Author Topic: (GB) PENUMBRA SA KEYSET(shipping)  (Read 1394491 times)

Offline cultofjosh

Re: (GB) PENUMBRA SA KEYSET
« Reply #200 on: Sat, 07 December 2013, 16:13:19 »
Wallethack! I've barely been reading this site a month and this is already the 3rd group buy I'm in. But I liked this set so much I ordered 1 of everything to make sure I can always have whatever keyboard I choose outfitted with this  :p

Hope I like the SA keys as much as the color theme. Now if that ergodox kit does come out I can outfit 2 keyboards total...fingers crossed  ;D

Offline elllit

« Reply #201 on: Sat, 07 December 2013, 18:25:00 »
Wallethack! I've barely been reading this site a month and this is already the 3rd group buy I'm in. But I liked this set so much I ordered 1 of everything to make sure I can always have whatever keyboard I choose outfitted with this  :p

Hope I like the SA keys as much as the color theme. Now if that ergodox kit does come out I can outfit 2 keyboards total...fingers crossed  ;D

3rd in  a month after joining?

... that's nothing... I bet I can better that stats...  ;( aaaaand ;)

Offline kolonelkadat

• Force Project X
« Reply #202 on: Sat, 07 December 2013, 23:01:56 »
sigh. I think I screwed up my address on the order form. I didnt know If I was meant to put my name in the address box or not. I wasnt going to, but then I saw the message about youre just printing whatevers in that box...

oh well hopefully putting my name twice wont stop it getting here.
"Obviously, windows are central to Windows. But what is a window?"

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #203 on: Sat, 07 December 2013, 23:04:48 »
sigh. I think I screwed up my address on the order form. I didnt know If I was meant to put my name in the address box or not. I wasnt going to, but then I saw the message about youre just printing whatevers in that box...

oh well hopefully putting my name twice wont stop it getting here.

You have nothing to worry about! :D

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #204 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 23:18:20 »
oh my lord, that is a beautiful set... how did i only see this now?! ugh.. not a fan of SP though... to order or not to order!!!!!!!!

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #205 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 23:48:29 »
oh my lord, that is a beautiful set... how did i only see this now?! ugh.. not a fan of SP though... to order or not to order!!!!!!!!

You askin' me?
I say order.
If today had been a hippo, then you'd really have to worry about tomorrow.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #206 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 01:30:10 »
If you don't like SP's thin doubleshots, or odd profile of their DCS keycaps, both of those issues are absent with these. SP's SA profile is very thick. I recommend order.

These are some of the thicker doubleshots you can get. Of all the KBs I have, I think only fujitsu leaf springs and honeywell hall effect have thicker keycaps.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #207 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 01:32:40 »
If you don't like SP's thin doubleshots, or odd profile of their DCS keycaps, both of those issues are absent with these. SP's SA profile is very thick. I recommend order.

These are some of the thicker doubleshots you can get. Of all the KBs I have, I think only fujitsu leaf springs and honeywell hall effect have thicker keycaps.

Oh wow, I didn't know of this! Even thicker than GMK/Cherry? Well now, I have some serious thinking to do!

Thank you very much for this information! By any chance, could you link me to some pictures of these SA caps and the undersides???

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #208 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 01:52:50 »
Oh wow, I didn't know of this! Even thicker than GMK/Cherry? Well now, I have some serious thinking to do!

Thank you very much for this information! By any chance, could you link me to some pictures of these SA caps and the undersides???

Here's the picture. (I got it from the commando thread, but it might be from the retro DSA thread or even earlier)

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #209 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 02:17:13 »

Here's the picture. (I got it from the commando thread, but it might be from the retro DSA thread or even earlier)
Show Image

Thank you for this!!!

Well shiz... Looks like my bank account might end up becoming much thinner earlier later this week...

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #210 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 04:53:11 »
Well shiz... Looks like my bank account might end up becoming much thinner earlier later this week...

Welcome to Geekhack  :thumb: .

Offline ClarusWorks

« Reply #211 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 13:43:30 »
This set looks awesome, looking at getting a base + number pad for an RK-9000 I'm planning to use for a "retro makeover" project.  Would this set include the right caps lock key, etc. for Costar boards?

Also, re: verification question "A popular serial bus for keyboard connectivity:"  PS/2 is also a serial bus... or maybe I'm now sufficiently old that it is no longer considered 'popular'.

Offline AuRinBei

« Reply #212 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 16:03:00 »
Any info on the novelty caps? That's what I'm most exited for.
87u || Poker 2

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #213 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 16:33:55 »
So no Colemak and no backspace for HHKB layout? (correct legends I mean) Sorry if that's already been covered and I missed it.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #214 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 17:18:04 »
So no Colemak and no backspace for HHKB layout? (correct legends I mean) Sorry if that's already been covered and I missed it.
If the alphas are plat profile, dvorak and colemak should work. We are waiting on commando for this.

At least, if I understand it right that's the status.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #215 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 17:25:48 »

hhkb should be covered, as thats what i use, we need about 15 more orders before i make that official with the base set

colemak etc im waiting to get my hands on my commando to decide on what profile to go with
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline Irisviel

« Reply #216 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 02:46:00 »
Paid thx for working

Offline Lumune

« Reply #217 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 14:27:35 »

hhkb should be covered, as thats what i use, we need about 15 more orders before i make that official with the base set

colemak etc im waiting to get my hands on my commando to decide on what profile to go with

Kept forgetting to place my order, make that 14 more orders :)

Offline skuko

« Reply #218 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 14:22:09 »
invoice paid, looking forward to the keys :)

Offline jaymatter

« Reply #219 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 03:54:31 »
+1 for an Ergodox option. I've PM'd you, Bunny.

Thanks for putting this together btw.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #220 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 08:09:49 »
all invoices now sent and up to date

3 days left to order guys

once ordering is complete, if you are at all interested in an ergodox kit, please watch this thread closely a day or 2 after the orders close, i will be putting together a list of everyone who wants an ergodox kit, coming to a consensus on what everyone needs it to include, getting a price for it and invoicing everyone who wants one, i need this process to go nice and speedy so if you want one please stay on top of the thread

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #221 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 08:30:07 »
I love you Bunny. Now that i found a keycap set that i love i can order the ergodox without feeling empty inside with those bad looking blank dsa set it comes with

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #222 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 08:55:46 »
all invoices now sent and up to date

3 days left to order guys

once ordering is complete, if you are at all interested in an ergodox kit, please watch this thread closely a day or 2 after the orders close, i will be putting together a list of everyone who wants an ergodox kit, coming to a consensus on what everyone needs it to include, getting a price for it and invoicing everyone who wants one, i need this process to go nice and speedy so if you want one please stay on top of the thread

I'll get an ergodox kit to help get the price down!

Offline mooswa

« Reply #223 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 12:12:02 »
I am hoping to hear about flat vs. sculptured alphas decision before I order.  I suspect that I will not like the flat  :(

Somehow, Tab row looks lower then Caps.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #224 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 12:16:17 »
It's not completely flat, just the 3 middle rows.  Also judging by responses, some people prefer it flat.  You won't know until you try it.  I don't think it will be the same as DSA necessarily.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #225 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 14:26:37 »
i was trying to get my hands on commando before this was over but obviously that isnt gonna happen

ill put some thought into the profile thing for the next day or so and would welcome some feedback

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #226 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 14:34:29 »
Is the Filco set flat along the middle?  I think it might be.  I'd talk to JD about it--he's been raving about that set.  Belfong says here:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50159.msg1146180#msg1146180

I gotta admit that the SPH profile takes some adjustment. The way the profile stands would have cause my fingers to know each other. Now I begin to see how it is not for everybody and perhaps a All row 3 would be better.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #227 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 15:56:28 »
i was trying to get my hands on commando before this was over but obviously that isnt gonna happen

ill put some thought into the profile thing for the next day or so and would welcome some feedback

Is it worth delaying ordering to wait for Bunny to compare the row 3 profiled alphas to the SA set he has already? I wouldn't mind waiting an extra couple of weeks in order to feel really good about the decision.

Then again, if ergodox kits are being added on, maybe alphas all need to be row3 anyway...

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #228 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 16:21:30 »
jil_jil32's photograph of the 23 Commando set profile:

And modifying his image to add row numbers:

47791-0

Standard SA profile, Round5-style (also modifying jil_jil's image):

47793-1

I kind of like the 2nd row from the top to be Row 2 for either scenario.  Sticks out less than Row 1 but still has an ergonomic curve.

P.S.: someone posted this photo (they are not sure of the origin) of Round3 on the DT R5 discussion thread.  The standard layout does seem more ergonomic
http://i.imgur.com/2StCZ0t.jpg

« Last Edit: Sat, 14 December 2013, 18:06:09 by Photoelectric »

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #229 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 18:49:16 »
How many orders are we at?
We gettin' some extra goodies?
If today had been a hippo, then you'd really have to worry about tomorrow.

Offline mooswa

« Reply #230 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 20:12:10 »
It's not completely flat, just the 3 middle rows.  Also judging by responses, some people prefer it flat.  You won't know until you try it.  I don't think it will be the same as DSA necessarily.

I did say flat alphas.
Which responses are you referring too?  I would love to hear from somone who have actually typed on that profile.

Is it worth delaying ordering to wait for Bunny to compare the row 3 profiled alphas to the SA set he has already? I wouldn't mind waiting an extra couple of weeks in order to feel really good about the decision.

I wouldn't mind waiting a bit longer as well.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #231 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 20:15:07 »

I did say flat alphas.
Which responses are you referring too?  I would love to hear from somone who have actually typed on that profile.

I quoted one above.

Also, the Filco SA set has a flat row-3 profile for the alphas (row 2 for the number row):
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50159.msg1145536#msg1145536

and JD's been raving about it.  So like I said, definitely good to ask JD for his opinion too.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 December 2013, 20:17:42 by Photoelectric »

Offline cultofjosh

« Reply #232 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 20:15:43 »
Just paid my first ever geek hack invoice :)

I'm a bit torn up on the whole profile thing. On one hand, I would love to try a standard SA profile since I've never used keycaps like this before. On the other hand, my initial interest in these keycaps was for the ergodox kit I ordered and it sounds like all row 3 alphas are better for that? Hmm. Wish I could be of more help here. I think as long as it works well on one of my keyboards I'll be happy - methinks I'm too new at this to have any definitive preferences yet.

Offline mooswa

« Reply #233 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 22:09:40 »
I am not sure I follow why would all row-3 alphas be better for ergodox.

Offline cultofjosh

« Reply #234 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 00:10:21 »
I am not sure I follow why would all row-3 alphas be better for ergodox.

You know, I'm not 100% on that. nuclearsandwich mentioned it. Maybe ergodox users are more likely to rearrange their alphas a bit? I think most ergodox keycap addon kits are all blank because people put their modifiers in different locations.

The more I think about it, the more I want this keycap set to be ideal on a straight row keyboard, not my future ergodox. I still can't answer what ideal is - I'll have to trust others on that for now -  but I feel like the different solarized accent colors add a lot to this set. With a likely blank ergodox keycap set, I think it loses some of its charm. Maybe instead of blanks, the ergodox mods could have something really simple on them, even a simple straight line/long dash or something, to retain some of the accents. Just throwin' an idea out there...of course, I assume that would add cost, if it's even possible.

Offline mooswa

« Reply #235 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 00:34:00 »
I was thinking exactly the same thing - without legends it is going to loose some charm.  What about having some generic legends for ergodox modifiers?  Geek/Hack, Ergo/Dox, Left, Right, Solarized, Penumbra ...   I wouldn't mind CtrlAlt.com or BunnyLake  keys either ;-)

Offline Belfong

« Reply #236 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 03:50:57 »
Why not do a poll on whether people want flat vs Standard SA profile (ala Round 5). For me, I already have R4 and have an order of R5. I wouldn't mind if Penumbra is flat. That way, there is a mix of key caps to suit different mood. Since there are two running SA group buys currently, not that one has ended yet, so it makes sense to be different than to be the same.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #237 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 04:09:05 »
I haven't tried any keycaps of this profile and would love to try regular SA profile :) The concept of being able to reach each keycap more efficiently at those angles is awesome :) Ergo clears on this thing would be amazing.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #238 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 04:22:03 »
If i like my ergodox alot i'm afraid i will like it so much i won't be able to enjoy topre as much since the layout will be so different

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #239 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 04:36:44 »
If i like my ergodox alot i'm afraid i will like it so much i won't be able to enjoy topre as much since the layout will be so different
Show Image

I'd watch out because I know there are a few people who sold all their keyboards but their ergo dox because they got too used to the ergo dox layout, and couldn't go back to standard layout.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #240 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 04:40:40 »
Show Image

I'd watch out because I know there are a few people who sold all their keyboards but their ergo dox because they got too used to the ergo dox layout, and couldn't go back to standard layout.
Well the ergodox will be my first mechanical keyboard. So i have no others to sell. After i get my ergodox the only keyboards i want to try are Topre keyboards, Maybe a model m/f.

I hope i can be one of those people who have a topre board  and a ergodox and can use both. But if i don't and i love the ergodox too much i guess it's meant to be.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #241 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 04:42:04 »
Show Image

Well the ergodox will be my first mechanical keyboard. So i have no others to sell. After i get my ergodox the only keyboards i want to try are Topre keyboards, Maybe a model m/f.

I hope i can be one of those people who have a topre board  and a ergodox and can use both. But if i don't and i love the ergodox too much i guess it's meant to be.
Show Image

Can't argue that :thumb: I'll look forward to seeing what you end up with.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #242 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 05:24:06 »
Show Image

Show Image

Can't argue that :thumb: I'll look forward to seeing what you end up with.
I heard lubed ergo clears are the god tier of Mx switches so i guess that's what i'm going to do with my Dox.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #243 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 06:26:02 »
Finally paid :)

Offline argyakrivos

« Reply #244 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 06:46:02 »
Hey BunnyLake,

I thought your store was based in the UK (?). I tried to order but there is only CONUS and International shipping method and international costs $15.

I just thought, if the store was in fact based in the UK, delivery to the UK would be cheaper. Am I assuming wrong?

Offline cookiesowns

« Reply #245 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 06:50:11 »
Damn wallet hack.

Order placed.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 December 2013, 20:08:45 by cookiesowns »

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #246 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 06:57:38 »
Hey BunnyLake,

I thought your store was based in the UK (?). I tried to order but there is only CONUS and International shipping method and international costs $15.

I just thought, if the store was in fact based in the UK, delivery to the UK would be cheaper. Am I assuming wrong?

this isnt being sold through the store sadly, it is a gb and it will be delivered to a US address, i am indeed based in the UK and will be sending out uk and eu orders, but in order to get those orders to the UK, i have to pay shipping from the US to US proxy. US proxy to UK, some VAT charges, and then shipping from the UK to you

Offline argyakrivos

« Reply #247 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 07:49:25 »
Hey BunnyLake,

this isnt being sold through the store sadly, it is a gb and it will be delivered to a US address, i am indeed based in the UK and will be sending out uk and eu orders, but in order to get those orders to the UK, i have to pay shipping from the US to US proxy. US proxy to UK, some VAT charges, and then shipping from the UK to you
Ah I see, makes sense then. Just ordered :)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #248 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 09:14:39 »
this is seriously one of the best color scheme I've seen so far (after DSA retro of course :P ). unfortunately it collides with Round 5 otherwise I would have taken right away.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #249 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 18:51:59 »
this is seriously one of the best color scheme I've seen so far (after DSA retro of course :p ). unfortunately it collides with Round 5 otherwise I would have taken right away.

YES totally agree it collides with Round 5 and this will hurt towards 2014.  Although I bought into both, the vast amount of money spent thus far - is currently top secret, concerning my mrs.

Hopefully she will never find out.........  8)