Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1249431 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #300 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 08:51:42 »
Alps switches are superior to Cherry switches.

Well that's just the truth...unless you're talking about Black Alps, those just suck.

Offline nesiax

• key64 libre keyboard
« Reply #301 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 10:32:17 »
how about this raibow? :eek: not childish i think
Show Image

I bought color keycaps because I guess it will make the keyboard appealing for children, so I could introduce them into the exquisite art of touch typing, this way a child will know that every color corresponds to a specific finger and also it will be easy for them to found an A-pink key or a R-yellow rather than an A-black or and R-black.  Sounds crazy ? look at this thread at slashdot where  Finland dump handwriting in favor of touch typing. However I do not agree with the fact children are not going to learn handwriting since I pretty sure it helps to develop prime mover skills as required.
now: key64.org with cherry blue keys and dsa keys |  before: noppoo choc mini with cherry brown keys
Check out the key64.org project , A Libre * Design, Minimalist, Ergonomic, Splittable, Symmetric, Compact 64 Keys, Eco-Friendly, Durable, Native Colemak Keyboard, Embedded Mouse and Firmware Programmable USB Keyboard.  * Free as in Freedom.
The key64 need a case, if you want to design it please contact us

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #302 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 11:42:55 »
They'll still learn handwriting, only cursive is supposed to be optional.

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #303 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 22:00:06 »
To the people that said BS sucks, I say to you you suck....lol.  Jk?  At any rate what'd don't you like about them and have you tried both m/f?
Also what do you like.  I've tried a fairly wide range of switches I think.  The big ones I haven't are blue alps, topre, mx black, and mx red along with more less popular variants and other vintage switches.  Of note,  didn't want to read 16 pages of tap talk to maybe find the answers.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #304 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 22:02:27 »
To the people that said BS sucks, I say to you you suck....lol.  Jk?  At any rate what'd don't you like about them and have you tried both m/f?
Also what do you like.  I've tried a fairly wide range of switches I think.  The big ones I haven't are blue alps, topre, mx black, and mx red along with more less popular variants and other vintage switches.  Of note,  didn't want to read 16 pages of tap talk to maybe find the answers.

Model M BS does suck. Model F is awesome.

Offline dante

« Reply #305 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 22:05:47 »

M2 > F > M (1390120) > SSK > M > Unicomp

Offline Touch_It

Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #306 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 22:06:14 »

Lies!

F>m2>m.

Love all 3 lol

@dante woah s fellow m2 lover.  That has to be unpopular lol

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #307 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 22:14:24 »
M2? Are you people serious? Sheesh. M2 is a much less crisp force curve than either M or F. M2 is the black Alps of buckling spring switches.

Offline dante

« Reply #308 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 23:06:13 »
M2? Are you people serious? Sheesh. M2 is a much less crisp force curve than either M or F. M2 is the black Alps of buckling spring switches.

Is the M2 less sturdy and less well made than other M's?  Yes.

IMHO is the M2 still more fun than typing on other M's?  Yes.

Black Alps huh? :D  I'd say M2 is more like the equivalent of Ducky XM Green Alps :)

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #309 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 23:14:22 »
M2?  I never typed on one so I can't tell you to be honest.  The only one I encountered had a broken spacebar, and I had my other keyboard anyway.  I just remember that it had some sort of plastic bar underneath it that was broken.  (That's about all I remember.)

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #310 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 01:17:40 »
- Thread necromancy is fun.
- I like MX browns.
- Keyboards without a numpad are fundamentally crippled. Having the numpad embedded as a FN layer is only acceptable if the keyboard has an ortholinear layout, and even then is annoying because I don't want to have to sit there holding a key. And apparently some separate numpads don't actually send the right codes so they're useless for the other thing I commonly use my numpad for, which is alt codes? Derp.
- It is infuriating, however, that numpads have a useless double-width zero and not a , key so that I don't have to use two hands or move my hand when typing something like 32,656,365. Not only do they need to exist, they need a , key.
- Keyboards without a windows key are completely useless. I use win key shortcuts all the time, and have never accidentally pressed it in a game.
- Enough keyboards are made with non-standard layouts like 1.5 1 1.5 6 1.5 1 1 1.5 and similar that I really wish places would start making keycap sets or partial sets to accommodate such things, since sadly nobody is going to be able to beat the 1.25 1.25 1.25 6.25 1.25 1.25 1.25 1.25 spacing into everyone, and even if they did, boards with nonstandard bottom rows already exist.
- My crappy old low-profile rubberdome Acer keyboard that came with my last computer was better for some games than my Monoprice with MX Blues.
- Artisan keycaps need to come in prettier colours and nicer shapes. They're a cool enough concept, but all the creepy faces/masks and boring/garish colours are kind of eh. Like, where's my clear sky blue iridescent microglitter mini castle? (Actually, I'm a tabletop gamer. That brings up a thought that I want to see Chessex making keycaps along with dice. Imagine an entire keyset of, say, Borealis Royal Purple. Your eyes would never recover and it'd be slipperier than a worn ABS spacebar, but damn would it look amazing.)
- Backlighting is only acceptable if it looks like a Christmas tree had a baby with your keyboard. If its only purpose is to illuminate the legends I'm not looking at when I type anyway, what's the point? I want to lose hours poking at a keyboard that does completely useless things with the lights when I press a key, or have it not light up at all except to tell me if I've accidentally hit caps lock.

- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline Khers

• Schrödinger's box
« Reply #311 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 06:05:02 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:09:45 by Khers »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #312 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 08:03:27 »

- It is infuriating, however, that numpads have a useless double-width zero and not a , key so that I don't have to use two hands or move my hand when typing something like 32,656,365. Not only do they need to exist, they need a , key.

I kind of like the numpad "0" but there is surely a need for a comma over there.

And, if you shrunk both the "0" and the "+" you could get another ":" (colon) which would be great for time and ratios.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline Xonar

• Cathode Ray Tubes
    • DPS
« Reply #313 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 08:49:02 »
1. I think full size keyboards are the only ones worth using for an extended period of time.
2. My $5 White Alps keyboard will always be more fun to type on than a $500 custom Cherry board.
3. MX Browns aren't as bad as everyone says.
4. Cherry stabilizers are not terrible.
5. Trackballs are the worst.
6. The ErgoDox isn't appealing to me in the least.
7. HP's silver and black rubberdome board that I'm sure everyone here has encountered at some point isn't all that bad.
8. Artisan caps can look cool but not worth the high prices that they can fetch.
9. You can never have too many IBM keyboards.
10. Unicomp quality isn't as good but they feel exactly the same as a brand new original Model M. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
11. Heavily used Model M's feel better than new ones.
12. The XT Model F is not even worth owning because of that layout.
13. You're doing it wrong if you aren't bottoming out.
14. Apple makes the best scissor switch keyboards.

IBM Model F XT 5291 Bigfoot x2 | Unicomp UN4KPHA JP Spacesaver M | IBM Model M 3270 APL 122-Key | SHARP X68000 | SGI AT-101 | Samsung TH-5539 FAME Blue Alps | IBM Japanese Pingmaster | HHKB Type-S | IBM Model M 1392595, 6/4/1990 | IBM Model M 1391401, 2/2/1988 | Lexmark-branded 1398601 Model M, 8/18/1995 | Unicomp UB40T5A 122-Key, 5/20/2011 | Sun Type 4 | Sun Type 5c | DEC LK-401AA

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #314 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 08:54:15 »
BROWNS SUCK
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Lunatique

• Writer, Composer, Artist, Photographer, Gamer
« Reply #315 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 14:05:26 »
-Every keyboard should have cable channels and rubber feet on all four corners.

-All keyboards using micro USB connectors should have L-shaped connectors, and ideally can rotate to both directions.

-Forcing two-handed operation of Fn layer combo keys should only be the last resort if one-handed possibilities are completely unavailable.

-Stop building hand-rests into keyboards. No one wants to use hard-plastic hand-rests when we could just buy comfortable foam/silicone/leather ones.

-Stop making keyboards with wide border frames. All they do is take up precious desk space and serve no function.

-All toggle-keys (such as CapsLock, NumLock, Scroll Lock) on a keyboard should have a visual indicator of what state it is in, and ideally it's on the keycap itself.

-We need a much wider variety of high-quality keyboard legend sticker sets--ones that don't rub off after a while, and have lots of varieties in design and color combinations.

-We need a superior version of the silicone keyboard protective skin/covers. The "transparent" ones are only semi-transparent and reduces readability of the legends too much, and the sheets are too thick. Why can't they be as thin and transparent as condoms?

-There needs to be a meet-up in the Sacramento area.

-Using white back-plate for LED backlit keyboards is a horrible idea (Razer Blackwidow Chroma, for example). The illuminated white back-plate is way too bright and competes with the illuminated legends, thus decreasing the readability/contrast of the legends drastically. Either have only the legends illuminated, or only the back-plate illuminated, but not both.

-Numpads on full-sized keyboards should always be on the left side, not the right. Putting it on the right is horrible for ergonomics.

-Fn keys on 60% keyboards should be placed at exactly between the X and C keys, and the M and , keys. Placing them any wider apart becomes less comfortable, while placing them closer together makes the spacebar too short and harder to press comfortably.

-Being able to touch-type is not a good enough reason to not want legends on keycaps. There are plenty of situations when not touch-typing that will be much more convenient to have legends, such as when doing any type of audio/visual content creation, or simply just using lots of shorcuts/hotkeys on complex software when your hands are not in a standard home-row position. That extra split-second it takes you to think when looking at a set of blank keys only slows you down and interrupts your workflow over and over.

-Matias switches should be a lot more popular than they are--especially the quiet switch, because it has excellent tactility and is about as quiet as a standard rubber dome keyboard. Matias switches also have built-in LED on each switch, and no one's really taking advantage of that design, while Cherry MX LED swtiches copied that idea and are getting all the attention.

-Everyone who spends any significant amount of their communication time using a keyboard (messaging, forums, emails) should learn to touch-type fluently. Same for anyone who considers himself a writer, or does a significant amount of typing for any reason (school work, job, whatever).

Being able to touch-type fluently makes a profound difference. Not having to look down at the keyboard and only focusing on what you're typing on the screen is far better for the flow from idea to words appearing on the screen, since a whole layer of interruption/translation has been removed.

Imagine if you are driving a car and must constantly look down to see which gear you're on, which pedal you're stepping on, what direction your blinkers are set to, etc. That's what not being able to touch-type is like.

-Keyboard manufacturers really need to learn a few lessons from headphone manufacturers in terms of using a wider range of interesting, fashionable, and visually pleasing designs and color palettes. The kind of creativity seen in custom/DIY keyboards--that's what we should be seeing from the keyboard manufacturers, instead of the same boring designs, or on the other end of the spectrum, garish gamer-centric designs.

-WASD's custom keycap colors should be expanded to beyond those typical colors. We need colors like tea, cappucchino, cream, copper, gold, silver, khaki, ochre, peach, burgundy, mauve, yellow-green, indigo blue, pale yellow, etc.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #316 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 14:11:05 »
-Every keyboard should have cable channels and rubber feet on all four corners.

-All keyboards using micro USB connectors should have L-shaped connectors, and ideally can rotate to both directions.

-Stop building hand-rests into keyboards. No one wants to use hard-plastic hand-rests when we could just buy comfortable foam/silicone/leather ones.

-There needs to be a meet-up in the Sacramento area.

-Matias switches should be a lot more popular than they are--especially the quiet switch, because it has excellent tactility and is about as quiet as a standard rubber dome keyboard. Matias switches also have built-in LED on each switch, and no one's really taking advantage of that design, while Cherry MX LED swtiches copied that idea and are getting all the attention.

-Everyone who spends any significant amount of their communication time using a keyboard (messaging, forums, emails) should learn to touch-type fluently. Same for anyone who considers himself a writer, or does a significant amount of typing for any reason (school work, job, whatever).

-WASD's custom keycap colors should be expanded to beyond those typical colors. We need colors like tea, cappucchino, cream, copper, gold, silver, khaki, ochre, peach, burgundy, mauve, yellow-green, indigo blue, pale yellow, etc.
popular opinions

-All toggle-keys (such as CapsLock, NumLock, Scroll Lock) on a keyboard should have a visual indicator of what state it is in, and ideally it's on the keycap itself.
LEDs are a thing
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #317 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 14:53:06 »
-Forcing two-handed operation of Fn layer combo keys should only be the last resort if one-handed possibilities are completely unavailable.
Can you explain this? Two-hand chords are much better for you than one-hand chords. Do you care about this mainly because your right hand is always on a mouse, or...?

People should ditch their palmrests altogether. Problem solved.

Toggle keys (and in general, other modes in user interfaces) are fundamentally broken. If we had enough thumb keys on a keyboard, we would have no need for modes. Caps lock and num lock are particularly stupid types of modes, based on poorly designed assumptions from 30+ years ago.

[On the other hand, firmware should be programmable enough that if a user really wants to create some kind of mode, e.g. for Photoshop or a game or whatever, it should be easy to do.]

-We need a much wider variety of high-quality keyboard legend sticker sets--ones that don't rub off after a while, and have lots of varieties in design and color combinations.

-We need a superior version of the silicone keyboard protective skin/covers. The "transparent" ones are only semi-transparent and reduces readability of the legends too much, and the sheets are too thick. Why can't they be as thin and transparent as condoms?
These two are indeed unpopular. Who the hell wants stickers or condoms on their keyboard?

-Numpads on full-sized keyboards should always be on the left side, not the right. Putting it on the right is horrible for ergonomics.
Numpads are for accountants and data entry clerks. Anyone who isn’t an accountant or data entry clerk doesn’t really need a numpad at all.

-Being able to touch-type is not a good enough reason to not want legends on keycaps. There are plenty of situations when not touch-typing that will be much more convenient to have legends, such as when doing any type of audio/visual content creation, or simply just using lots of shorcuts/hotkeys on complex software when your hands are not in a standard home-row position. That extra split-second it takes you to think when looking at a set of blank keys only slows you down and interrupts your workflow over and over.
More convenient for you maybe. The statement is only an “unpopular opinion” because you’re judging other people for having different preferences. (And why? Like seriously, who are you to judge what is a good or bad reason for someone else’s preferences.)

-Keyboard manufacturers really need to learn a few lessons from headphone manufacturers in terms of using a wider range of interesting, fashionable, and visually pleasing designs and color palettes. The kind of creativity seen in custom/DIY keyboards--that's what we should be seeing from the keyboard manufacturers, instead of the same boring designs, or on the other end of the spectrum, garish gamer-centric designs.
Keep in mind, headphones are primarily fashion accessories, and playing music is a secondary function. Keyboards are not fashion accessories, and therefore the market for them is different. The market for stylish keyboards is a tiny tiny niche, because almost no one judges someone by how stylish their keyboard looks, and most keyboards stay at people’s desks. For the same reason, people don’t need to have stylish bathroom scales or stylish waffle irons.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #318 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 14:56:42 »
This is interesting arguing unpopular comments about keyboards?  Is there a plus side to this?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #319 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 14:57:08 »
Keep in mind, headphones are primarily fashion accessories, and playing music is a secondary function.
Tell that to anyone not wearing Beats

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #320 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 15:11:12 »

These two are indeed unpopular. Who the hell wants stickers or condoms on their keyboard?
Well, I do have a condom for my keyboard; it's transparent, thin, whatever. It's supposed to be used in medical institutions.

Offline drewba

« Reply #321 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 16:18:06 »
Numpads are for accountants and data entry clerks. Anyone who isn’t an accountant or data entry clerk doesn’t really need a numpad at all.

Yes, these are the only two applications where a numpad is necessary  :))     /Eyeroll.exe

My phone system at work is VOIP based, so I'm using my numpad constantly to dial numbers.

Offline Lunatique

« Reply #322 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 17:41:12 »
Well, I do have a condom for my keyboard; it's transparent, thin, whatever. It's supposed to be used in medical institutions.

More information, please. What is this mythical keyboard condom you speak of?  :eek:

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #323 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 17:43:05 »
I don't get the DSA craze this 2014 that happened.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #324 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 18:16:02 »

More information, please. What is this mythical keyboard condom you speak of?  :eek:

Offline Lunatique

« Reply #325 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 18:33:26 »
Can you explain this? Two-hand chords are much better for you than one-hand chords. Do you care about this mainly because your right hand is always on a mouse, or...?

If I happen to be using the other hand, such as holding a drink, a snack, a reference image I'm working from (for art), or playing on a musical keyboard (in the middle of composing/recording), or anything else that requires my other hand, I want to be able to operate the Fn functions with my other hand, such as play/pause/skip music that is playing.

Anyone who types in another language and can't find keyboards catering to that language (they make legend replacement stickers in various languages), or people with eye-sight problems (they make large legend stickers), or people who want to highlight certain keys for quicker identification but don't want to swap out entire keys, and so on.

As for a keyboard protector membrane of some kind, if you have never spilled a drink or dropped food crumbs into the crevices of your keyboard, then you wouldn't understand.

I do content creation (audio/visual), and I use the numpad to into parameter numbers such as exposure, color, contrast, audio sample position, timeline position, synth programming parameters, etc.

More convenient for you maybe. The statement is only an “unpopular opinion” because you’re judging other people for having different preferences. (And why? Like seriously, who are you to judge what is a good or bad reason for someone else’s preferences.)

If my driving analogy didn't convince you, then you won't be convinced, and that's fine.

Keep in mind, headphones are primarily fashion accessories, and playing music is a secondary function. Keyboards are not fashion accessories, and therefore the market for them is different. The market for stylish keyboards is a tiny tiny niche, because almost no one judges someone by how stylish their keyboard looks, and most keyboards stay at people’s desks. For the same reason, people don’t need to have stylish bathroom scales or stylish waffle irons.

There are plenty of headphone designs by headphone companies that place audio quality above all else, yet still have beautiful designs that are tasteful and functional, and not at all catered teenagers blindly following trends (look at the headphones around $1,000 or more). Beats is not even really considered part of the head-fi movement, and it's only very recently that the headphone community started to give it a little respect, after they started releasing headphones that actually sounded pretty good, instead of being just fashion pieces that sound like crap.

Also, it's not about judging people by their keyboards--it's about aesthetic pleasure one feels when using one's own keyboards. Good looking design is just a pleasure to behold--you get pleasure from it. If keyboards were simply thought of as completely utilitarian and no one gives a damn about how they look  (like a USB hub or a memory card, for example), then there wouldn't be a hardcore DIY/custom community in the first place.

Show Image

That's basically one of those "shower-cap" styled keyboard protectors. I went through a bunch of those already--they will tear at the spots your nails scrape on most open (it's always the A key for me), and I'd then have to put a piece of clear tape over that spot. Also, it's too loose and not tight enough, so there are wrinkles that reflect the light and obscure the keys.
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 January 2015, 18:36:36 by Lunatique »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #326 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 19:36:58 »
If I happen to be using the other hand, such as holding a drink, a snack, a reference image I'm working from (for art), or playing on a musical keyboard (in the middle of composing/recording), or anything else that requires my other hand, I want to be able to operate the Fn functions with my other hand, such as play/pause/skip music that is playing.
Play/pause/skip is far from the only thing someone might want to put on a function layer.

For example: I have on function layers: mouse and keyboard navigation (keyboard navigation ends up taking maybe 40-50 shortcuts if you want to be able to do everything, but I still need to work on figuring out the best organization), numbers, symbols of various sorts, alphabets in other languages, common blobs of text I find myself repeatedly typing, tab/window/application switching, quick access to various useful directories, text processing commands, commands for sending the current selection to various applications or dumping it to a file somewhere, commands for popping up the clipboard history and putting stuff onto / off of it, commands for searching the current window/field for the text typed, commands for taking various sorts of screenshots, various audio and media controls. Hopefully in the future I can get shortcuts up for macro recording and playback. Etc. etc.

If you tried to fit this all on one hand on a standard layout keyboard, it would be nearly impossible to keep it straight. By properly arranging things though, and taking advantage of extra thumb keys and two-handed chords, it’s possible to pack a huge amount of functionality into a pretty well organized and easy to remember hierarchy of shortcuts, and make routine computer use dramatically more efficient.

If all you need is play/pause/skip for some music while your other hand is holding a snack, then sure, put it on one hand. Or better, just dedicate some separate keys to just those functions.

I do content creation (audio/visual), and I use the numpad to into parameter numbers such as exposure, color, contrast, audio sample position, timeline position, synth programming parameters, etc.
Numbers (in a numpad arrangement or some other arrangement, but probably not just all in a row) definitely belong on a function layer. Reaching up to the top row or over to a discrete numpad is a huge slowdown when typing on a standard keyboard. A numpad on the left is just as obnoxious a slowdown as one on the right, in addition to being the wrong shape to be easily used by the left hand.

There’s nothing inherently wrong with using a standard-layout numpad for whatever arbitrary purpose. It just happens to have mostly been designed for data entry in fields such as accounting, and is therefore a pretty awful layout for almost every other purpose. It’s better than the standard number row for typing numbers, but now that we have fully programmable firmware and the capacity to make keyboards with arbitrary layouts, we can do much much better.

Better input devices for “audio/visual content creation” would have keys in a hand-friendly arrangement for both hands, with a layout optimized to manage adjusting whatever relevant parameters you need with the same hand you use for other keyboard commands. They would additionally include multiple analog inputs (knobs, sliders, trackballs, touchscreens) to allow you to adjust those parameters in an analog way with real-time feedback instead of only typing numbers. A numpad is only a useful tool for this kind of purpose because the other easily available tools are even less effective, not because it’s inherently well suited to the task.

-Being able to touch-type is not a good enough reason to not want legends on keycaps. There are plenty of situations when not touch-typing that will be much more convenient to have legends, [...] That extra split-second it takes you to think when looking at a set of blank keys only slows you down and interrupts your workflow over and over.
More convenient for you maybe.[...]
If my driving analogy didn't convince you, then you won't be convinced, and that's fine.
Your driving analogy was about exactly the opposite thing (touch typing advocacy). I’m here objecting to the claim that legends are necessary to avoid constant workflow interruption. I’m pretty much entirely indifferent to the presence or absence of legends on keys, and I can’t think of a time when my workflow was interrupted by lack of legends. I suspect most people with blank keyboards feel the same, or they wouldn’t use them.

Basically, you’re projecting your own need for legends / lack of experience with blanks onto other people.

There are plenty of headphone designs by headphone companies that place audio quality above all else, yet still have beautiful designs that are tasteful and functional, and not at all catered teenagers blindly following trends (look at the headphones around $1,000 or more).
For $1000 or more you can get a very attractive (all metal, very fancy plastic, carbon fiber, or wood, painted whatever kind of color you want, with nice keycaps in any arbitrary color, and your favorite keyswitches with several choices of layout) keyboard. So presumably that’s not what you were talking about before.

But beyond that, any headphones that cost $1000 are absolutely fashion devices / status symbols first and headphones second, in the same way that luxury watches or handbags are.

Sure, people buy expensive cars, handbags, suits, shoes, watches, etc. because they like high quality things, but that’s not the primary reason any of those products exist or are priced so high. The primary purpose is to signal wealth/status/identity/values to other people: that’s a large part of what your word “tasteful” means (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taste_(sociology)#Imitation_and_distinction).

Since for most people, keyboards are not on social display and therefore not a positional good (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positional_good), the market for very fancy keyboards is a small niche compared to watches, headphones, etc.
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 January 2015, 20:08:59 by jacobolus »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #327 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 20:34:18 »
There is a lot of vitriol spewing out here.

There are a lot of people who work with numbers who are not accountants or clerks.
For people who work with numbers, and there are a lot of us, the numpad is vital and pleasant to use.

And I still maintain that detachable cables are simply problems that may not have happened yet.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #328 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 20:54:55 »
There is a lot of vitriol spewing out here.
I don’t think anyone here feels angry/caustic/cruel/bitter or is aiming for that as a tone, but note, the premise of this thread is basically “try to go troll each-other”.

There are a lot of people who work with numbers who are not accountants or clerks.
For people who work with numbers, and there are a lot of us, the numpad is vital and pleasant to use.
The numpad as it exists today is IMO a very ineffective design for generic “working with numbers”. So much so that a properly configured embedded numpad in a programmable 60% keyboard is more efficient, less error prone, and more comfortable for almost every such use case. Unfortunately most of the embedded function-layer numpads in 60% boards are also quite poorly designed.
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 January 2015, 20:58:32 by jacobolus »

Offline Lunatique

« Reply #329 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 21:16:29 »
Play/pause/skip is far from the only thing someone might want to put on a function layer.

For example: I have on function layers: mouse and keyboard navigation (keyboard navigation ends up taking maybe 40-50 shortcuts if you want to be able to do everything, but I still need to work on figuring out the best organization), numbers, symbols of various sorts, alphabets in other languages, common blobs of text I find myself repeatedly typing, tab/window/application switching, quick access to various useful directories, text processing commands, commands for sending the current selection to various applications or dumping it to a file somewhere, commands for popping up the clipboard history and putting stuff onto / off of it, commands for searching the current window/field for the text typed, commands for taking various sorts of screenshots, various audio and media controls. Hopefully in the future I can get shortcuts up for macro recording and playback. Etc. etc.

If you tried to fit this all on one hand on a standard layout keyboard, it would be nearly impossible to keep it straight. By properly arranging things though, and taking advantage of extra thumb keys and two-handed chords, it’s possible to pack a huge amount of functionality into a pretty well organized and easy to remember hierarchy of shortcuts, and make routine computer use dramatically more efficient.

If all you need is play/pause/skip for some music while your other hand is holding a snack, then sure, put it on one hand. Or better, just dedicate some separate keys to just those functions.

I have a X-Keys XK-24 for all the often used macros, shortcuts, hotkeys, etc, so I'm only using the Fn layer on my keyboard for whatever else I can't fit onto the XK-24. If you are using the keyboard for everything, then yes, having Fn layer keys all over the keyboard for both hand would be necessary.

As a related note, spiceBar's SpaceFN script for AutoHotKey allows the spacebar to be turned into the Fn key, so it becomes quite easy for one hand to reach most of the keys mapped to the Fn layer. I've been experimenting with it and have an on-going thread about it:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67243.0

Numbers (in a numpad arrangement or some other arrangement, but probably not just all in a row) definitely belong on a function layer. Reaching up to the top row or over to a discrete numpad is a huge slowdown when typing on a standard keyboard. A numpad on the left is just as obnoxious a slowdown as one on the right, in addition to being the wrong shape to be easily used by the left hand.

There’s nothing inherently wrong with using a standard-layout numpad for whatever arbitrary purpose. It just happens to have mostly been designed for data entry in fields such as accounting, and is therefore a pretty awful layout for almost every other purpose. It’s better than the standard number row for typing numbers, but now that we have fully programmable firmware and the capacity to make keyboards with arbitrary layouts, we can do much much better.

Better input devices for “audio/visual content creation” would have keys in a hand-friendly arrangement for both hands, with a layout optimized to manage adjusting whatever relevant parameters you need with the same hand you use for other keyboard commands. They would additionally include multiple analog inputs (knobs, sliders, trackballs, touchscreens) to allow you to adjust those parameters in an analog way with real-time feedback instead of only typing numbers. A numpad is only a useful tool for this kind of purpose because the other easily available tools are even less effective, not because it’s inherently well suited to the task.

Yes, but a numpad is what most of us have (on our keyboards or as a standalone unit), and in my case, it happens to be the best way to input numbers for editing parameters. A simple example: Let's say I'm editing photos in Lightroom, and I know I want to drop the exposure by exactly 2.75 stops. It's far faster to type that in a numpad with my other hand on the mouse than on the top number row on a keyboard (and I keep one hand on the mouse because I'm jumping between parameters constantly).

And you're right--a lot of so-called "dedicated" input devices for content creation (such as the many DAW controllers) aren't really all that great in the first place, I have never used one that is significantly better than just using the mouse and keyboard.

-Being able to touch-type is not a good enough reason to not want legends on keycaps. There are plenty of situations when not touch-typing that will be much more convenient to have legends, [...] That extra split-second it takes you to think when looking at a set of blank keys only slows you down and interrupts your workflow over and over.
More convenient for you maybe.[...]
Your driving analogy was about exactly the opposite thing (touch typing advocacy). I’m here objecting to the claim that legends are necessary to avoid constant workflow interruption. I’m pretty much entirely indifferent to the presence or absence of legends on keys, and I can’t think of a time when my workflow was interrupted by lack of legends. I suspect most people with blank keyboards feel the same, or they wouldn’t use them.

Basically, you’re projecting your own need for legends / lack of experience with blanks onto other people.

Sorry, that was a brain-fart. My mind skipped to another issue entire when I typed that.

To address the actual point you made, I would say that blank keycaps and the ability to have the entire layout of the keyboard so well memorized as to have it be second nature, is definitely not something the majority of keyboard enthusiasts have accomplished, or will accomplish. Although that's definitely an "unpopular" thing, since only a small percentage of keyboard enthusiasts have developed or want to develop that ability, my point was that for a large portion of the people, saying "learn to touch-type" is not a good enough reason to justify blank keycaps, since touch-typing isn't the only way to use a keyboard.

There are plenty of headphone designs by headphone companies that place audio quality above all else, yet still have beautiful designs that are tasteful and functional, and not at all catered teenagers blindly following trends (look at the headphones around $1,000 or more).
For $1000 or more you can get a very attractive (all metal, very fancy plastic, carbon fiber, or wood, painted whatever kind of color you want, with nice keycaps in any arbitrary color, and your favorite keyswitches with several choices of layout) keyboard. So presumably that’s not what you were talking about before.

But beyond that, any headphones that cost $1000 are absolutely fashion devices / status symbols first and headphones second, in the same way that luxury watches or handbags are.

Sure, people buy expensive cars, handbags, suits, shoes, watches, etc. because they like high quality things, but that’s not the primary reason any of those products exist or are priced so high. The primary purpose is to signal wealth/status/identity/values to other people: that’s a large part of what your word “tasteful” means (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taste_(sociology)#Imitation_and_distinction).

Since for most people, keyboards are not on social display and therefore not a positional good (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positional_good), the market for very fancy keyboards is a small niche compared to watches, headphones, etc.

I never wear my expensive headphones out in public, so for me it's got nothing to do with fashion. It's the same for most people who own expensive headphones--those stay at home, and often in protective cases when not in use. Also, expensive headphones from serious headphone companies (as opposed to opportunistic marketing schemes in the form of ****ty headphones that are constructed with pointlessly expensive material like 14-karet gold earcups or diamond crusted whatever) are definitely not about fashion or status first--it's about the sound quality first and foremost. The headphone companies know this because the head-fi community will tear their new products apart if its sound quality does not match its price point (it wasn't always like that, but the community has learned to discern from real quality from marketing hype, especially with the rising prevalence of measurement tests). There was a time when companies could get away with ****ty sounding but expensive headphones if they spin the marketing just right, but those days are over. Just look at all the backlash that happened with Beats--there is so much negativity regarding that brand now in online comment sections--people who feel like it's their duty to inform the public about what crappy headphones Beats are, and that prompted Beats to develop good sounding headphones to repair the company's image.

Beautiful design isn't just limited to expensive headphones though--there are plenty of cheap headphones with very nice designs, and at their price-point, it's not a status symbol, although I guess because cheap headphones are often worn while in public, they can be fashion statements. But who's to say keyboards can't be the same? For example, people who attend LAN parties. All that computer case modding--that's the geek's version of status symbol/fashion/street cred, and it certainly extends to keyboards, right?

Anyway, my original point was that "I" personally think visually appealing industrial design is never a bad thing, for anything, and it would be nice to see more variety of designs in keyboards. A good place to start is more variety of color palettes for mass-produced keyboards. Imagine if we had the same kind of choices in design/colors for keyboards as we do for smartphone cases. I know you're going to say that it's because smartphone cases are fashion statements, and we'll end up going around in circles, so I'll just say I know that, and I'm merely expressing a wish.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #330 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 21:42:18 »
Jacobolus - for whatever reasons, when I attempt to quote you in a reply, Geekhack crashes.

About the numpad, I could not possibly disagree more.

The numpad as it exists today is IMO a very ineffective design for generic “working with numbers”.

Are you talking about something that has to be toggled?

That is an absolute deal-killer in every situation as far as I am concerned. I despise the very existence of toggles and want dedicated keys for everything that is important. I have no problem with multi-key shortcuts, but the idea that I have to turn something off or on to get arrow keys? Are you ****ing kidding me?

Naturally, I have a large desk and am happy to also have a large keyboard. But to work in a spreadsheet with keys that can be either numbers or letters and to have some operation that is constantly happening to jump in and out? And having to remember what was on and what was off? No way I could live with that.

When I bought a laptop, a dedicated numpad was on of the most important features for me.

Pardon my vitriol, but dedicated numpads and arrow keys are precious and important to me.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #331 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 21:56:39 »
I think what is throwing me off is the topic of the thread itself.  Are these personal opinions that are unpopular?  Are these things we see other users saying on threads on this and other forums?  And what makes it unpopular or popular?  I guess my logic went out the window here.

Fohat, you are right on point.  I'm just confused about this thread in general and how to respond.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #332 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 21:59:30 »
I think what is throwing me off is the topic of the thread itself.  Are these personal opinions that are unpopular?  Are these things we see other users saying on threads on this and other forums?  And what makes it unpopular or popular?  I guess my logic went out the window here.
The same reason that makes literally any other opinion unpopular: it contradicts the popular opinion

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #333 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 22:09:42 »
About the numpad, I could not possibly disagree more. Are you talking about something that has to be toggled?
I don’t like things that get toggled.

For me, the best option is to have a shift-type thumb key that turns the opposite hand’s main section into a numpad of some sort. (I personally prefer having each finger get 2 numbers instead of a 3x4 grid arrangement, but sticking to the classic grid would reduce learning time.) For some people having a toggle-able mode as an option might be nice. Personally I don’t like modes.

But even if we decide that the numpad should be a separate discrete unit with its own dedicated keys for all the numbers and operators, it’s trivially easy to make something better than the standard numpad design.

But to work in a spreadsheet with keys that can be either numbers or letters and to have some operation that is constantly happening to jump in and out?
So in other words, you’re hopping your hand back and forth between the keyboard and numpad constantly, to type both letters and numbers into your spreadsheet cells? Sounds very inefficient, error-prone, and uncomfortable to me.

Same kind of slowdown (and RSI implications) as you’d get from alternating between keyboard and mouse.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #334 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 22:20:18 »
It's like having an 80%, 60% 75% 40% or whatever percent keyboard.
When you need a 100% keyboard, you realize it when you are on something that doesn't have it.

I suppose all FADS eventually FADE.

I can't wait until a few years from now...

You have to use your hands to use those things?  That's so outdated!  Why in the world would you need that?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #335 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 22:46:06 »
I prefer thick ABS double shot key caps with cherry profile over any other type of caps.
I want my space bars to be made of PBT because I hate to get them with shiny spots.
I prefer neutral colors for my caps, I just do not get it when people buy sets in colors like pink, and light blue.
I prefer to use plastic cases instead of those ultra expensive aluminum ones.
I hate leds in my keyboard, there is always good illumination at my desk, and my keyboard is not a x-mas tree, or a stop light, thus there is no reason to adorn it.
Topre is just an expensive type of rubberdome board.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #336 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 22:55:54 »
I prefer thick ABS double shot key caps with cherry profile over any other type of caps.
I want my space bars to be made of PBT because I hate to get them with shiny spots.
I prefer neutral colors for my caps, I just do not get it when people buy sets in colors like pink, and light blue.
I hate leds in my keyboard, there is always good illumination at my desk, and my keyboard is not a x-mas tree, or a stop light, thus there is no reason to adorn it.
All popular opinions

Topre is just an expensive type of rubberdome board.
not even opinionated, literally true

Offline dragonken

« Reply #337 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 23:02:10 »
backlight and RGB switches are unnecessary

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #338 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 23:05:14 »
Apparently this is unpopular on r/mk.  I wouldn't touch a Corsair keyboard with a ten foot pole.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #339 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 23:48:01 »
Apparently this is unpopular on r/mk.  I wouldn't touch a Corsair keyboard with a ten foot pole.

I got the k60 and k90 back in the day...   they both had the repeat key issue which corsair never fixed.... even after the patch it still did it sometimes.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #340 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 00:39:22 »
friend was looking to buy a new mech. Knew I was into keyboards. Asked for advice. Gave plenty of advice on a wide variety of brands and switch he could try. Still bought a k70 w/ browns. Why do I even try

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #341 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 00:44:49 »
friend was looking to buy a new mech. Knew I was into keyboards. Asked for advice. Gave plenty of advice on a wide variety of brands and switch he could try. Still bought a k70 w/ browns. Why do I even try

But, but Corsair!  /s

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #342 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 04:08:33 »
Quote from: Lunatique
The headphone companies know this because the head-fi community will tear their new products apart if its sound quality does not match its price point (it wasn't always like that, but the community has learned to discern from real quality from marketing hype, especially with the rising prevalence of measurement tests).
This comedy is pure gold.

Good luck tearing anything apart on head-fi, especially if it has something to do with sponsors (yes, head-fi is an ad site). Hint: you'll get banned pretty fast.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #343 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 08:15:30 »
So in other words, you’re hopping your hand back and forth between the keyboard and numpad constantly, to type both letters and numbers into your spreadsheet cells? Sounds very inefficient, error-prone, and uncomfortable to me.

You are probably right on that, but it is still far better than any of the other alternatives like shifting with the left hand to go between "L" and "3".

Generally I do all the number work with my right hand and let the left take over the whole alphabet.

And I don't know how it is that telephone numpads have the low numbers at the top and computer numpads have low numbers at the bottom, but that does not seem to bother me (after all these years).

PS - why is it that quoting you hangs my connection but it does not happen with others?
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline Lunatique

« Reply #344 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 09:17:34 »
Quote from: Lunatique
The headphone companies know this because the head-fi community will tear their new products apart if its sound quality does not match its price point (it wasn't always like that, but the community has learned to discern from real quality from marketing hype, especially with the rising prevalence of measurement tests).
This comedy is pure gold.

Good luck tearing anything apart on head-fi, especially if it has something to do with sponsors (yes, head-fi is an ad site). Hint: you'll get banned pretty fast.
I have never been banned there, and I'm pretty outspoken about a lot of the stuff I think are audiofool snake oil marketing stunts, as well as ludicrous diminishing returns. And that never stopped Jude from contacting me every year asking for permission to quote my reviews for their gift guides.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 January 2015, 12:13:01 by Lunatique »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #345 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 10:01:35 »
Haha, ever mentioned blind testing? ^_^

Offline Lunatique

« Reply #346 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 12:23:03 »
Haha, ever mentioned blind testing? ^_^
I harp on and on about the necessity of double-blind tests, how headphone amps are mostly a waste of money, how overrated the HD800 is, how lossless files and "high-end" portable players are all a waste of money, how expensive cables are snake oil, and advocate EQ'ing headphones properly with free/cheap parametric EQ instead of the endless treadmill of perpetual upgrades, etc. I also write in-depth posts dispelling common misconceptions in audio, the dangers of misguided priorities and dimishing returns, the importance of using correct terminologies to describe audio and avoiding hyperbole, and so on. Not only am I not banned, but actually well-respected in that circle.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #347 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 13:39:05 »
I harp on and on about the necessity of double-blind tests, how headphone amps are mostly a waste of money, how overrated the HD800 is, how lossless files and "high-end" portable players are all a waste of money, how expensive cables are snake oil, and advocate EQ'ing headphones properly with free/cheap parametric EQ instead of the endless treadmill of perpetual upgrades, etc. I also write in-depth posts dispelling common misconceptions in audio, the dangers of misguided priorities and dimishing returns, the importance of using correct terminologies to describe audio and avoiding hyperbole, and so on. Not only am I not banned, but actually well-respected in that circle.
first post in this thread that legitimately annoys me is about audio instead of keyboard. go figure

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #348 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 09:47:59 »
I can't imagine why that rustles your jimmies.

Offline meztek

• Keyboards! Keyboards everywhere!
« Reply #349 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 19:24:01 »
I cannot tell if this opinion is unpopular or not but I cannot stand cherry keyswitches.  Blues are barely tolerable compared to white ALPS and all the rest of them are worth nothing.  Especially the non-clicky ones.  Black ALPS are non-clicky tactile switches and they feel *tactile*, whereas by comparison Cherry MX Red, Black, Brown, etc. feel like mush.  I liken them to an expensive way to produce the same mushy feel of rubber dome keyboards.