Author Topic: [IC] [Originative] Thick PBT Dual Tone Dyesub Keysets - POLL ADDED  (Read 160041 times)

Offline joey

Re: [IC] {Originative Co.} Thick PBT Dual Tone Dyesub Keysets
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 11:13:48 »
I got my EnjoyPBT sets yesterday. I have to ask, will these sets have a thinner font? When you compare the EnjoyPBT font to old Cherry double shots, there is a noticeable different in thickness. I think I prefer the thinner font :thumb:

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #151 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 12:21:32 »
I got my EnjoyPBT sets yesterday. I have to ask, will these sets have a thinner font? When you compare the EnjoyPBT font to old Cherry double shots, there is a noticeable different in thickness. I think I prefer the thinner font :thumb:

I mean dyesub is just going to be thicker than doubleshot naturally. I bet if you compared the enjoypbt to OG dyesubs they'd still be thicker, but it would be a less noticeable difference.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline airs

« Reply #152 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 12:21:44 »
Looks awesome. I would be in for two or maybe even three sets.
Octagon v2, LZ CLS

Offline zutroy

« Reply #153 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 15:43:54 »
Definitely interested in a standard set w/ blue legends.

Offline ika

« Reply #154 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 15:50:08 »

I mean dyesub is just going to be thicker than doubleshot naturally. I bet if you compared the enjoypbt to OG dyesubs they'd still be thicker, but it would be a less noticeable difference.

It depends on who does the dyesubbing and on what base. For ex. IMSTO dyesubs on BSP were noticeably cleaner and less fuzzy than either IMSTO dyesubs on Gateron base or EnjoyPBT dyesubbing, which are comparable in terms of quality.

AFAIK MOZ hasn't disclosed who's doing the dyesubbing here but I suspect it's going to be enjoyPBT based on the color selection. Until MOZ says otherwise, I would assume they will look fairly similar to enjoyPBT dyesubs.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #155 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 16:44:24 »
I'm going to leave it to Sheraton to answer those question, as I understand, he is a little busy right now.

Offline Saiph

« Reply #156 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 16:50:57 »
There was a recent post on Originative that mentioned a new dyesubber. I believe this is who they're using for these sets. Here's the post. http://us7.campaign-archive1.com/?u=7217b4b610c10f912cb521846&id=0df6ac92f5&e=8d579fa505
Seems its the same people who did their currently available dyesub sets. I have the Classic Black and its pretty nice
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 May 2016, 16:53:49 by Saiph »

Offline Saiph

« Reply #157 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 16:52:43 »
edit:oops, meant to edit my previous post

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #158 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 16:58:10 »
So will these be Gateron caps with a new company doing the dyesubbing?
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Saiph

« Reply #159 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 17:02:07 »
I can't be sure that its Gateron but it definitely looks like it. It's thick and cherry profile. I ordered some Gateron blanks so I can compare them in a few days.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #160 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 17:05:52 »
I can't be sure that its Gateron but it definitely looks like it. It's thick and cherry profile. I ordered some Gateron blanks so I can compare them in a few days.
OK cool. I never saw the name Gateron so I've been wondering. 
I look forward to hearing about your comparison.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #161 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 19:32:26 »

It depends on who does the dyesubbing and on what base. For ex. IMSTO dyesubs on BSP were noticeably cleaner and less fuzzy than either IMSTO dyesubs on Gateron base or EnjoyPBT dyesubbing, which are comparable in terms of quality.

AFAIK MOZ hasn't disclosed who's doing the dyesubbing here but I suspect it's going to be enjoyPBT based on the color selection. Until MOZ says otherwise, I would assume they will look fairly similar to enjoyPBT dyesubs.

The PBT sets on our site currently will be the same dye-sub to the ones in this group buy.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #162 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 19:37:20 »
How is this different from EnjoyPBT which is still on sale by Shadovved?

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #163 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 20:08:33 »

a bunch of different (and imo more desirable) designs
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #164 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 22:23:28 »
Wil there be a planck/atomic add-on in the future?

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #165 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 22:59:38 »

Shadovved's group buy is great! I highly recommend it.

Our Group Buy is more focused on color variations and new legends :)

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #166 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 23:31:26 »

The people that are buying these sets usually don't use those types of boards :rolleyes:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #167 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 00:06:58 »

The people that are buying these sets usually don't use those types of boards :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Offline ceflame

« Reply #168 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 01:22:31 »
Awesome mockups.
Would it be possible to make the right winkey on the Black/Red Japanese set have black text for カタカナ and ひらがな?

I feel like having it red doesn't match, since the winkey flag is red also.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #169 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 02:28:04 »

Umm is it because these kind of set doesn't support those types of board so we never see them alive?

With the regular planck/preonic drop on MD and the lack of keycaps with legend for it, I'm pretty sure many people will interested. I know planck layout isn't the same each other because the programmibility but it consist of only 1u key so making a legend in 2 kind of row seems like a feasible way in term of budget (1u enter in R2 and R3, 1u tab in R4 and R3 etc) at least 1 of the option row is from the default layout.

Offline kohi

« Reply #170 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 02:57:30 »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #172 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 04:02:44 »
Would it be possible to make the right winkey on the Black/Red Japanese set have black text for カタカナ and ひらがな?I feel like having it red doesn't match, since the winkey flag is red also.
I think I should make the red dot black for consistency.

Definitely not for this round, we aren't looking to add any more keys. We can however consider a generic sort of addon for the future, something like a "mod set", with only primary legends and secondary legends which will be common to all the language kits in Light Grey color base. This is to meet the MOQ if such a addon is ever run. This is more or less consistent with the policy we'll follow for the ISO.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #173 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 05:31:28 »

But Japan flag is red dot?

Definitely not for this round, we aren't looking to add any more keys. We can however consider a generic sort of addon for the future, something like a "mod set", with only primary legends and secondary legends which will be common to all the language kits in Light Grey color base. This is to meet the MOQ if such a addon is ever run. This is more or less consistent with the policy we'll follow for the ISO.

Yap I do not suggest it for this round, but later as a separate mod kit like you said. In your policy the mod kit always light grey with black legend? Or will it come in another color for the legend to match previous set?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #174 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 06:13:26 »
WE should be able to offer in other colors. What I meant to say was that to reach MOQ, we will have same legends, so the secondary legends if present will be independent from the base set (Arabic, Hangul, Cyrillic and Japanese).

About the win key, that is only for the black-red set. Japense text on the winkey in black would look odd with the Japanese text on the Alt key being in red.

Offline qwack

« Reply #175 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 07:57:05 »
Looks tempting. Will you have any samples to show before launching the GB, or do we have to trust blindly the mockups?

Pure Pro w/MX Red - [review]

Offline redskull

« Reply #176 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 09:38:24 »
Looks tempting. Will you have any samples to show before launching the GB, or do we have to trust blindly the mockups?

keyset groupbuys dont come with samples. what is in the mockups will be very much exactly as what will be produced. you can check the countless keyset groupbuys before this including those previously on massdrop. at most, only 3d renders would be available.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 May 2016, 09:40:26 by redskull »

Offline qwack

« Reply #177 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 11:21:17 »
That's the way it's usually done, but I remember that when Matt3o was designing the keyset for the Whitefox (dyesub PBT from an undisclosed Chinese manufacturer — not Gateron/EnjoyPBT) he had samples made. Obviously, it may be more complicated here since there will be a lot of colors, but you never know. At least to see what the cyan, pink and other special colors would look like on a few keys. Since it's dyesub, it should be easier to have a few keys done first than with doubleshot keycaps, but I guess that depends on whether the GB organizer considers it worthwile or if he's confident he can sell sets just based on mockups.

Regarding "what is in the mockups will be very much exactly as what will be produced", there is often some variation. Sometimes it's for the best (Hyperfuse looks better in real life than on mockups), sometimes... ask to GMK TA buyers.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #178 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 11:24:56 »
I think with thesiscamper we've been spoiled with realistic mockups.  ;)

Offline qwack

« Reply #179 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 11:33:03 »
Probably  :D

By the way, this was not a criticism regarding the way this GB is organized, just something I was wondering about. Just to be sure that it does not come across as a negative comment.

Offline megaforce

« Reply #180 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 12:15:35 »
Oh my, those mock ups look delicious.
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #181 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 12:44:20 »
Down for either Blue and Red Hangul or Purple and Cyan Japanese.  :p

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #182 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 13:27:59 »
Probably  :D

By the way, this was not a criticism regarding the way this GB is organized, just something I was wondering about. Just to be sure that it does not come across as a negative comment.

Not taking it in a negative way. There are sample of the dyesub quality and keycaps on Originative's store. Regarding the colors, I'llt ry to work with Sheraton to find out colorspace the dyesubber (?) uses and have the colors in that profile, if possible physical samples of the color as well (Unlikely, but worth a shot).

Offline ceflame

« Reply #183 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 14:03:41 »
Would it be possible to make the right winkey on the Black/Red Japanese set have black text for カタカナ and ひらがな?I feel like having it red doesn't match, since the winkey flag is red also.

Black dot would be awesome.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #184 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 15:35:57 »
would there be any chance at all of doing icon mods?
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #185 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 15:48:30 »
That's the way it's usually done, but I remember that when Matt3o was designing the keyset for the Whitefox (dyesub PBT from an undisclosed Chinese manufacturer — not Gateron/EnjoyPBT) he had samples made. Obviously, it may be more complicated here since there will be a lot of colors, but you never know. At least to see what the cyan, pink and other special colors would look like on a few keys. Since it's dyesub, it should be easier to have a few keys done first than with doubleshot keycaps, but I guess that depends on whether the GB organizer considers it worthwile or if he's confident he can sell sets just based on mockups.

Regarding "what is in the mockups will be very much exactly as what will be produced", there is often some variation. Sometimes it's for the best (Hyperfuse looks better in real life than on mockups), sometimes... ask to GMK TA buyers.

So the really funny thing here is that white fox samples *were* made by gateron/enjoypbt and they were under the impression they would be tapped for production. There was miscommunication (and how everything went down depends on who you talk to) and enjoypbt made a full production run, but weren't chosen as the manufacturer. Which is why you can get those colors currently from shadovved.

But yeah, samples are for big, big orders, and probably not here.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #186 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 01:53:15 »

Do you means icon only mods?

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #187 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 06:08:09 »

Do you means icon only mods?

yeah, sorry, that's what I mean. Like on og qwertz sets
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #188 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 06:15:51 »
I highly doubt it, as there are few takers for icon only mods vs icon+text. It's supposed to be popular in EU, but many members here and on DT prefer them with text legends as well.

Offline cicada

• Formerly iamacicada
« Reply #189 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 07:25:02 »
I highly doubt it, as there are few takers for icon only mods vs icon+text. It's supposed to be popular in EU, but many members here and on DT prefer them with text legends as well.
Perhaps a separate kit for icon-only mods could work if there's enough interest right?

Offline DavidNZ

« Reply #190 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 09:42:25 »
I'm interested in the Purple and Cyan Japanese set. Excellent key selection as well.

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #191 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 09:57:30 »
in for a set when available, for sure

Offline s3vv4

« Reply #192 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 12:10:59 »
How does the Purple in the simple variant compare to enjoyPBT's Purple? I hope it's less pink and more real purple, like how the mock-up shows it.

Offline ipreferpie

« Reply #193 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 12:39:45 »
I know this is a stretch, but is there any chance to make a Colemak side kit for the more popular sets? I'm dying to find one in Cherry profile :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #194 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 12:44:23 »
I'm not sure about the purple used in last enjoyPBT drop but we are goign to attempt to have it as close to the GMK purple as possible.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #195 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 12:46:11 »
I know this is a stretch, but is there any chance to make a Colemak side kit for the more popular sets? I'm dying to find one in Cherry profile :(

You know what I was thinking the other day, maybe for the next round we can do a set with primary legends as Colemak and secondary as QWERTY. Similarly one for Dvorak.

Offline ipreferpie

« Reply #196 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 12:51:24 »

You know what I was thinking the other day, maybe for the next round we can do a set with primary legends as Colemak and secondary as QWERTY. Similarly one for Dvorak.

Omg!!!! I'll buy every single set if you do that :DDD

And I don't know if it's possible, but can you make Colemak side kits for already released popular GMK sets like Hyperfuse or Dolch (or even the upcoming GMK Carbon)? Not sure if the PBT colors can be similar enough to GMK

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #197 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 12:57:32 »
And I don't know if it's possible, but can you make Colemak side kits for already released popular GMK sets like Hyperfuse or Dolch (or even the upcoming GMK Carbon)? Not sure if the PBT colors can be similar enough to GMK

I think the issue would be more that they'd feel completely different. It would be pretty uncomfortable.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline ipreferpie

« Reply #198 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 13:00:01 »

I think the issue would be more that they'd feel completely different. It would be pretty uncomfortable.

That's true. It might be better to do a full alpha swap. Perhaps a purple on white Colemak alpha set can be combined with Hyperfuse. In any case, one can always dream :)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #199 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 13:16:34 »

Exactly, will have to do a full alpha swap, not really worth it IMO.