Author Topic: Spray painting brass?  (Read 2946 times)

Offline noteveneric

Spray painting brass?
« on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 08:57:54 »
Does anyone have experience spray painting / airbrushing brass plates or cases for builds? I've been thinking about somehow painting a brass case rose gold. Would standard brass painting procedures apply? How does it hold up over time with caps bottoming out on it? Thanks.
dz65rgb (tester board) | handwired slightly altered m60a layout that I can't cleverly name | CFTKB romeo | working on watermelon themed keycaps

Offline Findecanor

Re: Spray painting brass?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 09:16:21 »
Keycaps shouldn't ever touch the plate, no matter what type of keycap or how wiggly the switch is. Don't worry about that.

However, paint is likely to rub off right in the hole when inserting/pulling switches. Unless you use transparent switches,   those marks should be hidden by a small lip around the edge of the switch so nobody will see them.

Offline noteveneric

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 09:35:29 »
Ah yeah I wasn't thinking. Early morning. You probably wouldn't see the scratches underneath the switches even if they're transparent though, because the caps should cover it, yeah? It'd only be noticeable if you looked for it I think.
dz65rgb (tester board) | handwired slightly altered m60a layout that I can't cleverly name | CFTKB romeo | working on watermelon themed keycaps

Offline 4sStylZ

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 10:08:26 »
I actually paint my plate, that’s not brass but OEM ASK / AEK plate for Alps switch.

I use Montana 94 paint, varnish and primer (MTN94).

0. I drill the hole that I need on the plate.
1. I sand them and HEEEELL THIS IS LONG AND HARD.
2. I use a metal primer.
3. I paint them with… 2 coat at least.
4. Varnish.
5. Go to 1. because I have some digital finger print mark on it.
6. Let dry many days.

At the end, the result is solid. If I plug switch one or two time I didn’t have scratch.
Bépo user here : AEK64 White linear dampened, XD75 Cherry Blue Jailhoused, TypeMatrix2030 black skin, Lenovo 0B47200 w/ trackpoint, G13, G512. Kensington Expert Trackball & Orbit, Magic touchpad 2.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 10:11:12 »
MTN94 or Montana Gold. 4stylz knows his ****.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline noteveneric

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 11:10:14 »
What's the closest Montana color to rose gold? I looked around the website but couldn't find the metalic pink-ish I was looking for. I'm looking for something along the lines of this:

« Last Edit: Mon, 24 February 2020, 11:51:05 by noteveneric »

Offline Tactile

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 13:18:00 »
REΛLFORCE

Offline 4sStylZ

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 14:45:12 »
Also if you want practice…

Bépo user here : AEK64 White linear dampened, XD75 Cherry Blue Jailhoused, TypeMatrix2030 black skin, Lenovo 0B47200 w/ trackpoint, G13, G512. Kensington Expert Trackball & Orbit, Magic touchpad 2.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 16:05:51 »
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline noteveneric

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 07:11:09 »
There's MTN Pro  Metallic Pink Gold:

https://www.sprayplanet.com/products/mtn-pro-metallic-spray-paint-metallic-pink-gold
Nice. This is what I was looking for. Relatively inexpensive, too. Thanks!

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 07:44:00 »
Honestly spray painting brass to me seems like a waste. Have you considered finding a local gun-shop that does Cerakoting? A few places near me have quoted close to $75 or so for plates in the past, and I think that's fairly reasonable if the board is nice enough. Plus they could match the color you're looking for much more closely probably.

I guess if it's just a throw away piece then have at it, but just wanted to throw the idea out there.  :thumb:

Offline noteveneric

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 08:50:45 »
Have you considered finding a local gun-shop that does Cerakoting? A few places near me have quoted close to $75 or so for plates in the past, and I think that's fairly reasonable if the board is nice enough.
Do you have any photos of work you've had Cerakoted? I've got no experience with it and wouldn't know what to expect.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 09:35:55 »
Have you considered finding a local gun-shop that does Cerakoting? A few places near me have quoted close to $75 or so for plates in the past, and I think that's fairly reasonable if the board is nice enough.
Do you have any photos of work you've had Cerakoted? I've got no experience with it and wouldn't know what to expect.

I don't personally, but here's a link to their website gallery. Some good examples in there, and I'm fairly sure you can filter to metallic gold coats that have been done.

In fact, here's a quick screengrab I got when searching:
236457-0

The place near me has said they can make it more, or less metallic, to my liking when I do eventually have it done. Though I have not yet gone through with it. Lots of others in the hobby have done cerakoting recently though, with really good results.