Author Topic: MY HHKB Lite 2 "live" review  (Read 5393 times)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
MY HHKB Lite 2 "live" review
« on: Thu, 01 November 2007, 15:08:12 »
Well, here goes the typing test on the HHKB Lite 2. While it's really no Pro 2, it isn't really as bad as I thought it would be. Compared tot eh Pro 2, the keycaps feel a bit chinsy and so does the design, but all in all it's an alright 'board to type on. The "a" key is pretty stiff, but the rest seem even in force. I took out my Pro and replaced it with this one and I can type full bore on it right off. All in all, I think I'll like it for at work.

Now, the keystroke registers jsut before bottom, and apparently I make the same typos with this as I do teh Pro 2. I left those in on purpose, and those are my two most common typos on the Pro 2. That's impressive.

Give me a bit to play around with it and I'll post some picks. I am not at all mad I bought it, and I think it will serve it's purpose fine at work. The Pro 2 at home, the Lite 2 at the office, one big happy (enough) HHKB family.

By the way, the arrow keys feel so strange by themselves, and that's doubled by them being on a an HH Keyboard that I still use the Fn key modifiers to move the same as on the Pro 2. The arrow keys are those little half size ones I hate, plus they seem at a different angle than the rest of the keys. Ugly.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 01 November 2007, 20:21:45 »
I finished my review (so quick so I can go back to my Pro 2) and sent it off to iMav, but he is sleeping, so it might not be up for a bit. Here is a pic for you anyway:

Check my Flickr page for teh rest of the pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/xsphat/

Offline karlito

• http://altitudegame.com
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 01 November 2007, 20:52:44 »
you link has some extra img tags.

I'm glad you're not happy with the HHKB lite 2.  it's nice to confirm that im not crazy.

Offline mr_sf_applet

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 01 November 2007, 20:56:55 »
Waitaminute!! So the HHKB Lite 2 is *bigger* than the HHKB Pro 2?

Wow, I had no idea. For some reason, I'd just assumed that they were identically sized.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 01 November 2007, 20:58:57 »
Quote from: karlito
you link has some extra img tags.

Thanks, I fixed them now. I am no hacker.

Quote from: karlito
I'm glad you're not happy with the HHKB lite 2.  it's nice to confirm that im not crazy.

You're not crazy. I'm just going to keep it at work anyway, but it is not the best keyboard I've tried, not even the best of the worst.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 02 November 2007, 03:21:12 »
Quote from: xsphat
I finished my review and sent it off to iMav, but he is sleeping, so it might not be up for a bit.

You mean this review??  :)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 02 November 2007, 03:23:46 »
That would be the one. What do you think of it?

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 02 November 2007, 03:31:25 »
Quote from: xsphat
So is it worth it? No. For the same price, way better keyboards can be found. The SMK 85 with Alps switches costs similar to this, and it has the best switches I've ever felt.

It seems to me that you'd be much better served selling the HHKB Pro 2 and Lite 2 and buying a couple more SMK85's.  You'd be ahead of the game financially and you'd have severals 'boards with, what you deem, "the best switches" you've ever felt.  

Having had my Model M mini for a while now...I would trade my HHKB Pro in for a couple more of these (new, of course) in a heart beat.  Fortunately, it seems we will have a Model M mini / Endura Pro hybrid sometime in 2008 which may prove to be my favorite in the long run.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 02 November 2007, 03:35:55 »
There is something about the layout of the HHKB keyboards that I love. Now, make me an HHKB with the Alps switches and would be in heaven. But for now, I am keeping the HHKBs at my desks and the SMK 85 close at hand for when I need it. I do love the Pro 2, that may never change, so don't make my choose  :(

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 07 November 2007, 04:04:35 »
I think I may have been a little hard on the Lite 2 in my review. It's wierd, but it seems to be growing on me. I really can't explain it, because with all the great keyboards I have, it is far from the best, but it has something I can't quite put my finger on that I really like. I'll see if I can figure itn out and I'll get back to you.