Author Topic: Gateron Blacks versus Cherry MX Blacks  (Read 111552 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Gateron Blacks versus Cherry MX Blacks
« on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 18:15:05 »

Table of Contents
Soundtrack
Intro
Background
General Comparison between MX Blacks and Gateron Blacks
Testing
Final Thoughts

Soundtrack
If you really want to get into my head for this review, maybe you’d like to put these tunes on while you read. This is some of what I was listening to when I was working on this review.

Mutoid Man’s set from Vacation Vinyl 2014

RIP to Rotting Out and here’s to hoping that Mutoid Man tours more often.

Intro
In late 2014 and early 2015,  an influx of Cherry MX keyswitch clones hit the mechanical keyboard market.  Razer introduced their Green and Orange switches, which are manufactured by Kailh. To me, they’re different from the Kailh Browns and Blues which seem to go for a more direct copy of the MX switches. Goate has more switches coming out. But it’s Gaterons that have seem to become the most popular of these new clones; although Kailh switches besides the Razer switches seem to be well received.I’ve been trying to get a hold and test as many of these MX clones as I could. Thanks to hwood34 and jdcarpe, I have a bunch of Gateron Blacks which will be integral to this review.  Previously I did a spring swap with Cherry MX Black switches so this review will be similar to that. I have a bunch of gold springs (Thanks Photoelectric), a bunch of Gaterons, and a bunch of Krytox lubricant. Let’s do some testing.

Background
It was a little hard hunting down information about Gateron so this may not be 100% accurate. This is the best I could find and I’ll share it with that warning.

According to this website which seems to compile information on Chinese manufacturers, Gateron is a brand owned by Huizhou Jia Yang Electronics (HJYE). The Gateron brand is the switch manufacturer and the b2b168 site lists “keyboard switch” and “mechanical keyboard switch” as a main product. This datasheet seems to refer to Gateron as a company on it’s own but I couldn’t find any information on the Gateron Electronic Technology Co. LTD.  The Gateron brand being owned by HJYE seems to correspond with the information on their website and information from Zeal; Zeal seems to have a business relationship with them in some capacity. Gateron seems to have a website setup which can be found here. I previously didn't see this so it might be new. I also haven't Google Translated it but it looks like you cannot order anything off it. Please correct me if this isn't the case though.

Setup
Now that we’re bored reading about some business nonsense ;), let’s move on to more interesting stuff. I have the following springs:

-   55g lubed gold
-   62g lubed gold
-   60g lubed gold
-   65g lubed gold
-   Stock MX Black spring with no lube
-   Stock Gateron Black spring with no lube
-   Stock lubed Gateron Black spring

And as a direct comparison, I have the following MX switches on hand:

-   Stock lubed MX Black switches in a Razer Orbweaver
-   65g lubed MX Black switches in an Epsilon keyboard
-   A single Nixdorf switch gifted from Hzza
-   Vintage MX Blacks (lubed and stock)

I then have made a little switch tester with the following layout. The switch tester is from Spamray but it’s simply a plate with M7 switches from eBay. The plate will hold MX and MX clones just fine. It’s mounted on a piece of thick Styrofoam.

General Comparison – MX Blacks vs Gateron Blacks
The first thing I noticed when I compare the two switches is how refined the Gateron switches feel in comparison to the MX. The MX Blacks feel a little rough and you can feel the stem’s friction points. The Gateron Blacks feel truly linear and smoother. Even compared to the lubricated vintage MX Blacks, I still prefer the Gateron Blacks.  In fact, I said when I got the switches and I was messing with them, I said that the stock Gateron Blacks feel remarkably like the Nixdorf Black that I have. I continue to maintain this. For me, the stock and lubed stock Gateron Blacks are the closest switches to Nixdorfs without being Nixdorfs. And a keyboard enthusiast can actually get their hands on Gateron Blacks unlike the nearly impossible to find Nixdorfs. I should stress that by find, I mean getting the chance to pay for Nixdorf switches for an affordable, reasonable price. 

I will say that I do like the MX Black springs and they’re nearly the same as the Gateron Black springs. I didn’t notice a difference between the springs when I swapped the two. I also noticed that the MX Black switches seem to wobble more than the Gateron Blacks. But both have wobble. It helps to make off-centered strikes on the switch feel smoother.

Testing

- 55g gold spring lubed Gateron Black: I’ve tried 55g springs before, but they were normal and not gold plated. The other springs I’ve tried were far too light for me. Laughably light. Here the springs are still too light for me but there’s a little twist.

These gold plated springs feel light but they feel a little more responsive than the non-gold spring. A little springier and and maybe a little more “cushiony” on the bottom out like MX Clear springs. This is a running theme for the rest of the gold springs and the review.

- 60g gold spring lubed Gateron Black: These are still too light for my tastes and I actually think that the bottom out on these are the harshest of all the spring swaps. There is minimal cushion feeling as well.

- 62g gold spring lubed Gateron Black: For me this is the lighest spring I would use. If I recall correctly, there was special attention given to these when looking to make a spring for modified MX Clears. It reminds me of a lighter version of the MX Clear spring; there are similar bottom-out feeling and wonderfully springy. It’s still a touch light for me but I think I understand why gold-plated 62g springs are so popular.

- 65g gold spring lubed Gateron Black: 65g has always been my favorite aftermarket spring and it continues to be so. The weight is just right for me; a proper balance of a light touch but just heavy enough. As I’ve said multiple times, I prefer heavier switches. Again, the feeling of cushiony bottom out and smoothness is present. But it’s not as cushiony as say the MX Clear springs.

- Stock lubed Gateron Black: This is my new favorite linear MX-based switch. It’s a little lighter than a stock Nixdorf switch but it feels incredible.  It’s the closest MX switch I’ve found to complicated Green Alps which are my second favorite linear switch after Hall Effect (but unlike HE switches, I can use them over USB). They’re a touch lighter than MX Blacks and the rebound doesn’t have as much resistance as the stock Gateron switches. The actuation force is smooth. Easily the smoothest MX-based experience I’ve tried. I will be getting rid of my MX Blacks that I’ve stocked away and I’ll be swapping my Epsilon switches for Gaterons. Since the Razer Blackwidow is a pain to take apart, I’m going to keep it together but I’d love to swap those out as well.

- Stock Gateron Black: A really really really nice linear MX-based experience. I highly recommend that if you’re too lazy, intimidated, or don’t have the time to mod your switches, just use these. The rebound is a little stiffer versus the lubed stock blacks and the actuation force takes a little more effort. But overall, this is a very nice linear switch. Much better than a stock MX Black or vintage MX Black in my opinion.

Final Thoughts
I’m over MX Blacks. I enjoyed them; I stocked up on them; I thought they were great linear switches. I also picked them up because I really enjoyed the springs and used them in other switch modifications. But something else came along that to me that feels better. I wasn’t as enthusiastic about some of the other clones I’ve tried because they didn’t do anything for me. But the Gateron Blacks are definitely an upgrade for me and definitely excites me. I hunted for Nixdorfs for a while and now I don’t have to. And I’m very happy that all I have to do is lube the stock switches and I’m good to go. Hell, I could use the stock switches and I’d be happy. Again, shoutouts to jdcarpe, Photoelectric, Hzza, and hwood34 for their help with this review.

I would be happy to do more comparisons with the Gaterons and the switches I’ve shown in the Setup so please let me know if you’d like any more opinions or thoughts on this topic from me.

And for more information on Gateron Blacks, please check out some other reviews and writeups such as these. You can also see sprit's post which has many other helpful links.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 April 2015, 09:31:03 by CPTBadAss »

Offline wlhlm

• ~
Re: Gateron Blacks versus Cherry MX Blacks
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 18:35:36 »
 :eek: Thank you very much for the detailed review! :thumb:

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 18:39:00 »
Nice write up.

I really want to try these. I have vintage blacks and the idea that something could feel better in easier to find new stock is really very appealing to me. This is the planned switch I have for my next custom build involving MX. I'm going to try for some GB extras right now.
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 18:42:36 »
I could send 4 your way to let you test them out FreeCopy. PM me if you're interested.

And as always, thanks for taking the time to read my reviews. I really enjoy writing them and I always hope that someone will find it helpful in some way :).

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 18:47:46 »
What lube did you use for the switches?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 18:50:21 »
What lube did you use for the switches?

I used a mix of Krytox 205 and 103 that I picked up from mkawa.
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 April 2015, 18:52:51 by CPTBadAss »

Offline wazup

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 18:52:49 »
As someone eyeing gateron black switches to build my first keyboard this was very helpful, as it calms any fears about being disappointed by the switch quality.  Thanks for the comparison and review!
||  Ducky 9008 G2 (MX Brown)  ||  Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red)  ||  Monoprice 9433 (MX Blue)  ||  IBM Model M ('90)  ||  Apple Extended Keyboard II ('90©, cream damped Alps)  ||  Apple M0110A ('87, Mitsumi)  ||

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 18:54:18 »
Been rocking 65g lubed gaterons (clears but the stem appear to be similar) for two weeks now, I'm still fairly new to the game but this is my favorite switches.
After trying stock Gateron blacks, I think it's not worth spending time lubing them considering how little of an improvment it is compared to stocks.
Unless you want another weight than stock blacks ofc.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 19:51:42 »
amazing review! :D
Seems that I've not made a bad choice. Got a couple of Gateron Blacks coming + I'm gonna replace them with 62g's when they're here :D
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 20:08:33 »
nice right up!
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Sniping

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 20:12:39 »
GH Panavise?? And I love the keycaps on your KMAC.

It's interesting to see how much success Gateron switches have had in the keyboard community. I feel like it has also served as a sort of gateway drug to other clones, but I'm glad that everyone is being more open-minded about clones now. I like the Gateron linears a lot too.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 20:16:20 »
GH Panavise?? And I love the keycaps on your KMAC.

Uh yeah...GH Panavise. I may have gone a little too hard with that when I joined that GB for them. Regardless, I love it so much. Very handy.

And thanks. I shamelessly stole the idea from VesperSAINT.

It's interesting to see how much success Gateron switches have had in the keyboard community. I feel like it has also served as a sort of gateway drug to other clones, but I'm glad that everyone is being more open-minded about clones now. I like the Gateron linears a lot too.

I had the same idea. I think a lot of the Gateron reception is how it was initially presented to the community. And it's not the first clone so people have had a little time to get used to the idea that the MX Clones aren't all bad.

Offline Natemiester

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 21:23:08 »
Excellent comparison, in-depth, clear, and well written. Would you consider doing some other Gateron/Cherry comparisons, like the browns and blues?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 21:25:06 »
Excellent comparison, in-depth, clear, and well written. Would you consider doing some other Gateron/Cherry comparisons, like the browns and blues?

I only have the Gateron Blacks in bulk and 4 Gateron Blues right now so I don't really have the ability to do any other comparisons. I will say that the Gateron Blues that I have feel a lot like Cherry Blues and Kailh Blues. Nothing exciting or radically different.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 22:27:20 »
Thanks for the write-up, Cap'n. Good to know my initial feelings toward the Gateron blacks are confirmed. A great linear switch to use stock most times, or with lube to make them extra special. As a fellow 65g linear lover, it's nice to hear that you, too, prefer stock Gaterons over them.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 22:34:42 »
Were any of your springs scratchy?  Both my 60g and 62g springs make an annoying scratch noise when I was trying to figure out which one worked best with linear for me =/
Hi :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 22:36:38 »
Nope, I didn't have any scratchy springs. That's actually the first time I've heard of that issue.

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 22:49:29 »
I could send 4 your way to let you test them out FreeCopy. PM me if you're interested.

And as always, thanks for taking the time to read my reviews. I really enjoy writing them and I always hope that someone will find it helpful in some way :).

Thanks, CPT! I appreciate the offer but it looks like I got myself some extras. Thanks again for the review. Really motivated me to jump in for them. Now to configure a build to put them with :thumb:
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 02:11:42 »
I really wish I haven't read this review, now I feel like I should get some Gateron blacks too :)

The blurry clear cases are the only thing that's preventing me, the MX black cases seem cooler, better looking when exposed, they could be cooler than MX's with some clear tops tho, like the ones zealpc is selling
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 03:45:54 »
I really wish I haven't read this review, now I feel like I should get some Gateron blacks too :)
Gateron GB is taking additional orders ;)

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 07:20:09 »
As someone who ordered Gateron Blacks and wanted to put MX Blacks into the Orion v2 I thank you very much for this review! Will definately put gaterons in it now!

Offline Battou62

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 10:45:25 »
Dat WoB/Dolch split on that Kmac is sexual.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 11:18:27 »
Nice review CPTBadAss -- as usual.  :thumb:

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 19:13:07 »
TY CPTBadAss for such a nice review. MX Blacks are my favorite switch and I can't wait to see how these feel. I'm certain I'll be making the switch sooner rather than later. :thumb:

Offline yomammary

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 08:01:39 »
Good job. Very interesting read!
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline zeroswitch

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 10:57:08 »
As someone eyeing gateron black switches to build my first keyboard this was very helpful, as it calms any fears about being disappointed by the switch quality.  Thanks for the comparison and review!

I'm also wondering this as well, is it safe to assume that Cherry MX == Gateron with regards to quality?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 10:58:42 »
No. I wouldn't assume anything about Gateron quality until the switches have been used long term and we see how they hold up. They seem to be good now and I'll be installing them to a)  enjoy them b) see how they hold up long term.

Offline daviswalkers

• HHKB Amature 2
    • Graphic Design Portfolio
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 01:14:12 »
One of the better review's I've read on any site I'll be looking for more of your reviews soon (assuming there are more)

My only question being have you used/do you have any Gateron clears or do you simply know the difference between their clears/blacks, I ordered a bunch of the clears from the recent group buy simply because a clear stem w/ clear housing seems like the best option for me I thought I read somewhere it was the same as blacks w/ a different spring but that seems silly to me.

Compact-SQ |          VE.A
 65g Zealios    |      78g Zealios

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 12:10:08 »
One of the better review's I've read on any site I'll be looking for more of your reviews soon (assuming there are more)

I've written a few reviews if you'd like to check them out.

My only question being have you used/do you have any Gateron clears or do you simply know the difference between their clears/blacks, I ordered a bunch of the clears from the recent group buy simply because a clear stem w/ clear housing seems like the best option for me I thought I read somewhere it was the same as blacks w/ a different spring but that seems silly to me.

I haven't used the Gateron Clears yet personally. They are linear Gaterons and I believe they're like 35g instead of 60g? So like how MX Reds are vs MX Blacks. I didn't want to mess with swapping springs and I don't see a point in having a clear stem and housing for something I'll see maybe once every three months and photograph once.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 13:12:44 »

Imo aside from color, clear and black stem are similar. It's very hard to see if there's a smoothness difference between the 2 switches because of how light clears are but my gateron clear in 65g are very close to the gateron blacks I've tested.

I think people will do further testing once we all recieve the gaterons.

It seems silly to me aswell since I fail to see the usage of a 35g switch but well GH ordered 20K+ of them in the GB so I guess people see usage of it.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline daviswalkers

• HHKB Amature 2
    • Graphic Design Portfolio
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 15:53:59 »

Imo aside from color, clear and black stem are similar. It's very hard to see if there's a smoothness difference between the 2 switches because of how light clears are but my gateron clear in 65g are very close to the gateron blacks I've tested.

I think people will do further testing once we all recieve the gaterons.

It seems silly to me aswell since I fail to see the usage of a 35g switch but well GH ordered 20K+ of them in the GB so I guess people see usage of it.

Well I know the majority of the people are doing it for the ascetic reasons like myself, I have some 62g springs waiting for the switches to switch them out

Compact-SQ |          VE.A
 65g Zealios    |      78g Zealios

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 12:27:34 »
Just one not very relevant observation...

I notice SpamRay's switch tester is filled with self portraits...  :p
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 09:32:07 »
Update: Thanks to sprit's post, I've added a little more information to Gateron's background as well as adding a link for further reading.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 10:04:19 »
Am quite keen to know the difference between how lasting and reliable these switches are.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline animated

• uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 15:15:52 »
I'm really excited for my switches to come in.  CPTBadAss would you recommend lubing the switches, does it make a noticeable difference?
Das Browns, Filco Reds, Filco Blues, Leopold FC750R Reds, B.87 and B.Pad Gateron Blacks 65G Korean Springs, Varmillo VA87MR Gateron Blacks w/ Aluminum Case

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 15:18:40 »
I'm really excited for my switches to come in.  CPTBadAss would you recommend lubing the switches, does it make a noticeable difference?
The amount of work is not worth the gains on gaterons.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 15:21:52 »

Lol read the review. My opinion is clearly stated in there.

Offline animated

• uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 18:00:04 »

Lol read the review. My opinion is clearly stated in there.

Sorry, for some reason I kept stopping at 65g lubed and didn't go any lower.  Thanks Cpt!

The amount of work is not worth the gains on gaterons.

Thanks for the response, really helps my decision  :)
Das Browns, Filco Reds, Filco Blues, Leopold FC750R Reds, B.87 and B.Pad Gateron Blacks 65G Korean Springs, Varmillo VA87MR Gateron Blacks w/ Aluminum Case

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 19:37:26 »
I see you swapped the sliders between an MX black and a Gateron black switch on your tester, but didn’t comment on the results. What was each of those franken-switches like?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 19:55:50 »
I see you swapped the sliders between an MX black and a Gateron black switch on your tester, but didn’t comment on the results. What was each of those franken-switches like?

The Cherry stem with Gateron housing still has a bit more resistance and friction versus the Gateron Stem with Cherry housing.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 20:03:23 »
The Cherry stem with Gateron housing still has a bit more resistance and friction versus the Gateron Stem with Cherry housing.

So in other words:
C-S + C-H < C-S + G-H < G-S + C-H < G-S + G-H < green Alps?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 20:30:44 »
Sure haha. That would work. You left out Hall Effect at the end though :P

Offline sprit

•  Post Editing Timeout
  • Location: The Geek Symphosion :::::: Mechanical Engineering ::: Alta Magna Uniforma :::::: 哀吾生之須臾羨長江之無窮 ::
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 02:39:49 »
Update: Thanks to sprit's post, I've added a little more information to Gateron's background as well as adding a link for further reading.
Thanks CPT!   anything Chinese can be googled on www.baidu.com

It looks nice, But I have no confidence yet for the reliability on Gateron's  mechanisms inside.
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 April 2015, 04:02:42 by sprit »

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 13:40:01 »
Thanks for the excellent review.

Recently, I acquired a custom 60% board with Gateron Yellow switches, and I like it very much. This surprised me, because I have tried every type of Cherry mx switch, and I have not liked any of them.

The Gateron Yellows are extremely smooth -- no scratchiness whatsoever. They are also just about the right weight, as I found Cherry Reds too light and Cherry Blacks too heavy.

However, with thick PBT keycaps, the Gateron Yellows feel as if they might be just a tad too light, so the slightly higher bottoming-out weight of Gateron Blacks might be just right. I would like to try Gateron Blacks next, and your review agrees with my prediction.

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
  • "You miss 100% of the shots you take." -S. Trooper
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 21:02:22 »
Wow you went in depth. Loved this. Was a great read!
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline ap0k

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 05:48:33 »
love the rotting out shout out.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 13:42:33 »
In general i would concur and say that i find Cherry MX Blacks rougher than most competing alternatives.  Honestly even the Outemu Black switches on my Magiforce feel a bit smoother than the Cherry Blacks on my KBP.

Cherry quality is not what it used to be.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline Shikarikato

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 03 September 2016, 21:06:27 »
does this count as a necro?
CPT do you have any suggestions on where to get a 62 and 65g Spring? I want to test them because after trying gateron blacks I fell in love with how smooth they are they're just a tad too heavy
I really appreciate the review as well, I would probably prefer 62g but it wouldn't hurt to try both I guess

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 03 September 2016, 22:22:44 »
Mechanicalkeyboards.com sell Cherry mx springs in various weights, including 62g. Their weights correspond to the US method, which is the actuation weight. Korean springs use the bottoming-out weight.

If you like Gateron Black but find it slightly too heavy, you might like Gateron Yellow -- they are very smooth. They have an actuation weight about the same as Gateron Black, but their bottoming-out weight is slightly less.

Offline zacheadams

• Friendly Neighborhood Keyboard Enthusiast
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 11:45:46 »
Thanks for the writeup.  I ordered Gateron Blacks on my TADA68 after finding my brother's MX Reds to be a little on the light side but wanting my own "quiet" MX-compatible board to take to work, I think the Black switches will be perfect.