geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

HHKB/Poker style ghetto salvage board - My first DIY KB

<< < (8/8)

sordna:
Great stuff! For mousing, did you setup that layer as numpad keys and use mousekeys on your computer, or your keyboard controller can actually act like a real mouse?

Maarten:

--- Quote from: sordna;605174 ---Great stuff! For mousing, did you setup that layer as numpad keys and use mousekeys on your computer, or your keyboard controller can actually act like a real mouse?
--- End quote ---

The chameleon actually emulates a mouse to the point where your computer is unaware that its actually a keyboard sending the commands.

If you for example plug the chameleon into a XP system the OS will install two peripherals; a keyboard and a mouse (ofc it doesnt need any fancy drivers, its just bare-to-the-bone keyboard and mouse 'slang' that the chameleon uses to communicate with the PC). With the FlexMatrix software you can tell the board exactly how to behave when its acting like a mouse, you can ofc tell it what buttons do what (move the mouse cursor in any direction, scroll, click left/right/middle or double) but you can also set how the cursor will accelerate.

So i have for example in my deepest layer set the WASD cluster to move the mouse. When i first press W for example the cursor will start to move slowly up and accelerate to a pretty high speed untill i release it. If i (whilst still pressing the W key) then also press the D the cursor will move up/right at an angle, when i then release W but still keep holding D the cursor will continue its course straight right. My left control and windows key are then left and right mouse button (i can use with my pinky to click stuff).

The chameleon will ofc store all these settings internally so if you take it to any other system itll still act like you programmed it. So if i were to plug the board into some ol windows 95 system i could instantly use the board as a keyboard and/or mouse to do stuff as the system would not be able to tell that its not a regular keyboard and regular mouse i just plugged in. Pretty neat!

sordna:
Awesome stuff, I guess Chameleon is a fitting name for it. Where can one buy it from? Any pointers to a manual in English for it?

Maarten:

--- Quote from: sordna;605624 ---Awesome stuff, I guess Chameleon is a fitting name for it. Where can one buy it from? Any pointers to a manual in English for it?
--- End quote ---

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Chameleon_keyboard_controller

Its actually pretty easy to wire up, programming software works great as well tho i might write a little howto on the FlexMatrix editor one day as all the HEX coding stuff for the header registers and Sfunc can be messy to figure out if you dot know what all that does.

oh and you can get one from attarian (thats where i got mine from) but keep in mind that i might take quite a few months before youll get it LOL

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version