geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

Poker Mod - Screwless Mount

(1/3) > >>

braaaiiins:
After a lot of procrastinating, I decided to get started on my wooden mount. This is just a prototype.

I hate screws, they're easily lost and they can permanently screw up your project if you happen to strip them while they're still fastened. I decided a nice way to mount without screws is to use neodymium magnets. My magnets don't come in until later this week, so those won't get installed just yet. For now, its just a simple inclined board with neoprene rubber attached to the surface so the PCB doesn't slip and so that the terminals for the switches have something to sink into. The rubber has holes all over the place for screws because I used that particular piece inside the factory poker case before. I also had to dremel some pockets in the wood so that things like the dip switch could fit in.

Even without the magnets to "attach" the PCB to the base, the PCB remains fixed due to the rubber. I'm pretty satisfied with this early prototype - its nice having instant access to the PCB! I just unplug and pick it up.

The saw I was using was limited in its ability to cut thick pieces at an angle so instead of a solid base I  have it split up into 3 legs. Ideally it would be one solid piece. Hopefully I can find a way to cut the wood the way I want to for the next mount.

Hope you guys like the idea. Shoot me some ideas if you have any =)

The_Beast:
Looks good man :D

What kind of wood are you using?

braaaiiins:

--- Quote from: The_Beast on Sun, 19 August 2012, 22:06:22 ---Looks good man :D

--- End quote ---

Thanks! I have no idea what kind of wood it is.. just some scrap lumber. Eventually I'd like to work with a darker wood. I would love some african blackwood, but its almost impossible to find solid pieces large enough to do a 1 piece base.

The_Beast:

--- Quote from: braaaiiins on Sun, 19 August 2012, 22:08:44 ---
--- Quote from: The_Beast on Sun, 19 August 2012, 22:06:22 ---Looks good man :D

--- End quote ---

Thanks! I have no idea what kind of wood it is.. just some scrap lumber. Eventually I'd like to work with a darker wood. I would love some african blackwood, but its almost impossible to find solid pieces large enough to do a 1 piece base.

--- End quote ---

I have some Wenge and am pretty handy with wood (Check the link in my sig for wrist rest)

mkawa:
magnets can also induce current to flow where it shouldn't, so you might want to be careful with that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version