Author Topic: that moment when you almost have it  (Read 4707 times)

Offline PlayBox

that moment when you almost have it
« on: Fri, 14 April 2023, 15:50:12 »
did you also experience the moment when you almost have the keyboard or any other thing you want but the budget can't allow you to buy it just yet, like you know you will buy it soon but you can't now. im atthis exact moment right now and the fact that im literally 30-40$ away from buying my first custom (been here for a while been unable to buy any custom kyboards) kinda drives me insane. i really hate this feeling of anticipation but i have to be patient i guess :D
propably sent from my amazon kindle 10th gen

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: that moment when you almost have it
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 April 2023, 16:47:36 »
Worse is delayed satisfaction that finally gets requited, only to see "the new thing" come out shortly after ....

Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 April 2023, 17:40:44 »
I certainly remember my first purchase all those years ago.  I still get excited even for little things like switches.

It's fun to know you have it coming at some point.  Relish the fact that you have planned it out and saved up and it will be yours in time.

It might not be everything you expected because it is your first and you have no baseline for comparison.  But I'm excited for you  :D

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 April 2023, 06:44:12 »
Worse is delayed satisfaction that finally gets requited, only to see "the new thing" come out shortly after ....

LOL. Yes, fohat—if you're not careful, it never stops, does it?

PlayBox, I'm guessing you're still rather young. That's great—but as you go through life, you may find that wanting things and not having them right away is what makes them more satisfying and meaningful when you do get them.

I actually feel sorry for people who can buy whatever they want. It may sound fun—but I've known people like that, and most of them are very, very bored unless they deliberately seek things they can't just buy (e.g., learning to play a musical instrument, or speak another language).

People need challenges, things to work for. It's what gives us character. I suggest you savour the feeling of not yet having that great keeb, so you can appreciate it even more when you get it. Cheers!
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 April 2023, 03:35:11 »

LOL. Yes, fohat—if you're not careful, it never stops, does it?

PlayBox, I'm guessing you're still rather young. That's great—but as you go through life, you may find that wanting things and not having them right away is what makes them more satisfying and meaningful when you do get them.

I actually feel sorry for people who can buy whatever they want. It may sound fun—but I've known people like that, and most of them are very, very bored unless they deliberately seek things they can't just buy (e.g., learning to play a musical instrument, or speak another language).

People need challenges, things to work for. It's what gives us character. I suggest you savour the feeling of not yet having that great keeb, so you can appreciate it even more when you get it. Cheers!
yes im young and yes your point is true and i agree with it

Offline VaporKeebs

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 25 April 2023, 03:52:19 »
Honestly... chances are your first will be pretty forgettable.

Ive built 20 boards now, 3 more on the way. And I have just hit my endgame with my 20th board. I guess 20th time is a charm.

At first I thought I needed a knob for my endgame. I quickly found that even with a super nice knob 65% like my LW-67, I just never use the knob.

I found myself more and more liking slightly obscure layouts and chonky bezels. I was being drawn toward the boards the mimic older boards I saw when I was younger.

Then one day, someone posted a Class65 for sale. A board I didnt get a chance to join previous GBs for. I think the last version went live when I first started building and no knob no care. Well I wanted a board to match my dream caps, GMK Analog Dreams. And the base off white beige looked to match the case color of the Class65. It was a soldered 65% gasket-mount board millmaxed to a split backspace and 7u spacebar. Non exploded arrow cluster with a left side exploded 5key macro column and right side exploded 3key macro column. Slightly obscure but nothing hard to get used to. Case matched my favorite set flawlessly and it has truly become my dream board.

Just expect to do some learning before you find a board that screams "dont buy anything else fam... i got you."

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 25 April 2023, 07:32:02 »
Honestly... chances are your first will be pretty forgettable.

Ive built 20 boards now, 3 more on the way. And I have just hit my endgame with my 20th board. I guess 20th time is a charm.

At first I thought I needed a knob for my endgame. I quickly found that even with a super nice knob 65% like my LW-67, I just never use the knob.

I found myself more and more liking slightly obscure layouts and chonky bezels. I was being drawn toward the boards the mimic older boards I saw when I was younger.

Then one day, someone posted a Class65 for sale. A board I didnt get a chance to join previous GBs for. I think the last version went live when I first started building and no knob no care. Well I wanted a board to match my dream caps, GMK Analog Dreams. And the base off white beige looked to match the case color of the Class65. It was a soldered 65% gasket-mount board millmaxed to a split backspace and 7u spacebar. Non exploded arrow cluster with a left side exploded 5key macro column and right side exploded 3key macro column. Slightly obscure but nothing hard to get used to. Case matched my favorite set flawlessly and it has truly become my dream board.

Just expect to do some learning before you find a board that screams "dont buy anything else fam... i got you."
i already bought my first and its honestly a dissapointment (its redragon k552 with xvx keycaps and akko rose reds). i also thought i need a specific layout (tkl at the time) but i found i don't use f keys at all and now im getting the tofu65 2.0 to try out mounting styles as the main focus.

Offline matt-taco

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 10 May 2023, 20:34:05 »
im atthis exact moment right now and the fact that im literally 30-40$ away from buying my first custom

This is what you do. Drink a Four Loko or 3, then purchase everything with a credit card (doesn't have you be yours ;p) and reckon with it in the morning.

I had this experience buying a first gen linear space invaders, blue alps, green alps, mitsumi standard m0116, and a NOS black space invaders. As a wise college student, I almost have the bill paid.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 14 May 2023, 02:45:33 »

Yeah that can be rough, I'm currently at the stage where I don't really care about hype and honestly not caring for hyped up things and looking for the perfect board for you is so much more fulfilling (And will save you a lot of money lol) than chasing the next big thing.