Author Topic: [IC] Artisan Casting Demo  (Read 53238 times)

Offline fendent

• * Maker
[IC] Artisan Casting Demo
« on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 13:41:34 »
So I was thinking about setting up a demo for how to cast keycaps at Keycon this year. Would anyone be interested in the chance to cast their own caps? I will likely be doing a demonstration on a more standard method of molding and casting keycaps and then a demo of the Synth hard tooling by Hunger Work Studio and TechKeys.

I will need to prepare enough molds to allow for this so if I can get a tentative headcount I can at least prepare for people to try their hand in rounds. Thoughts?

Offline Kominyetska

Re: [IC] Artisan Casting Demo
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 13:42:39 »
I'd be interested in a detailed video of this (since I won't be able to attend KeyCon).

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 13:52:31 »
I'd be interested in a detailed video of this (since I won't be able to attend KeyCon).

I'll make sure to get some video if this happens :)

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 16:26:06 »
I'm interested regardless of the stem revision used  :p

V1 would still be crazy awesome to try and cast though...
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline the1gamerdude

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 23:37:12 »
I am casting keycaps and would love to see someone show how they do it. My only worry would be safety as most resins use isocyanates and they are terrible for the respiratory system, and to add it can't be filtered out unless it's through a carbon chemical cartridge in a respirator. Anyway that's just my worry, but I would be happy to help if it's going to be in California (I think host locations are still up for debate).

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 08:58:19 »
I can run a demo of this in Austin at TechShop if KeyCon ends up being here. I've successfully cast some replacement key caps for vintage boards up here.

Offline att1cus

• * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 10:41:09 »
This sounds great, but only if we have enough respirators for everyone present.  The rooms I'm considering using are large and have windows we can open for ventilation, but I still wouldn't feel safe without everyone in the workshop using their own respirator. 

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 11:56:26 »
This sounds great, but only if we have enough respirators for everyone present.  The rooms I'm considering using are large and have windows we can open for ventilation, but I still wouldn't feel safe without everyone in the workshop using their own respirator.

For sure! The minimal offgassing should only require room-sized ventilation but if we do this I'll bring sufficient PPE for those attending and we can store the filled molds in a container so they can be removed once the demo is over.

We can absolutely collaborate to satisfy any additional concerns and facility requirements for such a demo.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 February 2017, 11:59:12 by fendent »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 23:34:46 »
interest
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 07:02:48 »
I'd definitely be interested.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 20:02:46 »
I suggested this for the Asheville meet last year because we had some rockstar crafters there - binge, booper, retrochick - and it never materialized (or was shunned).

I'd be glad to help as well. Let me know if you need me to bring any of my equipment.

I'm of the belief that cap value is from originality, sculpt skill, and quality... not from group exclusivity or knowledge of the process. I hope everyone leaves this place going home and making crappy blanks or copies of store bought toy heads! Its fun and it will put some perspective on what a good cap is (and not to pay for one that isnt!). :thumb:
-Dana

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 20:43:12 »
I suggested this for the Asheville meet last year because we had some rockstar crafters there - binge, booper, retrochick - and it never materialized (or was shunned).

I'd be glad to help as well. Let me know if you need me to bring any of my equipment.

I'm of the belief that cap value is from originality, sculpt skill, and quality... not from group exclusivity or knowledge of the process. I hope everyone leaves this place going home and making crappy blanks or copies of store bought toy heads! Its fun and it will put some perspective on what a good cap is (and not to pay for one that isnt!). :thumb:

Agreed! I'll probably be showing off what the synth is and how it is used also. I'm going to be driving to the con and intend to bring my equipment with me fortunately :) I am considering right now how to put the funds together to purchase suitable PPE. Masks cost about $3 apiece so I'll either ask for donations or raffle off some chances for people to make their own caps. We'll see!

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 23:11:42 »

Agreed! I'll probably be showing off what the synth is and how it is used also. I'm going to be driving to the con and intend to bring my equipment with me fortunately :) I am considering right now how to put the funds together to purchase suitable PPE. Masks cost about $3 apiece so I'll either ask for donations or raffle off some chances for people to make their own caps. We'll see!
I can't bring respirators for everyone but let me know if there's something I can help with.

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 12:06:36 »

I can't bring respirators for everyone but let me know if there's something I can help with.

Will do if I think of some things I could use help with! Thank you!

Offline ineph

• nostalgic procrastinator
  • Do you know the Venus Project??
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 14:53:20 »

Me too!

Bla bla bla Stealthbla bla Blue

Offline kammcorder

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 19:11:55 »
soo is there video out yet? Because i wont be able to make it to keycon either PLUS I am new here and make keyboard art♥ Hai~

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 19:31:56 »
soo is there video out yet? Because i wont be able to make it to keycon either PLUS I am new here and make keyboard art♥ Hai~

keycon will be happening in june

people are working on getting video of it maybe
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline isunktheship

• AJCVisual
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 19:19:44 »

++

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 21:34:11 »
I would love to see this. I will see about maybe going to KeyCon but I kind of doubt it as I live in Colorado. But vids of this would be awesome. There is a lack of much useful info on YouTube.
KBD75 GMK Terminal          XD84 DSA Black on GSF + Hana Matcha + Serum

Offline att1cus

• * Maker
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 18:51:37 »
We should definitely get a video, if there are any videographers available to do the camera work.  I may have a friend who can do it if we throw them a few bucks and some lunch.

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 19:52:42 »
[anxiety intensifies]

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 03:46:57 »
For all the people asking for a video, remember that a lot of the information regarding casting artisans comes from experimentation. While a video or thread can help you get the basic idea it won't be a substitute for figuring out how your resin will react to variables like ambient temperature and humidity (+ a bunch of others). The artisans contributing their time to this video have spent countless hours working with resin and you'll have to do the same if you'd like to make quality keycaps. Regardless of how much you read or watch about the subject.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline att1cus

• * Maker
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 08:52:58 »
For all the people asking for a video, remember that a lot of the information regarding casting artisans comes from experimentation. While a video or thread can help you get the basic idea it won't be a substitute for figuring out how your resin will react to variables like ambient temperature and humidity (+ a bunch of others). The artisans contributing their time to this video have spent countless hours working with resin and you'll have to do the same if you'd like to make quality keycaps. Regardless of how much you read or watch about the subject.

Good note, Joey.  This is not a cheat-sheet casting demo that will work 100% anything anywhere, this is a demo to show what's involved with the entire process.  there is no substitute for experimentation.

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 16:03:52 »

Understood, and I'm looking forward to the task! :cool: I do like to go into things with as much information as possible though, and I'm extremely visual. Right now there's a dearth of visual information about even the basics of the process (or I'm just not looking in the right places, which is entirely possible, because I keep stumbling on a gem here or there)
KBD75 GMK Terminal          XD84 DSA Black on GSF + Hana Matcha + Serum