geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

This is pathetic and sad

(1/4) > >>

ashort:
I want an iPhone, just like the rest of the world.

What I want more than an iPhone though, is a Kindle.  This incredible novelty is really growing on me.  I love the idea of moving a lot of my library to a paper-like electronic medium.

iMav:

--- Quote from: ashort;6363 ---What I want more than an iPhone though, is a Kindle.  This incredible novelty is really growing on me.  I love the idea of moving a lot of my library to a paper-like electronic medium.
--- End quote ---
Rumor has it, if you send Amazon money, they will actually send you a Kindle RIGHT TO YOUR HOME!  :)

Seriously, I don't "get" the Kindle.  The marketing spin Amazon is jamming down your throat every time you visit their site is funny though.  It's not a low-quality B&W display, it's a "revolutionary display that reads like real paper!".  ;)

"Unlike WiFi, Kindle utilizes the same high-speed data network (EVDO) as advanced cell phones—so you never have to locate a hotspot."

For $360, you think they could include wifi as well.  Funny how they spin 3g-only (and the lack of wifi) as a bonus.  However, if you have spotty cell coverage in your home, you'll soon be frustrated.  "DANG IT!  I've got wifi AND a computer sitting right here, but I can't download a fricking thing to my Kindle because it lacks wifi and I am unable to transfer from my computer as well..."

I've had $200 PDA's with more functionality (and connectivity options)...They were ALSO smaller AND had more storage.  (and were great displays to read from...even offering, COLOR!)

bhtooefr:
To be fair, it is e-ink.

But, the Kindle won't be worth it until someone hacks it into an EVDO router. ;)

iMav:
I'll have to browse the selections of books, magazines, etc.  Available content is, after all, what it boils down to.

One thing that would make me nervous if I was a potential Kindle buyer is all the advertising Amazon is doing.  Seems a bit over the top, as if sales are lower than expected and they are a bit desperate.  But I could certainly be incorrect in that observation.

iMav:
As a quick check to see if the Kindle would have the type of e-books I would find useful to have for quick reference, I searched the available Kindle book database for the following:

- Any Regular Expressions book
 - sed and awk references
 - iptables reference
 - decent python references

Pretty much nothing available.  And, the most unforgivable, NONE of the TCP/IP Illustrated books are available!

Heck, NONE of the O'Reilly books are available.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version