Author Topic: Just Another Keymaker: Garden Key Design and Casting  (Read 11654 times)

Offline RocketGruntJake

• Brb, gotta grow some flowers
Just Another Keymaker: Garden Key Design and Casting
« on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 06:27:33 »
Hello Fellow Keyboard Enthusiasts!

My Name is Rocket Grunt Jake and I have been making keycaps and posting them over at Reddit for some time now, I figured it was time to start a thread here to share my progress and to give more regular updates. I'm excited to share my progress and get to know the community more as I delve deeper into the art of making artisans.

I started my journey in early April of this year with lots of ideas and even more to learn. I was inspired to start making my own keycaps when I began becoming a more active participant of the community over on Reddit which also coincided with my collection of keyboards growing.

My first sculpt was done with Super Sculpey and was my attempt at a pokeball.

147069-0

While I was pleased with the quality of the caps I was able to cast using allumilites amazing casting resin I was rather dissatisfied with the sculpt itself and endeavored to try new techniques. My next brilliant idea for keycap making was to try doing my own legends. I had not seen anyone before try this and had grand aspirations.

First Attempt

147071-1

They were rough but I could see that it was possible so I kept refining my process all the while getting more experience casting the caps themselves. Ultimately I was able to fairly constantly get a legend on a text with this being a prime example.

147073-2

This process took maybe a month but I didn't garner much interest in custom SA row 3 keycap sets and the amount of effort needed to produce even one would have been astronomical. So I moved onto new designs!

Once I got my hands on the first edition of the Synth my prototyping capabilities and speed increased immensely. This was the first guy I made and I liked him a lot but again an interest check did not garner that much attention.

147075-3

I then went on to make the first cap I ever sold, Gramps

147077-4

I have a special place in my heart for this guy even though he wasn't the most popular cap made. I made nine of them for my original sale about a month ago, here they are all together.

147079-5

After gramps came my current project which has gained a lot of attention since I firt posted and is what I consider my best sculp and idea yet. A simple Rose.

147081-6
147083-7
147085-8

I had been making face keycaps for so long I told myself try something different, clearly you just can't sculpt a face. This was my creation after that revelation and I think it was a good choice to make. I have been practicing with several colors and have made multiple molds in an effort to produce enough of these to have an initial sale sometime in the hopefully near future. Here is a little glimpse at some of the colors I have made so far.

147087-9

I hope you have enjoyed getting to know my history of making keycaps and I look forward to getting to know the community and sharing my future sculpting!

147089-10

-RocketGruntJake

« Last Edit: Wed, 14 September 2016, 13:13:47 by RocketGruntJake »

Offline jaffers

Re: I'm Just Another Keymaker, Let's Make Stuff!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 07:23:59 »
Literally made a **** keycap

10/10

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 07:24:09 »
is that a penis?

the roses are beautiful tho

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 08:08:41 »
Literally made a **** keycap

10/10

Show Image

Shhhhh, don't tell anyone
But seriously, gramps is uhh.. Well endowed.
It's important to note that cap made me realize I should take a break from making faces.
I have a few left of you want one to grace your board;)

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 08:11:15 »
is that a penis?

the roses are beautiful tho

If that makes the cap better haha

Thanks!
The rose cap just compliments SA profile so very well. It's a little high for other profiles but imo still looks really good. Here is a pic of more on some keyboards.

147109-0

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 08:46:29 »
Pretty rose :)

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 09:14:49 »
Not a valid %s URL

Thanks!
I'm very excited to see it on other peoples boards.
Is there any colorway you'd like to see? I've been experimenting with colors but making what someone wants is never a wrong way to go. I can do double shots with colored leaves and a different colored base as well as solid colors and glitter caps. Challenge me:)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 09:29:20 »
Not a valid %s URL

Thanks!
Is there any colorway you'd like to see? I've been experimenting with colors but making what someone wants is never a wrong way to go. I can do double shots with colored leaves and a different colored base as well as solid colors and glitter caps. Challenge me:)

How about--hmm, mint chocolate chip?

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 09:38:09 »
Not a valid %s URL

Thanks!

I'll make it happen tonight and post it here!

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 15:53:00 »
I really like those rose caps, would you consider selling one?
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 16:00:40 »
Not a valid %s URL

Thanks!

:) :D :cool: :eek: :blank:

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 19:27:01 »
I really like those rose caps, would you consider selling one?

I do plan on selling them in the near future, I am amassing a decent number of good casts to have an initial sale, I hope to have somewhere near 100 available but we'll see. I currently have somewhere near 40 of them casted that look very good!

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 19:27:45 »
Not a valid %s URL

Thanks!

Just poured it!
Let's see how it comes out

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 19:39:27 »
Just a field of Roses

147186-0

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 19:59:16 »
Not a valid %s URL

Thanks!

Ask and ye shall receive

147188-0

147190-1

147192-2

I'm really liking how this one came out, excellent suggestion csmertx

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 20:20:02 »
That looks amazing!

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 20:28:54 »
That looks amazing!

Thanks!
Never would have existed if you hadn't visited my thread:)
Just made a hanna colorway one

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 11:59:31 »
Should I pick it?

147214-0

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 12:08:33 »
I'm loving the rose

How about a tulip sometime in the future? Would look nice and sit side by side well since it doesn't have the spread up top.

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 12:13:05 »
I'm loving the rose

How about a tulip sometime in the future? Would look nice and sit side by side well since it doesn't have the spread up top.

Show Image

That is one of my goals!
I'm hoping to do a whole series of flowers that compliment eachother across the top row.
I've done a few test sculpts and once I see how successful this first sale is I intend to focus on a narrower spread of color ways across multiple flower types.

Offline Epic

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 12:23:40 »
Cool progress, man. Would love to see more about how you made your legends caps!

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 12:51:06 »
Cool progress, man. Would love to see more about how you made your legends caps!

Thanks!

It's been a learning process and I still mess up pours but overall I think I've made good progress.
I was planning on making some gmk cherry profile blanks. I'll make a little tutorial of my method and post it here. Getting the legend right it a pita, maybe I will be able to do it better now though. We'll see!

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 04 September 2016, 17:58:25 »
Another glamor shot for the upcoming sale!

147401-0

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 12:37:38 »
Sale Day draws near!

I plan to have a Secret Garden Raffle opening this Friday with a post in the Artisan Sales thread and on MechMarket. This will be a blind bag raffle! More details coming today so stay tuned.

For now here is a sneak peak of what you could receive!

147514-0

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 15:02:43 »
Those roses are so elegant, and look good in a good so many different colors.  Great work.

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 15:25:48 »
Those roses are so elegant, and look good in a good so many different colors.  Great work.

Thanks a lot Bambino!

I'm hoping enough people like them, I got kind of carried away making them these past few weeks and have quite a few on my hands. Looking to do my first sale right, I have some nice sealed bags for each cap and made stickers to give away with the sale which look pretty nice IMO. Hoping to make a good first impression on the community. Do you have any pointers for someone starting out?

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 15:47:10 »

Thanks a lot Bambino!

I'm hoping enough people like them, I got kind of carried away making them these past few weeks and have quite a few on my hands. Looking to do my first sale right, I have some nice sealed bags for each cap and made stickers to give away with the sale which look pretty nice IMO. Hoping to make a good first impression on the community. Do you have any pointers for someone starting out?

Sounds like you're off to a solid start.  Pointers... A big one would be, be eager to provide excellent customer service.  Some folks will inevitably have issues with their shipments or keycaps.  Artisans aren't a cheap commodity, so go above and beyond to take good care of folks that have issues and try to anticipate future needs even when it costs you extra time and money.

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 15:57:19 »

Thanks a lot Bambino!

Sounds like you're off to a solid start.  Pointers... A big one would be, be eager to provide excellent customer service.  Some folks will inevitably have issues with their shipments or keycaps.  Artisans aren't a cheap commodity, so go above and beyond to take good care of folks that have issues and try to anticipate future needs even when it costs you extra time and money.
I will be sure to keep this at the forefront of my mind. I want to have repeat customers and generate a following like you and the myriad other artisan makers that provides such beautiful caps for the community. I only hope my caps will be as well received. I look forward to making my proper debut!

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 09:34:47 »
After several teaser posts we are finally nearing sale day! Just Another Keymaker: The Secret Garden Sale will take place Friday at 12pm EST and run for 48hrs. As per It's name, this will be a blind bag sale where even I won't know what colors are going where. This will be blind bag for three reasons. Firstly, there are several colorways that are one offs so blind bags give everyone an equal chance. Secondly, I love the idea of people trading each other roses hunting for that perfect colorway and finding ones they never knew they'd love, the level of community interaction we have is my favorite thing about our little community. Finally the most important reason, I get to call it 'The Secret Garden Sale' and that just sounds cool.
Every winner will also receive a cool 2x2 in vinyl sticker created specifically for this sale!

147629-0

Today I leave you with some more teaser sale images and a, what I hope is excellent, giveaway.

Fading Light

147619-1

Dandelion

147621-2

Orange Depths

147623-3

Robin's Egg

147625-4

Leave a comment on this post goo.gl/AI8v1Y goo.gl/AI8v1Y in /r/mechmarket of a colorway you'd like to see the rose in. You are encouraged to use examples of the colors you want and even real pictures of roses. I can reliably use up to three colors so go crazy! I will choose one comment randomly and that colorway will have two roses created, one to go to the winner free of charge and one to be included in the blind bag sale. Entries will be accepted for 24 hrs from post time (10:30am EST).

Good Luck and can't wait to see you in the Secret Garden!
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 September 2016, 10:21:27 by RocketGruntJake »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 10:15:33 »
Once again, beautiful work! :cool:

Offline mes09

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 14:49:51 »
Can't wait to get my hands on one of these (I need a purple!!)

I would love to see you do other kinds of flowers as well.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 15:02:55 »
Ahh I really dig that Grandpa(?) cap!

I entered your giveaway on reddit.

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 09 September 2016, 11:12:15 »
The Secret Garden Sale is now Live!

Head over to /R/MechMarket to enter the giveaway for a Golden Rose Keycap by posting a picture of your board!

https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/51xo9v/artisan_just_another_keymaker_the_secret_garden/?st=isvv0usa&sh=4452c324

The raffle form itself is here https://goo.gl/forms/gRvN1t1F99cjB15H2 and will be open for 48hrs!

Good Luck Everyone!

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 10:49:43 »
Sale form closes in 10 minutes!

We've received a phenomenal response in terms of the number of people who have wanted to purchase a Rose. We are excited to begin invoicing the winners this afternoon. Can't wait to see the Rose in the wild.

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 15:01:21 »
We want to thank everyone who participated in the Secret Garden sale as well as those who posted their boards in the giveaway.

The winner of the Golden Rose giveaway is /u/Mr_BeastQuake! Congratulations and we will be in contact to get this Rose sent to you.

The immense response we received has definitely encouraged us to continue with this garden series so if you didn't receive an invoice there will certainly be a chance to get more Garden Caps in the future so stay tuned!Invoices have been sent out to all the lucky winners. Any invoices not paid within 24hrs will be re-raffed so if you missed out stay tuned there may be another opportunity to get your own Rose cap. We are working on getting a full sale thread for future sales and more frequent updates. Once invoices are paid packages will be shipped out as soon as possible.

Thank you everyone for your support from us here at Just Another Keymaker

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 09:32:27 »
What is the recommended pressure casting pot nowadays? Looking to get a good one but not sure what exactly I need. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 15:07:34 »
All packages from the first sale shipped,
Thanks everyone for participating!
We can't wait for you to receive your Roses!