Author Topic: Bolt Modded Industrial SSK - $1,150 BIN  (Read 9634 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Bolt Modded Industrial SSK - $1,150 BIN
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 07:13:50 »

I think it may be a kind of low-level anxiety. You feel compelled to have something because you hate the idea of someone else having something you don't. It has very little to do with the item itself; it's more about the lack of it.

There's a great movie called "The Gods Must Be Crazy"

The collector's motivation is somewhat different from greed or hoarding, I think. In my opinion, it is more "tangible" in that the person who wants a collection, of whatever, will value (and probably, but not necessarily) and appreciate the things he is collecting.

Greed, as for money, is mainly accumulating more and more of an indiscriminate commodity, just to have it.

And, in the movie, the tribesmen were not trying to hoard or express greed, they just loved the Coke bottle because it was such a useful tool.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline 1391406

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 14:14:58 »
I think IBM keyboards are awesome because they're so well made and feel (and sound!) so good to type on. But pay over $1K for one because it's gray rather than beige? Well, it's a free country—but if that's the kind of thing you do to feel meaningful, maybe you should try getting out and doing some volunteering.  :?|

It's all a matter of perspective. $1,000 on a certain color of keyboard is nothing compared to the collector who spends hundreds of thousands (or millions) on an original painting vs. a print.

However, if that's the kind of thing someone does to feel meaningful, who are you or anyone else to judge? Further, without knowing the motives of the person who's buying it, it's all conjecture anyway. Not that it really matters why anyone would spend that much. There are people who'd say the same thing about anyone who's willing to spend more than $20 on a keyboard. This particular hobby (keyboards) makes about as much sense to them as the person who's willing to part with $1,000+ for that Industrial SSK does to you or the guy who spends thousands on an original painting. Again, the world of collecting often has little to do with practical value and everything to do with factors you'd consider superficial. But then, some people who buy high priced keyboards don't simply pack them away in a closet; they use them.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 20:28:36 »
I think IBM keyboards are awesome because they're so well made and feel (and sound!) so good to type on. But pay over $1K for one because it's gray rather than beige? Well, it's a free country—but if that's the kind of thing you do to feel meaningful, maybe you should try getting out and doing some volunteering.  :?|

It's all a matter of perspective. $1,000 on a certain color of keyboard is nothing compared to the collector who spends hundreds of thousands (or millions) on an original painting vs. a print.

However, if that's the kind of thing someone does to feel meaningful, who are you or anyone else to judge? Further, without knowing the motives of the person who's buying it, it's all conjecture anyway. Not that it really matters why anyone would spend that much. There are people who'd say the same thing about anyone who's willing to spend more than $20 on a keyboard. This particular hobby (keyboards) makes about as much sense to them as the person who's willing to part with $1,000+ for that Industrial SSK does to you or the guy who spends thousands on an original painting. Again, the world of collecting often has little to do with practical value and everything to do with factors you'd consider superficial. But then, some people who buy high priced keyboards don't simply pack them away in a closet; they use them.

I think that's one of my hangups....if I had a board this rare and expensive, I'd be afraid to use it. So what's the point?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 22:24:19 »

I think that's one of my hangups....if I had a board this rare and expensive, I'd be afraid to use it. So what's the point?

The same point as anyone that has a collection with rare and expensive pieces.  Look at Jay Leno's garage for one instance.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline 1391406

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 22:35:41 »

It depends on who you ask. For some people, owning a certain item might connect them to their childhood, a certain point in history, or some part of their past. The motive might be purely nostalgic or fueled by monetary gain. There's definitely an emotional component for many people; it's not so much about the money or what it can do but how it makes them feel to own it. For others, it's the thrill of the hunt and the satisfaction of completing a collection. All sorts of antiques are collected purely for admiration rather than practical use. There are all sorts of reasons. Either way, whatever the reason, if someone's willing to spend their entire fortune on a multi-colored toothpick, is it really any of my business? While I might find certain investments somewhat interesting or amusing, I don't really care how people spend their money. I certainly don't blame the seller for a buyers decision to spend an outrageous sum, unless fraud was involved.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline a Horde of Penguins

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 17:55:27 »
But, in the blender world, the Vita-Mix is the Model M while the Blendtec https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBUJcD6Ws6s is is the Model F.
I always wondered if the Blendtec blenders are actually any good or if it's just an extremely brilliant marketing campaign. :rolleyes:

Had one for years >_> so they may not be godly, but they definitely work.