Author Topic: Create a Keyset Design board  (Read 5674 times)

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
Create a Keyset Design board
« on: Sun, 14 March 2021, 18:57:51 »
With the influx of new people joining the hobby since the start of covid we've also gotten a lot of new people who want to design keysets and post ICs to the Interest Check board. Times have changed, and we typically expect an IC to have more than just a KLE or blender render. We want to see kits that have some thought put into them, high quality renders, Pantone or RAL colors for reference, and the list goes on.

Unfortunately, a lot of ICs posted by these new members don't align with what we expect a proper IC to have. Many of these posts are met with jokes, and in some rare cases outright hostility. Sadly, many groups outside of Geekhack view this forum and it's members as toxic because of this. I've meme'd on these posts, too, so I'd be lying if I said I wasn't complicit in this behavior. As a result, some of these people leave and never come back.

What I'm proposing is simple: create a separate board for people who just want to discuss their keyset design ideas and get some constructive feedback. The key difference is that we don't put it in the Marketplace category. I don't think it occurs to many of the individuals who make these posts that they need to approach posting an IC with the mindset of sharing a product to check community interest in buying that product. Sure, that might be their ultimate goal, but often they come in with undeveloped ideas and see the IC board as a way to get feedback on those ideas, when really, that's not the purpose of the board. We know that, and they don't. So let's give these people a place to develop these ideas, and then when they're ready, post an IC.

Edit: also, I'm aware of the "Making stuff together!" board. But the board doesn't get that much traffic, and I feel like it's overly broad for this purpose.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 March 2021, 19:04:56 by nu_types »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: Create a Keyset Design board
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 14 March 2021, 20:24:40 »
I think this is a good idea. There is certainly a need for a pre-IC phase of ideating. And I think you're correct to say that it is different from Making Stuff Together, since that's more focused on crafting hardware and other such things (the lack of activity is not something that would influence this decision, if it's worth mentioning).

Will definitely take this into consideration when the new Marketplace rules are completed and implemented. :thumb:

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
Re: Create a Keyset Design board
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 03:06:30 »
I definitely think this is necessary. ICs have really changed meaning over the years. Now, pre-IC is more the old IC definition.