Author Topic: [GB] F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! Kishsaver+Industrial Model F  (Read 2338100 times)

Offline ThoughtArtist

Re: [GB] F62+F77 orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards
« Reply #350 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 21:51:41 »
How much do these weigh by themselves? Also, is that an indentation on the lip of the F62?

Honestly, I believe this is the first raw die-cast I have seen. It's pretty interesting!

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
« Reply #351 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 18:16:51 »
ThoughtArtist I am getting these pictured molds sent to me by the factory so I will know in a few days.  It could be a reflection or some other mark - as a reminder those photos are before they go through the secondary finishing operations.

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #352 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 22:52:54 »
Sounds good. It looks like this is shaping up to be a true typing instrument.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #353 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 18:43:15 »
The pictured die cast metal cases are set to arrive tomorrow!

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #354 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 19:45:09 »
The very first die cast metal cases arrived today and they are great!  These sample cases are even heavier than the originals!  The F77 is about 1.2 pounds heavier than my original F77 and the F62 is about 0.9 lbs heavier than kishy's original F62 Kishsaver.

Kishy's original F62 weighing 3,025 grams:  http://kishy.ca/?attachment_id=956

142384-0
142382-1
142386-2

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #355 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 19:56:43 »
That's really impressive! One could break their foot with one of these of they weren't careful. With the density and all metal design, it makes me wonder what the sound signature of those would be compared to the XT. I would imagine these would have the best sound, as far as crispness and sounding solid? I'm not a sound engineer or musician so it's hard for me to really describe.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #356 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 21:08:39 »
The very first die cast metal cases arrived today and they are great!  These sample cases are even heavier than the originals!  The F77 is about 1.2 pounds heavier than my original F77 and the F62 is about 0.9 lbs heavier than kishy's original F62 Kishsaver.

YES, a genuine SKULL Crusher Keyboard.

Who the hell needs a Glock when you've got one of these babies, ready for action  8) .

Offline TieuNgu

« Reply #357 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 21:13:18 »
are these supposed to be the ultra compact case?

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #358 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 21:25:41 »
are these supposed to be the ultra compact case?
No.

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #359 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 21:30:46 »

Kishy's original F62 weighing 3,025 grams:  http://kishy.ca/?attachment_id=956

Awesome! Looks like everything is coming along really nicely! Those cases look like beasts!
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline guy12

« Reply #360 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 21:39:56 »
Is the standard grey exactly like the color in the picture?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #361 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 21:45:09 »
ThoughtArtist I am not sure how the final units will sound exactly.  In my experience every Model F in my collection sounds different, but overall it is a crisp, sharp sound with varying levels of reverberation. 

guy12 these are the raw cases that have not been finished/powdercoated.  The gray color should be similar to an IBM Industrial SSK and the beige/off white color should be similar to the original F77 and F62 keyboards.

Offline dante

« Reply #362 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 09:27:45 »

YES, a genuine SKULL Crusher Keyboard.

Who the hell needs a Glock when you've got one of these babies, ready for action  8) .

The problem is getting a hernia from swinging this thing.

Offline guy12

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #364 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 12:02:09 »
Is the powdercoat going to look like this? :D

http://norbauerwebshareassets.blob.core.windows.net/props/novatouch-QandA-1.jpg

Ellipse said it would be similar to the Industrial SSK's finish. So more like this

http://images.lmgtfy.com/?q=IBM+Industrial+SSK#

Offline guy12

« Reply #365 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 12:58:46 »
Oh, it's just in the order options I see black. Was it changed to grey and beige then, or is there still a possibility of black?

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #366 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 13:19:11 »
From the Q&A on their site - " Sorry, I do not have photos of what the black will look like. It will likely be a matte powdercoated black."

I think I would really like the matte black look actually. Hoping it would look similar to this

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/__sM1womg3hs/S8dwGSS0n9I/AAAAAAAAABk/3qQ_mu9YrSE/s1600/Option+5+Texture+2.jpg

Snoopy powdercoated his kish black as well but I'm not sure how matte it is.

http://abload.de/img/img_033601kmw.jpg
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 July 2016, 13:34:16 by sncbraxsc2 »

Offline guy12

« Reply #367 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 14:10:54 »
Gotcha, thanks for the answers!

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #368 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 16:23:41 »
Oh I'm counting the days!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #369 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 18:14:43 »
I expect to receive powdercoated case samples in the different colors offered (off white, industrial gray, silver gray, true red, and black) in a couple weeks but it is difficult to photograph powdercoated paint accurately in my opinion.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #370 on: Sun, 17 July 2016, 12:09:20 »
$120,000+ in orders so far (including shipping)!

Here's the order breakdown for HHKB split right shift vs. standard style shift:  about 114 split right shift keyboards ordered out of 265 keyboards ordered so far (43% of keyboards ordered up to now will be HHKB style split right shift).

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #371 on: Sun, 17 July 2016, 12:16:00 »
$120,000+ in orders so far (including shipping)!

Here's the order breakdown for HHKB split right shift vs. standard style shift:  about 114 split right shift keyboards ordered out of 265 keyboards ordered so far (43% of keyboards ordered up to now will be HHKB style split right shift).

Damn, that's a lot of orders and I still have to order one (gonna wait for the first real life pictures of the ultra compact first though).

The split right shift thing does not suprise me, on a keyboard with layers this is one of the most ergonomic methods of switching layers, at least in my opinion.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #372 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 09:27:18 »
An update - the PCBs are expected to go into production next week.  Everyone is getting the compact xwhatsit controller that uses the standard 0.1" pitch ribbon cable. 

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #373 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 01:10:10 »
An update - the PCBs are expected to go into production next week.  Everyone is getting the compact xwhatsit controller that uses the standard 0.1" pitch ribbon cable.

Give it, Give it, Give it Ellipse - Give it, Give it, Give it Ellipse - Give it, Give it, Give it Ellipse   8)

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #374 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 14:57:27 »
Sounds good.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 July 2016, 15:17:06 by ThoughtArtist »

Offline Pestik

« Reply #375 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 03:05:56 »
I'm still trying to decide which version to buy (too many options!), but after looking through most of this thread and also the linked website I can't find an updated date for the end of the regular round. I know that it was extended, but for planning purposes I'd love to know the concrete end date.

Also, looking at the raw die cast cases I'm thinking a polished metal finish would have been an interesting option, although it would be a fingerprint/oil magnet.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #376 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 14:43:47 »
Pestik I am thinking end of November.  You can go for the ultra compact cases if you like the metal look, as those are hard anodized, though I recommend the classic style, original cases which the vast majority are going with.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #377 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 20:10:43 »
You can go for the ultra compact cases if you like the metal look, as those are hard anodized, though I recommend the classic style, original cases which the vast majority are going with.

If you aint into CLASSICS then look elsewhere, this keyboard is NOT for that geezer.  The Model-F is unique and anyone that say they love using a Model-F, MUST accept it's true form with no adulteration whatsoever.

It's like asking for a Dodge Challenger then adding Hyundai Panels to it, God have mercy on your Soul for ever doing that type of sick and perverted thing  8) .

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #378 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 00:08:14 »
You can go for the ultra compact cases if you like the metal look, as those are hard anodized, though I recommend the classic style, original cases which the vast majority are going with.

If you aint into CLASSICS then look elsewhere, this keyboard is NOT for that geezer.  The Model-F is unique and anyone that say they love using a Model-F, MUST accept it's true form with no adulteration whatsoever.

It's like asking for a Dodge Challenger then adding Hyundai Panels to it, God have mercy on your Soul for ever doing that type of sick and perverted thing  8) .

I like classics, but in this case, modernization can be a good thing. When these keyboards where originally made, portability and mouse usage where not considered like they are today. Modern computing is much different than in 1984 with its rigid, dedicated terminals. I appreciate the classic design, but I also have to think about how I actually use a computer now. A modernized, lighter weight and space saving design that keeps the core desired typing technology the same fits into this.

This is a simple evolution, which will be much welcomed by some who appreciate Model F buckling spring technology but want a more versatile design to fit their current needs.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 July 2016, 00:40:01 by ThoughtArtist »

Offline guy12

« Reply #379 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 16:00:28 »
Which case style has the best typing feeling? I've heard there are differences between plastic and aluminum cases.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #380 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 16:05:19 »

I like classics, but in this case, modernization can be a good thing. When these keyboards where originally made, portability and mouse usage where not considered like they are today. Modern computing is much different than in 1984 with its rigid, dedicated terminals. I appreciate the classic design, but I also have to think about how I actually use a computer now. A modernized, lighter weight and space saving design that keeps the core desired typing technology the same fits into this.

This is a simple evolution, which will be much welcomed by some who appreciate Model F buckling spring technology but want a more versatile design to fit their current needs.

Just look at the evolution of the guy in your avatar, he's so much more knowledgeable than Elrick..but then again, he's probably not drunk or angry either. :o

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #381 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 19:56:52 »
Just look at the evolution of the guy in your avatar, he's so much more knowledgeable than Elrick..but then again, he's probably not drunk or angry either. :o

So if no one believes with your view point then they MUST be either drunk or angry well in the REAL world, that is what is known as a Free Discussion.

Shall NEVER select a keyboard that wants to copy itself as an Idiot HHKB because if I ever loved it, I would purchase it BUT never delude myself into thinking that every custom made keyboard on this planet, should look exactly like my HHKB  ;) .  If you want a portable Keyboard isn't the HHKB exactly that to begin with?  For the limp-wristed here the Model-F version will NOT be lighter than any of your HHKBs so where does that leave you when it comes to moving it about?  All you would have done is disfigure an original keyboard that was never suppose to be portable hence it's size and weight.  All those crying about weight, shall be leaving their HHKB disfigurements at home because surprise, surprise it is still too heavy for them to carry around.

You lot here know nothing about acquiring and using different styles of keyboards and enjoying them for what they offer, something completely different from any Cherry or Thorpie creation.  The Model-F was and always will be the Perfect Keyboard from a bygone era (once manufactured in the US), that is being resurrected for all of us here today.  Appreciate it's original form because it's beautiful as is.  Sorry if I don't want to felch you for approval sunshine but this is the REAL world and thus far, expressing my viewpoints will never be restricted when it comes to this truly REAL Model-F Keyboard.

Clint Eastwood is right, you lot are completely overly sensitive to everything, time to find a pair and man up here, instead of crying about what someone says - typical youngsters always thinking everyone needs to keep them happy and worshiped on a constant basis to help them feel valued in Life, unfortunately for you lot here it will never happen  8) .
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 August 2016, 20:06:09 by Elrick »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #382 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 19:58:14 »
guy12 none of the case options are plastic - the case choices are between aluminum and zinc.  The original style cases will all be zinc and the ultra compact cases will all be aluminum, with some exceptions possibly if you request a zinc case. 

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #383 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 21:09:37 »
A production update: 

The PCBs are going into production this week or next week. 

I am also ordering custom made ribbon cables for this project - two 15 position cables like IBM's originals but with the more standard 0.1" pitch of the compact xwhatsit controllers.  The factory will solder and assemble everything so it arrives ready to use for everyone of course.

The original style cases are continuing to be a bottleneck.  I recently rejected the factory's powdercoating samples airmailed from China as not being in line with my standards and in the original Model F style.  I know everyone is eager to get their shipments delivered but I won't sacrifice my quality standards to get these out a month or two earlier - we are only doing these once and I want them done right!

Here are photos of the very first powdercoated zinc Model F cases.  Please disregard the colors of the photos and the powdercoating textured finish as they are not accurate.  I expect to be getting more samples in hand later this month.

And in case you haven't been following the thread in recent months, the barrels and flippers finished production about a month or so ago.

144410-0
144412-1
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 August 2016, 21:13:09 by Ellipse »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #384 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 01:44:51 »
A production update: 

Here are photos of the very first powdercoated zinc Model F cases.  Please disregard the colors of the photos and the powdercoating textured finish as they are not accurate.  I expect to be getting more samples in hand later this month.

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Brings tears to my old eyes here  :'( .

Such perfection but still retaining it's OLD world charm, like what nature intended.  When it aint broke why modify it, keep it beautiful as is  :thumb: .

Over time most will forget about the normal, boring layouts but this one will still ring true when used.  Always loved this layout and I hope it soon will be completed to provide everyone a glimpse of what refinement really looks and feels like.

Offline cjhard

• Claudia the Magnificent
« Reply #385 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 08:19:12 »
How off is the color actually? It's hard to tell with pictures, and GMK Triumph Adler has taught me pictures can show hugely different colors between shots of the same shoot.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #386 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 17:55:22 »
That's right cjhard.  I will only be able to check the colors and powdercoating quality when I have them in hand - I can't tell from the photos.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #387 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 17:59:12 »

So if no one believes with your view point then they MUST be either drunk or angry well in the REAL world, that is what is known as a Free Discussion.

Shall NEVER select a keyboard that wants to copy itself as an Idiot HHKB because if I ever loved it, I would purchase it BUT never delude myself into thinking that every custom made keyboard on this planet, should look exactly like my HHKB  ;) .  If you want a portable Keyboard isn't the HHKB exactly that to begin with?  For the limp-wristed here the Model-F version will NOT be lighter than any of your HHKBs so where does that leave you when it comes to moving it about?  All you would have done is disfigure an original keyboard that was never suppose to be portable hence it's size and weight.  All those crying about weight, shall be leaving their HHKB disfigurements at home because surprise, surprise it is still too heavy for them to carry around.

You lot here know nothing about acquiring and using different styles of keyboards and enjoying them for what they offer, something completely different from any Cherry or Thorpie creation.  The Model-F was and always will be the Perfect Keyboard from a bygone era (once manufactured in the US), that is being resurrected for all of us here today.  Appreciate it's original form because it's beautiful as is.  Sorry if I don't want to felch you for approval sunshine but this is the REAL world and thus far, expressing my viewpoints will never be restricted when it comes to this truly REAL Model-F Keyboard.

Clint Eastwood is right, you lot are completely overly sensitive to everything, time to find a pair and man up here, instead of crying about what someone says - typical youngsters always thinking everyone needs to keep them happy and worshiped on a constant basis to help them feel valued in Life, unfortunately for you lot here it will never happen  8) .

TL;DR

Offline cjhard

• Claudia the Magnificent
« Reply #388 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 09:47:34 »
That's right cjhard.  I will only be able to check the colors and powdercoating quality when I have them in hand - I can't tell from the photos.

Was the powdercoating in the photo's not what you had recently rejected? Or was it the colors on the aluminum prototype cases you had already received what you've rejected? I must have skimmed your update and thought the colors pictured were in hand and rejected.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #389 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 12:48:35 »
cjhard I rejected the color samples and also the powdercoating.  The ones in the photos were of one of their most recent attempt and are not being sent to me just yet.  Once they have accurate colors and powdercoating I expect to be mailed a set of samples.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #390 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 13:12:23 »
Sorry for my ignorance, I just wonder why are you using a curved plate when all modern keycaps are optimized for a flat plate.

This could be important in the future, when you will probably start to offer mx adapters, which I suppose will be retro compatible with the already sold keyboard!  :cool:

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #391 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 13:15:47 »
Giorgio the Model M and Model F keys do not function on a flat back plate.  The goal of the project is to reproduce the original Model F keyboards.  I will not be offering adapters.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #392 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 13:18:35 »
Giorgio the Model M and Model F keys do not function on a flat back plate.  The goal of the project is to reproduce the original Model F keyboards.  I will not be offering adapters.

No cherry mx adapters? I must have made a mix - up with another project  :eek:

Offline guy12

« Reply #393 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 16:43:00 »
Really want to get unprinted black keycaps and black case, but worried about the right shift key. Are there any other vendors that sell one, or can you combine the black caps lock and unit key to form a shift?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #394 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 18:39:40 »
I am making the black right shift key so not to worry.

Offline joey

« Reply #395 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 18:41:08 »
Can you update on the key set situation? I might want to order 2 sets of your keys, but not sure what's actually being made.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #396 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 18:45:53 »
What do you mean joey?  I am making full one piece key sets in standard pearl/pebble and also black.  You can order spare key sets now on the modelfkeyboards.com site.

Offline joey

« Reply #397 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 18:55:45 »
What do you mean joey?  I am making full one piece key sets in standard pearl/pebble and also black.  You can order spare key sets now on the modelfkeyboards.com site.
You answered it :P

My order already comes with a set, does that only include the keys on the board, or the full 103 set?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #398 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 18:57:32 »
Every keyboard with keys comes with a full set of keys, not just the ones on the keyboard.

Offline joey

« Reply #399 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 19:00:36 »
Every keyboard with keys comes with a full set of keys, not just the ones on the keyboard.
Great! I don't know if I'll order another set, not really a fan of blanks.