Author Topic: [GB] F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! Kishsaver+Industrial Model F  (Read 2356573 times)

Offline Quackles

Re: [GB] F62+F77 orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards
« Reply #550 on: Thu, 24 November 2016, 03:32:15 »
Damn they look fantastic. Like everyone else, I enjoy seeing the red case as it is my favourite colour. Makes me reconsider my industrial grey! Although I do like the idea of having a more classic look in grey.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #551 on: Thu, 24 November 2016, 03:42:41 »
Man those pics really are sexy, all the colours are looking so good. Seeing the industrial grey under low light I wish we had pitched a gun metal grey option or something like that too.

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
« Reply #552 on: Thu, 24 November 2016, 23:44:14 »
Here is a breakdown of the 348 F62/F77 keyboards ordered so far, by general flipper placement/PCB type.

Overall we have 170 US ANSI, 150 HHKB style, 27 ISO, and 1 DVORAK.

166   ANSI Enter (default - horizontal Enter key)
81   HHKB-Style Split Right Shift and Split Backspace
65   HHKB-Style Split Right Shift and regular 2-unit wide backspace
24   ISO Enter (vertical enter and split Left Shift)
3   ANSI Enter (default - horizontal Enter key) and Split Backspace
1   HHKB split right shift only, everything else ANSI
1   ISO Enter (vertical enter and split Left Shift), HHKB with split backspace
1   HHKB split right shift only with regular 2-unit wide backspace, with ISO Enter (vertical enter and split Left Shift)
1   HHKB-Style Split Right Shift and regular 2-unit wide backspace, original position Ctrl and Caps lock keys
1   DVORAK layout; ANSI Enter (default - horizontal Enter key)
1   ISO Enter (vertical enter and split Left Shift)
1   HHKB-Style Split Right Shift and Split Backspace and short left shift
1   ANSI (U.S. default - horizontal Enter key) with split right shift, split backspace, and HHKB keys but not HHKB layout
1   ISO Enter (vertical enter and split Left Shift) and HHKB-Style Split Right Shift

Offline ipreferpie

« Reply #553 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 03:43:17 »
Here is a breakdown of the 348 F62/F77 keyboards ordered so far, by general flipper placement/PCB type.

Overall we have 170 US ANSI, 150 HHKB style, 27 ISO, and 1 DVORAK.

166ANSI Enter (default - horizontal Enter key)
81HHKB-Style Split Right Shift and Split Backspace
65HHKB-Style Split Right Shift and regular 2-unit wide backspace
24ISO Enter (vertical enter and split Left Shift)
3ANSI Enter (default - horizontal Enter key) and Split Backspace
1HHKB split right shift only, everything else ANSI
1ISO Enter (vertical enter and split Left Shift), HHKB with split backspace
1HHKB split right shift only with regular 2-unit wide backspace, with ISO Enter (vertical enter and split Left Shift)
1HHKB-Style Split Right Shift and regular 2-unit wide backspace, original position Ctrl and Caps lock keys
1DVORAK layout; ANSI Enter (default - horizontal Enter key)
1ISO Enter (vertical enter and split Left Shift)
1HHKB-Style Split Right Shift and Split Backspace and short left shift
1ANSI (U.S. default - horizontal Enter key) with split right shift, split backspace, and HHKB keys but not HHKB layout
1ISO Enter (vertical enter and split Left Shift) and HHKB-Style Split Right Shift

Did you forget to tally my 2 Colemak Builds? ;)

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #554 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 11:36:31 »
(replied over email)

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #555 on: Sat, 26 November 2016, 14:13:54 »
Please note that HHKB split shift only (otherwise standard layout) is a custom request (no extra charge) so you will need to let me know if you'd like this option.  By default the HHKB layout is the full HHKB layout.

If anyone wants to make changes please let me know ASAP as the factory is still in production with parts for everyone's keyboards. 

This is what the HHKB with split backspace will look like:  https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/questions/question/are-there-any-photos-of-the-hhkb-layout/

Here are the other various layout options:  https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/questions/question/please-post-photos-of-the-various-keys-options/

The HHKB split shift only option keeps everything the same as the standard Model M layout, except the right shift key is split.  The other HHKB options all switch around the ctrl and caps lock keys.  In addition, the HHKB with split backspace option moves around the | \, Backspace, and `~ keys as shown in the first link in this post.

Here is a description of the specific differences with HHKB layout:  "For HHKB/split right shift with split backspace printed key sets, custom printed keys will be included: Delete key the size of | \, 1U size | \, stepped Ctrl/Ctrl-style Caps Lock, Caps-Lock style Shift, and 1U Fn.  For the HHKB set with the non-split backspace, you will not receive the 1U | \ key and the | \-sized backspace key."

Offline schizoidpig

« Reply #556 on: Sat, 26 November 2016, 17:17:25 »
So I ordered mine with blank keys before the XT reproduction caps were announced... is there a way to change my order to include the XT style dye-sub caps?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #557 on: Sun, 27 November 2016, 21:24:25 »
Sure, you can order 5 units of this product and choose free local pickup to upgrade from unprinted to ANSI US printed:  https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/other-customizations-in-1-increments/

Please include a note of what you are looking for.

Offline schizoidpig

« Reply #558 on: Mon, 28 November 2016, 03:25:06 »
Brilliant, thanks!

And by god, those cases are gorgeous. Can't wait to get my hands on mine!

Offline thel

« Reply #559 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 05:53:17 »
Hi Ellipse,
great project!

I am interested in one modern case F77, but I would like to see some pictures first and I would like clarification whether it will be a zink or aluminum case and what colors will be available.

Do you have any news regarding this? What is the target timeframe for the modern cases?
The early bird round is still going? -what does that mean for the modern case type?

Cheers

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #560 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 17:27:22 »
Yes here are prototype photos - the compact cases in these photos are not finished yet!  https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/59umff/photos_hundreds_of_brand_new_model_f_keyboard_f62/?st=iw44m1mb&sh=4435d339

The ultra compact modern cases are all aluminum.  The originals are zinc - zinc is much heavier but both are very strong and should hold up well.  For the F62/F77 keyboards (both original style and compact style cases) you're looking at several pounds of metal per keyboard:  zinc/aluminum for the case and inner plates made of steel.

Orders are now open for the ultra compact cases but they are lower priority than the originals.  I am prioritizing shipments by serial number, which are assigned generally in the sequence of when I receive everyone's orders.

The early bird round is almost closed, but I ordered extra keyboards for the early bird round so that if you order in the coming weeks you will likely have your order included in the early bird round. 

The factory is still working on the key molds and production first-runs for some remaining parts which I need to approve before everything goes into production.  I was expecting this to be finished around this point but that means we are now looking more like February or March for these keyboards to ship from China.  And if the first-run samples are not good, I would rather hold up production until they pass my quality standards even if it causes further delay in the project.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 November 2016, 17:29:05 by Ellipse »

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #561 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 17:32:49 »
Thank you for all of the pictures, updates, and overall transparency. It makes it much, much easier to accept delays when they're accompanied with explanation and documentation.

The delays are good too… it'll give me some time to enjoy some other boards coming in for a few months first ;)

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #562 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 20:47:45 »
Yep - I did not expect delays to bottleneck the process for so long this year.

According to the factory's most recent project management report, they now expect to finish first-runs next week and they expect to finish the molds by mid-December.  Once the first-runs are in hand and fully inspected, I will post more photos and will hopefully be able to approve production to continue. 

Offline thel

« Reply #563 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 02:16:08 »
Thanks for the clarification. I will wait until you have some pictures of the modern one, then I decide how to proceed.
Keep up the great work!

Yes here are prototype photos - the compact cases in these photos are not finished yet!  https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/59umff/photos_hundreds_of_brand_new_model_f_keyboard_f62/?st=iw44m1mb&sh=4435d339

The ultra compact modern cases are all aluminum.  The originals are zinc - zinc is much heavier but both are very strong and should hold up well.  For the F62/F77 keyboards (both original style and compact style cases) you're looking at several pounds of metal per keyboard:  zinc/aluminum for the case and inner plates made of steel.

Orders are now open for the ultra compact cases but they are lower priority than the originals.  I am prioritizing shipments by serial number, which are assigned generally in the sequence of when I receive everyone's orders.

The early bird round is almost closed, but I ordered extra keyboards for the early bird round so that if you order in the coming weeks you will likely have your order included in the early bird round. 

The factory is still working on the key molds and production first-runs for some remaining parts which I need to approve before everything goes into production.  I was expecting this to be finished around this point but that means we are now looking more like February or March for these keyboards to ship from China.  And if the first-run samples are not good, I would rather hold up production until they pass my quality standards even if it causes further delay in the project.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #564 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 03:20:38 »

Thanks for the update Ellipse and as Riot said it's much easier to accept delays when you have all the info. Such an exciting project!

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #565 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 17:54:44 »
We passed $165,000 in orders!

Yep, now I see why many Kickstarter-type projects with intricate parts can take a year or longer for production!
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 November 2016, 18:01:46 by Ellipse »

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #566 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 13:57:59 »
So your gonna send me the very first completed one and then go by the serial number for everyone else right? :D jk

thanks for the updates

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #567 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 16:52:50 »
A note on the production first-runs (they set up production and tooling to make one or more parts of each part design before making all the remaining parts) - they are important in the manufacturing process because some small changes were made to the prototype designs and I want to make sure that everything is 100% before going into production.  Skipping these prototypes would have saved a month or so but it would be a bad idea if a mistake was found after all the units were made.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #568 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 00:53:44 »
Photos from the production first-runs still unfinished and underway!

Caution - raw steel!

Please note that the parts are not yet finished/in hand for my inspection - they are not powdercoated and have not been anodized as they will be for the final production - they are still in their rough "test" condition!

Especially nice is the very first factory stamped Model F foam in over 20 years!  You'll notice their first one has a small mistake in the location of the opening for one of the top inner assembly tabs.

155230-0
155232-1
155234-2
155236-3
155238-4
155240-5

Offline dante

« Reply #569 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 08:52:47 »
Will these keyboards need bolt modding down the road?

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #570 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 08:55:29 »

No, I don't believe Model Fs (capacitive bucking spring) ever needed bolt modding as they're built differently than Model Ms (membrane bucking spring).

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #571 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 11:11:41 »

They don't have plastic rivets holding them together like the Model M.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #572 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 12:49:39 »
This will be really fantastic in the next iteration. Lighter springs, cherry MX mount, slimmer abs cases.

Sign me up for two.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #573 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 12:52:30 »
This will be really fantastic in the next iteration. Lighter springs, cherry MX mount, slimmer abs cases.

Sign me up for two.

Offline Damonskv

« Reply #574 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 15:21:47 »

Sign me up for two.

This is a joke? If not a joke, I am a little scared

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #575 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 15:32:19 »

Sign me up for two.

Offline supamesican

« Reply #576 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 15:38:12 »
Oh dang, xt reproduction keys? Thats awesome! I may order some 2 piece keys from unicomp now so I can test xt original, AT, 2 piece, these, and unicomp custom 1 piece all side by side by side by side by side.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #577 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 16:46:31 »
Sorry Giorgio none of those options will ever be available.  Those who miss the final deadline early next year will be out of luck :(.

Though the Model F does feel much smoother and lighter to type on due to the higher quality of materials in the Model F compared to the Model M in my experience.

Yes supa, the one-piece keys are being made from brand new molds currently in production.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #578 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 19:21:59 »
Though the Model F does feel much smoother and lighter to type on due to the higher quality of materials in the Model F compared to the Model M in my experience.

Yes supa, the one-piece keys are being made from brand new molds currently in production.

Highly captivating,  nothing more beautiful than the feel of Model-F keys and when they finally get shipped to their customers you will get never ending praise and worship once again, for this fine piece of keyboard technology.

Hoping Trumpie will fuel a new Manufacturing boom in the US of A to help bolster Unicomp into a better situation here to help promote American Built Products.  You lot suffered greatly under previous moronic regimes, that punished anyone for building anything on home soil.  Time for the United States to get back into making something more than just bombs and bullets again.

Really looking forward to vital history being made here.  Thank you Ellipse because it all comes down to YOU for making this happen.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #579 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 22:13:21 »
Sorry Giorgio none of those options will ever be available.  Those who miss the final deadline early next year will be out of luck :(.

:-)

It never hurts to try :-) but I'm sure that in the next years we'll see some genial improvements

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #580 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 22:27:55 »

It never hurts to try :-) but I'm sure that in the next years we'll see some genial improvements

I don't think we will see the board you are looking for from Ellipse. I don't see him bastardizing this board for what you are looking for.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #581 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 02:09:50 »

I don't think we will see the board you are looking for from Ellipse. I don't see him bastardizing this board for what you are looking for.

Bastardizing. LOL. It's called evolution.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #582 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 08:39:05 »

Evolution is fixing mistakes. What you're asking is creating mistakes.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #583 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 10:59:28 »

Yeah really. There is a reason Ellipse took on this project. He is recreating some great and highly desirable keyboards what you want him to do is far from evolution giorgio.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #584 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 11:25:49 »

Yeah really. There is a reason Ellipse took on this project. He is recreating some great and highly desirable keyboards what you want him to do is far from evolution giorgio.

deleted
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 December 2016, 11:32:36 by Giorgio »

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • hickneller.com
« Reply #585 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 11:28:42 »
IBM caps have bars right?

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread

Offline supamesican

« Reply #587 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 12:29:35 »
I have 4 questions.

If I order extra foam for down the road, will the foam come with the holes in it or will I have to make them myself?  And will the flippers be any different from those in the f xt? I am on the fence about ordering those, but I have an xt with a bork'd controller in it I can just use for parts instead of ordering 77 spare and save a few bucks if need be.  Would you recommend ordering some  extra barrels?  And this one is for a friend who i am trying to rope into ordering one of these too buthe  has no GH account(yet), how much extra is a custom case color?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #588 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 19:39:52 »
Yep the foam is pre cut with holes, as shown in the recent photos - you get a much closer fit than you would if you approximated the holes with a hole punch.  The new flippers will not be as rusty as your old flippers most likely :).  Some of the older XT/AT keyboards have flipper springs that are starting to rust - with new flippers and springs they should last a while longer than if you were holding 30 year old flippers as spares for the future.  Yes most extra barrel and flipper orders are for 5 to 10 extras of each.

Custom case colors (True Red or regular Gray) for the original style cases are $75 each extra.  There are no available custom colors for the ultra compact cases, which are available in hard anodized black or hard anodized standard gray.

Offline supamesican

« Reply #589 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 12:01:59 »
Only 10? I honestly expected more, but yeah I'll see how much I have left after Christmas presents next week. I'll for sure be getting some foam, and 10 of each of the other 2 if I can swing the extra well $10

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #590 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 19:07:23 »
Yes supa.  And feel free to choose free local pickup if you want to add accessories to your order - I will combine the orders to save you shipping costs. 

Yes the foam is equally important to the spare small barrels/flippers/springs because we do not yet know how long the foam's useful life will be.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #591 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 15:28:27 »
An update - we are three keyboards away from passing $170,000 in orders!

The factory needs an extra week from their scheduled shipment of the first-run parts for my inspection.  The key molds need some more work to make sure they produce parts to spec.  Hopefully the first-runs ship next week.

Below are some photos of the F62/F77 original style cases palletized and ready for storage at the factory.  These are heavy boxes!  They put 8 per box, so each box probably weighs 40-50 pounds - just the cases!

Once all of the parts have finished assembly and the factory QC procedures and have been packed for storage, then the factory will bring all the boxes together and assemble the keyboards with the configuration options specified in everyone's order forms.

155626-2
155628-3
155630-4
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 December 2016, 15:37:21 by Ellipse »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #592 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 16:19:23 »
An update - we are three keyboards away from passing $170,000 in orders!

The factory needs an extra week from their scheduled shipment of the first-run parts for my inspection.  The key molds need some more work to make sure they produce parts to spec.  Hopefully the first-runs ship next week.

Below are some photos of the F62/F77 original style cases palletized and ready for storage at the factory.  These are heavy boxes!  They put 8 per box, so each box probably weighs 40-50 pounds - just the cases!

Once all of the parts have finished assembly and the factory QC procedures and have been packed for storage, then the factory will bring all the boxes together and assemble the keyboards with the configuration options specified in everyone's order forms.

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

I see mine, all the way on the left, bottom row!   :p

Thank you for sharing progress. I wasn't even expecting an update but here it is already.  Unlike certain other group buys that have issues and I haven't heard from in months now... you know who you are.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #593 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 05:03:56 »
I love jumping in here and seeing all this progress!!! Looking good Ellipse!!!

Edit: Ellipse did you end up getting a split right shift in black??? If so I might have to assemble mine with that.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 December 2016, 05:06:54 by ApocalypseMaow »
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #594 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 11:36:37 »
Yes you can order a black split right shift (1.75U) key as part of the HHKB set.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #595 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 02:55:13 »
Unstepped rshift? And why not as single piece?)
Winter is coming.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #596 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 02:57:10 »
keyboard boners for all

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #597 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 06:03:27 »
Yes you can order a black split right shift (1.75U) key as part of the HHKB set.
Nice... Where should I message you about getting mine with that setup... I ordered enough parts to do both, but I think I went with none split shift HHKB split bckspace.

{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #598 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 09:21:36 »
Apocalypse a PM would be fine for making the change. 

Phenix the price is the same for the HHKB set and the single 1.75U key.  I have to pay for the cost of the 1.75U mold :)

Offline Phenix

« Reply #599 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 09:46:16 »
Oh - that's even better
Winter is coming.