geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

Poker Mod - Screwless Mount

<< < (2/3) > >>

braaaiiins:

--- Quote from: mkawa on Sun, 19 August 2012, 22:35:36 ---magnets can also induce current to flow where it shouldn't, so you might want to be careful with that.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the tip.  I've thought of that, but I'm not too worried about it. Worst that would happen is maybe a key will get actuated, but I doubt that would happen at all. I'll mess with it a bit once the magnets are installed and post if there are any problems.

braaaiiins:

--- Quote from: The_Beast on Sun, 19 August 2012, 22:11:22 ---
I have some Wenge and am pretty handy with wood (Check the link in my sig for wrist rest)

--- End quote ---

Just checked it out. Your work is pretty amazing. That purple heart wood is gorgeous, especially with the lace wood. Do you have any product recommendations for bonding wood together? For my prototype I used gorilla super glue.

The_Beast:

--- Quote from: braaaiiins on Sun, 19 August 2012, 22:49:41 ---
--- Quote from: The_Beast on Sun, 19 August 2012, 22:11:22 ---
I have some Wenge and am pretty handy with wood (Check the link in my sig for wrist rest)

--- End quote ---

Just checked it out. Your work is pretty amazing. That purple heart wood is gorgeous, especially with the lace wood. Do you have any product recommendations for bonding wood together? For my prototype I used gorilla super glue.

--- End quote ---

I use Titebond 2 on pretty much everything since it's water resistant, food safe...(whole bunch of other stuff I can't remember). However, you have to be careful about gluing end grain to long grain since it just won't last very long. The end grains are like straws and suck in the glue, thus starving the joint of glue which makes a weak joint. You also have to consider expansion an contraction of the wood (not a huge deal with such a small piece) The long grain expands at a much faster rate than end grain so, it will rip/tear that end grain piece right off if it expands to much. And over time, that glue joint will keep weakening due to expansion and contraction cycles.

I've heard expoies are good for gluing end grain, but I just try to avoid that kind of joint altogether. I due use super glue sometimes to "tac weld" the wood together while a normal yellow glue dries but it is no replacement for yellow glue because it's so brittle and stiff.

braaaiiins:
I wish I could borrow your brain while I do my woodwork. I certainly wouldn't have paid attention to the grain while gluing. Thanks for your insight. =)

The_Beast:

--- Quote from: braaaiiins on Sun, 19 August 2012, 23:13:44 ---I wish I could borrow your brain while I do my woodwork. I certainly wouldn't have paid attention to the grain while gluing. Thanks for your insight. =)

--- End quote ---

I uses a friends shop, I know nothing compare to him. So I know how you feel :D.

My offer still stands, if I have some extra wenge, or whatever wood you want, I can try to build this thing for you (when I get time :D)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version