Author Topic: What games can you play on i5-5300u with integrated GPU?  (Read 8126 times)

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

What games can you play on i5-5300u with integrated GPU?
« on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 15:18:18 »
As per title. My desktop PC and my backup have both developed an acute case of brokenpinyitis, so I'm down to my light-weight office laptop. Means i5-5300u, integrated GPU, 8 GB RAM, basic SSD drive. So what are some games I could play in 1080p or 1440p without unpleasant visual degradation or borderline unplayable fps?

Genres: RPG, strategy, economic sim, or similar. I like racers but don't expect them to run nicely on this obviously.

Civ 5? Tropico 5? Eisenwald? Ember?

'Tis such a pity Blizzard has removed the Warcraft 3 ladder. :(

« Last Edit: Fri, 13 March 2020, 15:20:21 by NewbieOneKenobi »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: What games can you play on i5-5300u with integrated GPU?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 15:25:08 »
You might have to dial the settings back but you should be OK to run anything from like 2015 back.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 15:38:39 »
What's wrong with your other systems? I know that CIV V will run fine, especially with that much ram and an SSD, maybe even on max. I remember trying to play that game on garbage hardware ... and it would run on that, and I'm talking like half of the performance according to synthetic benchmarks, and half of the ram, or less, on a HDD. My friend did the same. Starcraft 2 used to run ok with settings cranked down on garbage hardware as well, but I think that changed significantly as expansions released. Maybe if you shut off all of the beautiful gore effects, etc? That integrated GPU is your weakest link. It benchmarks just a tiny bit higher than an ancient Nvidia 9800gt, which could barely ... kind of ... run Crysis when it came out. And even then, you're talking shared system memory with the GPU, which is probably going to be lower bandwidth ... so yeah.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 17:05:11 »
Rocket League too? I have heard of students playing that on freaking mobile Intel Celerons on max, not new ones either. I have never played that game before myself, but the requirements are very modest. Look at the minimum and recommended requirements for games you're interested in.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 12:25:48 »
Rocket League too? I have heard of students playing that on freaking mobile Intel Celerons on max, not new ones either. I have never played that game before myself, but the requirements are very modest. Look at the minimum and recommended requirements for games you're interested in.

it'll prolly run, buh minimum requirement says GTX 260/ ATI HD4850.   Soooo. ~ 170% the HD5500 integrated gpu.  It'll look crummy, but fps should be quite good.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 21:29:41 »
As per title. My desktop PC and my backup have both developed an acute case of brokenpinyitis, so I'm down to my light-weight office laptop. Means i5-5300u, integrated GPU, 8 GB RAM, basic SSD drive. So what are some games I could play in 1080p or 1440p without unpleasant visual degradation or borderline unplayable fps?

Genres: RPG, strategy, economic sim, or similar. I like racers but don't expect them to run nicely on this obviously.

Civ 5? Tropico 5? Eisenwald? Ember?

'Tis such a pity Blizzard has removed the Warcraft 3 ladder. :(

You can play Super Mario World 2 yoshis island with stuttering at 25 fps.

Its dual core so you need to upgrade.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 21:30:16 »
mm.. more like anything from 2012

I had a Pentium laptop that couldn't even run retro games at 60 fps.  Now we use it for downloading the entire abba gold cd and might do some folding at home on it.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 21:40:46 »
Should be able to play Diablo, Diablo II and Age of Empires.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 23:50:31 »

How many cores the processor has is almost irrelevant to in-game performance. The Pentium D was one of the earliest consumer dual core CPU series, and they sucked right out of the gate. They would be almost completely unusable today outside of minimal Linux distros. Conversely, some modern dual cores with good single core performance may still be perfectly acceptable in a lot of games, especially games that don't make effective use of multiple threads/cores.

Pentiums are not the flagship cpu that they used to be. Today they're basically just one step up from the bottom-of-the-barrel, Celerons. i5s are significantly further up the totem pole.

You can't exactly base much of anything in relation to performance in modern games on poor performance when emulating old games. It takes significantly more horsepower to emulate old console games because they were designed for very specific hardware that differed greatly from standard PCs. Games that are designed and optimized specifically for Windows and the X86 processor architecture, when made competently, are going to run many orders of magnitude more efficiently than even some of the best emulation of other consoles, even if you happen to have tweaked the settings in your emulator to what is most ideal for your particular ROM (which also makes a huge difference in relative performance).

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 11:31:53 »
Loads of good indie games have low system requirements. Dusk, Amid Evil, VVVVVV, Pony Island, Undertale, Downwell, Celeste, Spelunky..

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 20:48:45 »

How many cores the processor has is almost irrelevant to in-game performance. The Pentium D was one of the earliest consumer dual core CPU series, and they sucked right out of the gate. They would be almost completely unusable today outside of minimal Linux distros. Conversely, some modern dual cores with good single core performance may still be perfectly acceptable in a lot of games, especially games that don't make effective use of multiple threads/cores.

Pentiums are not the flagship cpu that they used to be. Today they're basically just one step up from the bottom-of-the-barrel, Celerons. i5s are significantly further up the totem pole.

You can't exactly base much of anything in relation to performance in modern games on poor performance when emulating old games. It takes significantly more horsepower to emulate old console games because they were designed for very specific hardware that differed greatly from standard PCs. Games that are designed and optimized specifically for Windows and the X86 processor architecture, when made competently, are going to run many orders of magnitude more efficiently than even some of the best emulation of other consoles, even if you happen to have tweaked the settings in your emulator to what is most ideal for your particular ROM (which also makes a huge difference in relative performance).
Oops

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 11:29:04 »

Oops

Everyone makes mistakes, and forums are a great place to learn.