Author Topic: [IC] H1 Linear Switch by HHHH - In-Stock Sale Tomorrow  (Read 96544 times)

Offline nickaster1

Re: [IC] H1 Linear Switch by HHHH - Vendors Announced
« Reply #200 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 11:31:45 »
So the whole story essentially is just 43 got upset over HHHH saying how he came up with the idea first, but it was based on the mold of the supposed-came-about-later-on obsidian switches of 43. Is it just me losing track or there are some inconsistencies here?

So clearly, I was not fully aware of what was going on hear, and due to the language barrier, ocassional inaccuracies were spread.

Here's what I've learned after hearing from both parties:
43 thinks he had the idea first, gave screenshots from October.
HHHH shows he had the idea first, gave screenshots from August.
Based on that, logically speaking, the molds used for the H1 switch are NOT modified molds from the Obsidian switch. Additionally, the Obsidian switch has a logo while the H1 switch is unbranded. HHHH has reached out to JWK, and is pending a response.

At this point, I'm not even certain that the Obsidian switch and H1 uses the same molds, and I suspect I won't be certain until I can get my hands on some and compare side-by-side. I will keep everyone updated, but based on the information above, I think it's clear that HHHH had the idea for a modern take on vintage blacks before 43 did, and a litigation would be utterly pointless.
All of this just makes me want to try the switches more. Good to know

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #201 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 11:34:06 »
So the whole story essentially is just 43 got upset over HHHH saying how he came up with the idea first, but it was based on the mold of the supposed-came-about-later-on obsidian switches of 43. Is it just me losing track or there are some inconsistencies here?

So clearly, I was not fully aware of what was going on hear, and due to the language barrier, ocassional inaccuracies were spread.

Here's what I've learned after hearing from both parties:
43 thinks he had the idea first, gave screenshots from October.
HHHH shows he had the idea first, gave screenshots from August.
Based on that, logically speaking, the molds used for the H1 switch are NOT modified molds from the Obsidian switch. Additionally, the Obsidian switch has a logo while the H1 switch is unbranded. HHHH has reached out to JWK, and is pending a response.

At this point, I'm not even certain that the Obsidian switch and H1 uses the same molds, and I suspect I won't be certain until I can get my hands on some and compare side-by-side. I will keep everyone updated, but based on the information above, I think it's clear that HHHH had the idea for a modern take on vintage blacks before 43 did, and a litigation would be utterly pointless.
All of this just makes me want to try the switches more. Good to know
Haha. Right? Nothing like a little drama behind a switch.

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #202 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 13:15:52 »
Sweet, nice to hear Novelkeys will be the NA vendor. They are based in a state neighboring mine so I always get stuff super fast from them! As far as the drama goes, do we really need it over a two versions of an improved MX black? Not like anything about either switch is an original ideal & if they're using different molds they're different switches IMHO.

Offline Wolframme

« Reply #203 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 21:42:49 »
It doesn't matter who thought first or who made it. But I think that based on Cherry switch is not a monopoly.

Not sure if this is what he meant by monopoly, but its a good point that Cherry MX designed switches are not a monopoly anymore.

Threatening litigation towards someone for making another Cherry MX switch design isn't logical because the patent is out the window. Threatening litigation for a design that is not patented that is based on another design that had its patent expire is a little absurd.

Either way, I'll be looking forward to these switches.

Offline walie

« Reply #204 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 23:15:27 »
Looks to me JWK took both parties for a ride and gave them each a recoloured alpaca.

Offline keyberzerker

« Reply #205 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 04:33:46 »
Looks to me JWK took both parties for a ride and gave them each a recoloured alpaca.

^ this

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #206 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 06:20:36 »

Right on the nose on that one.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #207 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 07:05:37 »
I do love my alpacas.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 February 2020, 10:45:49 by Zeelobby »

Offline bobgr8

« Reply #208 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 08:09:40 »
Sounds right. I do love my alpacas.

Any idea when are they coming back in stock? Hopefully durock will start selling them on Aliexpress as well

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #209 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 08:20:53 »
Let's not jump to conclusions.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #210 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 08:38:35 »
I am team H1. The Obsidian guy probably would have left it as a exclusive China GB anyway. And pretty sad to see him trying to claim a colorway that Cherry made. Maybe Cherry should join this fight with there paper work and patents from 1984   ;D
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline self

« Reply #211 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 09:13:03 »
Interested!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Offline ThereminGoat

« Reply #212 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 10:42:05 »

I'd just like to point out that this is officially the dumbest comment in this entire thread and if anyone surpasses it, it is through sheer will of force.

First of all, Alpacas are Durock property and are only made at JWK. Neither the H1 nor Obsidians are made under Durock's sphere. Secondly, both of these switches feature different housing materials than each other as well as Alpacas. Third, Alpacas are not the first nor the flagship Durock product, so the fact that you (and several other people) are claiming that things are "Alpaca-clones" is wrong both in timeline and understanding. Fourth, both HHHH and 43 bought samples of these pieces from JWK prior to actually committing on them, ergo they clearly were aware these were not Alpaca switches. Fifth, this list is starting to get annoying. And finally (#6), 43 Studios has pointed out that he has custom engraving on his top housing that the Alpacas nor the HHHH's have.

Please, either try ****posting harder or learn about your switches more before you try and stir the pot.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #213 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 10:56:51 »

I'd just like to point out that this is officially the dumbest comment in this entire thread and if anyone surpasses it, it is through sheer will of force.

First of all, Alpacas are Durock property and are only made at JWK. Neither the H1 nor Obsidians are made under Durock's sphere. Secondly, both of these switches feature different housing materials than each other as well as Alpacas. Third, Alpacas are not the first nor the flagship Durock product, so the fact that you (and several other people) are claiming that things are "Alpaca-clones" is wrong both in timeline and understanding. Fourth, both HHHH and 43 bought samples of these pieces from JWK prior to actually committing on them, ergo they clearly were aware these were not Alpaca switches. Fifth, this list is starting to get annoying. And finally (#6), 43 Studios has pointed out that he has custom engraving on his top housing that the Alpacas nor the HHHH's have.

Please, either try ****posting harder or learn about your switches more before you try and stir the pot.
Sounds like this guy is a spy!

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #214 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 11:07:19 »
Interested

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #215 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 11:15:28 »

And y'all stay on topic. It's an interest check for an upcoming product, not a ****posting thread.

People, don't trash the thread with useless posts. We've heard from both parties involved in the "drama" (of which I don't see none) and it's just a new switch, made to be similar to a vintage MX Black. Nothing new or original. These are just plastic/metal pieces so there's no need to stir up a conspiracy theory about it.

On a side note:
Waiting on an official announcement when GB is happening as I'm interested in these as well.
Will be changing out the springs and probably doing switch films, lubing'em as well. Love the sound signature and the clean look!
Finally, no weird colour combos that are meant to match a keyset or smth...
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #216 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 11:20:47 »

And y'all stay on topic. It's an interest check for an upcoming product, not a ****posting thread.

People, don't trash the thread with useless posts. We've heard from both parties involved in the "drama" (of which I don't see none) and it's just a new switch, made to be similar to a vintage MX Black. Nothing new or original. These are just plastic/metal pieces so there's no need to stir up a conspiracy theory about it.

On a side note:
Waiting on an official announcement when GB is happening as I'm interested in these as well.
Will be changing out the springs and probably doing switch films, lubing'em as well. Love the sound signature and the clean look!
I mean to be fair, their drama kind of trashed the thread to start with. Very little info has been given outside of this drama. With a general statement of we're waiting. It was inevitable it'd head this route. Probably worth closing this thread til they sort it out, or stuff is ready to go (or at least closer).

Offline juaninamilli

« Reply #217 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 12:00:45 »
Two vendors bickering and pointing fingers like children is pretty off-putting. Makes me have less interest in this interest check.

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #218 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 12:43:30 »

On a side note:
I mean to be fair, their drama kind of trashed the thread to start with. Very little info has been given outside of this drama. With a general statement of we're waiting. It was inevitable it'd head this route. Probably worth closing this thread til they sort it out, or stuff is ready to go (or at least closer).
Not sure what other info you're looking for, the point of this thread is to ask questions and nearly every one has been answered.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #219 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 13:17:41 »

On a side note:
Not sure what other info you're looking for, the point of this thread is to ask questions and nearly every one has been answered.
Right. Just meant it's been massively overshadowed by all kinds of claims. Some unanswered.

Don't get me wrong. I'm def still interested. But the thread is a mess.

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #220 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 13:23:24 »
Two vendors bickering and pointing fingers like children is pretty off-putting. Makes me have less interest in this interest check.

On a side note:
Right. Just meant it's been massively overshadowed by all kinds of claims. Some unanswered.

For those of you who want a summarization of the drama, this writeup by ThereminGoat is pretty damn good.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/19vudiIkgDdTeVF2jK9Oti5nZNMMFFrQ3/view

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #221 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 13:24:34 »

On a side note:

For those of you who want a summarization of the drama, this writeup by ThereminGoat is pretty damn good.
Thanks! Will give it a read.

Offline Nevermore012

« Reply #222 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 22:11:14 »

On a side note:

nice, I am ready for the GB.

Offline nickaster1

« Reply #223 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 22:25:22 »

On a side note:

Apart from the throwing shades at each other, this hectic of a thread successfully gave each team some massive hype for their switches. Good or bad, the switches are going to be sought after from here on out. Good marketing it is

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #224 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 22:26:06 »

On a side note:

Apart from the throwing shades at each other, this hectic of a thread successfully gave each team some massive hype for their switches. Good or bad, the switches are going to be sought after from here on out. Good marketing it is
Wait til they televise the knife fight!

Offline juaninamilli

[IC] H1 Linear Switch by HHHH - Vendors Announced
« Reply #225 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 22:37:23 »

On a side note:

TBH... at the end of all this “marketing” is a company profiting off of the community. A company who blatantly copied another manufacturer’s product and even went as far as to put the other company’s logo on it. I’m not telling people how to spend their money, but this drama reminded me of all that... and regardless of how good the switch is... they won’t be getting any of my money.

Offline goddream

« Reply #226 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 01:05:31 »
Is there actually any drama here? It looks to me that this is all just a misunderstanding arising from misinterpretations and poor translations.

From what I can see from HHHH's posts, he was trying to clear the air that there is also a concurrently running switch (Obsidian Switches), of a very similar nature - he wanted to preempt any sort of 'clone' accusation, by saying that yes there is a also a vint remake being run in china, but his is not a clone of 43 studios as he actually 'came up with the idea first', and they also use different molds.

Am i crazy? Is this not the reality of the situation? He even comes out and says 'I never meant to blame you', amd 'I just wanted to say I  didn't steal this idea'.

smh you guys
Rei XT-60 | Endash | KHDD | Jinsoul | Tengu | PC Dolphin | Nunu | Hyphen | Mc65 | Unikorn | Dahyun | CARDBORD

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #227 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 02:47:41 »

On a side note:

TBH... at the end of all this “marketing” is a company profiting off of the community. A company who blatantly copied another manufacturer’s product and even went as far as to put the other company’s logo on it. I’m not telling people how to spend their money, but this drama reminded me of all that... and regardless of how good the switch is... they won’t be getting any of my money.
It's ridiculous how you are butthurt over a possible misunderstanding. They are not original switches anyway, they are trying to mimick a switch.

Offline nickaster1

« Reply #228 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 03:08:56 »

On a side note:

It's ridiculous how you are butthurt over a possible misunderstanding. They are not original switches anyway, they are trying to mimick a switch.

Since Cherry’s patent expired quite some time ago, his comment just shows that he doesn’t understand how a free market function

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #229 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 03:16:59 »

On a side note:

Since Cherry’s patent expired quite some time ago, his comment just shows that he doesn’t understand how a free market function
Yeah, he is just being silly.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #230 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 03:19:39 »
Is there actually any drama here? It looks to me that this is all just a misunderstanding arising from misinterpretations and poor translations.

From what I can see from HHHH's posts, he was trying to clear the air that there is also a concurrently running switch (Obsidian Switches), of a very similar nature - he wanted to preempt any sort of 'clone' accusation, by saying that yes there is a also a vint remake being run in china, but his is not a clone of 43 studios as he actually 'came up with the idea first', and they also use different molds.

Am i crazy? Is this not the reality of the situation? He even comes out and says 'I never meant to blame you', amd 'I just wanted to say I  didn't steal this idea'.

smh you guys
Right. From what it sounds like, the other guy thinks hhhh did steal his idea and it is a clone of his. Or just that he thinks thats what hhhh is saying to people. But yes, it's all rather silly.

Offline 43studio

• none
« Reply #231 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 03:30:44 »
I responded positively because HHHH said this in the post. ‘HHHH wanted me to clarify this: in China, there is a very similar switch being produced that is essentially a clone of the H1. HHHH created this switch first, and he wanted to make this clear to avoid any confusion. ’

And what I want to express is: black is a very common color, there is no plagiarism, there is no I plagiarize you or you plagiarize me, but you say Obsidian plagiarizes H1.

I also found JWk these days. The official reply given there is: Obsidian and H1 are two different products. There is no plagiarism. It happens that the color is the same.

It should have been a misunderstanding. I apologized for the extreme words before. My English is not good, so there are some misunderstandings in some places. I apologize again for that. I hope you can get rid of that sentence. ‘HHHH wanted me to clarify this: in China, there is a very similar switch being produced that is essentially a clone of the H1. HHHH created this switch first, and he wanted to make this clear to avoid any confusion. ’

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #232 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 03:38:00 »
Yeah. So really not as much drama both just clarifying that they developed switches independently while being slightly concerned that the other might be saying plagiarism might have occured (even though by both accounts it didn't).

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #233 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 03:46:05 »
I responded positively because HHHH said this in the post. ‘HHHH wanted me to clarify this: in China, there is a very similar switch being produced that is essentially a clone of the H1. HHHH created this switch first, and he wanted to make this clear to avoid any confusion. ’

And what I want to express is: black is a very common color, there is no plagiarism, there is no I plagiarize you or you plagiarize me, but you say Obsidian plagiarizes H1.

I also found JWk these days. The official reply given there is: Obsidian and H1 are two different products. There is no plagiarism. It happens that the color is the same.

It should have been a misunderstanding. I apologized for the extreme words before. My English is not good, so there are some misunderstandings in some places. I apologize again for that. I hope you can get rid of that sentence. ‘HHHH wanted me to clarify this: in China, there is a very similar switch being produced that is essentially a clone of the H1. HHHH created this switch first, and he wanted to make this clear to avoid any confusion. ’
Yes, we understand. It's all just a big misunderstanding at this point. Would love to get your switches outside China too!

Offline juaninamilli

« Reply #234 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 07:18:49 »

On a side note:

Haha. I can to spend my money however I’d like. I’m not butt hurt. How exactly does it affect you, if I choose not to give my money to a company that made fake zeal switches?

Offline juaninamilli

« Reply #235 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 07:22:09 »

On a side note:

Not talking about cherry. Look up stealios. I’m perfectly aware of the expired cherry patent and free market.

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #236 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 07:35:44 »

On a side note:

Not talking about cherry. Look up stealios. I’m perfectly aware of the expired cherry patent and free market.
I am perfectly aware of stealios. That's different, they were knockoffs, this on the other hand is a different case.

Offline juaninamilli

« Reply #237 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 07:40:50 »

On a side note:

I am perfectly aware of stealios. That's different, they were knockoffs, this on the other hand is a different case.

If you’re not going to bother reading my original statement properly... please stop replying to it.

Offline chits

« Reply #238 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 08:25:55 »
just wanted to post and not quote anything.

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #239 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 14:57:46 »

On a side note:

If you’re not going to bother reading my original statement properly... please stop replying to it.

Don't mind me. I'm just here to keep the quote train going.

Offline Ahngel

« Reply #240 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 15:03:52 »
Nice. An all black alpaca clone. I've been waiting for a ninja switch.  Wish we could try those obsidians since they are a custom mold and are different but alpacas are great switches and the new standard for linears.   Just price them like all the other clones! $.55!

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #241 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 15:09:59 »
Nice. An all black alpaca clone. I've been waiting for a ninja switch.  Wish we could try those obsidians since they are a custom mold and are different but alpacas are great switches and the new standard for linears.   Just price them like all the other clones! $.55!
PSA: this isn't a recolored alpaca.

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #242 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 15:30:56 »
PSA: this isn't a recolored alpaca.
Yes, we are aware. Guess he couldn't even read through the interest check.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #243 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 16:12:48 »
Haha. This thread

Offline delrn

« Reply #244 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 16:26:08 »
Haha. This thread
It’s even more of a trainwreck than the Olivia++ one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #245 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 16:27:52 »
is there an eta on production being finished / shipping?
Hoarder Collector and designer

Classifieds

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #246 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 17:06:47 »
The production and shipping will happen after the group buy

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #247 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 17:14:23 »
The production and shipping will happen after the group buy

ah, for whatever reason I thought they were in production already.
Hoarder Collector and designer

Classifieds

Offline cryworm

« Reply #248 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 17:44:47 »

I understand that these H1 switches aren't really Alpaca CLONES because they are not made from the exact same molds and because Durock is not involved in the making of them. But my question is: how exactly do they differ? Alpacas are also nylon bottom, PolyCarb top, and POM stems made by JWK. This is in direct contradiction to your second point stating that the materials between the two are different. It seems the differences between the H1s and Alpacas is the "thicker" top housing (which is very intriguing to me) and spring weight. Is there any other big differentiation between the two?

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #249 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 17:57:23 »

I understand that these H1 switches aren't really Alpaca CLONES because they are not made from the exact same molds and because Durock is not involved in the making of them. But my question is: how exactly do they differ? Alpacas are also nylon bottom, PolyCarb top, and POM stems made by JWK. This is in direct contradiction to your second point stating that the materials between the two are different. It seems the differences between the H1s and Alpacas is the "thicker" top housing (which is very intriguing to me) and spring weight. Is there any other big differentiation between the two?
H1s are polyamide bottom. Not exactly nylon