Author Topic: (US) eBay: IBM Model M (silver label)  (Read 3066 times)

Offline 1391406

(US) eBay: IBM Model M (silver label)
« on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 08:44:48 »
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: (US) eBay: IBM Model M (silver label)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 08:57:26 »
Good news for our South American friends.

Price would be high for a comparable 1390120 here, but they are probably hard to find in Chile.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 09:01:50 »
Silver labels are my favorite Model M. I would get this if I didn't have one already.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 14:40:52 »
Its my sell and as somebody said, it's in pristine condition, it's almost impossible to find around here. In fact that's the first one I've seen live. I've not had the chance to see the industrial model yet but I keep going after them

« Last Edit: Fri, 24 May 2013, 15:16:05 by Mandolin »
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Due chihuahua and demoncat orders
- Boobiecaps
- Optic fiber embedded keycaps
- Others

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 18:42:07 »
My NIB 1390120 was $58.40 shipped, but of course all NIB model M's seem to be riddled with broken rivets... (And a broken in half barrel frame in my case...) But after repairing it, it and it's NIB 131 brother are my favorite clicky tactile boards (**** blues).

That is a nice find you have there, but a starting bid of $100? Really? It's not even NIB...
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline Riddixk51PB

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 18:44:07 »
i wouldn't bid 50 cents on it, never liked that sort of enter key.
KBD: CM Storm QuickFire Pro, Cherry MX Brown
Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD (Avago ADNS-9800 High-Performance LaserStream™)

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 18:45:33 »
i wouldn't bid 50 cents on it, never liked that sort of enter key.

Then you would be a dumbass. You can rearrange the layout back to ANSI when you bolt-mod it.
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline 1391406

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 19:22:49 »
About the only enter key I've had a real issue with is the one for the Model F XT.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 21:39:43 »
My NIB 1390120 was $58.40 shipped, but of course all NIB model M's seem to be riddled with broken rivets... (And a broken in half barrel frame in my case...) But after repairing it, it and it's NIB 131 brother are my favorite clicky tactile boards (**** blues).

That is a nice find you have there, but a starting bid of $100? Really? It's not even NIB...
My 1390120 wasn't NIB, but it only had three broken rivets. Maybe their riveting machine was better in the early production days, or maybe mine is just very lightly used
http://i.imm.io/11OCn.jpeg

The_Ed is right: modifying an M from ANSI to ISO (or vice-versa) is very easy once one has done a bolt mod.

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 21:43:56 »

My 1390120 wasn't NIB, but it only had three broken rivets. Maybe their riveting machine was better in the early production days, or maybe mine is just very lightly used
http://i.imm.io/11OCn.jpeg

The_Ed is right: modifying an M from ANSI to ISO (or vice-versa) is very easy once one has done a bolt mod.

Mine is 02SEP86 though... I imagine why the NIB ones are more likely to have broken rivets is because people played floor hockey with them in all the warehouses of all the failed businesses they went through first, and then USPS drops them another few times before kicking them to our doors.
R.I.P.ster

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 17:22:56 »
You never can tell.

I bought a 1986 1390131 about 2 years ago and ALL of the rivets were intact. I could hardly believe my eyes.

I think it may have to do with the pressure setting - if the rivets were simply melted over without being in tension they might last longer.

In other words, if the press that crunched the plates together was set looser, then rivets had less tendency to break.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 21:45:49 »
You never can tell.

I bought a 1986 1390131 about 2 years ago and ALL of the rivets were intact. I could hardly believe my eyes.

I think it may have to do with the pressure setting - if the rivets were simply melted over without being in tension they might last longer.

In other words, if the press that crunched the plates together was set looser, then rivets had less tendency to break.

In other words: Either the rivets are tight and break, or they are loose and intact. But you need to bolt-mod it either way to get crisp actuation from a tight fit.
R.I.P.ster

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 00:31:43 »
In this case I checked it and it got maybe 3 rivets off and one poped out when I touched it, the rest are super sturdy, but I've gotten later models that simply got almost every rivet off. Maybe early construction is more solid, at least in my experience, but in any case any serious user might want to do the bolt mod to get it impecable for posterity.

Also in this silver label kbds the clicky sound is different, the ones who have tested might recognize it. It kind of reverberates less, each actuation gives a more solid clack, don't know how to express it neutrally.
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 May 2013, 00:44:01 by Mandolin »
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Due chihuahua and demoncat orders
- Boobiecaps
- Optic fiber embedded keycaps
- Others

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 02:43:20 »
Also in this silver label kbds the clicky sound is different, the ones who have tested might recognize it. It kind of reverberates less, each actuation gives a more solid clack, don't know how to express it neutrally.
The really old model M's have a different and much thicker plate. Even before I bolt modded it, my 1390120 sounded different than my unicomp. My non-bolt modded M has about 12 rivets that are intact (ever 30 broken) so I don't think it's a fair comparison.

Post bolt-mod, the thick plate IBM sounds excellent and feels nice, though the actuation point is now almost at the bottom of the keystroke. I suspect this is partly due to the new (much thinner) unicomp mat I installed.

Anyway, I don't know what such a well-kept and interesting M is worth, but there's no denying that this is an excellent keyboard.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 08:31:55 »

Post bolt-mod, the thick plate IBM sounds excellent and feels nice, though the actuation point is now almost at the bottom of the keystroke. I suspect this is partly due to the new (much thinner) unicomp mat I installed.

The back plate was thinned-down about 1987-88 and then again about 1992. Maybe one more time, I once had a late-1990s that seemed incredibly thin.

Vader - I have a new Unicomp mat (white) that I have been meaning to put into my "pride and joy" Model M (a 1986 1390131 with all the upgrades) because some people (mkawa and others, iirc) described it as "springier" and more crisp.

But, lowering the actuation point would be a disappointment for me, I would rather raise it, if anything. Could you elaborate?

Also, do you tighten your bolts hard? I leave mine pretty loose, I would say, to keep the feel livelier.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 22:58:32 »

The back plate was thinned-down about 1987-88 and then again about 1992. Maybe one more time, I once had a late-1990s that seemed incredibly thin.

Vader - I have a new Unicomp mat (white) that I have been meaning to put into my "pride and joy" Model M (a 1986 1390131 with all the upgrades) because some people (mkawa and others, iirc) described it as "springier" and more crisp.

But, lowering the actuation point would be a disappointment for me, I would rather raise it, if anything. Could you elaborate?

Also, do you tighten your bolts hard? I leave mine pretty loose, I would say, to keep the feel livelier.
Sure! Right after I finished it, I noticed the actuation point was lower for almost all keys (right ctrl not included). I still don't know why this happened. There is a small crack in the barrel plate in the numberpad area, but it isn't affecting anything (luckily it's not near switches)

That said It's not as far off from my other BS keyboards. I just tried a few model F's I have sitting around, and I notice they actuate pretty low, too.

My bolts are pretty tight, I may decide to loosen them soon.

Despite the actuation point feeling rather low, I don't bottom out often. If anything, it's less frequent. I much prefer the feel with the new mat.