Author Topic: Solution to put alps keycaps on cherry switch??  (Read 4481 times)

Offline wonderp

Solution to put alps keycaps on cherry switch??
« on: Fri, 02 July 2021, 21:07:51 »
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone knew of a adapter/stem that would allow me to put Alps mount keycaps on a cherry switch, or, any kind of switches that will go into a cherry pcb but have Alps stems.

The reason for this is because my dad works as a TV Editor, and he uses a program called AVID Media Composer and about 20 years ago, they made keycap sets that were labeled with shortcuts. They are alps mount so he bought an apple keyboard with alps mount rubber domes.

I want to build him a keyboard using these keycaps, but make it a good one with cherry mx style switches that I have tuned for him. Is there any way for me to get him his keycaps on a cherry switch or will I just have to custom print some cherry mount ones?
I bought a Razer keyboard and I regret my purchase with every word I type. That’s twenty three regrets just for this signature.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
Re: Solution to put alps keycaps on cherry switch??
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 05:55:39 »
Unfortunately I don't think this is possible, that I'm aware.

Offline Lanrefni

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 10 July 2021, 17:44:27 »
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone knew of a adapter/stem that would allow me to put Alps mount keycaps on a cherry switch, or, any kind of switches that will go into a cherry pcb but have Alps stems.

The reason for this is because my dad works as a TV Editor, and he uses a program called AVID Media Composer and about 20 years ago, they made keycap sets that were labeled with shortcuts. They are alps mount so he bought an apple keyboard with alps mount rubber domes.

I want to build him a keyboard using these keycaps, but make it a good one with cherry mx style switches that I have tuned for him. Is there any way for me to get him his keycaps on a cherry switch or will I just have to custom print some cherry mount ones?

Those keycaps Should fit on an AEK II,you can find them in great condition on Ebay for $100-200 and the Cream damped Alps switches are actually pretty nice.
You can also grab an ADB to USB adapter for $20-50 or build your own for like $10 if you have a Pro Micro and an S-video cable laying around,it's really easy.

Offline keith1fletcher

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 August 2021, 08:46:25 »

The best switches for a steno keyboard are cherry variants modded to extremely light weights... For keycaps for steno with mechanical switches we are currently pretty much limited to the G20s.

Offline SilitekModder

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 September 2021, 17:36:57 »
Outemu has made ALPS-mount blue switches.