Author Topic: GH sale thread?  (Read 33621 times)

Offline dimo

GH sale thread?
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 19:59:40 »
You know this could have all been avoided if you *******s just kept up with your $5 a month donations, right?

iMav gave no indication he can't afford it. If his rat ass told the community formally a few months ago we would have been fine.

The larger problem is that he really doesn't give a ****. The $35k difference between Zeal's offer and the Chinese is not worth what the community's state is for him.

It's just in his interest to grab 50k, get a new car and disappear from here with the thought that what he left behind re-cooperates into some new forum.

Noisyturtle's point that he's affording 3 separate mortgages is definitely in some indication that 200 a month should be nothing in comparison.

Well as pointed out 9 posts above yours, there was a post in the announcements thread three years ago about the site needing donations.

What the ****? He asked for donations 3 years ago.. that’s even worse, you know how much change this community has gone through in 3 years? with so many new members joining. My point still stands that he should have asked for help RECENTLY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 20:01:24 by dimo »

Offline Belfong

Re: GH sale thread?
« Reply #151 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 20:01:20 »
If you have traded or bought stuff in GH, and have PM people your address, telephone number and PayPal emails, you have given personal info out.

We need people like @Bunnylake, @BroCaps to start a new forum and pull everyone back together!

So you trust those you sell things to you've never met than a company that's governed by high levels of regulation?

New forums are the last thing we need if GH stays around in any form similar to what it is currently.

The last thing Bunny and Brocaps pushed on the community was Slack, and that almost killed GH without any money involved.

I don't trust any data mining or ad companies.
But anyway, moot point since @user18 just announced that the companies who bought it is not a data mining company...

But yeah, agreed on Slack almost killing off GH.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #152 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 21:02:18 »
I just want to clear up some of the uncertainty about the sale of the site.  The new owners have reached out to the mod team, and we've had a productive conversation.  They are not a data mining company or interested in the site for its users' personal data.  Instead they invested in the site out of a desire to preserve the community and nurture the keyboard hobby. 

A formal announcement will be coming tomorrow morning, and everyone will have an opportunity to ask their questions.

I don't mean to attack you, but do you really think a company would say "oh yeah we're gonna sell all the **** these suckers have posted in PMs here LOL"?  I highly, highly doubt they are as altruistic as you say when iMav didn't just chill everyone out by saying something like "it's cool guys, we're just selling to X company you guys all know" or whatever.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #153 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 21:33:55 »
I just want to clear up some of the uncertainty about the sale of the site.  The new owners have reached out to the mod team, and we've had a productive conversation.  They are not a data mining company or interested in the site for its users' personal data.  Instead they invested in the site out of a desire to preserve the community and nurture the keyboard hobby. 

A formal announcement will be coming tomorrow morning, and everyone will have an opportunity to ask their questions.

I don't mean to attack you, but do you really think a company would say "oh yeah we're gonna sell all the **** these suckers have posted in PMs here LOL"?  I highly, highly doubt they are as altruistic as you say when iMav didn't just chill everyone out by saying something like "it's cool guys, we're just selling to X company you guys all know" or whatever.

The new owners don't want to be made public until they have their announcement ready tomorrow morning. That was the request to the moderation team, and I presume to iMav as well. If I thought there was a risk of my of data being sold, or anyone else's, I would already have stepped down from the mod team, and cleared as much of my own personal data from the site as I could, because that's not something I want to be a part of. I was ready to do just that as of this morning. The only reason I haven't is because I believe, after having spoken with the new owners, that there's a positive path forward.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #154 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 21:36:22 »

The new owners don't want to be made public until they have their announcement ready tomorrow morning. That was the request to the moderation team, and I presume to iMav as well. If I thought there was a risk of my of data being sold, or anyone else's, I would already have stepped down from the mod team, and cleared as much of my own personal data from the site as I could, because that's not something I want to be a part of. I was ready to do just that as of this morning. The only reason I haven't is because I believe, after having spoken with the new owners, that there's a positive path forward.

Thank you for the clarification.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #155 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 21:38:12 »

Interesting to hear.

Cautiously looking forward to tomorrow.

Offline gt1989

« Reply #156 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 21:38:23 »

So this means that the deal is finalized, correct? There isn't going to be another fall out, because someone else offered even more money to iMav.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Belfong

« Reply #157 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 21:41:41 »
I can understand paying $10K for GH and then hands off and letting the community run it.
But I don't believe that someone or company will pay $50K for GH and then hands off and let the community run it. That's a huge sum and there must be some return of this investment, no? If they wanted to earn ad revenue, yeah, I can buy that as well.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #158 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 21:50:03 »
So this means that the deal is finalized, correct? There isn't going to be another fall out, because someone else offered even more money to iMav.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

To the best of my knowledge, this is a done deal.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #159 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 22:25:31 »
Now that iMav's out of the picture, can we unlock the original thread so that this discussion can continue in it's original context?

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #160 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 22:50:34 »
Now that iMav's out of the picture, can we unlock the original thread so that this discussion can continue in it's original context?

I'd prefer not to reopen a thread full of so much drama, and I don't see why the discussion can't continue here.

If you like, I can post a link here at the end of that thread, in case anyone's not aware of this one -- but I think it makes it even harder to follow to start there, then here, then back there, and likely to the new owners' announcement thread tomorrow.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #161 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 22:53:11 »

I'd prefer not to reopen a thread full of so much drama, and I don't see why the discussion can't continue here.

If you like, I can post a link here at the end of that thread, in case anyone's not aware of this one -- but I think it makes it even harder to follow to start there, then here, then back there, and likely to the new owners' announcement thread tomorrow.

Just wanted to say Thank you for not being Knee Jerk and just reacting to everything. I think you and TP have both been very sensible about things. Personally I am nervous and excited. I am nervous for the change but excited for what it could mean.

Offline dimo

GH sale thread?
« Reply #162 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 22:53:43 »

agreed, just redirect discussion here since it will probably move to a new thread after their announcement tomorrow
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 22:56:54 by dimo »

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #163 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 22:55:27 »

agreed, just redirect discussion here since it will probably move to the new thread after their announcement tomorrow

Done!

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #164 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 22:57:44 »
Should 4th of July now be known as Geekhack Independence day?
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #165 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 22:59:58 »
I wonder what happens now.
I'll wait for the official announcement to see whether or not I should stay, but I wonder what one should do if things start to look grim.
I would rather not migrate to DT myself or endorse it as I imagine it would disrupt the type of community they built and cultivated there.

Geekhack was in quite the special place where we had the cancerous dialogue of reddit mixed in with the kind of knowledge from DT, and I doubt we would fit in either community very well.

Fingers crossed that either the new owners are decent people or that a new site is created in GH's place.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #166 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 23:43:41 »

+1

Positive outlook thus far, but obviously there is some trust to be earned (inherent to any big change like this). I hope we can all hold on to our collective butts and wait to see how this all shakes out.  :thumb:

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #167 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 23:57:23 »

+1

Positive outlook thus far, but obviously there is some trust to be earned (inherent to any big change like this). I hope we can all hold on to our collective butts and wait to see how this all shakes out.  :thumb:

Pls hoff. If you clench your butt and it all "shakes out", that's a very bad thing. A very bad thing  :-[
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #168 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 00:06:46 »
Privately hosted message board based communities are a nightmare for disclosure and data privacy. Communities like geekhack are an anachronism. The fact that someone actually "owns" a community shows just how naive everyone has been; not just at geekhack but every message board community you participate in.  Even if the new owners are champions of geekhack (which I am crossing my fingers for), it doesn't change the fact that someone "owns" all of the collaboration, troubleshooting, and hard work over the last decade and all of our private messages. I honestly don't know what the solution is but right now geekhack's alternatives do not appeal to me, never have, and from the looks of it i am not the only one.

I regret every dumb thing I've said here. This really bums me out.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #169 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 00:09:06 »
Where are people getting this info that iMav sold gh already?

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #170 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 00:39:14 »
Where are people getting this info that iMav sold gh already?
Probably mod team telling people

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #171 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 01:19:48 »
How about an official place where I can read info so that I would not have to chase around and get piecemeal and inaccurate info?

I deleted my personal messages because I did not want addresses among them to fall into the hands of a datamining company. Did I need to do that or not? Will the buyer receive a backup of my personal messages to rummage through?

Offline Belfong

« Reply #172 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 01:34:56 »
official announcement is tomorrow..

Offline dimo

« Reply #173 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 02:03:51 »
Everyone shut the **** up until the announcement tomorrow. Stop spurring stuff up based off your own ****ty detective work.

And no, there’s no point to deleting your pm’s by hand. Backups are everywhere.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #174 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 03:25:40 »
Mirrors?

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #175 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 04:02:13 »
waiting for official announcement

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #176 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 08:36:22 »
:thinking:
23h18 - photekq: hhkb with silenced realforce sliders and lubricated well is
23h18 - photekq: the best switch i've used

Offline Petch

« Reply #177 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 08:46:34 »
Is it morning yet

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #178 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 08:56:41 »
You can expect something up around Pacific Standard Time mid-late morning.  Around 3 more hours.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #179 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 09:37:58 »
i've largely stayed out of this but clearly y'all don't know imav that well if you're surprised by this at all

and i still maintain that i'm gonna quit if anything too ****y happens

i'll make my own forum with blackjack and hookers
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #180 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 09:48:38 »
will miss you if you go. you can be way too opinionated and too much of a know it all sometimes, but you're alright in my book lad.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #181 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 09:49:48 »
i've largely stayed out of this but clearly y'all don't know imav that well if you're surprised by this at all

need url for blackjack and hooker forum please.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #182 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 10:14:20 »
will miss you if you go. you can be way too opinionated and too much of a know it all sometimes, but you're alright in my book lad.

thanks

ill be around elsewhere

but who's gonna quote pics and type "nice" if i leave?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #183 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 10:14:36 »

need url for blackjack and hooker forum please.

we'll see

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #184 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 10:18:44 »
+1 to what the mods have said.  Cautious optimism is warranted, at this point.  Despite how this event has been handled to date, that is not on the new site owner.  It all happened very fast.  It will, however, be on them to earn our trust over time.
Russ

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #185 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:02:49 »

Offline dimo

« Reply #186 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:29:30 »

Offline Lanx

« Reply #188 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 13:04:21 »
Did anyone send Ripster a pm on reddit? he'd finally be able to overlord

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #189 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 13:37:34 »
+1 for posting this thread in Off Topic

Offline Gettys

« Reply #190 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 14:55:46 »
Oh...merp

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #191 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 15:43:30 »
I suppose we'll see what comes of it in the months to follow.

For me, geekhack is all about the community.  The makers.  The drama.  The asshats.  The givers.  It's all here in perfect proportions.  (Probably need to give a shout out to moderators here too.  The true unsung heroes who keep it all in balance).

I honestly think a lot of what has kept geekhack alive and well is the wealth of information and how well it is indexed on this website and on Google.  This old style of paginated posts might seem outdated to newcomers, but it is certainly search engine friendly.

Hope to god we don't see some javascript heavy site with progressively loading comment chains that are nearly impossible to edit on mobile.

What will the website geekhack.org will become in the future?  I'm trying to wrap my head around why our community has thrived and continued to grow on an older platform.  Yes, Massdrop has helped push forward by bringing more people into the keyboard community.  So has reddit. But this website is the heart of it all. It's our rallying spot.  All I ask is that if you kids decide to pack up camp, please don't sneak off without telling us where you are headed :)

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #192 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 16:09:54 »
I thought auctions were against the rules?! :)

I can offer 1 Beast Cherry MX switch-tool and some vintage blacks for complete transfer of ownership. My lawyers are ready with the paperwork.

Offline Sonikbotnik

• Formerly zorodude
« Reply #193 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 20:06:33 »
Privately hosted message board based communities are a nightmare for disclosure and data privacy. Communities like geekhack are an anachronism. The fact that someone actually "owns" a community shows just how naive everyone has been; not just at geekhack but every message board community you participate in.  Even if the new owners are champions of geekhack (which I am crossing my fingers for), it doesn't change the fact that someone "owns" all of the collaboration, troubleshooting, and hard work over the last decade and all of our private messages. I honestly don't know what the solution is but right now geekhack's alternatives do not appeal to me, never have, and from the looks of it i am not the only one.

Wait, wait, wait. So you're telling me after all this time, this whole thing has been owned by one man, and no one saw this coming?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #194 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 20:08:08 »

Wait, wait, wait. So you're telling me after all this time, this whole thing has been owned by one man, and no one saw this coming?

those of us who have been here a while saw the writing on the wall a long time ago

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #195 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 20:21:15 »

For me, geekhack is all about the community.  The makers.  The drama.  The asshats.  The givers.  It's all here in perfect proportions. 

For Tp4, Geekhack is all about the Super Attractive Geeky Females, who has or will one day Post fotos and possibly PM Tp4 some digits. !!

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #196 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 21:34:24 »

those of us who have been here a while saw the writing on the wall a long time ago

I always knew it might be a possibility, but I never thought it would go down the way it did.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #197 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 18:17:06 »
As many here, I am uneasy about selling GH to a corporation (or to a national entity).

What about making GH a club with annual dues? Has this been considered and possibly rejected?

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #198 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 18:19:04 »
As many here, I am uneasy about selling GH to a corporation (or to a national entity).

What about making GH a club with annual dues? Has this been considered and possibly rejected?

GH already sold

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #199 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 18:22:52 »
 :confused: now I understand