Author Topic: New here not to Mechanical Keyboards.  (Read 1658 times)

Offline Lazer

New here not to Mechanical Keyboards.
« on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 03:38:44 »
Hey everyone here.
I have used IBM M Legendary and Das S.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: New here not to Mechanical Keyboards.
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 23:11:12 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Have used?  Which one are you using now?  I am using my SSK (during daylight hours, not while people are trying to sleep) and it's definitely one of my favourite keyboards.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Lazer

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 11:02:50 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Have used?  Which one are you using now?  I am using my SSK (during daylight hours, not while people are trying to sleep) and it's definitely one of my favourite keyboards.

Thanks!!
I have used IBM M clicky for around 3 years until it died. I still have it though it does not work anymore :-[ . I have had Das S borrowed from my brother for around 3 months until he took it back. Currently I am using my old Logitech G510 and badly in search of my next mechanical keyboard.
SSK is no doubt one of the best but tenkyless and I prefer 104 ones.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 11:41:02 »
Welcome!
You can still find nicely restored IBM keyboards for under $100 around.  You can still hunt around garage sales and thrift stores and get them for next to nothing.  You can also get a new Unicomp 103 key keyboard for under $100 brand new with a 1 year warranty.

Offline Lazer

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 12:30:11 »
Welcome!
You can still find nicely restored IBM keyboards for under $100 around.  You can still hunt around garage sales and thrift stores and get them for next to nothing.  You can also get a new Unicomp 103 key keyboard for under $100 brand new with a 1 year warranty.

I am looking to get around 5-10 mech keyboards for my studio. For my personal use I am already in talks with someone who has working M.
I have shortlisted k70 and cmstorm ultimate.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 05:50:38 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Thanks!!
I have used IBM M clicky for around 3 years until it died. I still have it though it does not work anymore :-[ . I have had Das S borrowed from my brother for around 3 months until he took it back. Currently I am using my old Logitech G510 and badly in search of my next mechanical keyboard.
SSK is no doubt one of the best but tenkyless and I prefer 104 ones.

That's about the first time I have heard of a Model M dieing! :eek:

Depending on what is wrong with it, you might be able to repair it.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Lazer

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 08:10:09 »
Haha actually died would be a wrong word here better I should say killed. It's chord got cut accidentally when I was trying hard to shut the metal drawer of my table with foot.
I have ordered two cables on clickykeyboards and have asked a friend for help in fixing it. So it may come back to life(touch wood).

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 00:31:09 »
Haha actually died would be a wrong word here better I should say killed. It's chord got cut accidentally when I was trying hard to shut the metal drawer of my table with foot.
I have ordered two cables on clickykeyboards and have asked a friend for help in fixing it. So it may come back to life(touch wood).

Cords are replacable!

I made a new PS/2 cable for one of my Model M.