Author Topic: [GB] GMK 9009 R3  (Read 259499 times)

Offline The Real Lippy

Re: [GB] GMK 9009 R3
« Reply #300 on: Sat, 27 June 2020, 13:54:08 »

My whole base kit is F'ed. I have the same issues as everyone eles, The pink accents are off and just very cloudy, its hard to get in pictures but it almost looks like a printer when its low on ink, there is white cloudy dots all through the color of the accent keys. My spacebars are warped to the point where they are unusable. The legends are my smallest problem but still really bad, everything with a P in it looks awful and my scroll lock looks like its on crack. I bought 2 base kits and i'm afraid to even open the second one and reading through this thread doesnt give me any hope that anything will be done about this but ill post what pics i have anyway.

Its not the lighting. The lighting might affect my ability to show it to you in pictures but my Pink ESC and ENTER are very cloudy with white dots all through out the keycaps BUTTTT like i said in my original post this is the smallest of my issues, so iam a little worried that this is the one thing you are addressing. The 8 warped Spacebars that i own that now make my set unusable and the cracked out scroll locks is really what i would like you to addresses in some way please

I would call it bleed rather the cloudy as since the second colour is darker than the rest of the cap you will notice more bleed regardless. However, I have not seen bleed this bad on doubleshots in a long time.

I agree bleed is a good word for it but besides the bleed i think the whole color is also off, i know nothing ever looks like the renders but i always remember 9009 being closer to eraser pink istead of orange red like R3 seems to have come out, but like i stated i think that these are all minor issues that happen with alot of sets. The unuseable spacebars and disgusting scroll locks are the two biggest issues because they make the set untypeable and there is no excuse for that, i think at a bare minimum we need to get our spacebars fixed   

Let me debunk that now because that's misleading and incorrect. Here's a comparison of the accents with the actual GMK color chips that the color is based on. The colors are spot-on.

Show Image

My whole base kit is F'ed. I have the same issues as everyone eles, The pink accents are off and just very cloudy, its hard to get in pictures but it almost looks like a printer when its low on ink, there is white cloudy dots all through the color of the accent keys. My spacebars are warped to the point where they are unusable. The legends are my smallest problem but still really bad, everything with a P in it looks awful and my scroll lock looks like its on crack. I bought 2 base kits and i'm afraid to even open the second one and reading through this thread doesnt give me any hope that anything will be done about this but ill post what pics i have anyway.

I would call it bleed rather the cloudy as since the second colour is darker than the rest of the cap you will notice more bleed regardless. However, I have not seen bleed this bad on doubleshots in a long time.

I agree bleed is a good word for it but besides the bleed i think the whole color is also off, i know nothing ever looks like the renders but i always remember 9009 being closer to eraser pink istead of orange red like R3 seems to have come out, but like i stated i think that these are all minor issues that happen with alot of sets. The unuseable spacebars and disgusting scroll locks are the two biggest issues because they make the set untypeable and there is no excuse for that, i think at a bare minimum we need to get our spacebars fixed   

Let me debunk that now because that's misleading and incorrect. Here's a comparison of the accents with the actual GMK color chips that the color is based on. The colors are spot-on.

Show Image

Yeah now match that to the color of my accents and ESC key and you clearly see that doesnt match.... Mine is way more muted, in person its even worse.... It legit looks like they were running low on ink or something and there is these tiny white dots all through the cap

What kind of lighting are you under? Plastic is ordered in huge batches, especially stock colours. A single outlier definitely seems impossible, especially across multiple keys that all happen to be that way in one set...

Offline mrkantz

« Reply #301 on: Sat, 27 June 2020, 15:44:38 »
Just got my set and looks great. Bored of these dorks complaining about everything in this hobby.

Offline chits

« Reply #302 on: Sat, 27 June 2020, 17:13:59 »
everyone who's complaining in this thread let me know when you find that set of perfect keycaps that you think exists.

Offline ackzot

« Reply #303 on: Sat, 27 June 2020, 17:14:51 »
i would say the "dorks" have spurred some analysis of GMK sets. I found it interesting Scroll, Pause, Print, are consistent from GB and GB. Although now I know its nothing to be alarmed about and can't be fixed, it may help GMK determine if they need to address these molds. If they do, great. If not, its consistent with their manufacturing.

Scroll is definitely off. It maybe inspire designers to favor Lock over Scroll cause Lock may look better. Or maybe GMK can fix the Scroll mold.

The 9009 space bars are more warped compared to older GMK sets. There may or may not be a change on how GMK manufactures/handles/packages the space bars. If there is a problem, this can help GMK improve it for future GBs.

For 9009 I bought the aesthetics kit. Every single space bar (total of eight between base and child kit) is warped. If its a random tolerance issue, I would expect to see some straight space bars.  I may not own as many GMK sets as others. But GMK Jamon, GMK Oblivion v2 Regular, Hagoromo Child Kit and an old Drop GMK WoB have relatively straight space bars compared to every single space bar in my 9009. What is interesting to me is that I have the new Drop GMK White on Black set and it also has warped space bars similar to 9009. We care about space bars cause most people in the community care about rattle.

9009 is a lovely set. Designers are more eagle eyed than me. I am happy Janglad has responded and hope he weighs in more on the space bars. But to help Janglad, people need to report. For those who say their GMK 9009 is fine, it would be nice if they can verify/confirm if their space bars are not warped.
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 June 2020, 17:18:53 by ackzot »

Offline hkiri

« Reply #304 on: Sat, 27 June 2020, 17:27:41 »
Just got my set and looks great. Bored of these dorks complaining about everything in this hobby.

everyone who's complaining in this thread let me know when you find that set of perfect keycaps that you think exists.

You two don’t really understand why people are “complaining” (it’s more about addressing problems than plain complaining), do you? GMK was and still is the go to standard for very good keycaps because they don’t have certain flaws, e.g. warped spacebars like almost every PBT set. When this now also occurs on GMK sets, what’s the point in paying this amount of money when you could go for a cheaper ePBT set with the exact same problems? Luckily so far it’s just some slight warping that won’t affect the usage and that’s why people are addressing this rather small issue right now before it is too late and it gets worse.

Offline 3ambutter

« Reply #305 on: Sat, 27 June 2020, 18:17:37 »

Scroll is definitely off. It maybe inspire designers to favor Lock over Scroll cause Lock may look better. Or maybe GMK can fix the Scroll mold.

^ This 100%. I went back to see if any of the other gmk GBs I joined have scroll. Luckily only bingsu is affected by this. I'd be more concerned with Dixie's radio silence + Janglad's reluctance to discuss any of the issues with GMK. From what I've read, he's used most of the time defending the set and pretty much saying you're SOL from the start. What's even more troubling is that GMK modo light and GMK modo 2 use the same moulds as gmk 9009. Modo light sold 3k and modo 2 is closing in on 4k. You would think addressing these issues would be a number one priority for them. If a premier vendor/designer duo such as them don't have enough pull at GMK to even have a conversation then maybe we really are SOL.
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 June 2020, 18:21:56 by 3ambutter »
Reborn60 | Keycult No.1 Rev.1 | SKB60 | TGR x SINGA UNIKORN | GSKT-00

Offline ackzot

« Reply #306 on: Sat, 27 June 2020, 19:05:50 »

I'd be more concerned with Dixie's radio silence + Janglad's reluctance to discuss any of the issues with GMK. From what I've read, he's used most of the time defending the set and pretty much saying you're SOL from the start.

Janglad has responded. He is approaching it analytically. From his work, he has demonstrated Scroll, Print, Pause, and other keys have been consistent from previous group buys. I believe Janglad and Dixie are talking about it, but I don't think at this time Dixie can really provide much to the thread if Janglad is responding.

If GMK molds are the issue, rerunning Scroll, Print, Pause will not fix anything. The bigger issue to me is space bars and Janglad has not weighed in. I believe he is analyzing the situation. First, is this a common issue on the new sets compared to prior GBs which did not experience it. If it is, what might be causing it. Without knowing what is causing it, you can't fix it.

Like Emir, he wants people to report what they have. The more info he has, the better he and/or dixie can approach GMK. Whether or not we will get replacement space bars, I dunno. If there is no solution, then most likely Dixie will not weigh in on 9009. If there is, I suspect at that point Dixie will weigh in.

What's even more troubling is that GMK modo light and GMK modo 2 use the same moulds as gmk 9009. Modo light sold 3k and modo 2 is closing in on 4k.

Modo Light is still in color matching phase on the accents. GMK Modo 2 is still in GB phase. LightningXI's Dolch R5 (which also uses Scroll) is in IC phase. The designers still might be able to address Scroll (or maybe use Lock). If they can figure out if the space bars is a real issue, then ideally they can work with GMK to fix it before Modo Light, Modo R2, and other sets are made.

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #307 on: Sat, 27 June 2020, 19:17:46 »

^ This 100%. I went back to see if any of the other gmk GBs I joined have scroll. Luckily only bingsu is affected by this. I'd be more concerned with Dixie's radio silence + Janglad's reluctance to discuss any of the issues with GMK. From what I've read, he's used most of the time defending the set and pretty much saying you're SOL from the start. What's even more troubling is that GMK modo light and GMK modo 2 use the same moulds as gmk 9009. Modo light sold 3k and modo 2 is closing in on 4k. You would think addressing these issues would be a number one priority for them. If a premier vendor/designer duo such as them don't have enough pull at GMK to even have a conversation then maybe we really are SOL.

Dixie is a busy man, I'm not going to ask him to also reply to things in this thread when I can as well. I bundle the issues, check the images etc and send them to him. I don't think I've in any way been reluctant, GMK simply hasn't said anything yet (they were sent this thread and said they'll look into it on Monday). As for defending, I think it's important to nuance the situation by showing that none of these issues are new or that this set isn't all of the sudden worse quality than the GMK/Cherry we've had and loved for decades now. This is a priority for us, again even from a business POV making customers not happy isn't a sustainable model. We and other vendors/designers have also been pulling at GMK. From their POV it's very costly to retool both because you make the new tooling and because of the delays this might cause to other sets. We also have to keep in mind that these moulds needs to be machined and all things have tolerances. We're talking about fractions of millilitres here (hell, most of the keys come from OG moulds which were made in a time when CNC didn't even exist let alone more accurate stuff like EDM). That doesn't mean it can't be fixed or shouldn't be attempted to fix, it just means it's expensive and hard. Those were a whole lot of accusations.

Offline Lufenia

« Reply #308 on: Sat, 27 June 2020, 23:46:01 »
Anyone else's order not shipping from ilumkb (Singapore)?

It's been stuck at awaiting collection from Courrier for the last two weeks.

I tried contacting ilumkb but they're not replying.

Offline 3ambutter

« Reply #309 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 01:53:10 »
Those were a whole lot of accusations.

I don't think anything I've said was off-based. You've posted 14 times since this issue has been brought up and none of them mention relaying the information to GMK. None of them even acknowledges the problem with warped space bars. Take a look at how EnjoyMyInsec initially addressed the wavez esc key or how Emir addressed the wob/bow extension kit and compare it to your initial post. "I think at the end of the day we're at the grace of GMK" doesn't instill too much confidence in the gb member.
Reborn60 | Keycult No.1 Rev.1 | SKB60 | TGR x SINGA UNIKORN | GSKT-00

Offline bobgr8

« Reply #310 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 02:29:28 »

I don't think anything I've said was off-based. You've posted 14 times since this issue has been brought up and none of them mention relaying the information to GMK. None of them even acknowledges the problem with warped space bars. Take a look at how EnjoyMyInsec initially addressed the wavez esc key or how Emir addressed the wob/bow extension kit and compare it to your initial post. "I think at the end of the day we're at the grace of GMK" doesn't instill too much confidence in the gb member.

+1

I don't think I've in any way been reluctant
While you accepted your renders were faulty, you didn't even acknowledge the warped spacebars. Nor did you relay that you've talked to GMK. Kindly let us know if GMK thinks the warped spacebars are faulty or not. And would we be getting fixed spacebars for the same or not.

Dixie is a busy man
This is his business, if this is how he runs his business, this is a PSA issue, and really bad customer service. I must say, my experience with this GB has been very poor, and makes me rethink of buying a dixie product in the future, as well as letting my friends know the same. Dixie only reacted to Rama Silicone Swirls after it became viral on r/mk .

I think it's important to nuance the situation by showing that none of these issues are new
Again please clarify on the warped spacebars, that's something no one was expecting. Warped Spacebars are a functional issue, which ruin this otherwise excellent set. Hell, even the cheapest ABS keycaps I own (from RK61, a board that costs $50 with ABS keycaps has a perfect spacebar).

delays this might cause to other sets
Again this is your other commitments taking priority over this GB, which makes this GB feel like a cash grab. I also believe most GB participants would be alright with a delay. And would prefer it over a faulty spacebar.

Here's Janglad's comment from Top Clack discord

It seems you truly believe that we are at the mercy of GMK, and it seems you don't care for our issues. You didn't mention that you are relaying the issue to GMK either. Also I don't think anyone wants 2 copies of scro// and P r int and Pause. I certainly don't like 8 faulty spacebars, what would I do with 16 faulty spacebars! We are asking for correction, not just asking you to re-order the same faulty keycaps. Hope that is clear.

Either way, the ramifications of how this GB is handled, are going to be wider than this GB alone.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 June 2020, 03:31:30 by bobgr8 »

Offline nappis

« Reply #311 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 03:47:12 »
My 9009 r3 spacebars are also warped. I'm done with GMK. Too bad I've joined so many GMK GBs. Well not going to spend any more money on this crap.

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #312 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 06:06:52 »

+1

While you accepted your renders were faulty, you didn't even acknowledge the warped spacebars. Nor did you relay that you've talked to GMK. Kindly let us know if GMK thinks the warped spacebars are faulty or not. And would we be getting fixed spacebars for the same or not.

Dixie is a busy man
This is his business, if this is how he runs his business, this is a PSA issue, and really bad customer service. I must say, my experience with this GB has been very poor, and makes me rethink of buying a dixie product in the future, as well as letting my friends know the same. Dixie only reacted to Rama Silicone Swirls after it became viral on r/mk .

I think it's important to nuance the situation by showing that none of these issues are new
Again please clarify on the warped spacebars, that's something no one was expecting. Warped Spacebars are a functional issue, which ruin this otherwise excellent set. Hell, even the cheapest ABS keycaps I own (from RK61, a board that costs $50 with ABS keycaps has a perfect spacebar).

delays this might cause to other sets
Again this is your other commitments taking priority over this GB, which makes this GB feel like a cash grab. I also believe most GB participants would be alright with a delay. And would prefer it over a faulty spacebar.

Here's Janglad's comment from Top Clack discord
Show Image

It seems you truly believe that we are at the mercy of GMK, and it seems you don't care for our issues. You didn't mention that you are relaying the issue to GMK either. Also I don't think anyone wants 2 copies of scro// and P r int and Pause. I certainly don't like 8 faulty spacebars, what would I do with 16 faulty spacebars! We are asking for correction, not just asking you to re-order the same faulty keycaps. Hope that is clear.

Either way, the ramifications of how this GB is handled, are going to be wider than this GB alone.

I have acknowledged the warped spacebars. I just don't know yet what causes them, have not heard back yet from GMK and I'm not going to make false promises. Same with the PSA. And yes that is obvious, GMK needs to change their production process for this to not have the same outcome. In other words they need to consider it out of tolerances so they do have the final say. Obviously doesn't mean we can't push them. Also not sure how that'd be a cash grab, if it was wouldn't I not care about delays in other sets as well? Either way that was not meant as a decision that would need to be weighed off by us but one that would need to be weighed off by GMK because you're right, I'm sure people wouldn't mind the delays in this case. As for the Discord conversation you brought up, kinda interesting you went from

to now even adding that screenshot to your signature. But heh you're obviously allowed to complain/change your mind  :D

Offline lys.nordique

• Formerly 'scatology'
« Reply #313 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 06:47:09 »
Complaining about 3 keys that will never get used since everybody is on 65%.

Offline bobgr8

« Reply #314 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 07:12:30 »
But heh you're obviously allowed to complain/change your mind  :D

Yeah Im just waiting on the resolution, then I'll decide on what to do with the GMK GBs I'm already in. And what to do with 8 faulty spacebars, do I risk DIY fix or recycle it as trash.

Since you have pointed GMK to this thread, I'll share my experience with QC and how they were handled.

By Keycreative for KAT Milkshake:
BIIP immediately contacted Keycreative through Zfrontier and replacements have been promised. I'm talked to Alex from Zf as well. They were glad to know the issues and are working to resolve it.

By Drop on MT3 Serika:
I do not have my set yet(it's with a friend), but Drop has confirmed to have provided replacement spacebars for MT3 Serika, including one that was received by Taeha on stream.

Edit: @Janglad, do you personally find the QC on point and accept the warped/faulty spacebars? Or are you searching for OG cherry spacebars that are warped to defend it? Just so we can understand your standards to make realistic expectations regarding this GB and your future GBs. Especially your take on the spacebars. This way both we and GMK can get a clear understanding of your thought process. 

I'm personally not ok with rattly spacebars that banana, and I bought GMK expecting it could make straight spacebars. Given it's abs and cheap Chinese OEMs can manage straight spacebars.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 June 2020, 10:27:53 by bobgr8 »

Offline ackzot

« Reply #315 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 11:17:17 »
someone mentioned this started with oblivion v2. I took out my Hagoromo 7u spacebar and compared to 7u 9009. slight warp in hagoromo but the warp is more pronounced in 9009.

245962-0

Offline break

« Reply #316 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 11:32:35 »

Yeah Im just waiting on the resolution, then I'll decide on what to do with the GMK GBs I'm already in. And what to do with 8 faulty spacebars, do I risk DIY fix or recycle it as trash.

Since you have pointed GMK to this thread, I'll share my experience with QC and how they were handled.

BIIP immediately contacted Keycreative through Zfrontier and replacements have been promised. I'm talked to Alex from Zf as well. They were glad to know the issues and are working to resolve it.

By Drop on MT3 Serika:
I do not have my set yet(it's with a friend), but Drop has confirmed to have provided replacement spacebars for MT3 Serika, including one that was received by Taeha on stream.

Edit: @Janglad, do you personally find the QC on point and accept the warped/faulty spacebars? Or are you searching for OG cherry spacebars that are warped to defend it? Just so we can understand your standards to make realistic expectations regarding this GB and your future GBs. Especially your take on the spacebars. This way both we and GMK can get a clear understanding of your thought process. 

I'm personally not ok with rattly spacebars that banana, and I bought GMK expecting it could make straight spacebars. Given it's abs and cheap Chinese OEMs can manage straight spacebars.

Hey, take it easy. Janglad already said he sent the thread to GMK. It’s a weekend. Customer service over there is not working right now, and we know that GMK is responsive to enthusiast concerns based on prior experience.

Seems like you’re new to this hobby, as this was your first GMK GB. I promise you’ll get better results waiting for news from Janglad or Dixie than cross-examining Janglad in this thread, or accusing him of cash grabs after he has designed some of the community’s most successful GBs. He (as we all) are trying the best we can.

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #317 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 11:53:07 »

By Drop on MT3 Serika:

Geez man. Please take a break.

Keep in mind this is the weekend. GMK is not going to have support staff on hand 24/7 to chat about spacebars. That's not how it works.

I know you said this is your first GB, so please calm down.

Keep in mind that doing GBs like this is only about 1/3 of GMK's business. Their core business is still making keycaps for industrial and commercial use where people aren't measuring keycaps with macro lenses.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #318 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 12:37:35 »

By Drop on MT3 Serika:

Geez man. Please take a break.

Keep in mind this is the weekend. GMK is not going to have support staff on hand 24/7 to chat about spacebars. That's not how it works.

I know you said this is your first GB, so please calm down.

Keep in mind that doing GBs like this is only about 1/3 of GMK's business. Their core business is still making keycaps for industrial and commercial use where people aren't measuring keycaps with macro lenses.

LOL. Mercy for the newbie.

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #319 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 14:58:19 »
Per Dixie on discord, if you have an issue with your set, you need to file a ticket so he can collect information.

He said, as of right now, he only has 3 tickets so he doesn't think the issue is widespread.

Personally, I'm fine with my caps, but just FYI for those that are unhappy.

Offline ackzot

« Reply #320 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 15:31:25 »
Per Dixie on discord, if you have an issue with your set, you need to file a ticket so he can collect information.

He said, as of right now, he only has 3 tickets so he doesn't think the issue is widespread.

Thanks for the info. Just to confirm, none of your 9009 space bars are warped? I am curious as no one has mentioned having non-warped space bars either.

Offline Sun

« Reply #321 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 16:40:05 »
I have sent in my ticket to Dixie and would suggest anyone with issues to do as well. They requested pictures of my space bars and they will check with GMK if it is within spec.

What I don't understand are the people coming in here making fun of the concerns and suggesting they are trivial. If you are happy with your product that's great. Let Janglad know and maybe post your boards and caps. It is indeed a great set to have.

In the end, being critical of the caps will only help with better quality products and customer service for future hobbyists. Dixie Mech is a business. They are trying to make a profit. They aren't just in it for fun. It is okay to push for some accountability.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #322 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 01:52:47 »
My thoughts: people are blowing this out of proportion. The "defects" have always been there and are just being brought to attention now. This is good info for GMK to follow up on, but not something to be absolutely furious about.

Edit: This is re legend issues; I'm not saying that warped spacebars are okay.
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 June 2020, 04:46:09 by konstantin »

Offline westway

« Reply #323 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 02:29:27 »
Can confirm that spacebars are warped in my set. Scroll is misaligned like reported. I noticed it before reading this thread. I can compare with GMK WoB: spacebar were perfect there, but Scroll isn't perfectly aligned. I think the color scheme make the imperfection less visible in some sets. Print and P are ok.

Edit: damn, my photos came out rotated...

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #324 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 02:56:46 »
A friend of mine currently has my set and won't be able to get it to me for another 3-4 months (partially due to COVID-19 flight restrictions)... I don't really want to ask them to inspect it for me as I feel they've already done me a great favour (plus they wouldn't really know what to look for past a curved spacebar I suppose). I hope I don't eventually get my set to find out they're all messed up and it's been too long to ask for replacements.

Offline Randalljai

« Reply #325 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 03:11:53 »

Thanks for the info. Just to confirm, none of your 9009 space bars are warped? I am curious as no one has mentioned having non-warped space bars either.

My spacebars look okay. Placed them on a table and it sat flush against the table. Is there another way to check?

Offline Tyson

« Reply #326 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 12:04:23 »

My spacebars look okay. Placed them on a table and it sat flush against the table. Is there another way to check?

If it's sitting flush then congrats, it's not warped, I think the only spacebars that some were saying were warped were the ones from the spacebar add on kit.

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #327 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 12:10:11 »

If it's sitting flush then congrats, it's not warped, I think the only spacebars that some were saying were warped were the ones from the spacebar add on kit.

No, my base kit bars are definitely warped too and others in this thread are reporting the same.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #328 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 12:19:23 »
The spacebars may show up with a little warping but may actually be fine once mounted; I'd personally recommend going beyond the "put on a flat surface" test and actually trying to put them on a switch+stabilizer on a board and seeing how the travel compares relative to what you consider a 'normal' and functional spacebar.

The important part is whether functionality is affected, and it's probably easier to say that warping = dysfunction before attempting a test to see how varying degrees of warping (and for which length of spacebars, specifically) correlate to change in vertical travel.

Offline bobgr8

« Reply #329 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 12:46:04 »
The spacebars may show up with a little warping but may actually be fine once mounted; I'd personally recommend going beyond the "put on a flat surface" test and actually trying to put them on a switch+stabilizer on a board and seeing how the travel compares relative to what you consider a 'normal' and functional spacebar.

The important part is whether functionality is affected, and it's probably easier to say that warping = dysfunction before attempting a test to see how varying degrees of warping (and for which length of spacebars, specifically) correlate to change in vertical travel.

My 6.25u definitely rattles and bananas vs a cheap ABS which is actually straight. Makes me wanna use that cheap ABS over this warped one. And a bad spacebar can definitely ruin a good board, hence the lubing the stabs is such an important part. Imagine your typing tests with a rattly spacebars.

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #330 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 13:44:54 »

I'm sorry, but "functional" should be the minimum requirement when buying a luxury product, lol. I didn't front $150 and wait months for them to just be good enough. A huge reason I buy GMK over pbt is for the straight space bars, and these came warped.

Fwiw, I tried heating one of my 6us in hot water and putting a weight on it to flatten it out. It seemed to help a bit. Maybe. But it was still warped when it cooled down.
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 June 2020, 13:52:18 by Ensaum »

Offline bobgr8

« Reply #331 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 14:14:39 »

I'm sorry, but "functional" should be the minimum requirement when buying a luxury product, lol. I didn't front $150 and wait months for them to just be good enough. A huge reason I buy GMK over pbt is for the straight space bars, and these came warped.

Fwiw, I tried heating one of my 6us in hot water and putting a weight on it to flatten it out. It seemed to help a bit. Maybe. But it was still warped when it cooled down.

Furthermore, I would like to add not all of us are capable or willing to correct a warped spacebar. Nor should it be expected from us.

Which is why I'm asking for Janglad's opinion, and what is he communicating with GMK. If he thinks the bent GMK spacebars isn't an issue, I can move on and manage my expectations. The lack of clear communication is the problem. No one told us we had to file a ticked with dixie. Then dixie says on his discord only 3 people filed a ticked, hence the issue isn't widespread.

Further, other runner like Emir and Enjoy were pretty clear that the QC on GMK's side was unacceptable for their designs. But here is his comment from Keebtalk: https://www.keebtalk.com/t/gmk-quality-control/9353/4

The spacebar issue is harder to confirm since not many people have unused spacebars from years back but people have confirmed them also having it on sets like BoW [.....] Considering the legends always were that way and people are just now picking up it’s likely this is the case for the spacebars too

This isn't inspiring confidence. I'm sure GMK has made straight spacebars in the past.

Going up a few posts (if Janglad would have read it, or deliberately ignored it), there are straight ABS spacebars in existence from GMK, Another user has posted it on this very thread. Regarding WoB spacebars, drop straight up refunded. I don't think that is a viable solution, but drop did what drop did for its' customers.

Maybe Janglad is still hunting for an OG cherry set with warped spacebar. lol.  Is it unreasonable to expect a reply like "Yes the spacebars are ****ed and I will talk to GMK about it". But we got "we are at the grace of GMK".

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #332 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 17:14:51 »
My anecdotes: my 7U and 6.25U are both fine -- the 7U has an extremely slight amount of bend, but is well within what I consider acceptable. They both compare favorably to the OG 7U I just pulled off a board, and they function well when mounted.

My Scroll key is a little weird like you can see in my earlier picture. But for $99 this set was a good deal and I'm quite happy with it. It's not OG, but GMK never has been.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #333 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 20:23:32 »
Honestly the new egg carton key cap holder is the worst part of the set.  Mine is already cracked and getting the keys to lay flat is a chore.
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline Randalljai

« Reply #334 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 00:01:19 »
Honestly the new egg carton key cap holder is the worst part of the set.  Mine is already cracked and getting the keys to lay flat is a chore.

This. Thought it was neat, but meh.

Offline beadlock

« Reply #335 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 09:52:46 »

Furthermore, I would like to add not all of us are capable or willing to correct a warped spacebar. Nor should it be expected from us.

Which is why I'm asking for Janglad's opinion, and what is he communicating with GMK. If he thinks the bent GMK spacebars isn't an issue, I can move on and manage my expectations. The lack of clear communication is the problem. No one told us we had to file a ticked with dixie. Then dixie says on his discord only 3 people filed a ticked, hence the issue isn't widespread.

Further, other runner like Emir and Enjoy were pretty clear that the QC on GMK's side was unacceptable for their designs. But here is his comment from Keebtalk: https://www.keebtalk.com/t/gmk-quality-control/9353/4

The spacebar issue is harder to confirm since not many people have unused spacebars from years back but people have confirmed them also having it on sets like BoW [.....] Considering the legends always were that way and people are just now picking up it’s likely this is the case for the spacebars too

This isn't inspiring confidence. I'm sure GMK has made straight spacebars in the past.

Going up a few posts (if Janglad would have read it, or deliberately ignored it), there are straight ABS spacebars in existence from GMK, Another user has posted it on this very thread. Regarding WoB spacebars, drop straight up refunded. I don't think that is a viable solution, but drop did what drop did for its' customers.

Maybe Janglad is still hunting for an OG cherry set with warped spacebar. lol.  Is it unreasonable to expect a reply like "Yes the spacebars are ****ed and I will talk to GMK about it". But we got "we are at the grace of GMK".

This is your first GMK set and you have started a brigade on multiple discord servers, here on geekhack and now adding keebtalk? If you have an issue with ANY product you buy, you go to the customer service of WHO sold it to you. Not outright flaming them on social media. I understand your frustration, but your continued messages like this (“if Janglad would have read it, or deliberately ignored it“) are not helping anyone’s case.

You were told to wait for a official statement from GMK but have spent the last few days going off his this was janglad and dixies fault. GMK has been contacted and we (the community) are waiting for them to....hold on....evaluate production and find a possible answer. Chill, take a breather, life won’t stop because you have a bent spacebar.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #336 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 10:04:51 »
Mine arrived. I opened it.

The colours look spot on, so far. I haven't opened the base kit, and everything is sealed.

Numbers [NumPad] generally look clean. The LED "Scroll" legend isn't bent.

The "End" key legend may be a bit crooked. I'm enclosing some photos of the visible keycaps, below.

END KEY

A similar image: https://i.imgur.com/j1GQ2xo.jpg

NUMPAD

A similar image: https://i.imgur.com/iyGgDGC.jpg

SCROLL LOCK [LED] Pad-Printed?

A similar image: https://i.imgur.com/BhhfITl.jpg

Haven't opened / tested the spacebars yet.

Offline hkiri

« Reply #337 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 11:05:08 »
The LED "Scroll" legend isn't bent.

Because it's pad printed instead of double shot.

Offline bobgr8

« Reply #338 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 12:37:27 »
You were told to wait for a official statement from GMK

Hey, I went through the entire thread, and read each and every of Janglad's comments. could you please point out where he's asked us to wait on GMK's official statement?

Also I would like to add, he didn't inform us that he had pointed GMK to this thread, Until this comment came out of the blue.:

GMK simply hasn't said anything yet (they were sent this thread and said they'll look into it on Monday)

I am certainly not the only one who has noticed it. The above comment came after this comment:

Further I would also like to add, he still hasn't acknowledged the warped spacebars as an issue.

Like where? I still do not see a comment, like "Yes the spacebars are an issue."

...but your continued messages like this (“if Janglad would have read it, or deliberately ignored it“) are not helping anyone’s case.

What else am I supposed to do? Please let me know. Dixie responded on keebtalk, but not here. Janglad's says we are at the mercy of GMK. He's unlikely to help us get a resolution, unlike other designers who clearly called out poor QC.

Further, I believe future GB entrants would like to know how 9009 was handled, lest their dixie GBs run into similar issue. This is a Gb where the neither the designer nor the vendor has accepted the issues. The designer hasn't once said this QC by GMK is unacceptable. Either they value their relationship with GMK a lot more than they value our continued support, or their standards are too low.

I also do not think expecting straight spacebars is a high expectation, getting 8 warped spacebars certainly isn't inspiring any confidence in GMK.

Again there's not hate on GMK or Dixie, or Janglad as individuals, just their professional behaviour has left me wanting. And obviously not blaming Janglad or dixie for the moulding or warping issue. But I do expect them to help us get straight spacebars. Let me repeat, dixie and Janglad are not at fault for GMK's QC. But they certainly are at fault for their reluctance to call out the issues and poor communications.

If you still think I'm in the wrong here, lemme know, I'm all ears. This is my first GB, but this is also the first GB with warped spacebars as a major issue. And hey, everybody starts somewhere!
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 June 2020, 12:42:56 by bobgr8 »

Offline superuser41

« Reply #339 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 12:51:03 »
I have acknowledged the warped spacebars. I just don't know yet what causes them, have not heard back yet from GMK and I'm not going to make false promises. Same with the PSA. And yes that is obvious, GMK needs to change their production process for this to not have the same outcome. In other words they need to consider it out of tolerances so they do have the final say. Obviously doesn't mean we can't push them. [snip]

Offline bobgr8

« Reply #340 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 13:00:13 »
I have acknowledged the warped spacebars. I just don't know yet what causes them, have not heard back yet from GMK and I'm not going to make false promises. Same with the PSA. And yes that is obvious, GMK needs to change their production process for this to not have the same outcome. In other words they need to consider it out of tolerances so they do have the final say. Obviously doesn't mean we can't push them. [snip]

forgive me if I'm wrong, but

I have acknowledged the warped spacebars

and

I have acknowledged the warped spacebars, and they are an issue, unacceptable to me.

are 2 sentences with very different meanings. There is a difference in acknowledging sometime, and accepting something as unacceptable.

Further, this too came out of the blue, when I pointed out he still hasn't acknowledged the issue.

+1

I have acknowledged the warped spacebars.

If you find a post predating this one. that is he acknowledged the bent spacebars before my comment, do let me know, I'll correct the above comment. I certainly couldn't find it.

Edit: the point is not to attack Janglad's reluctance, I'm just waiting on the proposed resolution. and I cannot help but say the experience has been frustrating.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 June 2020, 13:03:53 by bobgr8 »

Offline Lufenia

« Reply #341 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 23:15:16 »
Since it's taking Ilumkb more than 2 weeks to reply any of my messages, I'll try my luck here.

Anyone else's order not shipping from them?

Offline ackzot

« Reply #342 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 10:11:43 »
Since it's taking Ilumkb more than 2 weeks to reply any of my messages, I'll try my luck here.

i dont think anyone here can assist else they would have have responded earlier. you might want to try the discord server and maybe ask in group-buy discussion channel.

Offline bobgr8

« Reply #343 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 02:36:42 »

Is your order via SingPost? SingPost has resumed shipping to my country, but I chose to upgrade to DHL Express for the sake of convenience. If it's SingPost, you gotta wait.

Offline yap68

« Reply #344 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 03:19:50 »
I am very close to Singapore but my set has been sitting in Singpost for more than 3 weeks since the shipping notice.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 July 2020, 03:22:45 by yap68 »

Offline bobgr8

« Reply #345 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 10:19:39 »
With the 9009 extras sale announcement and no reply via ticket support. I’m not expecting any resolution at all.

Fml have 8 warped spacebars from a single set. Never buy a dixie product again.  :'(

Offline chowder266

« Reply #346 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 16:08:45 »
looking to buy 9009 ramas

Offline solomonshv

« Reply #347 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 20:12:20 »
the legends on the mods and letters are typical for GMK, and something most of us learned to deal with. i have a GMK WoB from a long while ago that has a lot of the issues shown here on the scroll and enter keys.

HOWEVER,

those space bars are disgusting. the aliexpress kits i bought for $20 have better space bars than that. this isn't an existing issue. i am in 4 GMK GBs and now i'm worried that i will end up with space bars like this. those of you meat shielding and saying, "don't like it don't buy it" don't solve the issue for people who are already hundreds of dollars in on a bunch of sets BEFORE this started.

i was going to buy gmk bread, sumi, bento and a few others, but until i see an explanation and/or resolution to this, i'm taking that advice and not buying anything else.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 July 2020, 20:21:25 by solomonshv »
Keebs::: Bok.CP - Antique Copper | Keycult No.2/65 Black/Brass | Keycult No.2 Rev 1 Grey/Brass | Jane V2 CE - Black/Multicolor | J-01 Rev1 - Blue | Haus - Silver | Kohaku - Red | OwLab Jelly Epoch - Ruby SE & Popcorn | KBD8X MKII WKL - Black PC | Ayleen WKL - Gin
Caps::: GMK Modo, GMK Jamon, GMK Olive, GMK Mizu, GMK Olivia++, GMK Bingsu, GMK Analog Dreams, GMK Botanical, GMK Moondust, GMK Taro R2, GMK Hennessey, GMK Serika R2, GMK Birch, GMK Tuzi, GMK Red Alert, GMK Zooted, GMK Hazakura, GMK Cyrillic Beige, GMK Lavender, GMK Daifuku, GMK November Fog, GMK Villanelle, GMK Blossom, DCS 9009 WYSE Alps

On order: GMK Tiramisu, GMK Maroon, GMK Bordeaux, GMK Taiga

Offline J3ff_Leopard

• Wishlist
« Reply #348 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 21:10:53 »
With the 9009 extras sale announcement and no reply via ticket support. I’m not expecting any resolution at all.

Fml have 8 warped spacebars from a single set. Never buy a dixie product again.  :'(

You should full commit and never buy another GMK product again. No Balls, you won't.
WTB Resin Cast Click Clack Leaf

Offline kronograf

« Reply #349 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 21:37:57 »
+1 for warped spacebars. Tired of this happening on all the new GMK sets being delivered.
jane me | 910 me