Author Topic: GMK/Cherry doubleshot modifer packs (Complete)  (Read 288314 times)

Offline Broadmonkey

Re: GMK/Cherry doubleshot modifer packs (orders close 20 April)
« Reply #350 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 16:14:12 »
Again, if this GB was so important -- to begin a new relationship with GMK, then more time and discussion should have been in order.

The IC started on the 7th of december and there was even discussions before that.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #351 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 16:16:16 »
And yet it was in interest check starting 7 December last year, and only moved to groupbuy 8 March. There was a long long time for people to register thier concerns. This is the reason IC are done to make sure something is even worth pursuing. By the time it is moved into a buy it is not so easy to just go, oh well let's just change everything.

Also some people just don't see the big picture and the advantges to running sets structured like this. So for example, even in the future if we can do 'full' sets, it will be much the same. There will be 3 or 4 components to the order. Modifiers, alpha/numerics, nav cluster and function.
So if we can make this buy, next time we can run a matching nav/function and lets just say for argument a white on red alpha/numeric. Boom a full set.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 March 2013, 16:22:57 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #352 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 16:17:49 »
I wasn't aware the IC began December 7th. Could someone link me to the thread. I'm curious to see what the other options were.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
GMK/Cherry doubleshot modifer packs (orders close 20 April)
« Reply #353 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 16:19:20 »
I feel like someone might have missed something important that I posted just a few posts back, but it seems to have gone unnoticed.

You know that for another $10 you can get a set of Cherry double shots from inlikeflynn to make this a complete set, right?

And you don't have to support this or any other group but here by buying something, but you should. Especially if you want there to be future GBs.

I personally support almost each and every GB on this forum BY BUYING SOMETHING FROM IT. That is the only way a group BUY can succeed.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_

Offline keymaster

« Reply #355 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 16:29:30 »
I feel like someone might have missed something important that I posted just a few posts back, but it seems to have gone unnoticed.

You know that for another $10 you can get a set of Cherry double shots from inlikeflynn to make this a complete set, right?

I saw your post, but didn't feel it was necessary to reply since it's not a strong incentive for me to buy. I don't want to buy used keycaps -- not even for $10 (assuming I purchase something here first).

Also, could you elaborate more on:

And you don't have to support this or any other group but here by buying something, but you should. Especially if you want there to be future GBs.

I personally support almost each and every GB on this forum BY BUYING SOMETHING FROM IT. That is the only way a group BUY can succeed.

I don't have to but I should? It sounds like you have much more money to spend than many others such as myself. I'm a full-time college student with a part-time job. I am surely not in the minority here -- those who can't buy every set they lay their eyes on. Try to take that into consideration when you believe that everyone should buy even if they don't like the product.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38090

Okay, so I've looked at some of the number in the thread. Two things caught my attention:

1) White on Purple won by only ONE vote. Perhaps there should have been a vote between Purple and Blue to see what color the other votes would have preferred. Blue could have made the difference with the modifiers.

2) The MOQ is 400. Was this GB doomed from the start? Even if the most preferable colors were available, would the GB still have reached 400?
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 March 2013, 16:42:14 by keymaster »

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #356 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 16:59:02 »
keymaster -- clearly this group buy is not a good fit for you, and that's OK.  ;D

I think you were right when saying that this is for more "advanced" keyboard users. I might use the word, more "invested" in their keyboards, which of course includes the fact that they also spend more money, or have had several years to build up a collection, etc.

My point is that the rallying cry for GH members to participate is not about guilting people into it. If the GB isn't a good fit for you, then you shouldn't participate. It's as simple as that. IMHO it's more about reminding those of us that DO participate in a lot of these things WHY this GB is important and that if you have the means you should. ~$50 for modifiers  may be a stretch for some, but ~$10 for the Escape pack is more in reach.

However, wether you choose to participate or not should be because you want to, not because you were chided into it.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #357 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 17:09:37 »
Also, could you elaborate more on:

I don't have to but I should? It sounds like you have much more money to spend than many others such as myself. I'm a full-time college student with a part-time job. I am surely not in the minority here -- those who can't buy every set they lay their eyes on. Try to take that into consideration when you believe that everyone should buy even if they don't like the product.

Sure. There is only one way to support a group buy, and that is by placing an order. You are free to participate on this forum without ever buying a thing, if that is what you prefer. You can just avoid the commercial sections of the forum, like the group buys and classifieds, altogether. I have no problem with that. But you are here in this GB thread asking questions (in a way that comes across as somewhat negative) about the buy.

And it must not be ALL about the money, right? I mean, here you imply that you would have paid over twice the price if this had been a full set. IvanIvanovich wanted to start small, so that members just like yourself wouldn't have to shell out a huge amount on the VERY FIRST group buy with GMK, which is sort of a trial run anyway, for both us and GMK.

So, I don't think it may have been the wisest decision to go with just modifiers -- especially those with such odd colors. Modifiers may be less expensive than a whole set, but for double the $41 currently for the mods, we could have come close to buying a whole set, right?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #358 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 17:09:47 »
There is way too much complaining and threadcrapping going on in here.  Remember the rules:

2) Threadcrapping: If you aren't interested in joining a group buy, STAY OUT OF THE GROUP BUY THREAD. This goes doubly so if you disagree with the way the buy is being run, the product being purchased, or have any other complaint not relevant to buying into the group buy. Repeat offenders put themselves in danger of moderator action.

We get it, some of you don't like the colors and think that too many keys are being included in the pack. That's great, but keep it to yourself.  I know I won't be using all of the keys in the CMYK pack, but it's the same price as Sherryton's RGB packs and it has more keys while also being higher quality.  Do we see you running around complaining about the price of Sherryton's packs?  No.  Get over it and either join the group buy or shut your mouth. 

If you want to give suggestions or make comments, wait until the GB is over or send some polite, well thought out suggestions via PM.

Now can we please keep this thread on topic? 

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #359 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 17:13:44 »
There is way too much complaining and threadcrapping going on in here.  Remember the rules:

2) Threadcrapping: If you aren't interested in joining a group buy, STAY OUT OF THE GROUP BUY THREAD. This goes doubly so if you disagree with the way the buy is being run, the product being purchased, or have any other complaint not relevant to buying into the group buy. Repeat offenders put themselves in danger of moderator action.

We get it, some of you don't like the colors and think that too many keys are being included in the pack. That's great, but keep it to yourself.  I know I won't be using all of the keys in the CMYK pack, but it's the same price as Sherryton's RGB packs and it has more keys while also being higher quality.  Do we see you running around complaining about the price of Sherryton's packs?  No.  Get over it and either join the group buy or shut your mouth. 

If you want to give suggestions or make comments, wait until the GB is over or send some polite, well thought out suggestions via PM.

Now can we please keep this thread on topic? 

By the way, what you are quoting are the pre-R00TW0RM buying and selling rules. Those rules are technically no longer in effect, but they are suggested reading. I know they are sometimes still enforced, but just because someone is a moderator, doesn't always make them right, now does it? :)

in memoriam

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #360 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 17:15:51 »
By the way, what you are quoting are the pre-R00TW0RM buying and selling rules. Those rules are technically no longer in effect, but they are suggested reading. I know they are sometimes still enforced, but just because someone is a moderator, doesn't always make them right, now does it? :)

Fair enough.  I'm just sick and tired of all the people coming into the thread and *****ing about the GB.  It's not helping and not going to change anything.  All it does is irritate people and fill the thread with worthless comments.

Basically this:

Offline blighty

« Reply #361 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 17:22:06 »
Why doesn't any one complain about the Toxic GB god awful colourway and all the extra useless keys in its base set?

LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #362 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 17:22:34 »
It's my buy and thread so I will just say I don't mind reading opinions and criticism. It helps me for next buys sometimes. Do I make mistakes of course I do, and sometimes it might give me some direction to do something differently. But there is sometimes a fine line between constructive and just whining. As long as one is not whining I will read your posts and even consideration to it. But also many of you will need to accept that any changes at this point are extremely unlikely so I will just take a moment to say it is why everyone should look though the IC section from time to time. There are a lot of great ideas put forward that don't seem to make it off the ground possibly only due to lack of attention. Or perhaps in this buy case it could have been running faster if more people would have voiced their ideas and concerns in the IC phase we might have had a more popular colorway.
While I can be strong willed about certain things many people I think do realize I am listening too.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 March 2013, 17:24:22 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline keymaster

« Reply #363 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 17:30:09 »

Fair enough.  I'm just sick and tired of all the people coming into the thread and *****ing about the GB.  It's not helping and not going to change anything.  All it does is irritate people and fill the thread with worthless comments.

Basically this:

I presented constructive criticism and you replied with snide remarks. Don't take it personally. Without criticism, these group buys are bound to fail. Look deep in your heart, you know it be true :)

It's my buy and thread so I will just say I don't mind reading opinions and criticism. It helps me for next buys sometimes. Do I make mistakes of course I do, and sometimes it might give me some direction to do something differently. But there is sometimes a fine line between constructive and just whining. As long as one is not whining I will read your posts and even consideration to it. But also many of you will need to accept that any changes at this point are extremely unlikely so I will just take a moment to say it is why everyone should look though the IC section from time to time. There are a lot of great ideas put forward that don't seem to make it off the ground possibly only due to lack of attention. Or perhaps in this buy case it could have been running faster if more people would have voiced their ideas and concerns in the IC phase we might have had a more popular colorway.
While I can be strong willed about certain things many people I think do realize I am listening too.

Thanks for this reply. I can tell you really want this to work and that's a good thing for everyone. Hopefully GMK will still want to work with us even if this GB doesn't work out.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #364 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 17:38:02 »
Also, in regard to the comment about it, these caps aren't better quality than sherryton's sets, they are of the same quality. No need to say things that aren't true. The truth is as I mentioned, you get a bunch more keys (read compatibility) for less, and in a fun, unique colorway.

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #365 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 18:25:43 »
[...]and in a fun, unique colorway.

Don't forget a more scientific colourway.  RGB is the past, CMYK is the future, long live CMYK!  Purple?  Purple, nurple - but I'm down for a set anyway.

Offline aesthetics1

« Reply #366 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 22:01:32 »
This can't come soon enough. *anxiously waiting* >_>
Home: Filco Majestouch TKL MX Red | Work: Ducky Shining (Blue LED) MX Black | Collection: CM Quickfire Rapid MX Red

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
« Reply #367 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 23:12:17 »

I saw your post, but didn't feel it was necessary to reply since it's not a strong incentive for me to buy. I don't want to buy used keycaps -- not even for $10 (assuming I purchase something here first).
good, then when your change your mind i'll make sure the most shiny set has your name on it  :p

----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #368 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 23:51:45 »
Quote from: jdcarpe

Guess it's as good as time as any to say that I've always pictured you swimming in a mixture of keycaps and $100 bills  :P

What's the order # at Ivan?

Offline mickd

« Reply #369 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 00:48:20 »
Finally put in my little order.. I wanted to order more but even at the great value these keys are, multiples start adding up quick :)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #370 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 04:27:06 »
resubmitted

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #371 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 06:05:56 »
good, then when your change your mind i'll make sure the most shiny set has your name on it  :p

When Ivan FIRST offered this Group Buy to purchase some GMK goodness I was in but when Flynn offered a wave of black double-shots as a sweetener, I was in diabetic heaven.  ;)

This is a very nice serving of key-sets, how could you miss out on this?  ;D

Offline aesthetics1

« Reply #372 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 17:22:50 »
I put in for 2 DS sets in case I had some not-so-desirable wear on one set >_> lol.
Home: Filco Majestouch TKL MX Red | Work: Ducky Shining (Blue LED) MX Black | Collection: CM Quickfire Rapid MX Red

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #373 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 01:03:22 »
Lysol I know we cant get all the modifiers in purple, but you should of went with arrows and Esc key included in the purple set, that way would of make it look more esthetic without raising price too high
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #374 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 08:46:07 »
The sets are most likely staying as is. We are past the IC phase where changes are viable.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #375 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 09:06:35 »
You get purple esc in esc pack :O All the rest will come in other pack next time if we can accomplish this time.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #376 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 10:24:34 »
You get purple esc in esc pack :O All the rest will come in other pack next time if we can accomplish this time.
  I know of the Esc pack, but the Esc pack is set at 400 MOQ..... too bad we cant change anything as it is.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 March 2013, 10:26:08 by bazemk1979 »

Offline kernelpanic

« Reply #377 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 14:02:18 »
Did I unterstand right, that you buy these caps actually from a distributor in the US? Or how does this work? Does GMK sell to private persons?

It is idiotic for Europeans to pay for shipping costs to America and back; Maybe the one or the other European might consider supporting a groupbuy if the shipping cost wasn't that much.

As GMK is from Germany, wouldn't it be much cheaper for everybody if GMK (given the case you are doing business with them directly) ships two packages, one to America and one to somebody in Europe who is willing to ship them on?

Please enlighten me how this stuff works :)

Offline Broadmonkey

« Reply #378 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 14:58:27 »
There has been some discussion about this already. GMK will only ship to one location or halve the package (50/50) and ship to two locations. There is much more talk about this in the thread over at DT, I think.
but as I understood it, it might actually be cheaper to ship it to the US and back again due to VAT.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #379 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 15:20:42 »
Yes, it was detrmined that shipping from the US was actually cheaper for most people, as even all the non Europeans would be stung with 20% more cost due to the vat taxes if they were delivered to an EU address.
We are going straight through GMK, no middlemen. They will sell to an individual no problem, you just have to buy thier minimum order.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #380 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 19:22:18 »
If anything from this GB does happen I think that would be the purple set, seems like the CMYK and Esc are having trouble at the moment. Purple is struggling too...

Offline nickwalt

« Reply #381 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 12:39:26 »
Sorry to hear it's not looking good.
As an optimist, can I replace my order (for the basic set IIRC) with one for all 3 sets?

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #382 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 12:48:48 »
Just submit a new order with everything you want and it will be updated :)

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #383 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 13:59:01 »
Ordered.  Pretty sure I'd done so before, but just in case...

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #384 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 22:28:10 »
Ordered and fingers crossed.

Offline osxoep

« Reply #385 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 15:36:12 »
Ordered. I love purple, so I hope this happens.
HHKB Pro JP with hasu's controller (waiting for MX sliders)

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #386 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 15:56:14 »
Lysol just a food for thought as a plan B if we are little short with the purple set, maeby you can post in the forums that you have this GB for the people that only ordered the CMYK set, if they are ok with shifting their order from CMYK to the Purple. I'm saying this because Purple is doing better than the other 2 packs.

So if we are short for 20-30 sets on the purple, maeby those that only ordered CMYK would not mind canceling the CMYK and going for the purple, its only $10 more for the purple.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #387 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 17:16:07 »
I don't think I'd go for four sets of purple...

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #388 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 17:20:01 »
Only 4, I think you mean 14? LOL.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #389 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 17:21:50 »
D: Y U drain my wallet, GMK?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #390 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 18:00:53 »
From now on, when there is entered 1, it becomes 11, 2 becomes 22 and so on :))
just kidding.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #391 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 18:08:37 »
From now on, when there is entered 1, it becomes 11, 2 becomes 22 and so on :))
just kidding.

Do eet!  Make it so!

:))

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #392 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 18:14:42 »
If I did that we would surely be past MOQ though LOL.

Offline calavera

« Reply #393 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 18:49:27 »
lol everytime someone hits backspace to correct something during their order a penalty should be applied doubling their order automatically.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #394 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 17:49:42 »
4/4/2013

Orders/MOQ:
white/purple - 159/300
cmyk - 113/300
esc pack - 179/400

We are screwed...... So GMK has to have the 300 number, if we are around 250 by 20th will GMK refuse to make some money?
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 April 2013, 17:51:32 by bazemk1979 »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #395 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 18:43:20 »
I have been trying to negotiate it. I can't say right now though, but if they do agree to make less I can only assume the per set price will increase some.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #396 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 18:44:11 »
FFUUUUUUU

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #397 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 19:00:42 »
If that happens, I'm still in!

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #398 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 20:08:17 »
if it increases some shouldn't be a big deal, lets see what the outcome is after the 20th

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
    • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #399 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 20:17:06 »
I am still in a with Price flux also.
Can you please edit my order from 1 set of each to 4 of each?