Author Topic: [IC] SKB2 - steel, isolation top mount, powder coated / ETA set!  (Read 288652 times)

Offline Nim

Re: [IC] SKB2 - steel, isolation top mount, powder coated / BEIGE VOTED!
« Reply #1100 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 07:37:35 »
Oh and one more thing I'd like to mention, not sure if I did already. I had always stated that the PCBs will be optional for you to add. I reconsidered, want to do it like most other GBs now. It will always be kits containing of CASE+PLATE+PCB. That lowers the base price a bit.

How will this work for the Boardwalk option?  Is that still going to be available without the PCB, or will we have to choose to have the normal 60% PCB and then just not use it?
Yeah I'm going for this as well. I don't use staggered layouts at all, so I'd have no use for a PCB

Offline honoka

« Reply #1101 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 08:11:00 »
What are the outer dimensions of the TKL version? We're looking at having some carrying cases made with internal cutouts in foam.
I would like to know the width and length. Height is not a factor I think.
Please share if you can Plastik

Offline PlastikSchnittstelle

« Reply #1102 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 10:22:03 »
Oh and one more thing I'd like to mention, not sure if I did already. I had always stated that the PCBs will be optional for you to add. I reconsidered, want to do it like most other GBs now. It will always be kits containing of CASE+PLATE+PCB. That lowers the base price a bit.

How will this work for the Boardwalk option?  Is that still going to be available without the PCB, or will we have to choose to have the normal 60% PCB and then just not use it?
Yeah I'm going for this as well. I don't use staggered layouts at all, so I'd have no use for a PCB

Good question, that's something I haven't found a good solution for jet. Hopefully I can figure something out, it should not mess with the current structure.

« Reply #1103 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 10:24:11 »
Unlimited?

Well, it's like that:
A lot have filled out the IC form but it's hard for me to tell how many of those actually mean it. I am prepared to deal with a high amount of orders. If really all who filled out the IC form will actually order - that would be too much and I would have to close it earlier. I'm pretty sure though that it will start slowly and won't get anywhere near the IC amount. It's hard to tell.

Brass plate option?

Yes, brass will be offered. Whenever there are more different parts made, less of the same get made. That will always raise the cost. Anyway, nothing regarding the range I mentioned has changed.
The brass plates will be quite expensive though. It's much more expensive than steel or stainless steel. It is not just the brass itself, the surface treatment (remember I'm not a fan of the shiny look) for the brass plate is bead blasting first and then black zink.
You don't have to go for brass, steel is almost as dense, also gets the black zink finish, but no bead blasting. That's a very affordable option.

Btw.

With unlimited I mean if you are going to offer just a few keebs of each type, so you dont have to deal with 200 keyboards yourself like you did with SKB1.

About the brass. Its going to look black then?
Maybe is more expensive, I'll decide later, but would like to try brass and with those amazing cut relief you did for the plate could be a cool plate.

If you offer the case+plate+pcb kit and that means that lower the price Im in. Anyways, I think most of the orders are going to be a complete kit with PCB

Limit per type?
No, only if the overall demand gets too high, I'll have to set a limit.

Brass black, yes?
Yes, exactly, matte, deep black.
It will have the same cutouts like the steel one I had shown here, last picture. Like I had mentioned the steel plate (which is shown in the picture) does not get bead blasted before the black zink treatment, that's only for the brass.

Kits
Yes, I think so too. If I would have made them to be ordered separately, I'm sure many would order and just forget to add the PCB and I would have to edit orders afterwards.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 April 2020, 10:28:53 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

« Reply #1104 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 10:24:32 »
What are the outer dimensions of the TKL version? We're looking at having some carrying cases made with internal cutouts in foam.
I would like to know the width and length. Height is not a factor I think.
Please share if you can Plastik

That sound nice!

Wait...
the TKL is 372mm wide and 155mm deep.

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
« Reply #1105 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 10:28:20 »

Good question, that's something I haven't found a good solution for jet. Hopefully I can figure something out, it should not mess with the current structure.

I'll have the same issue since I bought a boardwalk PCB from MKUltra just after early birding.hope you can find a not too painful solution.But I'm also planning on buying a second bigger option.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 April 2020, 10:31:18 by Senor Coconut »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #1106 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 10:37:14 »

Could you confirm whether or not the highlighted part still applies? It seems to be contradictory to the above statement.

Regarding the kits

Until now I had planned to offer case and PCB separately. I reconsidered this and now think that this would just lead to a lot off hassle for me. Why? Because I'm sure many would just order and then realize they forgot the PCB, so I'll have to edit orders afterwards. It will be a kit, case+plate+PCB. That's like most other GBs do it as well. For the 75, 95 and maybe even the TKL, it would not make sense anyway to offer it separately since they have custom PCBs that you don't get anywhere else. 60% and 65% is different. I'm aware that a few want hot swap PCBs, so for these two sizes, I'll add the option to buy "without PCB".

« Reply #1107 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 10:44:00 »
Haha, so I had mentioned it already! Even for me this thread gets too long :)
Thanks for the link.
Yes, that's what I had planned, but it's a bit complicated. Still working on figuring this out.

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

•  Post Reporting Timeout
« Reply #1108 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 14:12:04 »
~
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 April 2024, 20:59:08 by FearsomeCubedWarrior »

Offline hmmmwhatsthis

• no
« Reply #1109 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 16:29:48 »
Think I'll definitely be in for a 65%.
A level of certainty, but then again maybe not

No but yes ;)

Offline online

« Reply #1110 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 16:58:12 »
I'm in for a hhkb with my own custom pcb. don't need a pcb...

Offline eebogaine

« Reply #1111 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 17:41:58 »
What about early birds? Will they have to get PCBs too? I don't need PCB, as I've planned to use one from  the Klippe S kit.

Same here. I bought an XD68 PCB back when I nabbed the early bird.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #1112 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 18:57:38 »
So many layouts!

Offline killchain

« Reply #1113 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 02:28:18 »
So many layouts!

Now imagine a split ortho for the next iteration :D

Offline honoka

« Reply #1114 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 04:14:55 »
So many layouts!

but two 40's and set them up next to each other

Offline killchain

« Reply #1115 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 08:50:34 »
So many layouts!

but two 40's and set them up next to each other

Not enough rows for me. I'm thinking something like the BFO-9000, probably with some columns chopped off, i.e. 6 rows and 7 or 8 columns for each half.

Offline rabbbit

« Reply #1116 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 10:26:24 »
i am in defently

通过我的 OXF-AN10 上的 Tapatalk发言

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #1117 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 14:17:26 »
Thanks for the hard work on this. For those of us who would like custom plates, what is the process for ordering them? Thanks.

Offline honoka

« Reply #1118 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 14:54:01 »
Thanks for the hard work on this. For those of us who would like custom plates, what is the process for ordering them? Thanks.
I'm not sure when in the process Plastik will release the plate files. Probably after gb has closed. You can then use those plate design files to have plates cut in any material you wish from any company you want. If you are a member of any to you, local discord i would ask their for companies you could use.

Offline Bl4ck

« Reply #1119 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 14:57:17 »
I must say, I have just been lurking the thread waiting for the GB announcement :) and its getting crazy ahahah

« Reply #1120 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 16:04:31 »

Yeah, well, last time (SKB1), for anyone who contacted me regarding a custom plate, I took time to talk about the details (what layout exactly, kind of stabz, stabz orientation, etc). Then I made the DXF for them and they got them made elsewhere.

The process was basically: "just ask for it"

This time it would probably be too many requests. I guess this time, I would just release the standard plate files but for a custom file I would have to charge something. If I haven't figured this out by thursday at launch, we will figure it out together along the way.

Offline Bl4ck

« Reply #1121 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 16:06:30 »

Yeah, well, last time (SKB1), for anyone who contacted me regarding a custom plate, I took time to talk about the details (what layout exactly, kind of stabz, stabz orientation, etc). Then I made the DXF for them and they got them made elsewhere.

This time it would probably be too many requests. I guess this time, I would just release the standard plate files but for a custom file I would have to charge something. If I haven't figured this out by thursday at launch, we will figure it out together along the way.

wait wait wait, did you just announce the launch as it being thursday sneaky?

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
« Reply #1122 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 16:07:31 »
Yes, he just did…

« Reply #1123 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 16:09:00 »

wait wait wait, did you just announce the launch as it being thursday sneaky?

well, yes, now I did  :thumb:

had promised that it would definately be still this month and I won't be able to do it tomorrow, so it will have to be thursday  ;D

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
Re: [IC] SKB2 - steel, isolation top mount, powder coated / ETA set!
« Reply #1124 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 16:16:09 »
Great news !

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #1125 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 17:16:37 »
Owo, probably in for a 75% :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Idod

• Formerly templa23
« Reply #1126 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 00:02:28 »
Amazing to see that GB is soon, any idea on how you are gonna contact early bird buyers regarding additional payment and layout choices? Also asking if early bird buyers can buy a second kit.

Offline Mr_Guvnah

« Reply #1127 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 00:49:22 »
What will be the price of the 60% kit?

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
« Reply #1128 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 01:01:47 »
You'll know tomorrow for sure, Plastik said around $100 without PCB, but everything will be confirmed.

Offline kiwoli

« Reply #1129 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 01:37:13 »
Help! I can't decide between the 75% or the 95%!

Offline Vireca

« Reply #1130 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 03:37:35 »
Waiting for GB launch :D

I just hope you dont have to deal with a massive amount of orders yourself, for the sanity of your mind

Edit: when can we know the prices for each keeb model? Just to prepare the wallet :P
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 April 2020, 03:44:45 by Vireca »

Offline killchain

« Reply #1131 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 03:44:23 »

Consider this point of view: the 95% is just 3U wider than the 75%, but gives you a full numpad (if by any chance you're left-handed and you're using your mouse on the left, the board being wider should be a non-issue). You can't efficiently emulate a numpad on the 75% since there isn't a 3*3 non-staggered cluster of keys anywhere on it.
I'm personally going with the 95% since I've been using a 75% for a while and I miss a numpad. This is also why I would wanna try ortho (it allows you to put a numpad anywhere without the need of a dedicated cluster, the only sacrifice being that it has to be on a layer).

« Reply #1132 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 03:52:34 »
Amazing to see that GB is soon, any idea on how you are gonna contact early bird buyers regarding additional payment and layout choices? Also asking if early bird buyers can buy a second kit.

Yes, I figured that out.
Once the shop opens, early birds will have to set up a user account. This way I can make a coupon for that individual account. Early birds payed 110€, they would get a 130€ coupon code, so they save 20€. Sounds good?
And yes, sure they can add whatever they want.

« Reply #1133 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 03:56:39 »
You'll know tomorrow for sure, Plastik said around $100 without PCB, but everything will be confirmed.

with around 100$ I was referring to the smalles in the bunch, the 40%.
the 60% will still be over 100€ but not much.

Yes, you'll learn the exact pricing and more details tomorrow.

« Reply #1134 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 03:59:11 »

I just hope you dont have to deal with a massive amount of orders yourself, for the sanity of your mind

Edit: when can we know the prices for each keeb model? Just to prepare the wallet :P

Since I took time to set up a shop, the order process will be automated now. Much less work for me, won't have to write all the invoices myself.
Pricing tomorrow.

« Reply #1135 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 04:03:06 »

Consider this point of view: the 95% is just 3U wider than the 75%, but gives you a full numpad (if by any chance you're left-handed and you're using your mouse on the left, the board being wider should be a non-issue). You can't efficiently emulate a numpad on the 75% since there isn't a 3*3 non-staggered cluster of keys anywhere on it.
I'm personally going with the 95% since I've been using a 75% for a while and I miss a numpad. This is also why I would wanna try ortho (it allows you to put a numpad anywhere without the need of a dedicated cluster, the only sacrifice being that it has to be on a layer).

I'm obviously goingt to try the 95%. Generally I love 60% the most but I want to find out how much I would benefit from the numpad. Hard to say.

Offline Mr_Guvnah

« Reply #1136 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 04:07:21 »
Considering that the kit can be bought without a PCB, can the 60% case fit a DZ60 PCB?

Offline Vireca

« Reply #1137 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 04:28:00 »

Since I took time to set up a shop, the order process will be automated now. Much less work for me, won't have to write all the invoices myself.
Pricing tomorrow.
I think I read something about a discord. When will you open it? Tomorrow too?

« Reply #1138 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 04:29:07 »
I really don't know why you would prefer a DZ60 over Maarten's Plain60-C, maybe you already have it laying around, then OK.
Yes, it fits.

« Reply #1139 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 04:29:43 »

Pricing tomorrow.
I think I read something about a discord. When will you open it? Tomorrow too?

yes, also tomorrow  :thumb:

Offline Bonsa

« Reply #1140 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 04:35:05 »
I've been saving up all quarantine for building my very first keyboard, guess it's time to bring the wallet out...

Offline Idod

• Formerly templa23
« Reply #1141 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 04:41:23 »

Yes, I figured that out.
Once the shop opens, early birds will have to set up a user account. This way I can make a coupon for that individual account. Early birds payed 110€, they would get a 130€ coupon code, so they save 20€. Sounds good?
And yes, sure they can add whatever they want.

That sounds great! Can't wait for the GB and eventual product!

Offline Mr_Guvnah

« Reply #1142 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 04:50:53 »
What would be the shipping costs be for Australia?

« Reply #1143 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 04:53:09 »
there are a lot more details you will learn tomorrow, including the shipping rates  ;)

Offline radam

« Reply #1144 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 06:44:48 »
will the people who didn't get their skb1 get a coupon code, like the early birds?

« Reply #1145 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 07:21:54 »
will the people who didn't get their skb1 get a coupon code, like the early birds?

there are around five of you. I guess the coupon code method would be the most simple way here as well. I would have contacted you anyway.

Offline ZG2047

« Reply #1146 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 08:48:05 »
All aboard the hype train

Offline neutralstate

« Reply #1147 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 11:39:36 »
sorry i'm a little late to the party, but would there be support for 7U bottom row with a standard top?

(noticed there is only WKL and Standard for the 60% under the supported layouts...)

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #1148 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 11:52:28 »
sorry i'm a little late to the party, but would there be support for 7U bottom row with a standard top?

(noticed there is only WKL and Standard for the 60% under the supported layouts...)

That depends on the PCB. If you're going to use the Plain60-C PCB that comes bundled with the 60% kit, then yes, it's supported. Most other 60% PCBs support it too.

Offline sharkmorrison

« Reply #1149 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 14:32:12 »
I really don't know why you would prefer a DZ60 over Maarten's Plain60-C, maybe you already have it laying around, then OK.
Yes, it fits.

Just an example, because I've seen this mentioned a few times - I plan to use the DZ60 for the 2U left shift (with that row shifted 1/4U), and split space. Which the Plain60 won't support, and the plates couldn't realistically support. (Thus will be hoping for an option w/o the 2, and will have to get a custom plate made). Either way, excited!