geekhack Community > Off Topic

Brin'out ur'ded

<< < (2/7) > >>

chyros:

--- Quote from: fohat.digs on Thu, 14 July 2022, 20:27:25 ---
--- Quote from: chyros on Thu, 14 July 2022, 19:31:10 ---
I thought they couldn't catch fire

--- End quote ---

Well, they are wood. The concept is that they have really thick bark so that fires can burn around them and scorch the first few layers, but the bark is so thick that it doesn't go deep enough to get into the live part and really hurt them. And of course they are so tall that the fire can sweep through the area but only get part way up their height.

Unfortunately now, after years (decades?) of drought, the bark is probably drier farther in and so more likely to burn deep, as well as the trees are just being stressed in general.

--- End quote ---
Maybe I remembered incorrectly but from my visit to Sequoia NP I remember that the trees are fire-resistant. They're also really soft and the wood basically just falls apart into loose fibres. From what I recollect this was given as the reason for them never being cut down because the wood can't be used to create fire or any sort of furniture. In other words the wood is completely useless to humans and that's why they were never cut down.

fohat.digs:

--- Quote from: chyros on Fri, 15 July 2022, 02:53:32 ---
Maybe I remembered incorrectly but from my visit to Sequoia NP I remember that the trees are fire-resistant.

They're also really soft and the wood basically just falls apart into loose fibres. From what I recollect this was given as the reason for them never being cut down because the wood can't be used to create fire or any sort of furniture.

In other words the wood is completely useless to humans and that's why they were never cut down.

--- End quote ---

Ha Ha Ha !

Your memory may be fine but you were probably fed extravagant disinformation.

"resistant" does not mean "no way"

The wood is exceptionally beautiful and desirable, and those forests were logged relentlessly in previous centuries.
National Parks were created by Theodore Roosevelt to safeguard what was left of our most valuable chunks of nature from exploitation.

tp4tissue:
They in our base killing our tree_dudez.

Leslieann:

--- Quote from: chyros on Fri, 15 July 2022, 02:53:32 ---Maybe I remembered incorrectly but from my visit to Sequoia NP I remember that the trees are fire-resistant. They're also really soft and the wood basically just falls apart into loose fibres. From what I recollect this was given as the reason for them never being cut down because the wood can't be used to create fire or any sort of furniture. In other words the wood is completely useless to humans and that's why they were never cut down.

--- End quote ---
For structure Redwood is pretty useless (too soft), we do use it for fencing though.

Redwood, Cedar and Teak are all resistant to weather.

fohat.digs:

--- Quote from: Leslieann on Fri, 15 July 2022, 11:21:17 ---Redwood, Cedar and Teak are all resistant to weather.

--- End quote ---

Redwood and Cedar are softwoods, while the tropical hardwoods are incredibly dense and many will sink if put in water. Tropical hardwoods also have quite a bit more silica in them as well as natural oils.

Since trees take up nutrients through their root systems, most all of the chemicals that they produce are, in the end, water-soluble. Exposed to nature, their natural resistance to those inevitable attacking organisms will eventually be leached out of them. Their structure determines how quickly water can move through them to carry away their natural defenses, and the chemistry of the resistance is determined by species and soil.

That process can vary from months to decades.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version