geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

Goldfish v2 - A super thin USB-C Pro Micro clone

<< < (23/23)

dr_derivative:
I recently updated the design of Goldfish with a couple changes I had been wanting to make for a long time to create a Golfish v2

I have ordered some prototypes for testing and I will update when those arrive. As before design files and Gerbers are available on the Github repo.

It has the following changes over the previous v1 designs:
* Addition of on board ESD protection and polyfuse
* All 0603 resistors and capacitors for (slightly) easier hand assembly
* Castellated edge connectors similar to the Elite-C
* Less obscure USB-C connector
* Use of more commonly available components in 2022
* Choice between multiple compatible connectors and suppliers
* Uses USB 2.0-only connector for easier and cheaper assembly

piit79:
Great job, thanks for continuing with the project! How is the availability and the price of ATmega32u4 these days? I'm not sure it still makes sense to use it though considering the RP2040 will have official QMK support very soon (or perhaps already has it? Struggling to keep track) and costs $1.30 (plus ~$1 for a QSPI flash)...

dr_derivative:

--- Quote from: piit79 on Fri, 29 July 2022, 08:37:41 ---Great job, thanks for continuing with the project! How is the availability and the price of ATmega32u4 these days? I'm not sure it still makes sense to use it though considering the RP2040 will have official QMK support very soon (or perhaps already has it? Struggling to keep track) and costs $1.30 (plus ~$1 for a QSPI flash)...

--- End quote ---

ATmega availability isn't great at the moment unfortunately, it's a big delay for me getting some v2 samples made.

I have thought about making a similar board with a different chip such as the RP2040. That probably would probably use a different name (maybe another kind of fish?) to make the difference clear. It would be cool to have a RPi zero with a Pro Micro footprint and USB-C :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version