Author Topic: GH sale thread?  (Read 33623 times)

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: GH sale thread?
« Reply #200 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 20:37:12 »
As many here, I am uneasy about selling GH to a corporation (or to a national entity).

What about making GH a club with annual dues? Has this been considered and possibly rejected?

Might want to take a look at this thread:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=96513.0

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #201 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 05:35:06 »
As many here, I am uneasy about selling GH to a corporation (or to a national entity).

What about making GH a club with annual dues? Has this been considered and possibly rejected?

GH already sold

It was also already considered for that kind of thing to happen. People were asked for donations, people started to donate monthly then stopped. Asking nicely for money didn't work and asking everyone to pay money was met with lots of disagreement.

I've voiced my opinion about all the above before, but my donations have continued after the sale to Massdrop, completely unintentionally on my part as I thought they would be cancelled when the sale was finalised, so I don't think they were taken seriously towards the end.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #202 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 06:08:31 »

GH already sold

It was also already considered for that kind of thing to happen. People were asked for donations, people started to donate monthly then stopped. Asking nicely for money didn't work and asking everyone to pay money was met with lots of disagreement.

I've voiced my opinion about all the above before, but my donations have continued after the sale to Massdrop, completely unintentionally on my part as I thought they would be cancelled when the sale was finalised, so I don't think they were taken seriously towards the end.

Yes it was and I remember all that happening.

I'm not surprised they were not cancelled though. That's pretty ****ty they weren't cancelled by iMav prior to the sale finalizing.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #203 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 10:28:21 »

GH already sold

Wait a minute... so iMav has still been getting your donations?  That's messed up!

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #204 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 15:32:50 »
I simply wanted to "clear the air" regarding the GH sale. 

I never wanted GH to be a money-making endeavor.  It was simply a "labor of love" for me...  However... Last year, I moved from WI to ND to be close to family (my mother-in-law is recently widowed and my mom is close to death)...I had two rentals that would have covered my two properties in WI. Given that security, I bought a home in ND.  Afterwards, BOTH fell through.  So I had to deal with THREE mortgages for over 8 months when I only planned for one.  I have liquidated EVERYTHING.  We managed to sell ONE property (and needed to invest over $30k into that property to get it ready for sale)...  We are still dealing with two mortgages.  It pains me to admit that I made, last year, $190k.  MANY folks have said, "BS.  He would have had to make over $100k to cover 2 mortgages."

I am in the process of filing bankruptcy.  Embarassing and depressing... but true. 
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 April 2019, 15:35:48 by iMav »

Offline the_ambyguous

• there's a fine line between click and clack
« Reply #205 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 00:05:22 »

I never wanted GH to be a money-making endeavor.  It was simply a "labor of love" for me...  However... Last year, I moved from WI to ND to be close to family (my mother-in-law is recently widowed and my mom is close to death)...I had two rentals that would have covered my two properties in WI. Given that security, I bought a home in ND.  Afterwards, BOTH fell through.  So I had to deal with THREE mortgages for over 8 months when I only planned for one.  I have liquidated EVERYTHING.  We managed to sell ONE property (and needed to invest over $30k into that property to get it ready for sale)...  We are still dealing with two mortgages.  It pains me to admit that I made, last year, $190k.  MANY folks have said, "BS.  He would have had to make over $100k to cover 2 mortgages."

I am in the process of filing bankruptcy.  Embarassing and depressing... but true.

Hey, I'm in talks with a bankruptcy lawyer / making payments until I can afford to file for the small amount of 10k, and I'm only 25. Theres no shame in falling, you've just gotta make sure you brush it off and get back up again. Financial troubles are the worst kind, but it can and does happen to the best of us. Good luck on getting through this, and godspeed to recovery.
Magnavox Typewriter | AEK64 | 658-4081 | Leading Edge 3501 | Omnikey Orange | 197Stotle | MPC2000

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #206 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 10:04:19 »

:'(