geekhack Community > Ergonomics

dvorak mechanical keyboard?

(1/4) > >>

chimera15:
Learning dvorak has been kind of difficult for me, I've been at it for about 2 weeks now.  I keep finding myself going back to qwerty cause the disparage of my speed is too great, 90-100 wpm in qwerty to 15 in dvorak currently.  

Remembering back to when I was learning qwerty I would constantly glance down at my keys on my keyboard to give my brain a visual cue where the keys were before I had them totally ingrained in my mind.

One of the things I'm having difficulty remembering is that it's a o e u i layout for the vowels, this slows me down a bunch having to remember which key is under which finger constantly.  Also I think it would force me to use the board more if I couldn't just switch back to qwerty so easily.

So does anyone know if there's a proper mechanical dvorak keyboard?  Preferably using white alps or blue cherries?

Preferably one that doesn't cost a fortune either. lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-FingerWorks-TouchStream-LP-DVORAK-Keyboard_W0QQitemZ270502124811QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_Mice_Trackballs?hash=item3efb2edd0b

This one looks interesting:  

http://cgi.ebay.com/TypeMatrix-Ergonomic-Keyboard-Dvorak-Qwerty_W0QQitemZ190348000777QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_Mice_Trackballs?hash=item2c519ffe09
Scissor switches I guess?

I guess I could get those stickers hmm.

AndrewZorn:
1 - switching back is what is going to make the process take longer, if it doesnt stop it from happening completely.
2 - print layout and hang it on wall behind monitor.  reminds you of keys without looking down.
3 - google for the QIDO device, use any keyboard you want, get "hardware" dvorak support.  ignore lettered keys, get blank keys, sometimes you can even rearrange keys... but you severely limit your choices when you are picking a keyboard just by its [non-physical] layout.

chimera15:

--- Quote from: AndrewZorn;142995 ---1 - switching back is what is going to make the process take longer, if it doesnt stop it from happening completely.
2 - print layout and hang it on wall behind monitor.  reminds you of keys without looking down.
3 - google for the QIDO device, use any keyboard you want, get "hardware" dvorak support.  ignore lettered keys, get blank keys, sometimes you can even rearrange keys... but you severely limit your choices when you are picking a keyboard just by its [non-physical] layout.
--- End quote ---

Those are good suggestions.. I did the hanging the layout on the wall thing, except I used a separate computer screen which is essentially the same thing, but I don't think it has the same psychological impact as pressing your finger on the actual letter.  I mean if I glance down at my board and see that I'm pressing nothing, or even the wrong letter it doesn't enforce the idea in me to the bone that this key equals this letter you know?

Sides there's the coolness factor, and not having to use a tsr or different driver/input change if you change the board to a different pc. lol

I suppose I can make one, the problem will be the caps.  I suppose I could make it a steampunk dvorak board...hmm...

Viett:

--- Quote from: chimera15;143000 ---I don't think it has the same psychological impact as pressing your finger on the actual letter.  I mean if I glance down at my board and see that I'm pressing nothing, or even the wrong letter it doesn't enforce the idea in me to the bone that this key equals this letter you know?
--- End quote ---

This is just something you're going to have to get used to. Ideally, you won't look down at all. I know it's really uncomfortable at first (I went through this 3 times), but you become a much better typer in the long run.

AndrewZorn:
and the QIDO device is small, portable... the whole POINT is to avoid trouble when moving the keyboard to a different computer.  a single hardware dvorak keyboard is probably more trouble than dvoraking any keyboard.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version