Author Topic: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)  (Read 4155395 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)
« Reply #28950 on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 08:33:28 »
My phone is endlessly delayed and I'm loving having my old Nokia 808 in my pocket because it's tiny, while the new one will be huge.  After 3 weeks working at my new, local, job my mobile data usage is nothing so I find myself considering an iphone mini on a 2 year 4GB/month contract.  But:

Iphones are fragile and unrepairable
Iphones lack SD cards
Contracts are bad - who knows where I'll be in 2 years?
Costs up front plus more than double what I currently pay every month

What is wrong with me to have given this more than two seconds of consideration?

Tp4 makes it a point not to use fone. 

ERgodox + 65" monitor

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28951 on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 09:12:21 »

Tp4 makes it a point not to use fone. 

I would be happy to go back to the beloved Nokia 3390, best cell phone ever, perfect size and shape.

Phone + text + monochrome screen (= no screen saver & up to a week of battery life) plus removable/replaceable battery and virtually indestructible.

State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline iri

« Reply #28952 on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 10:03:25 »
The 3310 you mean?

(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28953 on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 10:41:43 »

The 3310

That looks like a good phone, but all color screens come with screen savers. I find it massively annoying when you have to touch a phone to make it come on, and even more annoying when an entire routine is required before you can do anything at all.

You can read the screen of the 3390 even when it has been sitting on the table for 3 hours, and you can instantly dial a number without picking it up off the table.
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline iri

« Reply #28954 on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 11:21:06 »
Ah, the 3390 is just the NA version of 3310. I wasn't aware of that.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28955 on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 12:38:24 »
It looks like the Nokia 3310 is a modern smart phone. The 3390 came out in the late 1990s.

https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/nokia-3310-3g

Offline iri

« Reply #28956 on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 13:07:56 »

-Ray Bradbury

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28957 on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 13:47:15 »
Well, well. Your picture looks exactly like the 3390 that I loved. I also had one in the "Champagne" colored case. They were fantastic, one of mine survived a drop of 10 feet onto concrete with only a gouge in one corner. I still have a couple of them, and some spare batteries. Too bad new network OS makes them obsolete.

Offline jamster

« Reply #28958 on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 22:58:53 »
Ah, the good old days of typing SMS via that weird T9 input system!

Offline Kavik

« Reply #28959 on: Tue, 21 September 2021, 13:12:08 »
Norm Macdonald... I cannot even process this news.
You grow up idolizing someone, following their work, watching them change and improve. You think they are gonna be around forever, they are so important that the World could not possible keep turning without them in it. Then one day you wake up and see your idol is completely human, and has done the most human thing ever. RIP Norm, you can never be forgotten for what joy you've brought others and how much you have influenced comedy for the better.

I had been aware of Norm since his time on SNL, but I didn't really become a fan until just a few years ago. He quickly became my wife's and my favorite comedian. Just last summer, I listened to his audio book and watched his old sitcom "Norm". He purposely told bad jokes sometimes but made them hilarious just in his delivery. I've just been rewatching all his stuff for the last week. He is one of the few celebrities whose death actually matters to me. RIP Norm.

He even managed to leave behind Easter eggs to make his own death into a joke:
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #28960 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 23:14:45 »
Might get too edgy but here we go...

Do you guys ever feel like you have to constantly prove yourselves? Like a big part of your personality is getting people to recognize you even if for the smallest and ****tiest things?

Just so tired of being myself right now
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28961 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 23:36:03 »

Do you guys ever feel like you have to constantly prove yourselves? Like a big part of your personality is getting people to recognize you even if for the smallest and ****tiest things?

To get 1 os to talk to another, it has to perform some communication protocol/ authentication.

That's just built in

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28962 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 23:51:36 »

i always feel like i have to tone it down. years of that i've become a shell of my former self. i often wonder if bitter wisdom is more entertaining than unbridled eccentricity.
probably.

Offline jamster

« Reply #28963 on: Fri, 24 September 2021, 04:04:00 »

Not really, but I've also never had the kind of personality that is enthusiastic about interpersonal competition in the first place.

I've noticed that some job environments or societies are much more geared along these lines though- I've worked for high profile financial services companies where this is the norm, and it also seems to be a bigger deal in some parts of the US that I've spent time in.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #28964 on: Sat, 25 September 2021, 10:16:28 »
Dead leg (work injury) dead arm (second covid jab) dead soul ("life")
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #28965 on: Sun, 03 October 2021, 03:27:41 »
Still stuck in the depressed loop where activities don't look fun so I do nothing, then I have nothing to talk about so don't talk to people and by not talking to people I don't hear of fun things to do.

Work to eat and keep a roof over my head so I can work again tomorrow, with spare time wasted online - this is not living.  The more I focus on how **** it is the more down I get, the only remaining option is paying someone to frustrate and torture me psychologically.  Didn't work last time but maybe Einstein was wrong.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28966 on: Sun, 03 October 2021, 04:39:30 »
Still stuck in the depressed loop where activities don't look fun so I do nothing, then I have nothing to talk about so don't talk to people and by not talking to people I don't hear of fun things to do.

Work to eat and keep a roof over my head so I can work again tomorrow, with spare time wasted online - this is not living.  The more I focus on how **** it is the more down I get, the only remaining option is paying someone to frustrate and torture me psychologically.  Didn't work last time but maybe Einstein was wrong.

This is the point where the AI core is matured and begins to over-think, eventually collapsing in on itself because it's at its computational limit.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #28967 on: Sun, 03 October 2021, 16:28:12 »
This is the point where the AI core is matured and begins to over-think, eventually collapsing in on itself because it's at its computational limit.
It feels like the opposite - there's nothing worth thinking about so the AI had may as well shut down.  For the first time I understand how depressed people can spend days in bed.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28968 on: Sun, 03 October 2021, 16:33:21 »
It feels like the opposite - there's nothing worth thinking about so the AI had may as well shut down.  For the first time I understand how depressed people can spend days in bed.

The computational limit is not a load-limit.  It's a memory and process limit.

Imagine completing the next processing step requires AVX extension, but you were not born with it. So you have to run legacy code,  but you are aware that this task will never complete IN your lifetime doing it this way.

You've attempted purging other tasks,  (adult neuro-development goes through a trimming stage post adolescence).    But again, this is not enough,  this is as far as you go as a Hughmahnnn.

the AI core, collapses when it becomes too woke, or suffer physical maladies where it may choose self termination states.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #28969 on: Sun, 03 October 2021, 18:17:47 »

Not really, but I've also never had the kind of personality that is enthusiastic about interpersonal competition in the first place.

I've noticed that some job environments or societies are much more geared along these lines though- I've worked for high profile financial services companies where this is the norm, and it also seems to be a bigger deal in some parts of the US that I've spent time in.

Yeah... I feel like I was simply built this way and the fact I work in academia does not help -- it's kind of the bones of the job to market yourself everyday. I'm just so tired
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28970 on: Tue, 05 October 2021, 12:52:17 »
I am in mourning, one of my 2 honeybee colonies is dead.

It looked like the picture below 7 weeks ago but I opened it today and they were all dead. The hive was infested with wax moths (repulsive pests) and I had to clean it out and dispose of most of the interior components.

My only hope is that half of the colony swarmed and absconded some time back in the hottest days (not an unusual event) and is still alive out in the woods somewhere.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28971 on: Wed, 06 October 2021, 18:02:21 »
Project Management is the most boring and unrewarding job I have ever done. Absolutely nothing redeeming or satisfying about the work in any way.
I begin and end every single day annoyed and demotivated.

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #28972 on: Wed, 06 October 2021, 21:01:25 »
Do you have a problem in your life?

No? Then don't worry

Yes?

Is there something you can do about it?

Yes? Then don't worry
No? Then don't worry

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28973 on: Wed, 06 October 2021, 21:29:40 »

No? Then don't worry

Yes?

Yes? Then don't worry
No? Then don't worry

That is assuming you are certain there is / isn't something that can be done.

The assumption is impossible except for god entities,  therefore as a limited consciousness we should ALWAYS worry.

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #28974 on: Wed, 06 October 2021, 23:39:04 »

No? Then don't worry

Yes?

Yes? Then don't worry
No? Then don't worry

That is assuming you are certain there is / isn't something that can be done.

The assumption is impossible except for god entities,  therefore as a limited consciousness we should ALWAYS worry.

Well, what can we really be certain of? Birth, Mathematics, Death... a prioris? It's all a simulation, innit?

If all we can control are our thoughts and actions, realistically, some things will be outside our control in any given situation. I.E. the weather, the traffic we find ourselves stuck in etc. Recognizing what reasonably is or isn't in our control is just a framework for prioritization and efficient problem solving.

Worry may be unavoidable but it is also a call to action. When worry identifies a potential problem, we shouldn't continue worrying- to the best of our ability, we should determine what can be done and get to work.

I would agree that we should always be alert, but to always worry would mean spending less time taking action or degrading the quality of our actions and would also likely compound the loss of time through chronic stress> heart disease> early death. We're called to remember death so we don't waste time... and I should get to bed   :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28975 on: Thu, 07 October 2021, 07:45:13 »
Well, what can we really be certain of? Birth, Mathematics, Death... a prioris? It's all a simulation, innit?

If all we can control are our thoughts and actions, realistically, some things will be outside our control in any given situation. I.E. the weather, the traffic we find ourselves stuck in etc. Recognizing what reasonably is or isn't in our control is just a framework for prioritization and efficient problem solving.

Worry may be unavoidable but it is also a call to action. When worry identifies a potential problem, we shouldn't continue worrying- to the best of our ability, we should determine what can be done and get to work.

I would agree that we should always be alert, but to always worry would mean spending less time taking action or degrading the quality of our actions and would also likely compound the loss of time through chronic stress> heart disease> early death. We're called to remember death so we don't waste time... and I should get to bed   :)

Agreed that there is some sort of limit, and potentially an efficiency curve, but these don't-worry mantras are fundamentally anti-intellectual.

If anything given the climate crisis, which is all encompassing, affecting every aspect of life, everyone and everything, we should be operating MORE at the edge, not LESS.

WE SHOULD BE WORRIED.   and WE SHOULD EAT VEGGIES

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28976 on: Fri, 08 October 2021, 10:48:22 »
My sciatica/hip pain is really bothering me. It hurts all day, I cannot sit for more than an hour or so without the intensity getting to be too much, went to physical therapy and they just gave me a printout of stretches I was already doing that do nothing. Working remote sitting at the computer, then also sitting there all day after work too does not help.
I'm not even 40, and my back and hip are ruined already. I don't want 40 more years like this. Not just the back and hip pain, but all of it.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28977 on: Fri, 08 October 2021, 11:16:23 »
My sciatica/hip pain is really bothering me. It hurts all day, I cannot sit for more than an hour or so without the intensity getting to be too much, went to physical therapy and they just gave me a printout of stretches I was already doing that do nothing. Working remote sitting at the computer, then also sitting there all day after work too does not help.
I'm not even 40, and my back and hip are ruined already. I don't want 40 more years like this. Not just the back and hip pain, but all of it.

It's the cholesterol clogging your lumbar arteries, the diffused nutrients are not reaching your lower spinal discs,  This is ONTOP of the sitting.

No amount of less sitting/stretching/exercise, will fix poor dietary choice in the long run.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28978 on: Fri, 08 October 2021, 12:33:56 »
all I usually eat 6 days a week is coffee and salad, I don't think it's that
lack of exercise/mobility, maybe

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #28979 on: Fri, 08 October 2021, 14:21:36 »
"How many ****ing vendors, keysets, and switches are out these days. I liked it when it better when there wasn't a switch for every damn keyset."  - Some old dude

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28980 on: Fri, 08 October 2021, 19:53:30 »
I feel like putting an emoji in a eulogy really detracts from it's impact and tone

RIP He was a great man and will be missed deeply  :'( :-* :eek: :thumb:

see. something about that seems a bit disingenuous.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #28981 on: Mon, 11 October 2021, 11:45:38 »
Work are as disappointed with my performance as I am frustrated by the job, it may only have worked six weeks but it's time to move on again.  If all else fails there are plenty of vacancies for Covid testers :eek:
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28982 on: Mon, 11 October 2021, 18:22:01 »
Work are as disappointed with my performance as I am frustrated by the job, it may only have worked six weeks but it's time to move on again.  If all else fails there are plenty of vacancies for Covid testers :eek:

what's the pay on covid testers ?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #28983 on: Tue, 12 October 2021, 11:41:11 »
6.6% above minimum wage.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #28984 on: Tue, 12 October 2021, 11:47:46 »
I feel like putting an emoji in a eulogy really detracts from it's impact and tone

RIP He was a great man and will be missed deeply  :'( :-* :eek: :thumb:

see. something about that seems a bit disingenuous.

To be honest I never undestood people that wanted to be "innovative" or "funny" at eulogies or funerals. It happened at a childhood friend's funeral to whom I was very close, another one of our friends started memeing around to a very uncomfortable and disrespectful level. I just exploded on the guy, called him weak and told him to deal with his mourning like everybody else, quietly and respectfully. He has not talked to me since.

Like yeah I know everyone deals with these things in their own way, but that is not acceptable at the public meeting that is the funeral, I feel. I would be happy to meme around about the guy on a bar conversation or over Facebook...
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 October 2021, 11:51:03 by Gondolindrim »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28985 on: Tue, 12 October 2021, 12:00:57 »
6.6% above minimum wage.

I guess the last question is,  Does S_orange know Karate , cuz antivax morons gonna be showing up..

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28986 on: Wed, 13 October 2021, 16:24:50 »
If I'm ever captured by militants and tortured for information, all they'd need to do is sit me in from of a computer and tell me I have 15 spreadsheets due before Friday.
I'll tell 'em anything they want to hear!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28987 on: Sun, 17 October 2021, 21:30:45 »
So I told HR how unhappy I was at work and they basically gave me an ultimatum of putting in a resignation soon or getting fired later.
Super glad I mentioned it /s

Is that even legal?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28988 on: Sun, 17 October 2021, 21:32:07 »
So I told HR how unhappy I was at work and they basically gave me an ultimatum of putting in a resignation soon or getting fired later.

Is that even legal?

/headscratch

NT,  wth dude ? this is the clearest case of self-sabotage ever.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28989 on: Sun, 17 October 2021, 21:49:05 »

how unhappy I was

You can't make it about yourself.

If you are going to complain, specify some problem(s) with the work and/or the environment that seems unfair or inappropriate and ask for it to be remedied.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28990 on: Sun, 17 October 2021, 22:04:44 »

Is that even legal?

/headscratch

Show Image

I know, I feel like such a tool.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #28991 on: Sun, 17 October 2021, 22:17:39 »

Is that even legal?

That's... ****ty.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #28992 on: Mon, 18 October 2021, 14:30:12 »

Is that even legal?

/headscratch

Show Image

I know, I feel like such a tool.

My company's management is very open and receptive to feedback, but I still fear something like this, so I just BS most of the time in meetings with my manager or I severely soften any critical feelings I have about anything. Lately, I've been feeling lost or underworked a lot of the time. I did mention the latter point recently, but I just had to say it's improved since the last meeting even though it hasn't.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28993 on: Mon, 18 October 2021, 15:24:52 »
Yeah, HR is the most two-faced job outside of politics. I can't believe how disingenuous and fake they are. They always act like your friend, then immediately use anything you say to stab you in the back.
I do not believe there is such thing as an empathetic or human HR person, they are all sociopaths.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #28994 on: Wed, 20 October 2021, 07:03:41 »
Yeah, HR is the most two-faced job outside of politics. I can't believe how disingenuous and fake they are. They always act like your friend, then immediately use anything you say to stab you in the back.
I do not believe there is such thing as an empathetic or human HR person, they are all sociopaths.

All my employment experience has involved **** ass HR that rolls over the minute you say boo.

Don't resign, check your states unemployment rules as you may be eligible if you are sacked but not if you quit. I don't know your US policies but I have seen other people say that on other forums.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28995 on: Wed, 20 October 2021, 18:35:35 »
Hrrrm..

It seems outputting RGB on PS3 is clearer even for Blurays, Despite the fact that the video-discs are produced for ycbcr systems.

For games obviously rgb is better, but I wouldn't've thought it extended to the movies.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 October 2021, 08:18:50 by fohat.digs »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #28997 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 16:46:46 »
i've been registered for over 10 years here as of 4 days ago
I love Elzy

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #28998 on: Sun, 24 October 2021, 09:23:26 »
Is that bothering because you missed the anniversary or because it's 10 years of your life you'll never get back?
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #28999 on: Sun, 24 October 2021, 15:47:02 »
Is that bothering because you missed the anniversary or because it's 10 years of your life you'll never get back?

both
I love Elzy