Author Topic: The Beer Thread!  (Read 399002 times)

Offline iri

Re: The Beer Thread!
« Reply #650 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 17:19:17 »
Stupid Reinheitsgebot ruinig all the fun here in Germany. Good thing our Belgian neighbors don't give a **** about that stuff and produce some very interesting beers instead.

Show Image

Been cycling yesterday and found a very good beer shop like 20km away from home. That's not how sport is supposed to work...
*iri tried all of these

How did you like the one behind the LaTrappe?
it felt guuuuuuuuuuuud
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Mooby

• Funployee
« Reply #651 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 07:35:23 »
Stupid Reinheitsgebot ruinig all the fun here in Germany. Good thing our Belgian neighbors don't give a **** about that stuff and produce some very interesting beers instead.

Show Image

Been cycling yesterday and found a very good beer shop like 20km away from home. That's not how sport is supposed to work...
*iri tried all of these

it felt guuuuuuuuuuuud

Man, I'm totally with you in this case. What was it's name again? Would like to buy it again and totally forgot what it was.

Offline iri

« Reply #652 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 09:10:30 »

Show Image

*iri tried all of these

it felt guuuuuuuuuuuud

Man, I'm totally with you in this case. What was it's name again? Would like to buy it again and totally forgot what it was.
Achel?

by the way, today i'm going to have another trip to a local brasserie financed by our management. woohoo!
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Mooby

• Funployee
« Reply #653 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 10:36:42 »

Show Image

*iri tried all of these

it felt guuuuuuuuuuuud

Achel?

by the way, today i'm going to have another trip to a local brasserie financed by our management. woohoo!

Not bad! My favourite tripel so far.

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #654 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 20:00:12 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 December 2014, 08:01:09 by Xowie »
RETIRED

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #655 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 21:11:06 »
Mmmm Oberon
(Attachment Link)

Don't forget to smash the bottle when you're done.

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #656 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 18:35:43 »
Mmmm Oberon
(Attachment Link)

Don't forget to smash the bottle when you're done.
Dude, that is ten cents though.
RETIRED

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #657 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 18:58:35 »

(pic from google)

This is my favorite

Offline rush340

« Reply #658 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 19:11:29 »
Enjoying the Stone Go-To IPA right now.  Also super excited to find Firestone's Wooky Jack being sold in 12 oz. bottles.  I love that stuff, but a 22 oz. was always a bit much.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #659 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 21:34:18 »
Here's what I'm drinking right now.   :-*

BingeCaps by HoffmanMyster, on Flickr

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #660 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 21:50:35 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 December 2014, 08:00:57 by Xowie »
RETIRED

Offline iri

« Reply #661 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 23:30:35 »
this one yesterday:

-Ray Bradbury

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #662 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 15:10:32 »

Show Image

Oh yeah  :-*
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #663 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 17:33:57 »
Any Untapped users on here? :o
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline Mooby

• Funployee
« Reply #664 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 12:35:22 »
What I had with dinner:
(Attachment Link)

Don't drink that man! So many good Hefeweizen out there.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #665 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 12:42:47 »
Franziskaner isn't that bad. Granted it's unremarkable but there are much worse weiss. Keep in mind it's really tough to get a lot of the best ones outside Germany. Many simply don't even export. Hell even some you can't find in a different region inside Germany very easy.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #666 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 12:49:38 »

All the different beers I've had since moving into my apartment.

Sorry for the phone pic...

Shelf 1: **** beer
Shelf 2: Yeuingling Light, Honey Brown, Guinness, Smithwicks, Long Trail Ale
Shelf 3: Spaten, Corona Extra, Saranac Pale Ale, Stella Artois, Leffe
Shelf 4: Smuttynose Old Brown Dog Ale, Harpoon IPA, Red Hook Long Hammer IPA (not pictured), Sam Adams White Lantern, Blue Moon
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 August 2014, 12:58:13 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Mooby

• Funployee
« Reply #667 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 12:50:24 »
Franziskaner isn't that bad. Granted it's unremarkable but there are much worse weiss. Keep in mind it's really tough to get a lot of the best ones outside Germany. Many simply don't even export. Hell even some you can't find in a different region inside Germany very easy.

That's right, but I really wouldn't recommend a Franziskaner. Generic Hefeweizen brewed with cheap ingredients. If you can come by a Unertl, Hopf, Gutmann or Jacob that's the way to go. Weihenstephan, Schneider and Maisels are usually wider available and a huge improvement over the Franziskaner/Paulander/Erdinger league.

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
« Reply #668 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 19:10:09 »
hmm all these pictures are making me thirsty. I must go find a good brewery in Socal.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #669 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 19:28:27 »
hmm all these pictures are making me thirsty. I must go find a good brewery in Socal.

That is not hard at all.

http://www.craftbeerculture.com/brewery-maps/
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #670 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 19:52:20 »

That's right, but I really wouldn't recommend a Franziskaner. Generic Hefeweizen brewed with cheap ingredients. If you can come by a Unertl, Hopf, Gutmann or Jacob that's the way to go. Weihenstephan, Schneider and Maisels are usually wider available and a huge improvement over the Franziskaner/Paulander/Erdinger league.

I'm going to find and try all of these. All these names sound so foreign and wonderful hahaha
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #671 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 22:04:48 »
Went to the German bar tonight. They had some Unertl but only dark varieties so I didn't try one... so I copped out and just drank a bunch of Schneiders since I already know those are good. Also, while not German I finally got to try some Mikkeller. Was NOT impressed for beers that cost $9 for a .33l. I also tried some Veltins which I thought to be one of the worst beers I have ever had... and some Reissdorf kölsch which I thought to be decent enough, but it was like my 9th beer so I can't really make a proper opinion of it.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #672 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 22:07:29 »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #673 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 22:17:36 »
Psh... I almost went for a $20 bottle of Evil Twins. :))

Offline Mooby

• Funployee
« Reply #674 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 04:48:00 »
Went to the German bar tonight. They had some Unertl but only dark varieties so I didn't try one... so I copped out and just drank a bunch of Schneiders since I already know those are good. Also, while not German I finally got to try some Mikkeller. Was NOT impressed for beers that cost $9 for a .33l. I also tried some Veltins which I thought to be one of the worst beers I have ever had... and some Reissdorf kölsch which I thought to be decent enough, but it was like my 9th beer so I can't really make a proper opinion of it.

Try the Unertl. It's great, and as far as I know they don't have a pale version, their "standard" hefeweizen is just darker then most other breweries' hefeweizen. It's a bit darker then Schneiders Tap7, and if you like that you'll like the Unertl too.

As for Kölsch the Reissdorf is one of the most popular brands here in Germany, but also one of the most boring and steamlined. Of the popular brands I'd prefer Früh, but that's also nothing really special. Chances are you can get a Mühlen Kölsch as they also sell bottles, which I would recommend in this case. If you ever get to cologne try Pfaffen and Päffgen, the two best Kölsch breweries by far.

Also keep an eye out for the Kölsch's archenemy the Düsseldorfer Alt. The smaller house-brewerys like Schlüssel, Uerige and Füchschen produce great beers and sell it in bottles, too.

Veltins, Krombacher, Warsteiner, Becks (and many more) are to Pilsener what Franziskaner is to Hefeweizen.

I'm going to find and try all of these. All these names sound so foreign and wonderful hahaha

I'm pretty sure that some of them should be available overseas, if not I can proxy you a bottle or two  ;)
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 August 2014, 04:59:20 by Mooby »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #675 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 10:46:22 »
They have some varieties of Uerige there. None of the others you listed sound at all familiar from their menu. I'll make sure to try both that and the Unertl next time provided I am in the mood for darker beers.

Offline Mooby

• Funployee
« Reply #676 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 11:16:36 »
Try do drink their Altbier if they have it at your place. Word of warning: If you're more into mild beers the Uerige won't be for you as it's VERYVERY hoppy (is that even a word?). I like it though, especially because of that.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #677 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 11:35:38 »
I like most styles, it just depends on my mood on a particular day if I want light, dark, hoppy, sweet, sour, bitter, whatever. Ultra hoppy is very popular in the USA right now. It's actually hard to avoid over hopped IPA, or other styles with that characteristics from domestic craft breweries. Otherwise if not very hoppy IPA based sour saisson is the other very popular type. Those types are so popular that at some bars you pretty much have to order an import if you don't want one of those.

Offline Mooby

• Funployee
« Reply #678 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 11:44:25 »
Still sounds better than the regular German (at last where I live, I think they have more of the good local stuff in the south) bar where you have to stick to the Veltins and Franziskaner generic kind of beer. Some bars though start to specialize in good beer styles and not long ago a small crafting brewery opened up in my city which beer is being sold in a bar in my street now. So the trend is positive.

I'd really like to taste some of the American crafting beers as many of them look really interesting, but these are a pain to get here.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #679 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 16:46:08 »
Any Untapped users on here? :o

If everyone posts their Untappd  info I can add it to the OP along with some useful beer related links.

Show Image

Oh yeah  :-*
Show Image

Wait... how does Hoff have a Swami's?? I had to buy mine locally >:| I know these were going to get distro from Stone but I haven't seen them in the bay yet...
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 August 2014, 16:47:45 by jwaz »

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #680 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 18:11:21 »
Wait... how does Hoff have a Swami's?? I had to buy mine locally >:| I know these were going to get distro from Stone but I haven't seen them in the bay yet...
I sent it his way along with some Bingecaps he bought as a thank you... had to share some of the local goodness!
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
« Reply #681 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 00:18:47 »

That is not hard at all.

http://www.craftbeerculture.com/brewery-maps/
oh I will definitely bookmark this website. Thank you.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #682 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 10:07:02 »

I sent it his way along with some Bingecaps he bought as a thank you... had to share some of the local goodness!

I have my ways...   >:D

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #683 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 14:07:40 »

I just happened to be around last year when the Bressi Ranch Pizzaport canned those, so tasty! Rumor has it that Stone is handling the distro on that and it will be all over the place soon(tm)...

Speaking of IPA: Alpine. We have Alpine. Drank my weight in Hoppy Birthday, Nelson and the event exclusive Lupulin Star last week at City Beer.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 August 2014, 14:09:23 by jwaz »

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #684 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 16:50:21 »
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #685 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 18:10:20 »
Speaking of IPA: Alpine. We have Alpine. Drank my weight in Hoppy Birthday, Nelson and the event exclusive Lupulin Star last week at City Beer.
Nelson is so good! I need to get back down to Alpine soon...

Oh and before I forget again, Untappd = HoppsApocalypse
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
MICE >>
More
COMPUTER >>
More

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #686 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 20:23:25 »
Nelson is so good! I need to get back down to Alpine soon...

Oh and before I forget again, Untappd = HoppsApocalypse

My Untappd is HoffmanMyster (surprise, surprise).  I added you.

Anyone else can feel free to add me. 

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #687 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 14:05:55 »
What I had with dinner:
(Attachment Link)

Please don't tell me you had that fine specimen of German beer out of a bottle. Absolutely criminal behavior.

this one yesterday:

Show Image

This is one of my favorites, so damn good.

Currently enjoying this fine English IPA.

IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #688 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 15:10:43 »
Show Image

Is that a chilled mug? I totally forgot these existed and can be used at home. I haven't been to the bars in ages : ' [
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline Excaliborg

« Reply #689 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 17:25:33 »
I keep pretty much all of my beer glasses in the freezer.

Does anyone here collect scotch/whisky?

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #690 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 18:20:55 »
Yes, single malts.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline Excaliborg

« Reply #691 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 21:38:45 »
I'm curious as to whether it would be worth it to start a whisk(e)y/scotch/bourbon thread. The only single malt that I have on hand currently is Kilchoman's Machir Bay. I am waiting until the end of the year to replenish my stock of Lagavulin.

On topic: I picked up Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale a couple days ago and it was a great introduction to the brewery. I'll have to look out for singles next time I go to the store to explore more of their offerings.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #692 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 21:48:27 »
I'm curious as to whether it would be worth it to start a whisk(e)y/scotch/bourbon thread.

sup
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39393.0

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #693 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 22:34:53 »
Joker Hard Cider. Very crisp, and despite it being above average APV tastes distinctly smoother than most any other hard ciders I have tried.  :thumb:

75132-0
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 August 2014, 22:36:42 by noisyturtle »

Offline tgujay

« Reply #694 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 07:02:59 »
Joker Hard Cider. Very crisp, and despite it being above average APV tastes distinctly smoother than most any other hard ciders I have tried.  :thumb:

(Attachment Link)

Mmmmmm that looks good, there is a local cider here in Michigan called Vandermill that is 6.9% and is delicious, they have a bunch of different varieties too.
Gotta collect them all

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #695 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 20:18:07 »
Local brews are the best brews :-) PA representing true beer love.

« Last Edit: Fri, 22 August 2014, 09:01:30 by Binge »
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #696 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 18:23:48 »

Show Image

Nice.  Did you get one for the future Mrs. Binge to do your toast in?   :thumb:
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #697 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 18:27:18 »

Show Image

that's dope dude, your name on your beer mug...bout as good as it gets! =]

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #698 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 23:24:13 »

Show Image

Nice.  Did you get one for the future Mrs. Binge to do your toast in?   :thumb:

She opted out of it.  I don't blame her.  It's a ton of beer to finish in one sitting.  The mug stands about 20 inches tall.

Show Image

that's dope dude, your name on your beer mug...bout as good as it gets! =]

Ha I almost didn't put my pseudonym.  I mean it's sort of a social club and they're going to know me as Binge.  Oh well!  I get to keep the mug, so it'll be part of my GH paraphernalia
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #699 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 02:34:41 »
She opted out of it.  I don't blame her.  It's a ton of beer to finish in one sitting.  The mug stands about 20 inches tall.
Ha I almost didn't put my pseudonym.  I mean it's sort of a social club and they're going to know me as Binge.  Oh well!  I get to keep the mug, so it'll be part of my GH paraphernalia
Sounds like my kinda beer  :thumb: Sweet mug sir, congrats!
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
MICE >>
More
COMPUTER >>
More