Author Topic: Cherry Hyperglide switches  (Read 7418 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Cherry Hyperglide switches
« on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 10:55:22 »
I'm picking linear switches for my new build and ended up with two, need to pick one.
Gateron Black Inks v2 and Cherry Hyperglide.

Anyone here used Cherry Hyperglide switches already?
I saw few videos on youtube, but not so much info about them.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Re: Cherry Hyperglide switches
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 17:03:11 »
They are meh they are like your okay retooled blacks. They also have lube on the legs out of the factory when I opened them up.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline phinix

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 03:41:59 »
They are meh they are like your okay retooled blacks. They also have lube on the legs out of the factory when I opened them up.

Cherry lube their switches?
Nobody mentioned that before in reviews.

Are they really that meh?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 17:28:28 »

Yes i would take retooled MX switches or just Gateron with black bottom and milky tops. Not worth the premium.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon

Offline phinix

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 July 2021, 06:27:43 »

Yes i would take retooled MX switches or just Gateron with black bottom and milky tops. Not worth the premium.

What do you mean premium?
Hyperglides 90x switches cost £28.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 July 2021, 16:14:24 »

What do you mean premium?
Hyperglides 90x switches cost £28.

Ah they got cheaper I payed 45 Euros + shipping for like 100 pieces when they where released still meh switches unless you like the sound of Cherry housing I would say not a bad price if they are that cheap now.
current
Coming soon

Offline phinix

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 01 December 2021, 16:40:02 »
Anyone had this issue people are experiencing with Hyperglides? Those stems being ripped out?

Offline Rafen

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 02 December 2021, 20:26:08 »
Anyone had this issue people are experiencing with Hyperglides? Those stems being ripped out?

This is honestly the first I'm hearing of it. Never used the hyperglides though.

Offline iaji

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 04 December 2021, 09:49:45 »

currently i am using them and i don't have that problem.

Offline dankthropod

• Formerly wariomale
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 04:04:37 »
I find cherry hyperglides to be a little bit underwhelming. I have a 65% board with gateron black inks and they feal smooth as butter after lubing. They produce the most awesome sound (they have a very deep sound profile). If you don't like the spring weight you can always spring-swap them with some gat yellows or just buy custom springs.
KEEBS: Niz atom TKL, KBD67 Lite V2 R3 with gateron black inks
AUDIO: beyers dt 880 pros with a k3 DAC. Really want to get my hands on some sennies hurr durr six hungos

Offline phinix

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 05:35:10 »
I find cherry hyperglides to be a little bit underwhelming. I have a 65% board with gateron black inks and they feal smooth as butter after lubing. They produce the most awesome sound (they have a very deep sound profile). If you don't like the spring weight you can always spring-swap them with some gat yellows or just buy custom springs.

Do you mean hyperglides are heavier than Black Inks?

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 16 December 2021, 20:32:06 »
Hyperglide Browns have a pretty-good typing feel. But the stock sound is awful.

I have read about issues with Hyperglides binding with GMK. Apparently, the top-housings are out-of-spec or something.

Offline phinix

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 17 December 2021, 03:00:55 »
Hyperglide Browns have a pretty-good typing feel. But the stock sound is awful.

I have read about issues with Hyperglides binding with GMK. Apparently, the top-housings are out-of-spec or something.

Yes, top housing has a bit out of spec hole size or something that makes you pull actual stem out of it.
I want them so much, but for last 6 months I kept myself away form buying them.
I don't need them, just want a second keeb with linear switches, as I love my Zealios 78s.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 17 December 2021, 12:36:08 »
There are so many linear options today, so you don't need to go with Cherry. If you want MX Black, see if you can get Gateron Ink Black or a good batch of H1.

But you're right, they're tempting as some hyperglides type well. The new housing is spreading like a disease, though. I hear MX Clears have recently been updated with the out-of-spec top housing.

It's too bad, really. Hopefully the next retool gets it right.

Offline phinix

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 16:40:19 »
I so wanted to have mx blacks, that I ordered them :)
So Hyperglide Blacks are coming to me, will be lubed and soldered on Frog TKL.
I will lube them 205g, housings, stems and legs, then bag lube springs with 105.

Now, should I also swap springs and film them?
People on Frog Discord suggested to use TX films and swap springs with some medium (15mm) TX springs.
I like and wanted them to be same as originals, so was going to pick tx springs 15mm 80g bottom out, same as cherry mx springs.

Offline phinix

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 11 February 2022, 17:02:40 »
Which plate should I pick for mx blacks in my Frog?
Alu or POM?

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 11 February 2022, 18:58:22 »
I'd go alum for plate as MX switches have always sounded great on alum IME. Also I would definitely film them, Deskey films are my preference, but TX films will do just as well. As for spring swapping, might as well swap them to 75g or 80g 15mm TX springs. They'll be much more consistent that the CHerry black stock springs. GL with you Frog build! They're super nice TKLs!

Offline phinix

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 12 February 2022, 04:52:16 »
I'd go alum for plate as MX switches have always sounded great on alum IME. Also I would definitely film them, Deskey films are my preference, but TX films will do just as well. As for spring swapping, might as well swap them to 75g or 80g 15mm TX springs. They'll be much more consistent that the CHerry black stock springs. GL with you Frog build! They're super nice TKLs!

Yep, all here are ready, got films and 80g TX springs.
This afternoon is lubing night :D

I have both, alu and POM - I wanted to have POM as I loved the feeling on kbd67lite - thing is I used Zealios 78s on that, so maybe I should use alu with MX blacks, then keep POM plate and solder Zealios with it, when I get extra pcb?
Or wait and try to get F13 hotswap pcb, but don't know when these will be available...

« Last Edit: Sat, 12 February 2022, 04:54:11 by phinix »

Offline phinix

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 13 February 2022, 15:02:24 »
Now, when I'm after whole process of lubing, soldering etc I have some thoughts on those MX blacks.
When I lubed first few, I was surprised how they feel. I remembered my Tealios in the past and I knew how smooth linear switch feels like.
Those, even after lubing, do not feel super smooth. They feel smooth compared to stock, but that "slide sound" stayed, so I feel them when pressed, like they make this shhhh sound.
Not scratchy, but you feel the slide.
Is that normal?

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 06 April 2022, 16:25:13 »
black inks are smoother than cherry hyperglides, but cherry hyperglides have that high pitched sound and feel really nice despite their scratchiness
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 April 2022, 09:05:39 by granola bar enthusiast »