Author Topic: The Beer Thread!  (Read 398989 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: The Beer Thread!
« Reply #1350 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 23:05:17 »

Was not expecting this beer to be good.  It was surprisingly good and I would definitely buy it again.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1351 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 00:26:53 »
Now onto this:

Definitely ages well and is a killer RIS.  So sad that Pretty Things is closing and is no more.  At least Prarie, Tahoe Mountain, and a few others are still around.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #1352 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 00:35:46 »
Now onto this:

Show Image

Definitely ages well and is a killer RIS.  So sad that Pretty Things is closing and is no more.  At least Prarie, Tahoe Mountain, and a few others are still around.

ah, that stuff is the business. wish I could still find it on shelves but it got snapped up.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1353 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 00:42:51 »
Now onto this:

Show Image

ah, that stuff is the business. wish I could still find it on shelves but it got snapped up.

As soon as I heard they were closing, I went and bought as many bottles as I could justify.  I'm just sad I didn't discover them until last year.  At least I still have two more bottles I'm holding onto.  The store near me still has a bunch of Babayaga.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #1354 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 01:32:08 »

Always sippin' Pliny. Made it up to the brewery again the day before the Younger release and got to try Compunction again. Such a great sour, wish they'd bottle it again.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1355 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 01:35:58 »
Pliny the Younger is probably the most overrated beer ever.  It's a good beer, but not worth the hype.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #1356 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 01:44:53 »
Pliny the Younger is probably the most overrated beer ever.  It's a good beer, but not worth the hype.

I think it kind of sucks TBH, haven't had it since last year but I like Beachwood's triple IPAs

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1357 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 18:43:15 »
I got the Epic Hopulent Imperial IPA Nitro

She got the Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier.

128053-0

I still need an Oregon proxy  :'(

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1358 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 19:06:26 »
Yooper beer for pasty party!!  ^-^

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1359 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 19:48:02 »
Dis for u bunny

128071-0

Offline DAVYtm

• #dateless
« Reply #1360 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 12:25:06 »
My favorite beer the past few months. WNY's very best

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1361 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 13:16:01 »

Show Image

Mmmm, one of my favorites.  My buddy had gotten a a couple six packs a few years ago and he gave me one, however, I didn't note the ABV of over 8% and paid dearly for it the next day.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #1362 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 13:21:15 »

I'm still going to line up :D

Offline DAVYtm

• #dateless
« Reply #1363 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 14:36:51 »

Show Image

Mmmm, one of my favorites.  My buddy had gotten a a couple six packs a few years ago and he gave me one, however, I didn't note the ABV of over 8% and paid dearly for it the next day.

Yeah I limit myself to 3 of these at a time. Such a good tasting IPA though, the corner store near my apartment carries them now so I consider myself pretty lucky

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1364 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 15:24:06 »

Show Image

Yeah I limit myself to 3 of these at a time. Such a good tasting IPA though, the corner store near my apartment carries them now so I consider myself pretty lucky

They are pretty smooth for double IPAs, which is what caught me off guard.  We were just hanging out, talking, drinking some beers around the fire and the next thing I know I have put back 4 of them and walking was becoming much more difficult than it should have been.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline DAVYtm

• #dateless
« Reply #1365 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 15:31:51 »

Show Image

They are pretty smooth for double IPAs, which is what caught me off guard.  We were just hanging out, talking, drinking some beers around the fire and the next thing I know I have put back 4 of them and walking was becoming much more difficult than it should have been.

100%! They aren't as bitter as a typical double, it's so easy to forget you're drinking such a strong beer. Southern Tier has quickly become my favorite brewery - local, great selection, and I still hold Southern Tier Pumpking as the best imperial pumpkin ale

Offline tribade

« Reply #1366 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 17:36:15 »
Tried a new beer today I saw at my local Safeway:

For me, it was much too strong. I don't think that the stout flavor holds up as well to a very high abv(this one was 13.7%). I prefer my stouts to have a smoother flavor, although I will admit I did enjoy the bourbon flavoring I got from it.
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #1367 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 17:43:33 »
Show Image

For me, it was much too strong. I don't think that the stout flavor holds up as well to a very high abv(this one was 13.7%). I prefer my stouts to have a smoother flavor, although I will admit I did enjoy the bourbon flavoring I got from it.

Nice. They must have changed the label on those during the last release.

People go ape-**** for that stuff. Never had any of it myself though...
SSKs for everyone!

Offline tribade

« Reply #1368 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 02:38:02 »
Show Image

Nice. They must have changed the label on those during the last release.

People go ape-**** for that stuff. Never had any of it myself though...

It's...uh...very strong.  And it seems strange that it would have made its way out to a Safeway in northern California and then just sat on a shelf if it is so sought after.  I guess nobody is looking that way though what with the Pliny the Younger craze going on right now.
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1369 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 11:27:15 »
I'm still looking for an Oregeon proxy.

I will make it worth your time!

Offline tribade

« Reply #1370 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 18:24:20 »
Enjoying the 75 degree weather today on the Sonoma square with some drake's! What a wonderful day off.

Offline tribade

« Reply #1371 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 21:33:04 »

And a Hoyne ESB to finish off the night. What a day! The only damper was some mosquito bites. Small price to pay if you ask me!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1372 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 19:30:53 »
Old Bayard from nubs.  :D

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1373 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 20:49:40 »

Show Image

How do you like it?  That was probably my favorite beer I sent you.  I'm hoping shipping it didn't kill it.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1374 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 20:54:53 »

Show Image

How do you like it?  That was probably my favorite beer I sent you.  I'm hoping shipping it didn't kill it.

I honestly don't know.  It's very different from anything I've ever tried before, so I can't immediately say I do or don't like it since I have nothing to compare to.  I'm still processing the flavors and such. 

It's got a great flavor going down.  The after taste/feeling has taken some getting used to, but is growing on me.

After finally nearing the end of the bottle, it's grown on me quite a bit and I'm really enjoying it.  Again, it's very "different" - so many flavors and textures all going at the same time, it's kind of overwhelming, but I like it.  Shame I won't be able to keep trying it to see if I like it even more the next time.  :|  (and no that's not a ploy to get you to send me more :P )

And of course I can't comment on the effects of shipping.  :-/

Offline drewba

« Reply #1375 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 12:18:21 »

As long as the box is packed well, you're fine. 1 out of 100 bottles might leak a bit out of the cap in transit. The biggest "concern"is a box sitting on your porch in the Wisconsin tundra (40-50 degrees by Friday tho am i rite?) and freezing. Frozen beer is going to lose some carbonation and not taste as fresh.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1376 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 12:33:57 »

As long as the box is packed well, you're fine. 1 out of 100 bottles might leak a bit out of the cap in transit. The biggest "concern"is a box sitting on your porch in the Wisconsin tundra (40-50 degrees by Friday tho am i rite?) and freezing. Frozen beer is going to lose some carbonation and not taste as fresh.

I'm in an apartment these days, so no freezing tundra packages for me.  :P  And it certainly wasn't de-carbonated, so that's reassuring.  :thumb:

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #1377 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 12:41:54 »

Normally a Stout/Porter guy, but this is pretty damn good. Buddy of mine left them in my fridge the other day, and I quite enjoy them. After taste is really smooth.

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #1378 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 17:09:17 »

Show Image

Great stuff, southern tier is delicious in general and fairly acessible around here.

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1379 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 11:13:14 »
Show Image

I have only had one glass of Bourbon County (it was an extra in a trade). It was 2014, aged in a cellar, and consumed about a month ago from today. I thought it was absolutely delicious. I don't think it delivers based on the hype, but the aging did help mellow out that boozy burn. It was easy to drink after about a year. I just completed a trade and got 4 bottles of the 2015 stout, and I'm having one this weekend, so I guess I'll get to experience and feel the burn first hand.

I will say, '14 BCBS was very similar to Mother's MILF. And I hated MILF, as I drank it pretty much fresh and had a hard alcohol burn. I saved another bottle to see how it'll age and see if it mellow out at all.

So all I'm trying to say is, maybe give it a little time to age and mellow.

Haven't tried any Pliny. I want to, just to taste the hype and understand where it's coming from, but I don't want to trade half my cellar for a bottle.... Also would love to try some Zombie Dust, but they're all tick marks for me, honestly. I just want to know what they're like.

Leopold FC660m  CM Stealth TKL

WTB: ^^ (O-Zone Bro V2), Drunk Skull, Oktoberfest, Laser/Poison/Woodland HKPs, G1 HKP Gas Masks
MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline DAVYtm

• #dateless
« Reply #1380 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 17:51:52 »
A newer brewery around here, it's not too bad. Very hoppy with a light citrus taste

Offline widdlekitty

« Reply #1381 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 17:46:39 »
Show Image

Normally a Stout/Porter guy, but this is pretty damn good. Buddy of mine left them in my fridge the other day, and I quite enjoy them. After taste is really smooth.

Hopnosh is really great. Definitely one of my go-tos while living on the east coast!

Offline iri

« Reply #1382 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 19:32:10 »
Quantity, not quality!

(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #1383 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 21:43:49 »
Weapons Grade!!   

128964-0

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1384 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 14:58:24 »
Sending my part of a beer trade today.

Getting some Pfriem stuff in return.

Hoping to share the love when it gets in.

129466-0
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 February 2016, 15:02:50 by Bromono »

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #1385 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 13:45:58 »
shouts to digi for the firestone recommendation :thumb:

Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1386 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 14:30:52 »
I always forget that Pizza Port Swami IPA has a following.  If anyone wants some, hit me up in the next 30 minutes and I can grab some.  Had to come down to SD for work and stopped at Pizza Port for lunch.

Offline DAVYtm

• #dateless
« Reply #1387 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 17:14:13 »
shouts to digi for the firestone recommendation :thumb:

Show Image

Firestone makes some great beer. Their Union Jack IPA is one of my faves

Offline tribade

« Reply #1388 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 18:56:43 »
So I did it, guys. I waited in line for a beer. I feel a little bit dirty.

Last Wednesday I sauntered on over to Russian River when I had an unexpected break and waited a half an hour to have Pliny the Younger. It was pretty awesome, but certainly not all it's cracked up to be. I guess I'll wait another five years to have it again.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #1389 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 19:21:25 »
They never are as good as you had hoped when you go through that much trouble...

Personally, I find that the chase is half the fun of trying "exotic" beers and bourbons. 
SSKs for everyone!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1390 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 19:30:15 »
Ehh, screw the chase, it's all about discovery.  Find a nice bottleshop and try new local stuff every week.  I've found beers I would have never tried and beers that I thought were dramatically better than a lot of the "whale" beers by going that route.  Just like fresh and local food is better, you can often find fresh and local beer that is far better than stuff you have to go on a search and spend too much money to find.

I am a little bit of a hypocrite on one beer though.  If I could find a place selling New Glarus Raspberry Tart at a reasonable price, I would drive 50 miles to pick up a dozen bottles.  Only "whale" I've ever had that was worth it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 February 2016, 19:33:57 by nubbinator »

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1391 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 22:58:37 »
Ahh, the chase is good and fun, and it gives you the opportunity to try big beers. Finding and enjoying the local stuff is great as well. At this point, most of my fun with trying new beers is picking up new mix sixers, or a bomber of something within distribution. I do trade for rare beers, or try. I just really don't have any beers of value to trade.

It's a bummer when the whales don't live up to the hype, but at the same time, at least you know you're not missing out on the next release :)

Leopold FC660m  CM Stealth TKL

WTB: ^^ (O-Zone Bro V2), Drunk Skull, Oktoberfest, Laser/Poison/Woodland HKPs, G1 HKP Gas Masks
MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1392 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 16:01:12 »
If I could find a place selling New Glarus Raspberry Tart at a reasonable price, I would drive 50 miles to pick up a dozen bottles.  Only "whale" I've ever had that was worth it.

I'll have to send you some more of that it seems.  :))

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #1393 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 16:43:23 »
Ehh, screw the chase, it's all about discovery.

The chase leads to the discovery of new beers, shops, people, friends...it's very much a learning experience and you meet some really interesting people along the way.

New Glarus was worth it.

That's not the first time I've heard that. :)
SSKs for everyone!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1394 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 17:08:10 »
A little taster while picking up some Dan K at Riip Beer Co. for some people.

Ehh, screw the chase, it's all about discovery.

The chase leads to the discovery of new beers, shops, people, friends...it's very much a learning experience and you meet some really interesting people along the way.

Maybe it's just my experience, but I feel like I've learned so much more by hitting up local brewpubs and talking to people there.  Building relationships with people at the bottle shop helps too.  It's how I've gotten most my "whale" beers, but I usually end up disappointed with those.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1395 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 22:19:37 »
I've been looking for a nice herbal IPA for a while abd finally got one.

Notes of grapefruit or orange zest, thick resiny tarry pine, amd a nice earthy/grassy and herbal backbone with balanced malts while maintaining a west coast style.  What an IPA should be, not just pure pine, citrus, or weed/dank. I see why there was a two bottle limit. 

Edit: I read some reviews of it.  People who taste pineapple and mango in this beer are either smoking crack or have never had pineapple or mango.  Sometimes I think people who write beer reviews are just pretentious douches who say the buzzwords for flavors that they have been told to taste in hops.
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 February 2016, 22:24:38 by nubbinator »

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #1396 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 22:23:09 »
Operation "Bellwoods Brewery"

STATUS - Success

Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1397 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 22:26:48 »
Operation "Bellwoods Brewery"

STATUS - Success

Show Image

Got a second bottle of Witchshark to share with Halverson I see.

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #1398 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 23:15:01 »
I don't know that guy, I just know hes leaving Canada. Sounds like a traitor to me. No beer for him!
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #1399 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 23:38:02 »
Went out to Pizza Port with some friends and ran into another buddy that had opened up a 9 year old cherry sour.  Note that the bottle was 9 liters.  So very good.  Aged to a nice earthy brown with a clean cherry flavor and a nice bright sour finish. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2