Author Topic: Van Halen - 2007 reunion tour - ROCKS!!  (Read 4286 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Van Halen - 2007 reunion tour - ROCKS!!
« on: Sat, 29 December 2007, 08:50:46 »

Saw Van Halen (with David Lee Roth) at the MGM Grand (Las Vegas) last night.  It was ABSOLUTELY worth the trip!  Having seen Van Halen in concert twice before with Sammy Hagar (For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge tour and 2004 reunion tour), I have to say that Sammy can't hold a candle to Diamond Dave!  Unbelievably, he's still got, seemingly, all of his trademark pipes...he didn't shy away from any of the high notes and the vocals sounded spot on to me.

They did ZERO Sammy stuff...which was fine with me.  I heard everything I wanted to and more.  This is a close approximation to what the set list was (at least, what I can remember...they might have snuck a few more in that I have forgotten about):

1. You Really Got Me
2. I'm the One
3. Runnin' With the Devil
4. Romeo Delight
5. Somebody Get Me a Doctor
6. Beautiful Girls
7. Dance the Night Away
8. Atomic Punk
9. Everybody Wants Some
10. So This Is Love?
11. Mean Street
12. Pretty Woman
13. Drum solo (Alex is the MAN!)
14. Unchained
15. I'll Wait
16. And the Cradle Will Rock
17. Hot for Teacher
18. Little Dreamer
19. Little Guitars
20. Jamie's Cryin'
21. Ice Cream Man
22. Panama
23. Guitar solo (Eddie's still got it)
24. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Encore:

25. 1984
26. Jump

Eddie's 16 year old son, Wolfgang, is playing bass for this tour (not sure what the story is behind Michael Anthony not being on tour).  As far as I'm concerned, Michael Anthony was not missed at ALL.  Wolfgang absolutely rocked...was great with the audience, and did quite well with back up vocal duties.

For what it's worth, Eddie still wears his wedding ring even though his divorce was finalized this month (not sure what that is about).  

The interaction between Eddie and Wolfgang was classic father/son and very cool to see.  Seeing Dave and Eddie together interacting...it was like there was never a rift between them...great stuff!