Author Topic: Interest check: Michigan keyboard meetup  (Read 2894 times)

Offline adevriesc

Interest check: Michigan keyboard meetup
« on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 15:58:42 »

First off, I'd like to acknowledge that I borrowed webwit's "trilogy" photo for the tentative logo above.

Now the question: would anyone be interested in coming to Kalamazoo, Michigan for a keyboard meet? Michiganders are in an odd and somewhat isolated location due to the whole peninsula thing, so our few enthusiasts are often left out.

Chicago gets most of the action, but that trip could be too much for some Northern and Eastern enthusiasts.

I think that my university computer club would host the event, but we'd need a couple of people to talk about various maker-related things. PCB design, working with manufacturers to make small scale projects, firmware programming tips, and other useful tidbits would be ideal. Keyboards, of course, would also be featured in discussions.

Offline JP

Re: Interest check: Michigan keyboard meetup
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 16:50:30 »
I might be interested in something like this. I am in lower Michigan.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline adevriesc

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 16:55:37 »
Awesome. If you have any friends who are interested, ask them to drop in on this topic.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 17:22:40 »
I probably wouldn't drive downstate to go to a meetup but I'll go to one in the UP, I usually prefer Chicago or WI meetups because they're closer to me than anything in the lower peninsula.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline adevriesc

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 17:32:29 »
Too bad you can't make it downstate. I don't think I'd move this event North, as I don't have any connections above Grand Rapids.

On the other hand, a UP meet might draw down some Canadian enthusiasts. Could be fun.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 17:40:31 »
Too bad you can't make it downstate. I don't think I'd move this event North, as I don't have any connections above Grand Rapids.

On the other hand, a UP meet might draw down some Canadian enthusiasts. Could be fun.

Yeah, even Grand Rapids would be an 8ish hour drive for me.

If I'm downstate at all this summer I can bring some stuff and maybe do a quick lunch meetup or something like that.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline adevriesc

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 22:46:49 »
I think there's enough interest in this across forums to have a small get together. I'll fill out the ranks with local non-keyboard enthusiasts from the computer club.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 23:05:22 »
I think there's enough interest in this across forums to have a small get together. I'll fill out the ranks with local non-keyboard enthusiasts from the computer club.

Depending on your school there may be more interest than you realize, I posted in my school's subreddit and found a ton of people into keyboards that go to my school.

I already knew about 3 people from my school with GH accounts but I didn't realize how many people used mechs and were interested in customizing them.

Offline aikilink

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 14:58:36 »
I usually prefer Chicago or WI meetups because they're closer to me than anything in the lower peninsula.

How often WI meetups happen? I'm in central WI and definitely would like to make it to one! Milwaukee and Chicago are both a bit too far for me though.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 01:20:14 »
I usually prefer Chicago or WI meetups because they're closer to me than anything in the lower peninsula.

How often WI meetups happen? I'm in central WI and definitely would like to make it to one! Milwaukee and Chicago are both a bit too far for me though.

I've been to 1 meetup in Appleton but most of the time I'm meeting with friends in Milwaukee.

How far are you? Even Stevens Point is only 2ish hours from Milwaukee depending on how fast you drive.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 01:26:50 »

I've been to 1 meetup in Appleton but most of the time I'm meeting with friends in Milwaukee.

How far are you? Even Stevens Point is only 2ish hours from Milwaukee depending on how fast you drive.

what's the difference between wisconsin females and michigan females ?

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 01:38:54 »

Lower peninsula females > Wisconsin females > upper peninsula females

Wisconsin is in the middle because the lower peninsula has more attractive females but the UP has way less females.

My school is 30% female and that breaks down to an even lower % when you factor in crazy & already taken.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 01:46:27 »

Wisconsin is in the middle because the lower peninsula has more attractive females but the UP has way less females.

My school is 30% female and that breaks down to an even lower % when you factor in crazy & already taken.

OMG..... if ur not super attractive at this school,   it's slim pikins..

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 01:59:50 »

Really depends on who you know  ;)

But if tp4 were here no other man would stand a chance  :p

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 02:02:52 »

Really depends on who you know  ;)

But if tp4 were here no other man would stand a chance  :p

Wow.. it's quite obvious that in such a dire and competitive mating environment..

The harsh reality has produced adept charmers such as user -Quinn-

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 02:12:27 »
(Attachment Link)

Wow.. it's quite obvious that in such a dire and competitive mating environment..

The harsh reality has produced adept charmers such as user -Quinn-