Author Topic: Does it bother anyone else when your keycaps get dirty?  (Read 49506 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Does it bother anyone else when your keycaps get dirty?
« on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 07:10:10 »

I don't even want to type on them.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 October 2015, 07:15:58 by SpAmRaY »

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
Re: Does it bother anyone else when your keycaps get dirty?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 07:18:20 »
It bothers me a lot, I pretty much stopped using my cherry dyesubs because of it. I was cleaning my hands hourly when typing on them and still felt like I was "ruinning" them. I feel better typing on less rare keysets.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline raymogi

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 07:18:53 »
Hell yeah. I tried to clean them with microfibers while I'm putting them on. And anytime I see some dirt on it while I'm not typing I always try to blow it away with air compressor.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 08:07:17 »
Yes, but SA profile doubleshots don't get dirty.  :D  :thumb:

My blank white Keycool PBT's on my DIY board do, though, and it's depressing (also my Model M dyesubs, but slower). It's a combination of the material and texture. Every few months or so I have to take them off and wash them.

The solution is smooth ABS caps :)
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 08:43:31 »
Who wouldn't be bothered! I semi constantly clean my blank white caps on my HHKB. The boards looks so good when they clean and so grimy when they not :( Any one got any tips for quick cleaning? I took them all off the other day and thoroughly cleaned them with a toothbrush and some clean green and water and they were looking grimy again within a week  :'( I use it all day at work so makes sense but still...

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 09:11:45 »
It bothers me a lot, I pretty much stopped using my cherry dyesubs because of it. I was cleaning my hands hourly when typing on them and still felt like I was "ruinning" them. I feel better typing on less rare keysets.

Do they get dirty that easily? >.< but I agree, if I had a set of caps like that I would be much more careful...

Offline btctopre

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 09:46:13 »
ya'll are some savages.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 10:30:00 »
I'd take a picture of my Filco w/ reds cause that's a NASTY board

but most of my other boards are pretty clean
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 10:33:54 »
Throw them out and buy new ones, ffs.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 10:35:02 »
Throw them out and buy new ones, ffs.

gmk is expensive tho
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 11:13:42 »
My only dream in life has ever been to have a fresh pair of socks for every day of my life. I know it is extremely wasteful, but damn does it feel good.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 11:16:18 »
My only dream in life has ever been to have a fresh pair of socks for every day of my life. I know it is extremely wasteful, but damn does it feel good.

Your avatar has no socks.  LIAR
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 13:03:25 »
I have to wipe every spot/dirt on every keycap make sure they're 100% clean, cos I love them all  :D

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 13:08:12 »
Yeah i just recently got white pbt again and forgot how dirty they get. sometimes I get blood on my caps which is annoying (bad habit biting fingers)
I love Elzy

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 13:16:19 »
Yes, I hate when they get dirty, that's why I hate "Classic Beige" so much amd bright coloured caps in general.
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline Huxley2500

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 14:45:36 »
Use hand sanitizer.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 15:15:10 »
So long as I can't feel the dirt when I type, it doesn't bother me one bit.

My hands are rarely clean enough for some of you beat freaks.  With my job, I can come home from work, wash my hands with fast orange, shower every day, do the dishes every other day, and they will still be dirty for 4 or 5 days depending on the job.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline osi

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 15:15:48 »
I like to clean my caps once every 6 months at least

Offline Incredigasmic

• Orange is Love. Orange is Life.
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 15:18:11 »
I never noticed how quickly caps got dirty until I started using white caps on my Ducky Shine 3. The OCD I get when seeing dirt or a hair is ridiculous.
"If I married my 6th grade gf I'd be white trash...7th grade I'd be alright" ~ Binge

"Incredi is the foremost master of all things orange" ~ BroCaps

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 20:58:47 »
I don't tend to notice as it's a gradual process.

When they get too dirty, I just swap them out and/or soak them in denture tabs for a while.

Plus I tend to notice layers of dust over everything in general first.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Incredigasmic

• Orange is Love. Orange is Life.
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 21:15:15 »
Dust drives me crazy too. The worst is the shine from your finger oils on grey caps. Hackd by Geeks is a prime example of this. :/ I dry my hands out washing them so much to prevent it.
"If I married my 6th grade gf I'd be white trash...7th grade I'd be alright" ~ Binge

"Incredi is the foremost master of all things orange" ~ BroCaps

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 01:38:00 »
Not really. it happens over time so the gradiated dirt buildup is imperceptible unless you actually wash your keys.
I swear my Dolch set is about 2 shades darker than when I first put them on.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 21:12:26 »
I started just typing on dirty boards, so they look cleaner as the dirt wears off!  :))

I guess if dirt is getting really bad, one could wear latex/nitrile gloves before typing.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 21:30:02 »
Yes, but SA profile doubleshots don't get dirty.  :D :thumb:

My blank white Keycool PBT's on my DIY board do, though, and it's depressing (also my Model M dyesubs, but slower). It's a combination of the material and texture. Every few months or so I have to take them off and wash them.

The solution is smooth ABS caps :)

+1, Texture and material make a set almost maintenance free, in my experience, OG ABS DS Cherry makes the best self cleaning typing surface. PBT seems to be a dirt magnet, it is worst if it has a rough finish.

Offline Terbografx

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 08:01:14 »
Hell yeah. I tried to clean them with microfibers while I'm putting them on. And anytime I see some dirt on it while I'm not typing I always try to blow it away with air compressor.

Me....all the time.

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 18:15:16 »
Denture tab cleanser will get those dirty suckers shiny once again.
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 18:47:17 »
Since I don't look at my keyboard, I typically don't notice until a 'u' of dirt shows up on the keys. Then I either spend all day scraping it off (laptop keyboard), or pop the keys off to soak for a bit. It doesn't bother me until I can notice it though, at which point I can't stop noticing it.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 23:20:18 »
Denture tab cleanser will get those dirty suckers shiny once again.
Is this the best method to use? 

The one time I've cleaned our original M, we took off the keycaps and just used toothpaste and a toothbrush followed by a nice rinse and then towel dry.  I think this was paste without all the harsh stuff in it like today though--it was at least 20 years ago.

Offline Bigpock

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 23:26:01 »
I have a set of PBT keycaps that need a wash but im really scared if I wash them ill ruin them, any tips?  :-X

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 23:28:17 »
I have a set of PBT keycaps that need a wash but im really scared if I wash them ill ruin them, any tips?  :-X

Why do you think a wash may ruin PBT stuff?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 00:08:33 »

Soak them in denture tabs for a while.  Doesn't harm them at all, and they come out smelling minty fresh :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 00:09:19 »

Soak them in denture tabs for a while.  Doesn't harm them at all, and they come out smelling minty fresh :)

I use an ultrasonic cleaner, but denture tabs are awesome too.

Offline Jhonan

• Chicks love duck pics...
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 16:24:45 »
I hate the anti-microbial finish on my Tai-Haos as they aren't really dirty, but as the finish wears off the pbt it almost causes a grimy look, need to soak em in alcohol and scrub em clean of the crap lol

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 16:52:23 »
I hate the anti-microbial finish on my Tai-Haos as they aren't really dirty, but as the finish wears off the pbt it almost causes a grimy look, need to soak em in alcohol and scrub em clean of the crap lol

eww! Thank for sharing bro, if someone has wondered what about that finishing this information may help making his mind about it.

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 17:15:05 »

I have some Tai Hao caps too and I scratched that layer off when I accidently thought the cap was dirty (go figure).

Anyone know how to get rid of the scratch marks?
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline Jhonan

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 17:32:58 »

I have some Tai Hao caps too and I scratched that layer off when I accidently thought the cap was dirty (go figure).

Anyone know how to get rid of the scratch marks?

It won't get rid of the scratch marks, but it will get rid of the coating entirely https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/3ik3jz/guide_how_to_remove_taihaos_nano_antibiosis/

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 19:08:35 »
omg, they put that stuff on keycaps too?  Ferrari and Porsche interior are notorious for that stuff flaking off after a couple of years, but this is on the dash where you're not mashing on it day after day.

Offline CaplockJack

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 19:17:35 »
I just wipe down periodically.

Offline Jhonan

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 19:19:23 »
omg, they put that stuff on keycaps too?  Ferrari and Porsche interior are notorious for that stuff flaking off after a couple of years, but this is on the dash where you're not mashing on it day after day.
Surprisingly, the parts of my keys where it has worn off from look brighter by comparison to the keys that aren't used as frequently, so apparently it dulls the colors slightly, that or my fingers are just making the finish grimy and the pbt underneath is more resistant to the effect.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 19:32:59 »
I have a tendency of resting my right thumb against the space bar sometimes - just took off my caps for cleaning today and wasn't expecting this....

Edit: I'm so sorry GMK  :'( :'( :'(

Warning: nsfl

« Last Edit: Sun, 25 October 2015, 19:37:44 by swimmingbird »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 19:47:58 »
I have a tendency of resting my right thumb against the space bar sometimes - just took off my caps for cleaning today and wasn't expecting this....

What is that? It seems like some sort of residue, where do you use your keyboard at?

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 19:48:44 »

What is that? It seems like some sort of residue, where do you use your keyboard at?

Dead skin from my thumb rubbing against the front bottom edge of the spacebar

Offline bjb39

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 19:49:58 »
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like PBT gets dirtier faster than ABS.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 19:50:37 »

No way, that is so gross. When was the last time you took that bar off its place?

Offline Pdub

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 19:51:13 »

O.O this is a great idea.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 19:52:24 »

No way, that is so gross. When was the last time you took that bar off its place?

Yeah I know right

Been using this board for the past 2 months or so alternating with HHKB - not a problem on the HHKB as it doesn't have the floating key style that the Gon does

Offline Jhonan

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 19:56:27 »

That is horrifying...
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 October 2015, 20:00:09 by Jhonan »

Offline thatsmrdoctortoyou

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 19:59:20 »
Absolutely it does! Especially when you have keycaps that are lighter in color, or that have bright colors which show the dirt quicker. I typically wash my keycap sets every month or so. It gives my other sets some time on the board anyway  :thumb:

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 20:10:35 »

Offline Kola93

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 21:20:47 »
Wear and tear on keycaps are pretty normal, but having visible dirt just means that you should wipe it more. :thumb:

Nothing like proactive dirty keyboard prevention! ^-^