Author Topic: What is the most useful piece of tech you have purchased lately (or ever)?  (Read 72747 times)

Offline Kerpadge

I recently picked up a USB drive with both a Type A and Micro connectors (one on each end). I've been getting way more use out of it than I thought I would. That's got me wondering, what useful tech have you purchased that you now can't live without?

Offline thatsmrdoctortoyou

• Dingo babies
    • IG
Re: What is the most useful piece of tech you have purchased lately (or ever)?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 17:59:14 »
Great topic! I am absolutely in love with my Bluetooth headphones. They really weren't too expensive, and they make all the difference in the gym. Not having to worry the damn cord getting caught on equipment makes the $80 seem like nothing :thumb:

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 18:00:23 »
I think we've been through this, but I'll say it again...

SSD
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 18:05:54 »
Smartphone with GPS antenna.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline Kerpadge

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 18:11:04 »
Great topic! I am absolutely in love with my Bluetooth headphones. They really weren't too expensive, and they make all the difference in the gym. Not having to worry the damn cord getting caught on equipment makes the $80 seem like nothing :thumb:

I really wanted to pick up a pair of Bluetooth headphones when I was shopping for a pair in the Spring. I found it difficult to find a really nice pair that allowed for either Bluetooth or a cord depending on what I was doing. Sennheiser has a pair, but they're around $500 last time I checked. What kind do you have? How is the sound?

Offline raymogi

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 18:12:34 »
Most useful recent purchase is hasu's BT mod for the HHKB.

Makes it SO MUCH easier to take it everywhere I go. Both work and travel.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline Kerpadge

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 18:13:51 »

SSD

This really is the truth. I've been trying to resist the urge to buy a second one, since the 240gb drive I bought didn't last a week before I filled it up.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 18:13:58 »
A phone.
I don't know why this wouldn't be on someone's list of top purchases.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 18:14:11 »
A samsung quick charger, now I don't have to be afraid if I forgot to charge my phone at night
since it now can only take 15 minutes to fully half charged my phone :)
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline Kerpadge

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 18:16:59 »
Smartphone with GPS antenna.

I really wish phones had integrated GPS when I was first learning to drive. I missed it by just a few years. Paper maps and drawing out routes for long drives was a pain.

Offline Kerpadge

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 18:19:11 »

How long does the battery on that usually last? I imagine the mobility is nice, but only if you don't have to charge it multiple times a day.

Offline raymogi

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 18:20:07 »

How long does the battery on that usually last? I imagine the mobility is nice, but only if you don't have to charge it multiple times a day.

Supposedly around 10 hours but I have yet to test it myself.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline faycheung

• Noob
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 18:50:26 »
I only touch my phone every 3 months...

My most useful piece of tech was gifted to me. It was a Kindle Touch that I've been using almost everyday for the past 4, 5 years? Fantastic little thing.

Offline Kerpadge

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 19:02:22 »

Supposedly around 10 hours but I have yet to test it myself.

Wow, that sounds like it'd be worth it. I'll keep it in mind if I ever get a HHKB.

Offline Kerpadge

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 19:03:42 »
A samsung quick charger, now I don't have to be afraid if I forgot to charge my phone at night

I love having this feature too. I also have a portable battery pack for when I'm traveling or at conventions and don't want to be tethered to a wall.

Offline di3gopa

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 19:11:28 »

SSD

+1 sir

They improve the computer a lot compared to CPU or RAM upgraes
Happy owner of a POK3R

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 19:42:28 »
This is true. I couldn't believe how much faster it is.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline thatsmrdoctortoyou

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 20:46:48 »

I really wanted to pick up a pair of Bluetooth headphones when I was shopping for a pair in the Spring. I found it difficult to find a really nice pair that allowed for either Bluetooth or a cord depending on what I was doing. Sennheiser has a pair, but they're around $500 last time I checked. What kind do you have? How is the sound?

I went through many pairs of BT headphones before I found a pair that were light enough to stay in my ears while running. Plantronics BackBeat GO2. The sound is pretty good if you consider the fact that on a full charge they will play 3/4 volume for over 3 hours!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 20:49:58 »
My computer.
Does that count?

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 08:28:59 »
Honestly, a good looking analog watch with chronograph. I can still time workouts on it while watching others run. I can wear it to a nice dinner or business meeting. And it's always there so I can check the time, as being punctual is important to me.

Current wearing a Casio EF503D-1AV. Nothing super fancy, but it gets the job done and looks good doing it. It also plays homage to my favorite watch of all time. I wear it on a leather one-piece strap though.

For a long time, my Garmin Forerunner 610 was my useful tech. It kept the team running honest for pace and mileage. We could also make up new running routes and know how far we ran instead of just guesstimating. The 610 doesn't look as good in the office or at a meeting though....

Leopold FC660m  CM Stealth TKL

WTB: ^^ (O-Zone Bro V2), Drunk Skull, Oktoberfest, Laser/Poison/Woodland HKPs, G1 HKP Gas Masks
MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 14:26:03 »

Yep, I didn't realize how terrible corded headphones were until I bought my bluetooths, specifically for the gym and traveling. Night and day.

One thing that totally changed my room setup has been my audio mixer, allows me to mix inputs from my computer, TV, turntable and phone and have it output over my receiver. Perfect for me, and great for controlling volume while gaming.

Offline fliptrik

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 14:41:42 »
Outlet covers that include USB ports on them. There was a sale on Amazon a while back so I snagged 5 or 6 of them. Now I have USB ports for charging devices everywhere in the living room and kitchen so guests aren't unplugging lamps and stuff trying to charge their phones.

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 14:45:24 »
an aeropress :blank:
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline ddot

• Master of Suspense
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 15:07:29 »
As for a gadget that I've bought, probably my car GPS.  In addition to getting you out of tight spots when you make a wrong turn or have to take a detour or something, I find it really helps even when you sort of know where you're going.  Rather than having to pay attention to street signs as much, you can just glance at the GPS and know if it's time to turn or whatever.  I find it helps me keep my eyes on the road more.

If you broaden that question to include software and it doesn't have to be purchased, then hands down it's Virtualbox (or more broadly any virtualization software).  The ability to try any OS or any application you come across without having to mess around with test systems to be concerned with messing up your production system or accumulating Windows rot is incredibly liberating.  Want to take that new Linux distro for a spin?  Or maybe you need a particular application for a one off use but don't really want to install Java or something on your main system.  Or maybe you need to test out that new version of an app before your overwrite the old one.  Virtualization to the rescue every time.  Personally, I think it's been my biggest geeky discovery in the past several years (along with mechanical keyboards :p).

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 16:54:05 »

+1

I also would say I get more than average use out of my thermal printer.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 17:01:12 »
Datavac is pretty good. Much better constructed than I thought it would be, and very powerful. Good purchase, worth the $55 for sure.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 17:54:25 »
Datavac is pretty good. Much better constructed than I thought it would be, and very powerful. Good purchase, worth the $55 for sure.

The hand held one? We can't get them in the UK :( I really want one :(
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 17:57:55 »

Wow, seriously? It's definitely not a voltage issue because they make a Euro model as well (although it is $30 more than the American one:)   
http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Datavac-Elctrcduster-500W-European/dp/B003BZCOKK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1446245797&sr=8-5&keywords=datavac

side note - when using colons or semicolons the parentheses still goes on the outside, correct? My mind is conditioned to see it as a smiley face, so it looks wrong.
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 October 2015, 17:59:34 by noisyturtle »

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 18:10:45 »

Wow, seriously? It's definitely not a voltage issue because they make a Euro model as well (although it is $30 more than the American one:)   
http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Datavac-Elctrcduster-500W-European/dp/B003BZCOKK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1446245797&sr=8-5&keywords=datavac

side note - when using colons or semicolons the parentheses still goes on the outside, correct? My mind is conditioned to see it as a smiley face, so it looks wrong.

I think it does go outside, like with full stops. But yeahhh, we use 240V in the UK, but I guess I could get a converter. That one you linked doesn't ship to the UK from there anyway, which is part of the trouble I've been having.

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 18:17:06 »

I think it does go outside, like with full stops. But yeahhh, we use 240V in the UK, but I guess I could get a converter. That one you linked doesn't ship to the UK from there anyway, which is part of the trouble I've been having.
Shouldn't matter if its a 230v one as we are the EU as a whole was meant to be harmonised? to 230v including us a few years back, I was looking into them before but they just cost too much to ship not worth £75 as of my time of looking :X
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 19:38:04 »
I put off buying one for years because the name made me think it was a vacuum not a blower. Finally I broke down and bought it anyway because of the positive reviews. When I first plugged it in and turned it on I was amazed and very happy.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 19:43:50 »
I put off buying one for years because the name made me think it was a vacuum not a blower. Finally I broke down and bought it anyway because of the positive reviews. When I first plugged it in and turned it on I was amazed and very happy.

Oh wait, it's a blower? Damn. I thought it was a vacuum. :( I will just keep using compressed air then I guess.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 19:53:14 »
Oh wait, it's a blower? Damn. I thought it was a vacuum. :( I will just keep using compressed air then I guess.

You will save so much money and it works so much better. The cord is long enough I use it in lieu of a duster around my apartment, and for annual cleaning of the computer. Not just for keyboards at all.
I usually don't gush on products, but it paid for itself in about 4 months easy, and it was much sturdier than I'd anticipated. 

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 19:59:30 »

You will save so much money and it works so much better. The cord is long enough I use it in lieu of a duster around my apartment, and for annual cleaning of the computer. Not just for keyboards at all.
I usually don't gush on products, but it paid for itself in about 4 months easy, and it was much sturdier than I'd anticipated.
It's better than canned air for everything but huffing!

My boards:
More

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 22:40:37 »
I think the most useful was the ATEQ VT30.  Using it, I was the first in the world to figure out how to reprogram the TPMS sensors in the Suzuki Kizashi without the dealership. 

Now everyone can do it because I discovered a trick while reading the FCC documents on the sensors that allows you to trigger the sensors even without a TPMS tool.  And everything I learned I posted online.  TPMS for everyone for free!  And it's actually even faster than with the dealership tool, lol.

Offline Rodgaroon

• Size matters, just ask my wife.
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 01:31:03 »
iPhone 6s 64GB. God it by far the fastest phone out there. If only the batter was a bit better.
G6v2 (MX Black) | Poker II (MX Brown) | Compact SQ (MX Clears 62g)

Offline Coreda

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 02:54:27 »

So long as people remember to block the fans inside the case when using it. No one mentioned this before I bought mine and thankfully someone here did shortly after I posted about it. Can ruin fan bearings due to the high RPM caused by the power of the blower, which is why I now use a thin bamboo stick to prevent the fan from moving during operation.

Offline RenegadeParadox

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 20:05:12 »
Just bought a Hakko 888D for my 1st project board (super looking forward to it) and I already have about 4 other jobs that require it so it's going to be VERY useful in the next few weeks.

Offline Kerpadge

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 22:39:42 »

I'm so happy that I stumbled upon the aeropress earlier this year. I like strong, fully flavored coffee, and this thing delivers every time.

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 09:47:07 »
Lately? Probably Hasu's BT enabled HHKB controller. Just waiting on new battery to show up for it right now so I can start using it with my Surface. Also bought a Miracast receiver, which will be useful in the near future, but I have only plugged in to make sure it works right now.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline MeltingTeeth

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 14:43:23 »
Just got a Vizio 5.1 sound bar - big improvement over built in speakers.

Offline keyboardia1

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 14:51:25 »
I've bought a cheap USB light. When i put it in my macbook air and close it, i can put the book i'm reading on it and use it as reading light.

Offline shibataken

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 13:13:22 »
Powerline Adapters to get a hardline connection to my ps4 in the living room :D

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 13:49:37 »
Honestly, a good looking analog watch with chronograph. I can still time workouts on it while watching others run. I can wear it to a nice dinner or business meeting. And it's always there so I can check the time, as being punctual is important to me.

Current wearing a Casio EF503D-1AV. Nothing super fancy, but it gets the job done and looks good doing it. It also plays homage to my favorite watch of all time. I wear it on a leather one-piece strap though.

For a long time, my Garmin Forerunner 610 was my useful tech. It kept the team running honest for pace and mileage. We could also make up new running routes and know how far we ran instead of just guesstimating. The 610 doesn't look as good in the office or at a meeting though....

LOL That second sentence gave me a laugh until, upon reading through your third paragraph, I realized it wasn't a joke; you're actually timing runners because you're a coach or similar. I was picturing Bubbles eating a doughnut while lazily lounging on a park bench, timing random joggers as they ran past.

You are correct--a nice watch makes the man. I am a casual collector of time-pieces, from German cuckoo clocks to calculator watches to metronomes.

Time keeps on slippin' slippin' slippin' into the future.
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 12:03:15 »
116999-0
I didn't know that I needed a Pebble smartwatch until I was gifted with one last week  :)
It's limited in its usefullness but It's a nifty little gadget and a conversation starter. Now I can keep my iphone in my pocket while driving and control Pandora music stream via my watch! Who woulda thought?
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 12:40:26 »
(Attachment Link)
I didn't know that I needed a Pebble smartwatch until I was gifted with one last week  :)
It's limited in its usefullness but It's a nifty little gadget and a conversation starter. Now I can keep my iphone in my pocket while driving and control Pandora music stream via my watch! Who woulda thought?

Are those key caps under your watch pad printed ones?

Offline Morning19

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 13:05:08 »
Any sort of cable extender that allows me to not have to plug things in and out of the back of my computer and allows me to do it on my desktop.

Offline Infrared

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 13:17:04 »
My brand new pc is the most useful thing I have ever purchased.
White Fc660c