Author Topic: [IC] [Originative] Thick PBT Dual Tone Dyesub Keysets - POLL ADDED  (Read 160072 times)

Offline bananaplum

Re: [IC] [Originative] Thick PBT Dual Tone Dyesub Keysets - POLL ADDED
« Reply #250 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 01:27:14 »
OMG I am so happy to see this. I found Originative's Hangul set last night and was directed here when I asked for TKL expansion set.

I absolutely love the red/blue and the cyan/magenta. As a Korean, former graphic designer, at first I really wasn't sure about the font choice as Gungsuh font is very old-fashioned looking (not in a good way but like a "square" way), and only gained a kind of hipster cool status recently through web comics and whatnot... but with the bright colors I must admit it looks very unique and it's really growing on me. It does have that irreverent feel to it.

I do wish for a nice, colorful Hangul set with a sans-serif font. Pretty much 99% Hangul keycaps that I've seen so far always feature Korean in serif fonts. Also on dark backgrounds. I'm not complaining though. This set looks gorgeous.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 June 2016, 01:38:07 by bananaplum »

My first mechanical keyboard - KUL ES-87 :)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #251 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 04:41:45 »
For the Korean font, we might have to switch to the one used on existing sets on Originative.

Thoughts, Originative font, Gungush, or either?

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #252 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 04:56:56 »
For the Korean font, we might have to switch to the one used on existing sets on Originative.

Although I am not Korean and do not speak korean, I am still strongly considering going for a Hangul set to pay homage to one of my custom Korean boards. If I have a say in the matter then I'd prefer the Originative font.

Offline bananaplum

« Reply #253 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 08:45:40 »

My knowledge of fonts is getting a bit rusty but I believe that the font used in the Originative set is Gulim, another one of the default Korean fonts on Windows OS. Aesthetics-wise, I definitely prefer the Originative font due to the sans-serif look. (which is pretty ironic given that all of the design students and faculty loved to hate on the font in school ;D)

Offline bananaplum

« Reply #254 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 08:54:41 »
Oh, and if I might make another small request...

On the mockups it doesn't look like the "bar" on the F and J keys affected the position of the Hangul letters, but on the Originative set the "ㄹ" on the F key was slightly pushed up because of the bar and does stand out quite a bit. Could the Hangul letterings be positioned to be even across all the keys, on this set?

Offline SJHL

« Reply #255 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 11:37:29 »

As another Korean kb enthusiast, I prefer Gungsuh font. However, the set already looks nice so I can go either or.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #256 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 12:22:24 »

As another Korean kb enthusiast, I prefer Gungsuh font. However, the set already looks nice so I can go either or.

Gungsuh looks really nice also. Korean character printing on the set might be a bit too small for that font though. The size might not do justice for this font. As the previous poster, I'll go either way. I'm just thankful for this GB .

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #257 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 14:25:15 »
Thanks everyone for their feedback. It'll really help in the future, and we'll see if we can make adjustments on the current group buy :)

Offline Baddy126

« Reply #258 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 15:21:37 »
Will we be able to get a more accurate pricing on the sets in the interest check? Which ones would cost $70 which ones are $90? Also, do these prices include shipping?

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #259 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 19:08:50 »
Will we be able to get a more accurate pricing on the sets in the interest check? Which ones would cost $70 which ones are $90? Also, do these prices include shipping?

The MOQ is 100 per legend (or language).

I think we're looking at $75 with a group buy fee of $3 (or 2.9% + $.30 USD) / set.

Offline Bob

• Kaleidographer
« Reply #260 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 21:31:13 »
My knowledge of fonts is getting a bit rusty but I believe that the font used in the Originative set is Gulim, another one of the default Korean fonts on Windows OS. Aesthetics-wise, I definitely prefer the Originative font due to the sans-serif look. (which is pretty ironic given that all of the design students and faculty loved to hate on the font in school ;D)

It's really interesting to hear your opinion on the fonts Bananaplum. I'm not sure if I could say either way which one my wife would prefer (hoping to make this a surprise gift) I think she'll just be happy to never have to use those horrible stickers that always seem to melt off over time and leave her keyboard disgustingly sticky.

Sherryton, at this stage is there any indication you could give us for which colour combos are likely to be chosen for the Hangul set? Also, that MOQ of 100 sets is scary - how likely is Hangul to even go through?  :-[
TG3 BL82, Cherry MX clears
Access IS 15x8 matrix layout, Cherry MX blacks

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #261 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 22:25:20 »

Darn, was looking to join this buy specifically for the thick hangul font keysets :(

I have a black & red hangul set with the thick hangul font that I use quite a lot, probably my most used keyset, and was really hoping to get some more colors (black&blue/black&purple). On the flip-side haven't even mounted the EnjoyPBT hangul ones I got from Shaddovved's buy because I don't like the thin font.

Sadly for me personally, going with the Originative font would make me skip this group buy.

Gungsuh looks really nice also. Korean character printing on the set might be a bit too small for that font though. The size might not do justice for this font. As the previous poster, I'll go either way. I'm just thankful for this GB .

I'm not sure if this is the gungush font but the IMSTO set I use has a thick hangul font that looks quite nice even with the small size.

HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline Skydra

« Reply #262 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 22:39:55 »
Oh, and if I might make another small request...

On the mockups it doesn't look like the "bar" on the F and J keys affected the position of the Hangul letters, but on the Originative set the "ㄹ" on the F key was slightly pushed up because of the bar and does stand out quite a bit. Could the Hangul letterings be positioned to be even across all the keys, on this set?

I agree with this. I hope that the ㄹ key is align with the other hangul.

Also, I like the aethetic of originative font more than gungsuh. It looks cleaner and more professional to my opinion. Any other fonts option or only two?

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #263 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 01:50:13 »

Darn, was looking to join this buy specifically for the thick hangul font keysets :(

I have a black & red hangul set with the thick hangul font that I use quite a lot, probably my most used keyset, and was really hoping to get some more colors (black&blue/black&purple). On the flip-side haven't even mounted the EnjoyPBT hangul ones I got from Shaddovved's buy because I don't like the thin font.

Sadly for me personally, going with the Originative font would make me skip this group buy.

I'm not sure if this is the gungush font but the IMSTO set I use has a thick hangul font that looks quite nice even with the small size.
Show Image

Gungsuh or not, that is a really beautiful font in that pic! 😂

I get the impression that we who are getting the Korean set would like slightly thicker Korean characters, no?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #264 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 02:27:38 »
That is Gungsuh.

Offline bananaplum

« Reply #265 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 08:27:53 »

It's really interesting to hear your opinion on the fonts Bananaplum. I'm not sure if I could say either way which one my wife would prefer (hoping to make this a surprise gift) I think she'll just be happy to never have to use those horrible stickers that always seem to melt off over time and leave her keyboard disgustingly sticky

I'm happy to hear that, Bob! And your wife sounds like a very lucky woman... Not that I'm jealous or anything ;D I know about those stickers used them a long time ago, too.. I've been working without Korean keyboards for years (overseas) and I do use some Korean in my work. I went looking for those stickers when I was visiting home but they don't even sell them in stores anymore... I've mostly memorized the positions but for those less used consonants (ㅍ, ㅊ, ㅌ, ㅋ) it'll be nice to have the Hangul keycaps to see.

Offline bananaplum

« Reply #266 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 08:33:15 »
It seems like some people really prefer Gungsuh/thicker fonts. Despite my preference for the sans-serif fonts I really like the colors and overall look of this set so I'm willing to compromise and all for whatever will help us reach that MOQ and make them a reality. Just putting it out there.

Also, Pemdas, your keyboard looks awesome. Loving the colors.

Offline b4d_tR1p

« Reply #267 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 03:31:01 »
Awe yiss, submitted :)

+1 for black/black Japanese :rolleyes:

me too I'm in for the Japanese one :thumb:
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 June 2016, 06:46:08 by b4d_tR1p »

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCS/CC d-(--)>---x s:-(--)>--- a C++++(++++)>++ UBLC++++(+++)$>++ P++ L+++++(+++++)>+++++ E---(---)>--- W+++(+++)>+++ N+++ o++ K-- w O M++ !V- PS+++(+++)>+++ PE+++(+++)>+++ Y+++(+++)>+++ PGP++ t+ 5 X+ R tv- b++ DI++++ D+++ G++++ e+++ h- r++ y+++
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Offline PlastikSchnittstelle

« Reply #268 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 09:51:10 »
I would be in if there was an ISO-DE (german) kit.

Offline reggalicious

« Reply #269 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 12:45:41 »
Definitely interested.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #270 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 14:15:12 »
Who will manufacture? Tried to find info about and it is not specified in the OP. Says only that Originative will handle the logistics.

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #271 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 16:42:34 »
Who will manufacture? Tried to find info about and it is not specified in the OP. Says only that Originative will handle the logistics.

The manufacturer is MOD. They are working on the manufacturing of the keycaps and the dye-subbing process. So it's now possible to request new legends. I've been working on this for awhile, and I wanted to make more legends available to the community.

The keycaps are thick PBT. There are many option colors, but we will stick with the one for this group buy.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #272 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 01:00:15 »

The manufacturer is MOD. They are working on the manufacturing of the keycaps and the dye-subbing process. So it's now possible to request new legends. I've been working on this for awhile, and I wanted to make more legends available to the community.

The keycaps are thick PBT. There are many option colors, but we will stick with the one for this group buy.

Cool! Thank you for the info. So it is now possible to request SE, NO, DK, FI legends also?

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #273 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 11:32:05 »

Cool! Thank you for the info. So it is now possible to request SE, NO, DK, FI legends also?

Definitely possible, but the MOQ will be real high. The MOQ for Arabic and Japanese are currently at 200 each.

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #274 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 11:37:23 »
Definitely possible, but the MOQ will be real high. The MOQ for Arabic and Japanese are currently at 200 each.

200 each colorway or 200 each font?

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #275 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 11:45:15 »

each font/legend. each colorway is much lower. I'll definitely help out with the group buy to make sure we can reach it though.

Offline Sempre

« Reply #276 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 11:50:34 »
Wow that's a high moq. Still, i'd really like this so i could try out PBT dysubs other than gateron.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #277 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 11:57:11 »

each font/legend. each colorway is much lower. I'll definitely help out with the group buy to make sure we can reach it though.
Hmm, I doubt we'll reach MOQ even if we gather all Nordic GeekHackers.

I'll be down for US and Korean set either way. With a bit of preparation maybe we could accumulate enough high interest in Nordic set to reach MOQ, but that would be in a future GB. If there will be one... Its kind of hard this time of the year with all vacations coming up.

Offline joey

« Reply #278 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 12:09:45 »
Wow that's a high moq. Still, i'd really like this so i could try out PBT dysubs other than gateron.
I think these are still produced by Gateron.

Offline Sempre

« Reply #279 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 13:11:47 »
I think these are still produced by Gateron.

sherryton said the manufacturer is "Mod" a few posts above , or thats just the dyesubber

Offline Anole

« Reply #280 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 20:44:42 »
Who manufactures these, and who is doing the dyesubbing on these?

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #281 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 21:32:42 »
Who manufactures these, and who is doing the dyesubbing on these?

Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Anole

« Reply #282 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 18:18:49 »
Another question, if there is a mod-colored tilde key why isn't there a mod-colored forward slash key?

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #283 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 20:07:33 »
Another question, if there is a mod-colored tilde key why isn't there a mod-colored forward slash key?

I'm sure it will change in the final renders.

If not you could just use the mod colored backspace key :p

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #284 on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 17:32:37 »
Is it known when a preorder option will open up?

I definitely know what I want, and dont want to miss out.

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #285 on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 17:38:11 »
We got some samples for the Royal TA style on Cyrillic. We can have that option for other caps if people like :)

There's also some samples with the Black/Red Hangul, but people already know how those seem.

Offline Treadstone

« Reply #286 on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 18:59:20 »
I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for Black/Cyan Cyrillics that have non-colored legends  :thumb:

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #287 on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 19:10:30 »
We got some samples for the Royal TA style on Cyrillic. We can have that option for other caps if people like :)

There's also some samples with the Black/Red Hangul, but people already know how those seem.
Can you post some pictures of the samples (the Royal TA Cyrillic)?
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 June 2016, 01:05:08 by CommonCurt »
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Suruten

« Reply #288 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 09:43:07 »
I might be interested in the Japanese cyan purple (hyperfuse)

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #289 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 14:01:39 »

I'm hoping to get more samples of the renders from MOZ's mock ups!
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 June 2016, 14:15:47 by sherryton »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #290 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 14:24:23 »

Show Image

Hey! Are you the mystery vendor?!

Offline Bob

• Kaleidographer
« Reply #291 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 23:52:41 »

The bottom of the keys look nice and sharp and thick! Would you have any Hangul samples yet? Have the colours been decided?  ;D
TG3 BL82, Cherry MX clears
Access IS 15x8 matrix layout, Cherry MX blacks

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #292 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 09:11:45 »
In for some hangul and japanese dyesubs :thumb:

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #293 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 10:14:46 »
I really like the black and gold Arabic set, probably in for one :)
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Rhinofeed

• Formerly nathaniel_h
    • Rhinofeed
« Reply #294 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 17:34:42 »
The red and blue Hangul set looks especially good. I may even buy two.

Offline Willyc277

« Reply #295 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 05:22:16 »

Show Image

Very very interested in this set. Would really like an Irish dye-sub set, but Cyrillic in that colorway would be the next best thing IMO.

Also really digging the black/gold Arabic and black/red Japanese.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #296 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 05:31:47 »
Thanks guys! This should be up on Originative soon.

About the Irish set, we are considering it for R2, depending on how R1 goes.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #297 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 08:21:51 »

Define soon ;)

I do not believe interest will be high enough, but throwing it out there anyway. How about Polish and Icelandic?
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 June 2016, 08:26:42 by ctrlX »

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #298 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 16:44:36 »

Will they be up on originative for sale or pre-order

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #299 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 19:55:52 »

PURP CYAN JAPANESE CAPS HERE I COME!! :eek: