Author Topic: [GB] CA66 Custom Keyboard Kit Round 2 (Shipping Now)  (Read 262562 times)

Offline mute

Re: [GB] CA66 Custom Keyboard Kit Round 2 (waiting for pending choices)
« Reply #250 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 11:13:08 »
I just want to say whoever is responding to the chat messages on the Play keyboard website is doing a fantastic job! I have made a number of additions to my order and they have been super helpful

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I second this.

Offline ramblinrose

« Reply #251 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 08:31:49 »
Yup was easy to add a last minute regular PCB to my order.
Now the wait begins!

Offline dondongler

• Gotta Light?
« Reply #252 on: Wed, 26 September 2018, 17:01:47 »
I see the bt pcb is still in stock on the site, is it possible to add one to my order so I can bundle shipping with the rest of my board? Sorry for any trouble this causes.

Offline lazyfart

« Reply #253 on: Fri, 05 October 2018, 20:29:15 »
Will there be a round 3? I just discovered this :( was so keen on alps and Bluetooth compatibility.

Offline 5inn3d-

« Reply #254 on: Sat, 06 October 2018, 03:02:54 »
any planned extras?

Offline NINJER

« Reply #255 on: Sun, 07 October 2018, 22:53:21 »
Any plans to do hot swap for next group buy? Would be very interested.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #256 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 20:55:52 »
I see the bt pcb is still in stock on the site, is it possible to add one to my order so I can bundle shipping with the rest of my board? Sorry for any trouble this causes.

We might have some extra available for purchasing after GB is done. :thumb:

Will there be a round 3? I just discovered this :( was so keen on alps and Bluetooth compatibility.

Any plans to do hot swap for next group buy? Would be very interested.

No sorry. :-[

any planned extras?

Might be!
Please follow out instagram for updates. :D

Offline 5inn3d-

« Reply #257 on: Tue, 09 October 2018, 15:53:04 »

any planned extras?

Might be!
Please follow out instagram for updates. :D

sweet looking forward! :)

Offline DePulse

« Reply #258 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 23:12:04 »
Planning to sell my spot if anyone's interested. Possibly a change of plan on my side. BT Pcb, alu plate, white case color, HHKB layout. Dm me!

Offline PM_Your_Switches

« Reply #259 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 10:06:09 »
I've heard a couple comments while watching build streams that the V2 CA66 is going to have the light strip elevated to help stop the light bleed into the surrounding keys. I can't find documentation of this anywhere; is it true?

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #260 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 10:08:06 »
I've heard a couple comments while watching build streams that the V2 CA66 is going to have the light strip elevated to help stop the light bleed into the surrounding keys. I can't find documentation of this anywhere; is it true?

Yes, Play Keyboards stated this during the IC. The Bluetooth pcb doesn’t have the elevated led strip but the wired one does!

Offline Vizir

« Reply #261 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 11:38:43 »
I thought both had it...

Yes, Play Keyboards stated this during the IC. The Bluetooth pcb doesn’t have the elevated led strip but the wired one does!

Offline PM_Your_Switches

« Reply #262 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 12:03:00 »

Thank you for the info! I went through the IC briefly when I joined the GB, but I must have missed that.

I'm super excited for this kit. I have a custom cable ready, Modern Dolch arrives around the same time, modded jailhouse green switches with gold 50g springs ready to go, and I built a pc to match everything. 

Offline ZyBeR

« Reply #263 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 17:22:53 »

So the BT pcb will leak light compared to the non bt-pcb?
Is there any pictures that show how big the difference is?

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #264 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 17:32:24 »

So the BT pcb will leak light compared to the non bt-pcb?
Is there any pictures that show how big the difference is?

There aren’t any photos at this time that I’m aware of. But that is correct. From the photos I’ve seen the light leak is pretty minimal and can be blocked if you feel so inclined. 001anthony did a build stream where he made a “light wall” to prevent light bleed using some foam.

Offline lazyfart

« Reply #265 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 02:12:35 »
Planning to sell my spot if anyone's interested. Possibly a change of plan on my side. BT Pcb, alu plate, white case color, HHKB layout. Dm me!

pm

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
Re: [GB] CA66 Custom Keyboard Kit Round 2 (CNC 50% done)
« Reply #266 on: Thu, 08 November 2018, 05:43:00 »
Hi guys. Hope you are all doing well. A quick update here.

CNC is 50% done.

We are kind of busy at the moment for multiple things coming up.
Sorry for the late reply if we can't do it on time.  :)

Offline opioid

« Reply #267 on: Fri, 09 November 2018, 22:43:57 »
Sad I missed out.  :( Will be following IG for possible extras but if anyone had a change of heart and is selling their BT WKL version let me know via PM!

Offline V. Vega

« Reply #268 on: Sat, 10 November 2018, 20:35:53 »
I hope there are extras!

Though if anyone decides they'd rather not keep their dark grey hhkb spot, I'd be happy to buy it  :D

Offline jrfhoutx

• Post count is meaningless if the content is trash.
« Reply #269 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 13:58:56 »
I’m hoping there will at least be extras of the standard V2 pcb and Alps plates... didn’t have the money at the time, but would really like to do an alps build of this...

Offline krey

« Reply #270 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 02:18:26 »
Very excited. definitely looking forward to seeing everything done.
Kepler FC65 | 7v | Think6.5 v1 | Maja | G60 | TX75v2 | Fjell | Klippe x2 | Acrylic Tofu | CA66 | Norbaforce

Offline xoxox1029

« Reply #271 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 21:36:08 »
i am looking for extra kits  :(

Offline factoryofidols

« Reply #272 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 00:45:29 »
Man I'm so bummed that I missed out on this. That blue case is exactly what I want for my upcoming MT3 Godspeed build  :(

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #273 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 22:17:34 »
I missed out on this as well. Are there plans for a R3 in the future?

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #274 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 00:26:42 »
i am looking for extra kits  :(
PCBs and plates or case?

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #275 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 00:31:03 »
looking for an extra PCB and alps plate here too...

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #276 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 00:50:01 »
I didn't get any Alps plates but depending on which one I decide to keep (bt/wired) I will probably have a spare PCB and plate to let go.

Offline Vizir

« Reply #277 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 08:14:15 »
I didn't get any Alps plates but depending on which one I decide to keep (bt/wired) I will probably have a spare PCB and plate to let go.

Pretty sure the BT pcb model is Alps compatible and I think the plates are too

Offline jrfhoutx

« Reply #278 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 10:50:31 »

Huh, I could've sworn it was the stock PCB that was Alps compatible, guess I was wrong. Going to be looking for a second BT PCB now, I guess.
If the plates weren't Alps or MX specific, why would an Alps plate have been an option? And why would both an MX and an Alps plate been shown as separate in the OP?

Offline Vizir

« Reply #279 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 11:04:17 »

Huh, I could've sworn it was the stock PCB that was Alps compatible, guess I was wrong. Going to be looking for a second BT PCB now, I guess.
If the plates weren't Alps or MX specific, why would an Alps plate have been an option? And why would both an MX and an Alps plate been shown as separate in the OP?
****. I guess I am looking for a Alps plate. If anyone has a spare or wants to sell, please pm me. Thanks. I am open to trade a brass plate for your alu alps plate.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 November 2018, 11:09:58 by Vizir »

Offline mute

« Reply #280 on: Tue, 20 November 2018, 14:52:06 »
So, has anyone bought their battery yet? I'm hoping to not have to solder one in case the battery goes bad. Any suggestions?

Offline soakedcardinal

« Reply #281 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 12:25:58 »
So, has anyone bought their battery yet? I'm hoping to not have to solder one in case the battery goes bad. Any suggestions?

I was planning on ordering one after I get dimensions of the available space . . I'm guessing you should be able to fit upwards of 3000 mAh using a long flat rectangular cell.

But I'm not positive how the circuit works. USB charging when plugged in, but how much current? - is the charging circuit specific for LiPo chemistry? (3.6-4.2V)

I would like to use a Li-Ion cell (3.2-4.2V) as that would make overcharging/overdischarging a lot less explosive (did I hear correctly that the LED bar does voltage monitoring?) and also fit a couple more mAh.

For connecting, it should be up to your preference . . I will probably use a connector though.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 November 2018, 12:40:22 by soakedcardinal »

Offline jrfhoutx

« Reply #282 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 23:21:56 »

I was planning on ordering one after I get dimensions of the available space . . I'm guessing you should be able to fit upwards of 3000 mAh using a long flat rectangular cell.

But I'm not positive how the circuit works. USB charging when plugged in, but how much current? - is the charging circuit specific for LiPo chemistry? (3.6-4.2V)

I would like to use a Li-Ion cell (3.2-4.2V) as that would make overcharging/overdischarging a lot less explosive (did I hear correctly that the LED bar does voltage monitoring?) and also fit a couple more mAh.

For connecting, it should be up to your preference . . I will probably use a connector though.

Yes, you can probably fit just about any single cell 3000mah lipo, theres a lot of room inside the case.
IDK about the charging circuit, but i would imagine you could easily use li-Ion cells instead, they have the same nominal voltage as a single lipo cell. might be hard to find a cell with a small enough diameter to fit in the case though. idk if an18 series would fit, but you might be able to fit a 14 series an just parallel a couple cells...

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #283 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 13:47:47 »

See this message from earlier:

I apologize if this has been answered before, but will it be possible to git an alps plate in place of the default plate at no extra cost? I don't need two :thumb:

Thanks

Sorry to say no. :-X

Would this battery: https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32820875729.html?pid=808_0000_0101&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.32820875729&aff_trace_key=6a61fd7838f946c4bc418407ca8645d1-1495827122980-06676-F233fuf&aff_short_key=F233fuf&aff_platform=msite work and do I need anything else like a connector? If I need a connector what should I look for?

You'll need a connector if you want to plug in/out easily. The size will be 1.25mm, 2 pin.
Or you can just remove the receptacle on PCB and solder wires in holes instead.

When ordering spare parts how would we select colors for aluminum plates (both regular and alps)? There isn’t an option to select plate colors. Should we make a note somewhere?

We already realized we missed the color choosing parts for both plates.
It's a bit complicate for setting up the page and we don't think change it during GB period is a good idea.
So we'll send emails to order owners for checking everyone's choice of colors.
Sorry for causing any inconvenience. :(

Offline mute

« Reply #285 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 13:20:49 »
Alright, thanks for the help. I actually just found one with the connector included:
https://www.amazon.com/uxcell%C2%AE-2500mAh-Rechargeable-Lithium-Polymer/dp/B0798K2Y8F/ref=sr_1_14_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1543431186&sr=8-14&keywords=3.7v+jst+1.5mm

There're larger ones, but I'm a little worried about it fitting:
https://www.amazon.com/uxcell%C2%AE-3000mAh-Rechargeable-Lithium-Polymer/dp/B0798D2DDJ/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1543431953&sr=8-1&keywords=3.7v+jst+1.5mm+3000mAh

The image from the IC post looks like the measurements are somewhere around 150mm x 50mm. Still not sure on the depth though.

Offline jrfhoutx

« Reply #286 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 21:08:10 »
Alright, thanks for the help. I actually just found one with the connector included:
https://www.amazon.com/uxcell%C2%AE-2500mAh-Rechargeable-Lithium-Polymer/dp/B0798K2Y8F/ref=sr_1_14_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1543431186&sr=8-14&keywords=3.7v+jst+1.5mm

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell%C2%AE-3000mAh-Rechargeable-Lithium-Polymer/dp/B0798D2DDJ/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1543431953&sr=8-1&keywords=3.7v+jst+1.5mm+3000mAh

The image from the IC post looks like the measurements are somewhere around 150mm x 50mm. Still not sure on the depth though.

There should be enough room for either of those batteries. I just took some rough measurements with a ruler, but either one should fit. The only thing I would be concerned with would be the switch pins.

Since you wouldn’t want them to puncture the battery, personally I would find the optimal location for the battery, mark it out on the board, and then of the switches that would be under the battery, I would clip the pins of those switches level with the pcb before soldering them, then use double sided tape to attach the batter to the bottom plate so it stays in place.

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #287 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 11:58:29 »
Can we get an update on where things are at? I expect a bit of delay but just trying to gauge approximately when we might expect shipping to start.

Offline upintheclouds

« Reply #288 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 13:22:16 »

There should be enough room for either of those batteries. I just took some rough measurements with a ruler, but either one should fit. The only thing I would be concerned with would be the switch pins.

Since you wouldn’t want them to puncture the battery, personally I would find the optimal location for the battery, mark it out on the board, and then of the switches that would be under the battery, I would clip the pins of those switches level with the pcb before soldering them, then use double sided tape to attach the batter to the bottom plate so it stays in place.

I used this rubber sheet https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WCZD1LZ under the PCB for a tray-mounted wood case where I carved out a space for the battery. I didn't 100% finish the build (screw issues compounded, but I digress), but this appeared to keep the pointy ends of the switches from puncturing the battery without having to clip them.

Offline jrfhoutx

« Reply #289 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 17:43:32 »
I personally would clip the pins, there’s only 5-6mm of clearance in the thinner portion of the board between the pcb and the bottom plate, and the single cell lipos listed are both 4mm thick. So you only have 1-2 mm of clearance, which the pins are 1-2mm above the pcb surface, which wouldn’t leave much room for that pad, but you might be able to squeeze it all in, but fit would be tight. Plus with lipos you always want to leave a little room for possible swelling (batterys should be replaced if they swell a lot), any excessive swelling might make that pad useless, and you really don’t want that lipo to get punctured...

To each their own, and everyone can do it as they please; but that’s how I would personally do it, just to ensure that everything was as safe as possible for my build. Last thing I want is a flaming CA66.

Offline Vizir

« Reply #290 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 20:00:54 »
just posting for more visibility, I am looking to buy an alps plate. forgot to order one. so if anyone has a spare, i'd love to take it off your hands. thanks!

Offline dondongler

• Gotta Light?
« Reply #291 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 15:57:52 »
This still shipping in a week? Lol

Offline DJ Shoko

« Reply #292 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 01:26:26 »
If anyone has a spare PCB I can buy off them, please PM me.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #293 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 01:32:38 »
We need a round 3, so sad I missed out. :(

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #294 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 01:58:44 »
We need a round 3, so sad I missed out. :(
According to OP there won't be one, but there are regularly ones that are for sale on r/mechmarket

Offline upintheclouds

« Reply #295 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 12:18:27 »
This still shipping in a week? Lol

Also wondering this. Is CNC still just at 50%? Are we getting these in December?

Offline DoCallMeKing

« Reply #296 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 20:25:43 »
Would be a great Xmas present to myself.
Really hope they finish up and get sent.

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
Re: [GB] CA66 Custom Keyboard Kit Round 2 (Ready to move to anodizing phase)
« Reply #297 on: Sat, 08 December 2018, 10:59:58 »
Hi guys. We just finished CNC process, and ready to move to anodizing phase.
This round wasn't as smooth as last one. We spent some time dealing with them.

Photos will be updated and posted in here like last time to let you guys know what's happening.  :thumb:

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #298 on: Sat, 08 December 2018, 11:41:33 »

Photos will be updated and posted in here like last time to let you guys know what's happening.  :thumb:

Looking forward to photos of the progress--those are always fun.  Do you mean "not as smooth" as in there were issues with QC?  Hopefully that's sorted.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #299 on: Sat, 08 December 2018, 11:46:27 »

Looking forward to photos of the progress--those are always fun.  Do you mean "not as smooth" as in there were issues with QC?  Hopefully that's sorted.

Pretty sure it’s meant as the process wasn’t as smooth as last time. There was the typhoon which slowed things down and the fact that they’re working on doppio TKL at the same time.