Poll

What should happen with the payment discrepancy?

Refund money to participants
9 (25%)
Send participants extra switches
8 (22.2%)
Send participants silly things and donate money
19 (52.8%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: Mon, 26 October 2015, 15:35:50

Author Topic: [GB] Alps Party 60% - Hannibal at the Gates  (Read 299939 times)

Offline stoic-lemon

Re: [GB] Alps Party 60% - Hannibal at the Gates
« Reply #200 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 01:41:05 »
What constitutes a set of stabs in this case? Enough for a 60% keyboard?

That sort of depends on what layout you are doing.  E.g. the sets won't have one for an Infinity spacebar.

The sets are what Matias defines as a set. 

Would you like to know more?

Ah, sorry. Don't know how I manged to miss that thread since I am on here all day lol.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #201 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 01:43:21 »
Ah, sorry. Don't know how I manged to miss that thread since I am on here all day lol.

No worries.  If you asked it, chances are that someone else would want to know the answer too.

Offline jevvix

« Reply #202 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 07:17:12 »
Any options for cheap cases? I've been eyeing http://world.taobao.com/item/44521181795.htm for a while but I'm concerned on quality and the cost of the Taobao proxy's shipping to the USA so I never pulled the trigger.
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 October 2015, 11:21:41 by jevvix »

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #203 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 07:42:35 »
I bought this, and it arrived today. No idea it will fit, but I'l sure as hell going to try: http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6887883254.html

And yes, the quality seems really good.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #204 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 07:43:03 »
I know it was a little up in the air but, have we confirmed that the plates will work with Costar inserts?
The Costar inserts that snap into the plate? No, the plate will definitely NOT work with those.
I thought you were going to add those holes once you received the dimensions from Mr. Matias.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #205 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 07:54:51 »
All this stabilizer talk is very confusing to me  :-\

What are the options for a 6u stab that will work with these plates? Seems like there isn't an option for that in Blues IC. Seems that costar inserts (aka, the stabs that come with the infinity) won't work... is the only option cannibalizing a vintage alps board? Sorry if this was already covered in the thread, I didn't see an answer.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #206 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 07:57:02 »

What are the options for a 6u stab that will work with these plates? Seems like there isn't an option for that in Blues IC. Seems that costar inserts (aka, the stabs that come with the infinity) won't work... is the only option cannibalizing a vintage alps board? Sorry if this was already covered in the thread, I didn't see an answer.
Infinity kits come with a 6u stab set. But the costar wire gauge is thicker than Alps stab wires, so I don't know if it would fit in Alps clips (it might bind up or break the clips).

Probably bending your own wire would be best.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #207 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 08:06:04 »

Infinity kits come with a 6u stab set. But the costar wire gauge is thicker than Alps stab wires, so I don't know if it would fit in Alps clips (it might bind up or break the clips).

Thanks. So to be clear I need: Alps plate clips (from Blues IC), costar MX cap inserts (to fit Alpine Winter) and then bend my own wire for the spacebar?

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #208 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 08:07:25 »

Thanks. So to be clear I need: Alps plate clips (from Blues IC), costar MX cap inserts (to fit Alpine Winter) and then bend my own wire for the spacebar?
Correct. Or find someone with leet wire bending skills. Last I checked, nickheller was going to try his hand at that.

My boards:
More

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #209 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 08:13:56 »

Correct. Or find someone with leet wire bending skills. Last I checked, nickheller was going to try his hand at that.
Cheers mate! I think I can probably manage bending one (to my own low standards)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #210 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 08:27:55 »
I know it was a little up in the air but, have we confirmed that the plates will work with Costar inserts?
The Costar inserts that snap into the plate? No, the plate will definitely NOT work with those.
I thought you were going to add those holes once you received the dimensions from Mr. Matias.

I will add the holes for the "Cherry" spacing for use with Costar-style (i.e. has the bend in the center for switch clearance) spring bars, and/or keycap stem spacing. I know, it's confusing. They still use the small plate inserts, identical to salvaged Alps stabilizer plate inserts.

IN NO CASE WILL COSTAR-TYPE PLATE INSERTS WORK WITH THESE PLATES.

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #211 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 08:29:42 »

I will add the holes for the "Cherry" spacing for use with Costar-style (i.e. has the bend in the center for switch clearance) spring bars. I know, it's confusing. They still use the small plate inserts, identical to salvaged Alps stabilizer plate inserts.

IN NO CASE WILL COSTAR-TYPE PLATE INSERTS WORK WITH THESE PLATES.
Got it, thanks.

Are we sure the 17AWG costar wires will work in the smaller Alps clips designed for 18AWG wire?

My boards:
More

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #212 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 08:34:31 »
Are we sure the 17AWG costar wires will work in the smaller Alps clips designed for 18AWG wire?

No, I haven't tried it.

Here is what the plate clips look like:

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #213 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 08:38:30 »
JD, do you know if the stab wires from an Apple M0115 are the correct size for the SP Alpine set?

Also, if someone did spacebar wires for the group, that would be greeeaaaat, mmmkay? (Bill Lumbergh voice)

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #214 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 08:39:09 »

No, I haven't tried it.

Here is what the plate clips look like:

Show Image

I have some spares of each. I'll try to test it today.

My boards:
More

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #215 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 08:41:37 »
JD, do you know if the stab wires from an Apple M0115 are the correct size for the SP Alpine set?

Also, if someone did spacebar wires for the group, that would be greeeaaaat, mmmkay? (Bill Lumbergh voice)

I don't have any SP Alps caps to try them with, so I really don't know. But from how the Matias stabilizers look, it would appear that you might need new spring bars (wires).

in memoriam

Offline scubaste

« Reply #216 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 16:52:02 »
I had to join for that HHKB plate option! Good stuff.

Offline jevvix

« Reply #217 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 21:49:05 »
Would the Massdrop Alps keys be 100% compatible with the AT101W plate being offered here with the use of a Matias stabilizer set?

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #218 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 21:57:57 »
Would the Massdrop Alps keys be 100% compatible with the AT101W plate being offered here with the use of a Matias stabilizer set?

Yes the plate is compatible with the caps.  But make a note on there you want the UNstepped capslock.

The stabs are also compatible with this set.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #219 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 06:43:09 »

Yes the plate is compatible with the caps.  But make a note on there you want the UNstepped capslock.

The Tai Hao spacebar has Cherry stab mounts. Does the Matias stab set account for that?

My boards:
More

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #220 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 10:21:00 »

The Tai Hao spacebar has Cherry stab mounts. Does the Matias stab set account for that?

Yep, it's got both cherry and alps stab adapters.
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 km²), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 km²),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #221 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 11:08:13 »
Bit late, but I made it to the Alps Party  :cool:  Blue HHKB to be dressed up with Alpine Winter  :thumb:

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #222 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 11:27:27 »
Too bad the number of switches sold isn't higher, but at least it's over the 0.25 threshold.
Very happy with the way the GB is going, thanks for all your work Blue :)

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #223 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 21:25:33 »
FYI: I started working on my aek (first one) and using the aekii plate - you should be aware that the space bar is flipped on the II from the I.  You can swap the mounts on the space bar but the wire will be too long so you will have to re-bend it.  It can be done, just wanted you to be aware.  The profile is a little different when it is backwards but its not bad. I may try to get into the AW group buy and get a couple space bars unless someone has a spare AEKII one.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #224 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 08:20:34 »
Finally jumped in for a couple of PCBs, an AEK II plate and a HHKB plate.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #225 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 12:12:17 »
Things are winding down for the order phase.  Everything is going really well so far.

The click switches and linear switches have passed the $0.20 price point, and the quiet click switches have passed the $0.18 price point.  The plates and PCBs are still WAAAY beyond the MOQ, and I'm happy there has been such a response.

The order form will close TOMORROW about this time/whenever I wake up and get my **** together.  So if you have been dawdling, now is the time to enter.  Invoices will go out as soon as I finish them, and we will move forward from there.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #226 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 12:19:32 »
Sweet. May the delivery god (Mercury?) smily upon us so we might have this stuff in hand by christmas!

Offline skaloola

« Reply #227 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 12:32:59 »
Hi,

Sorry for the probably silly question but I'm at a loss.

Regarding the powder coating option for the plate, wont the plate be covered / not visible?  Is there a functional reason to get my plates powder coated?

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #228 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 12:38:28 »
Hi,

Regarding the powder coating option for the plate, wont the plate be covered / not visible?  Is there a functional reason to get my plates powder coated?
Corrosion protection. But even with caps on, some bits of the plate will be visible. It's mostly a bling thing.

My boards:
More

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #229 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 12:45:35 »
Would love to get in but alas, money is tight until the end of the month.
I hope I can take over (part of) someone's order by the time these start coming in.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and these sweet, sweet Alps boards. :)
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #230 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 13:26:46 »
Which of these plates would work with the ovilette/dolch alps keycaps from mechanicalkeyboards.com?
I would assume the at101w as it is a standard ansi layout, is that correct?
oh yeah I saw that crazy **** if that doesn't win I'm deleting my account

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #231 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 13:44:07 »
Which of these plates would work with the ovilette/dolch alps keycaps from mechanicalkeyboards.com?
Correct.

My boards:
More

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #232 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 13:53:34 »
Correct.
Thanks, I think im ordering one then :)

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #233 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 13:54:26 »
Correct.
Thanks, I think im ordering one then :)
Make sure you specify non-stepped caps lock in the notes.

My boards:
More

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #234 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 14:11:08 »
Considering how far past the moq the plates are, is the price going to go down? I'm Canadian so we get screwed with prices... :(

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #235 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 14:20:08 »
Hi,

Corrosion protection. But even with caps on, some bits of the plate will be visible. It's mostly a bling thing.

It will be visible bling on the HHKB plate  :cool:

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #236 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 14:53:20 »
Hi,

It will be visible bling on the HHKB plate  :cool:

Was going to go HHKB style as well  :thumb:

Offline i0nC4nn0n

« Reply #237 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 14:56:53 »
Any options for cheap cases? I've been eyeing http://world.taobao.com/item/44521181795.htm for a while but I'm concerned on quality and the cost of the Taobao proxy's shipping to the USA so I never pulled the trigger.

I was thinking of getting this. I mean it states that it's "Compatoble PBT Keycaps" and it will "Match all 60 keyboard", it has all the features I need!
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 October 2015, 15:00:02 by i0nC4nn0n »
                    (placeholder for 60%)

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #238 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 16:05:37 »

I was thinking of getting this. I mean it states that it's "Compatoble PBT Keycaps" and it will "Match all 60 keyboard", it has all the features I need!
Looks good. Is there an alternative vendor for this case that accepts PayPal?

Offline i0nC4nn0n

« Reply #239 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 16:46:11 »

Looks good. Is there an alternative vendor for this case that accepts PayPal?

All i got, sorry, maybe ask the seller if he has paypal directly?
                    (placeholder for 60%)

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #240 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 17:18:49 »
One last question, this one is just my impatience. Roughly how long will it take to get to canada? I'm only ordering a plate and 70ish switches...
thanks.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #241 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 17:52:27 »
One last question, this one is just my impatience. Roughly how long will it take to get to canada? I'm only ordering a plate and 70ish switches...
thanks.

According to the gf, packages usually get to her in Winnipeg from here in 2-3 weeks.

Offline wakko

« Reply #242 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 18:46:22 »
In for a pcb and hhkb plate. thanks.
NOOB
KUL ES-87

Offline rand77

« Reply #243 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 20:11:26 »
Joined!  Looking forward to this one, I really love Alps switches.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #244 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 20:13:13 »
What is this crazy urge I'm having, making me want to order a third kit?

MUST...RESIST...THE WALLET...HACK

My boards:
More

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #245 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 20:19:31 »
I finally stopped ****ering around, dawdling, and ordered an at101w, click switches and caps from massdrop :D Although i feel my wallet tingling...

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #246 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 20:20:29 »
I finally stopped ****ering around, dawdling, and ordered an at101w, click switches and caps from massdrop :D Although i feel my wallet tingling...

That tingling feeling is your wallet telling you to buy Alpine Winter caps, too.

My boards:
More

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #247 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 20:22:10 »

That tingling feeling is your wallet telling you to buy Alpine Winter caps, too.
I would, and it would go great with my all blue setup, but I'm poor and on a budget. (by that i mean I'm in school still :P)

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #248 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 20:24:33 »
and I'm like everybody else, hoping for a crazy unique elephant artisan... FOR ALPS!

now all we need is a mountain alps keycap to impale our fingers on!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #249 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 20:25:30 »
and I'm like everybody else, hoping for a crazy unique elephant artisan... FOR ALPS!

now all we need is a mountain alps keycap to impale our fingers on!

njbair has requested that from me for his buy...I'm still trying to see if there's a way to do it where it wouldn't look and feel awful.