Author Topic: Chinese USB Hall Effect Keyboard - Review and Impressions  (Read 114112 times)

Offline blighty

Re: Chinese USB Hall Effect Keyboard - Review and Impressions
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 10 September 2016, 15:51:08 »
So, the wellrui v901 seems to be a hall effect (seen here =http://www.walk-street.org/goods-527331739977.html)

147891-0

The above pcb matches the pics from earlier in the thread, at any rate.   :D

With these kinds of price break downs, i'm curious if the group buy can bring better quality and/or customization options not available with these mass produced models.

Code: [Select]
01 - 5 57.78 us$/each
6 - 49 48.89 us$/each
≥ 50  42.22 us$/each
≥ 500 To be discussed If you are ordering more than 500 pcs of this item, please place order first, then contact us, we will give you more discount on unit price
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 10 September 2016, 18:42:28 »
That looks like the same board. It is likely from the same manufacturer since I believe they hold a patent on the design (at least this is what they said). This is more than likely another reseller selling an older version of the board.

Those prices are FOB prices. Shipping is extra. I believe I said pricing was "complicated" when asked about it earlier. It depends on a number of factors.

Buy one of those boards if you want, I certainly can't stop you. The quality will probably match one of the older prototype boards before we fixed a bunch of issues. I can't promise that it will contain LEDs that don't buzz, springs that don't click, a programmable firmware, a detachable cable, Cherry stabilizers on all stabilized keys, or any of the other improvements that I'm negotiating with the manufacturer. You will get a better keyboard through my group buy for sure.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 10 September 2016, 19:11:59 »
That's right, I'm really digging the work XMIT is doing here, he clearly wants this project to be the best it can be. Think of this as an opportunity to steer the project into a direction you want and to help turn it into a better keyboard :) .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 10 September 2016, 20:54:04 »

I can't promise that it will contain LEDs that don't buzz, springs that don't click, a programmable firmware, a detachable cable, Cherry stabilizers on all stabilized keys, or any of the other improvements that I'm negotiating with the manufacturer. You will get a better keyboard through my group buy for sure.

Do you see your improvements being permanently absorbed into the system, or do you think that your group buy will be a one-time higher-quality product?

"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 10 September 2016, 22:05:58 »

I can't promise that it will contain LEDs that don't buzz, springs that don't click, a programmable firmware, a detachable cable, Cherry stabilizers on all stabilized keys, or any of the other improvements that I'm negotiating with the manufacturer. You will get a better keyboard through my group buy for sure.
Do you see your improvements being permanently absorbed into the system, or do you think that your group buy will be a one-time higher-quality product?

I'm hoping the former. Though, as with any sort of contract manufacturing, product consistency is all about quality control. Ultimately, it's about a relationship between designers, customers, and manufacturing.

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 09:04:56 »
I'm still in discussions with the manufacturer about various options.

One constraint: it looks like, at the moment, the ABS keyboard bodies are (a) only available in the 87-key form factor, and (b) only compatible with mini USB for detachable cables.

So, if I offer the 104-key or 61-key options, only the ABS and the acrylic body types will be available for now. Using glue we might be able to bond the two top layers together so that the screws are hidden.

A couple of reviewers received the bamboo and acrylic body types - any thoughts on these specific constructions in addition to what was mentioned above?

The bamboo boards now ship with a tung oil treatment. This increases waterproofing but can also impose a somewhat unpleasant aroma that not everyone likes.

I'm thinking that I may simply offer the acrylic body type for now. This has the advantage of being easily laser cut for customization. Mine has my name etched in the back! Photos to follow...

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 10:26:48 »
I find the acrylic model most visually appealing, personally. In black, fullsize, with keycaps that DOESN'T have those ugly stencil-font keycaps, it sounds great to me :) .

I don't really need a detachable cable, myself, although I can see the advantage of it. I'd like a proper waterproof one though, especially for the video.

XMIT, do you happen to know if the implementation of the Hall effect follows the explanation I put in the ITT Courier board? Or does it use something weird like those pulse things that you found?

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 10:38:59 »
XMIT, do you happen to know if the implementation of the Hall effect follows the explanation I put in the ITT Courier board? Or does it use something weird like those pulse things that you found?

I don't know - I'd need either a bunch of time with a sensor or a datasheet - but I'm pretty sure these are the straightforward "hold low" type and not the stupid pulse type.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 13:12:05 »
A couple of reviewers received the bamboo and acrylic body types - any thoughts on these specific constructions in addition to what was mentioned above?

I went for acrylic, because I though it suited the board best, especially when you have the LEDs on. It's nicely sturdy and, since it's held together entirely by screws, easy to take apart-- no clips to worry about snapping. Personally, I don't mind the exposed bolt heads, but then, I'm not a huge fan of minimalism when it comes to aesthetics, and I know a lot of others are.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 13:47:42 »
The acrylic really does feel weighty and substantial. I think it's the best option. The ABS has the most universal appeal and is the safest for the group buy. Bamboo is somewhat exotic - I really like mine, and I didn't think I would, but it may not be for everyone.

Offline zslane

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 19:01:35 »
ABS also has the advantage of coming in opaque colors, as well as black and white. You know, like normal keyboards.  ;D

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 19:13:40 »
The acrylic really does feel weighty and substantial. I think it's the best option. The ABS has the most universal appeal and is the safest for the group buy. Bamboo is somewhat exotic - I really like mine, and I didn't think I would, but it may not be for everyone.

Maybe it's just me, but I have always thought of acrylic as the "bottom of the barrel" when it comes to plastics.

But I don't like "sandwich cases" in general, anyway.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 20:54:32 »

Maybe it's just me, but I have always thought of acrylic as the "bottom of the barrel" when it comes to plastics.
Why? Oo

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 21:08:38 »
Oh come on Dr. Chyros*, surely you can tell us more good things about acrylic than that!

*ABD. >:-)

Offline Data

« Reply #64 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 21:29:18 »
Not a huge fan of acrylic here, either. It's always felt like a compromise for proper milled aluminum or injection molded ABS cases.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 04:54:03 »
Oh come on Dr. Chyros*, surely you can tell us more good things about acrylic than that!

*ABD. >:-)
Don't jinx it! xD

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 06:35:13 »
The manufacturer confirmed that the 87-key TKL mold is the only mold they have. Getting 61 or 104 key boards in ABS will require cutting a new mold, which is expensive. That certainly won't happen for this group buy, sorry.

Yes, other materials have their downsides, but a strong upside is that they are much more friendly to low production runs. If these boards are successful there is always a chance of ABS cases later. (Aluminum too.)

As mentioned earlier, mini USB or an attached cable are the only options offered on the ABS bodies due again to retooling costs. The other materials - bamboo and acrylic - can offer micro USB or USB C. There may be a minimum order for these options.

One exciting development is that they do plan to offer a numeric keypad in bamboo or acrylic.

Later this week I'm hoping to have enough information together to move forward with some sort of group buy. This takes time, there is a lot to get right!

Offline saxophone

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 07:53:25 »
If

Is the ABS case then I'm pretty much satisfied with it. It'd be BEST if the part between arrow keys and the upper cluster was complately lat with no logo/indents besides two lights for caps/scroll lock.
Is it only available in black or will there be other colors availabe?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 08:12:19 »
In regards to a detachable cable, I don't see what the big deal is. I thought it was fairly easy to make your own cable, setup like this Pexon cable. Then just desolder the stock cable and resolder in the cable of your choice. Just swap in your own detachable cable mod.

I think I'd rather see this keyboard in a normal ABS case. I'm borrowing a review board from engicoder who said he's not a fan of the bamboo case. I'll have to see for myself. And I've not seen an acrylic layered case I liked very much. They usually feel like they're low quality. Those acrylic bumpons just stuck on the bottom of the board in the OP didn't make me feel like my opinion was changed much.

Very excited to get my hands on a board and to see where these changes are going. Very excited about the GB.

Offline saxophone

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 08:31:16 »
In regards to a detachable cable, I don't see what the big deal is. I thought it was fairly easy to make your own cable, setup like this Pexon cable. Then just desolder the stock cable and resolder in the cable of your choice. Just swap in your own detachable cable mod.
That's easy cause you just plug the thing into the PCB. If you look at the preview pictures here you'll see that each contact of the cable is soldered onto the PCB and then a click of hotglue to cover the whole thing. (standard procedure with cheap chinese keyboards) this is not something people want to fiddle with as not everyone here has soldering tools ready. It'd be the best if it's simply a female mini-usb port on the case.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 12:53:05 »
Man, I'm surprised that so many people are down on acrylic as a material. To me, it feels and looks like much more of a high quality substance than the usual ABS and perhaps even preferable to aluminum (though, quite frankly, I've worked too many Apple products to death in my time to find aluminum very exciting anymore). And surely having all screws and no clips would be an advantage to anyone who wants to tinker with the board, examine the PCB, or just gaze with wonder upon the array of tiny HAL sensors once in a while.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 19:59:37 »
If (this) s the ABS case then I'm pretty much satisfied with it. It'd be BEST if the part between arrow keys and the upper cluster was completely lat with no logo/indents besides two lights for caps/scroll lock.
Is it only available in black or will there be other colors available?

Yep, that's the ABS case! (I really need to add more photos to this thread...)

You'll have a choice of a black or white ABS case, TKL only.

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 20:00:17 »
Very excited to get my hands on a board and to see where these changes are going. Very excited about the GB.

I'm looking forward to your review as well!

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 23:55:39 »
excited for final gb-ready revision as well, will be following and lurking :)
I love Elzy

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 00:08:32 »

Sifo wants this? :O

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 00:17:58 »

hall effect is dope
I love Elzy

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #76 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 00:36:03 »

hall effect is dope

Does it come in blue?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 18:14:58 »
Got the board in from engicoder; he sent a bamboo prototype. First impression? It smells AWFUL. The tung oil hit me so heavy when I opened the box followed up by the smell of plastics straight from the factory. Ew. Disgusting.

Followed by the smell, the colorful lights are are really fun. I love LEDs haha.

And when the keyboard drivers finally installed, the switches are fantastic. I wish they were a bit heavier. I'd rather have them closer to like 65g but I really can't complain. I'm really happy with them. A bit of wobble, super linear, and really really smooth. The throw is shorter than I expected.

More thoughts to come.

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 19:23:03 »
Thanks CPTBadAss!

I was able to get my hands on a tung oil coated board as well. The smell is ... really quite strong. I won't offer this option unless someone goes out of their way to ask for it. Though, I am really curious to see how this dissipates over time.

I'm getting things together for a group buy. For now, to make things super simple, there will be one option, just one. It comes in any color you want, so long as it is black:

Body: Black ABS plastic
Key caps: PBT+POM double shot, black
Backlighting: Yes
Cable: Detachable, USB, using mini USB connection.
Stabilizers: Cherry MX mount
Weight: 50g

I know this isn't everyone's favorite choice but it is the least common denominator. Sticking with just one option really makes things quite a lot easier. If this group buy is a success maybe we'll open up choices later on.

So to those who don't like the lights: please turn them off. For those who don't like the key caps: please remove them using the enclosed key puller. For those who want heavier springs: perhaps I'll offer a spare set of springs if there is sufficient interest. For those who want 60% or full size boards: please wait for the next group buy.

If you multiply all of the available options there are well over 500 choices!

Manufacturing is all about compromise and growing sustainably. Again, if this round goes well, there will likely be another!

Offline Data

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 18:37:45 »
Thanks CPTBadAss!

I was able to get my hands on a tung oil coated board as well. The smell is ... really quite strong. I won't offer this option unless someone goes out of their way to ask for it. Though, I am really curious to see how this dissipates over time.

I'm getting things together for a group buy. For now, to make things super simple, there will be one option, just one. It comes in any color you want, so long as it is black:

Body: Black ABS plastic
Key caps: PBT+POM double shot, black
Backlighting: Yes
Cable: Detachable, USB, using mini USB connection.
Stabilizers: Cherry MX mount
Weight: 50g

I know this isn't everyone's favorite choice but it is the least common denominator. Sticking with just one option really makes things quite a lot easier. If this group buy is a success maybe we'll open up choices later on.

So to those who don't like the lights: please turn them off. For those who don't like the key caps: please remove them using the enclosed key puller. For those who want heavier springs: perhaps I'll offer a spare set of springs if there is sufficient interest. For those who want 60% or full size boards: please wait for the next group buy.

If you multiply all of the available options there are well over 500 choices!

Manufacturing is all about compromise and growing sustainably. Again, if this round goes well, there will likely be another!

This is a fair compromise.  If this option includes the several improvements you've been working on with the manufacturer it'll be a solid board and a successful GB.  I'm still interested. I can look at getting a bamboo case later if we figure out the tung oil issue, or just have one made on the side.

It's the manufacturer willing to share any case drawings with us? Probably a long shot, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 21:45:46 »
Very cool.  Plus one for the second set of springs. 

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline tribade

« Reply #81 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 00:12:41 »
I really like this board.  Have always wanted a hall effect since I'm in love with linear switches.  I personally have wanted a bamboo case for a long time.  And a bamboo wrist wrest, because I think it would go well with silver aluminum, but that's off-topic.  My parents have a bamboo desk and it would be a hoot to have a bamboo keyboard as well.  It's a strong, sustainable wood that has a really nice grain if you ask me...
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline Bucake

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 19:18:17 »
i would've preferred 60% but since i actually like the ABS case, i might just get one. would be my first board with LEDs!
though, from where would this get shipped? i'm "worried" about heavy shipping + import costs

when the keyboard drivers finally installed

did you need to install any? or do you mean windows was slow to recognize what drivers to install/use?
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 21:25:23 »
though, from where would this get shipped? i'm "worried" about heavy shipping + import costs

The current plan is to run a group buy shipping these through the US. That's not great for you, sorry. :(

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 22:02:18 »

when the keyboard drivers finally installed

did you need to install any? or do you mean windows was slow to recognize what drivers to install/use?

Windows was being slow. And my computer is pretty old.

Offline saxophone

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 02:29:30 »

The current plan is to run a group buy shipping these through the US. That's not great for you, sorry. :(
Can't you run something like they do on aliexpress were the manufacturer sends the item directly via chn airmail or dhl or something as a "gift". I don't mind tossing $20-30 to shipping but it's pointless to pay import fees when these can be completely avoided and have been before.

Offline daybreak365

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 17:16:29 »
Just just made my day (and possibly my year). I am definitely in for the GB.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 17:26:01 »

or something as a "gift"

Running multiple equal packets of money through as "gifts" can be a red flag unless it happens only on your birthday.

I try to stay above board even if it means paying tribute.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 20:54:11 »
Interesting. I'll be in for at least one - the default specs for this GB are what I would get anyway. Looks like I'll finally get a chance to try Hall Effect!
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #89 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 09:06:35 »

Can't you run something like they do on aliexpress were the manufacturer sends the item directly via chn airmail or dhl or something as a "gift". I don't mind tossing $20-30 to shipping but it's pointless to pay import fees when these can be completely avoided and have been before.

This doesn't scale, so, no, sorry. We did this for the prototypes but it's not feasible for larger production runs.

Speaking of which, I do have an update for the production run and group buy: I'm awaiting some feedback from the manufacturer about several points of retooling: improved springs that won't ping, improved stabilizers that won't bind, and possibly dampened upstrokes. (Downstrokes should be easy to dampen with landing pads but I have not experimented with this yet.)

So again, thank you for your patience as I work to bring the best Hall effect keyboard available to you.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #90 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 12:06:24 »
wow, you're doing work. that's awesome xmit, thank you
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Data

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 13:30:06 »
wow, you're doing work. that's awesome xmit, thank you
No kidding. Awesome.

Offline geostation

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 05 October 2016, 19:51:17 »
any chance of a wireless version in the future?

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 05:12:48 »
A wireless version is unlikely but I'll keep this in mine as a possibility. Thanks!

Offline geostation

« Reply #94 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 07:00:30 »
A wireless version is unlikely but I'll keep this in mine as a possibility. Thanks!
sigh , there goes my endgame.

Offline sypl

« Reply #95 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 00:24:00 »
So I picked one of these up on a whim off taobao just becuse they're dirt cheap. Typing on it now.

First thing I noticed that one row of LEDs was not working. One of the component fell off during shipping. I think LED lighting on keyboards is kinda dumb to be honest, but if the board has 'em, I want them working, so I found the component, whipped out the soldering iron and fixed it up. Deconstructing requires peeling off part of the label on the bottom as there's a hidden screw under there.

So how do the keys feel? Alright, I guess. Nothing revolutionary. Feels like a cherry black switch, which makes sense as they sold it with their 'black' switches to me. There was a blue version too but I didn't bother with that. Keys are very bouncy (spring bounce, not electronic bounce) and take a fair amount of force to bottom out. I find I don't bottom out on these, as actuation is very predictable.

Construction is OK, but nothing to write home about. Whole thing appears to be made of ABS plastic (case, plate, keys).

No programmability it seems, other than the ability to define a set of LED keys for, say, a game. There are already presets for CS, LoL and other games.

I took a look at the PCB but can't quite figure out how the Hall Effect works. There are two rings for the two springs (the large diameter outer one, and the small diameter inner one that tapers to a blunt point). Both seem to contact the PCB (the outer is always in contact, the inner may touch when key is depressed. Not entirely sure how it's meant to last billions of keypresses if the spring is hitting the PCB every time. And not sure what the components are either - does anyone have a clue? Or even better, a shematic?

I have not tried typing underwater with it...

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #96 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 06:21:57 »
the two springs

Sorry to say, if you have the little tapering second spring in your switches, then you didn't get the Hall Effect version of the switch at all, but rather the super cheap, contact-based (EDIT: or perhaps capacitive; see XMIT below) version (yes, there are different versions of the switch that seem to use the same stem design when seen from above). The Hall Effect version has only one spring, and a magnet inside the stem that's easily visible from underneath, and the PCB is covered with little sensors labeled "HAL".
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 October 2016, 16:58:45 by FoxWolf1 »

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #97 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 08:02:05 »
Hi - this Wellrui board uses what I believe are the capacitive (not contact based) version of the switches from the vendor I'm contracting with. This is /not/ Hall effect.

The construction and the firmware are similar to my version of the boards.

Again: I've been working with the manufacturer since July to bring refinements in stabilizers, slider inserts, and other tweaks. Yes, if you look hard enough, you might find other similar boards elsewhere.

There were some holidays in China that delayed things this week. Hopefully next week I can get final prototypes mailed out, and then I can start the group buy.

Offline mushman

« Reply #98 on: Sun, 09 October 2016, 15:54:42 »
Why take a switch type known for legendary reliability and introduce a point of failure with a detachable hub?

If you must use a detachable method can you ask the manufacturer to at least make it easy to repair once it fails?

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #99 on: Sun, 09 October 2016, 16:16:35 »
The review feedback was dramatically in favor of detachable cables, so, detachable cables for the first run it is. They also offer a soldered on connection.

The mini USB connector the manufacturer will use, is surface mount but also features two through hole pins. This is pretty reliable and an easy enough part to replace if needed.

Maybe in the future I'll offer a soldered cable as another option. That all depends on how well this first round goes.