Author Topic: densen keyboard  (Read 2756 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
densen keyboard
« on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 19:56:30 »
So I won an auction for what claims to be a Densen keyboard from the '70s.  Here is the link for the mobile version.

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=271608186543

Pics will be posted when it arrives.  Any idea what switches it has?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: densen keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 20:45:04 »
let's hope for hall effect
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 20:46:34 »
Yeah, not sure if I bid on it with hopes of restoring and converting to USB or just to clean up and collect to keep from getting thrown into the trash.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 21:33:55 »
um actually wow

That is some seriously rare stuff. 1st gen fujitsu leaf springs.

Will edit with pictures
ok so this KB is the fujitsu N860-6131
Haata album
https://www.flickr.com/photos/triplehaata/sets/72157635485878451/

These are vanishingly rare and only three have showed up on eBay in the last 6 or so years (to my knowlege).

Very linear, though mine isn't that great until I finally finish refurbing it. HaaTa's is fully refurbished and he brought it with him to Keycon.

He may be willing to help convert it as there are now three people with one that want it to work on USB, but we'll have to do some research into it. Usually the hardest part is finding a plug. We'll also need datasheets and pinouts of all the chips on the PCB.

Mine and his are from the sanyo MBC1000 computer (which was very very cheap at the time, oddly enough) and dates to roughly 1982.

The same KB was used for other computers too, I think the MBC2000 and 1500 had it as well, but I will have to doublecheck that. You can see them in pictures of the sanyo early PCs of the time.

OK hope this helps! Great find and a total steal of a price too. Yours appears to be in better shape than mine making it one of the best-condition examples known. Treat it right!

----
I note that my flickr doesnt have my pictures of it yep: uploading the ones I took now.

This KB actually has some really interesting legending techniques. 4 in total.
1. doubleshot
2. doubleshot blank then engrave through the first layer
3. singleshot, engraved and then infilled
4. doubleshot, engraved and then infilled (no idea why).

OK let me know if you have any questions or whatever.
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 September 2014, 21:44:29 by dorkvader »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 21:35:22 »
um actually wow

Will edit with pictures

Nice. I saw it when it went up and thought it was probably something boring.  Turns out I was wrong....just like with the IrmaKey Spamray got >:(

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 21:46:47 »
um actually wow

Will edit with pictures

Nice. I saw it when it went up and thought it was probably something boring.  Turns out I was wrong....just like with the IrmaKey Spamray got >:(

gotta roll those finds out past people like me to check.

Turns out a few other people knew about it and decided not to bid.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 21:51:38 »
um actually wow

Will edit with pictures

Turns out a few other people knew about it and decided not to bid.

I didn't post it here because I was being a selfish prick and didn't want the price going up to astonomical heights.  If I get rid of it, it will be sold here and not ebay.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 21:55:39 »

I didn't post it here because I was being a selfish prick and didn't want the price going up to astonomical heights.  If I get rid of it, it will be sold here and not ebay.

nono, I meant you have to PM people like me with questions about if a potential find is worth something.

I respect people's first dibs, but oftentimes will have seen it before they ask. everyone knows that things posted in great finds get bid up.
---
This KB you can tell is first gen fujitsu leafs by the keycaps and font. Compare with earlier fujitsu reed switch keyboards / keycaps
http://www7.ocn.ne.jp/~hisao/image/N860-9201.htm
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 September 2014, 21:58:51 by dorkvader »

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 22:01:32 »
Gotcha.  I didn't mean you was going to bid just people in general.  Any idea if this would be a possible candidate for a soarers converter?  Or is there other stuff going on here that this won't work?

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 22:12:44 »
Gotcha.  I didn't mean you was going to bid just people in general.  Any idea if this would be a possible candidate for a soarers converter?  Or is there other stuff going on here that this won't work?

Soarer's converter will not work. If you look at HaaTa's pictures that I linked, you can see the plug.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 16:26:08 »
Mmm.. First gen Fujitsu Leaf Spring. :) Here are some pics of the switch innards:
http://park10.wakwak.com/~jpspace/key/kaitai_fm8.html
🍉

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 13:27:32 »
Keyboard has arrived.  Will post pics tomorrow when the sun is out along with first impressions.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 01:11:15 »