Author Topic: [GB] F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! Kishsaver+Industrial Model F  (Read 2350782 times)

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
Re: [GB] F62+F77 orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards
« Reply #500 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 10:31:47 »
Lonely in Arkansas xD
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
« Reply #501 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 17:24:04 »
The zinc cases have been die cast!  Here are photos of some of the cases as they appeared right out of the molds.

They are still rough around the edges at this point.  After they are die cast, they need to do some machining, polishing, and then powdercoating (they are currently doing these secondary operations to the cases).

150421-0
150423-1
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 October 2016, 17:25:45 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #502 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 22:43:22 »
Production update - the factory has confirmed production of the remaining parts will start this week!  If all goes well this should be a two month process starting this week.

They are creating the molds and setting up the tooling on their machines, then they create the samples for my approval, then they produce and assemble the remaining parts for the production run. 

Here is the very first prototype ultra compact F62 case as it appeared out of the CNC machine - just the raw aluminum - not cleaned up just yet!

Please note that they are not finished!  The scratches and marks must be removed with secondary CNC machining operations and then the hard anodized coat will be applied either in black or standard gray.

You are looking at the back end perspective in some of the photos - that hole corresponds to the hole for the USB in the back.  The USB cable can be removed from the back without opening up the keyboard.

150629-0
150631-1
150633-2
150635-3

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #503 on: Thu, 20 October 2016, 18:04:48 »
We are now past $145,000 in orders!  Any feedback on the rough CNC milled ultra compact case prototypes?

Offline Pikly

« Reply #504 on: Thu, 20 October 2016, 18:16:59 »
I didn't get an ultra compact case, but they look very nice! Should look even better when they're coated.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #505 on: Thu, 20 October 2016, 18:29:57 »
Any feedback on the rough CNC milled ultra compact case prototypes?

It looks good, nice and THICK just the way I love my women  8) .

As long as it can crush any cranium with a single swing, it's perfect in every way.  This casing has to be built for survival instinct, for the future when everything goes pear-shaped.

So far it's looking good Ellipse.  Can't wait to see the colours applied and presented.

Offline KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
« Reply #506 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 12:19:45 »
Any feedback on the rough CNC milled ultra compact case prototypes?

It looks good, nice and THICK just the way I love my women  8) .

As long as it can crush any cranium with a single swing, it's perfect in every way.  This casing has to be built for survival instinct, for the future when everything goes pear-shaped.

So far it's looking good Ellipse.  Can't wait to see the colours applied and presented.

LOL, nice~~~  ;)

Looks smooth ~~~ I think I need to be in for an ultra compact, whens the latest I can order an ultra compact case, ellipse?
∴∵∴◇Time TKL--VE.A--F&T 1916--Cajal--Octagon v2◇∴∵∴

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #507 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 13:26:08 »
You still have a couple months but please order soon if you want to add it to an existing order.

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #508 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 20:47:42 »
What extra parts do you recommend ordering?  Extra flippers, barrels, and springs anything else? I'm kind of ocd with parts and want to make sure my keybaord will last for decades.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #509 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 20:55:43 »
What extra parts do you recommend ordering?  Extra flippers, barrels, and springs anything else? I'm kind of ocd with parts and want to make sure my keybaord will last for decades.

The foam mat.

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #510 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 22:18:44 »

The foam mat.

ya saw that. What is that foam actually for? What about pcb and controllers are those for sale individually as well?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #511 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 22:46:26 »
The extra foam mat, barrels, and flippers/springs are the most important extra parts that everyone should order.  The foam holds the barrels and keys in place.  Over time, older Model F keyboard barrels become "wobbly" as the foam disintegrates.  The foam is designed to keep even pressure between the barrels and the top inner assembly plate (and also to help keep dust out of the inner assembly and away from the capacitive PCB).

To make it easier I am waiving extra shipping charges if anyone wants to place another order just for extra parts.  I will combine orders if you order anything in the next month or two - you can just choose "free local pickup" for the next order.  However if you order an extra keyboard you'd still need to cover shipping.

Yes you can order an extra PCB which includes the controller PCB and the capacitive PCB.  For this option just order 40 units of this product and specify which PCB you are looking for (F62/F77, normal/split shift/scumnc layout).  http://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/other-customizations-in-1-increments/
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 October 2016, 22:48:27 by Ellipse »

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #512 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 23:33:04 »
The extra foam mat, barrels, and flippers/springs are the most important extra parts that everyone should order.  The foam holds the barrels and keys in place.  Over time, older Model F keyboard barrels become "wobbly" as the foam disintegrates.  The foam is designed to keep even pressure between the barrels and the top inner assembly plate (and also to help keep dust out of the inner assembly and away from the capacitive PCB).

To make it easier I am waiving extra shipping charges if anyone wants to place another order just for extra parts.  I will combine orders if you order anything in the next month or two - you can just choose "free local pickup" for the next order.  However if you order an extra keyboard you'd still need to cover shipping.

Yes you can order an extra PCB which includes the controller PCB and the capacitive PCB.  For this option just order 40 units of this product and specify which PCB you are looking for (F62/F77, normal/split shift/scumnc layout).  http://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/other-customizations-in-1-increments/

ok thanks ya I might order a bunch of extra parts for the F77 i ordered. How would I combine the order for the extra parts for the f77 I ordered a while ago?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #513 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 23:42:14 »
You can make a separate order and I will combine the orders when everything is ready to ship.

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #514 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 00:18:02 »
You can make a separate order and I will combine the orders when everything is ready to ship.

ok will do thanks. I should use the same email and information as my original order then I assume.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #515 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 00:19:03 »

Ellipse please explain this theory I have inside my head.

If all the foam was made at the same time period and twenty years into the future the foam inside your immaculate F77 keyboard starts to disintegrate, what happens with the spare foam that was bought?

Wouldn't they also start to disintegrate due to being made at the same time and I know for a fact all FOAM deteriorates over time no matter, even if they are vacuum sealed and stored away from the sun, they will still fall apart when taken out of their enclosure.

Have bought and dealt with numerous foams over the years and the only one that lasts is insulation foam that comes out of cans which have a high glass particle content.

Offline axtran

« Reply #516 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 09:09:29 »

If all the foam was made at the same time period and twenty years into the future the foam inside your immaculate F77 keyboard starts to disintegrate, what happens with the spare foam that was bought?

Wouldn't they also start to disintegrate due to being made at the same time and I know for a fact all FOAM deteriorates over time no matter, even if they are vacuum sealed and stored away from the sun, they will still fall apart when taken out of their enclosure.

Have bought and dealt with numerous foams over the years and the only one that lasts is insulation foam that comes out of cans which have a high glass particle content.

I think the oceans can help us prove that foams won't deteriorate that easily. /s LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #517 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 11:48:41 »

ya that's a good point. Maybe store it in a ziplock bag in the closet or something. Like to get Ellipse input on this as well.

Offline cjhard

• Claudia the Magnificent
« Reply #518 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 11:58:30 »
If it becomes the case that 20 years from now all our foam has disintegrated and our backup foam has also been eaten by time, I would imagine we'd just have to cut new foam out of whatever the newest miracle foam is at the time. Maybe one day Ellipse will backup all the project source files on the Github of the future, just in case.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #519 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 12:34:49 »
Elrick there are two types of Model F foam.  One type has almost always disintegrated and is no longer springy where they have been held compressed for so many decades (around the barrels); this is the type found on most F122s and some F77/XT/AT's in my collection.  The other type has held up pretty well but may no longer be as "springy" around the parts that were compressed the most (the barrels).  This could make the barrels wobbly when typing.  I have looked up different foam manufacturer specifications and have seen that some types of foam can survive years if unused/uncompressed.  That is why I suggest keeping an unused foam for later.  And yes ccc it might be a good idea to keep the extra foam in a cold place, in a sealed bag.  No one knows for sure how long the McMaster Carr foam used in this project will last.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #520 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 21:17:53 »
I have looked up different foam manufacturer specifications and have seen that some types of foam can survive years if unused/uncompressed.  That is why I suggest keeping an unused foam for later.  And yes ccc it might be a good idea to keep the extra foam in a cold place, in a sealed bag.  No one knows for sure how long the McMaster Carr foam used in this project will last.

I'll still buy another two pieces of foam as spares BUT I thought of using their shape to trace out and cut a spare "sorbothane" like sheet to use inside my F77.

I've used sorbothane feet under heavy Sub-woofers around the home and they were placed under their 20kgs of weight for more than five years and the feet still retain their original shapes when extracted.  Can't believe that a man-made product can endure so long and provide complete isolation of audio equipment tremors from the concrete floors.

Shall be using a sheet soon to see how it performs, because it's a very tough material that refuses to be squashed into oblivion by any weight but still retains very soft actuation when forced.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 October 2016, 21:19:45 by Elrick »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #521 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 17:40:08 »
That material is expensive Elrick! 

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #522 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 17:58:35 »
That material is expensive Elrick!

I know BUT it's the ONLY man-made product that never deforms over time.  Even when it's covered in dirt, oil, petrol, diesel or grease the Sorbothane survives intact which still surprises me, out where I work.

Hence spending the money on one sorbothane pad will probably outlast the switches inside your Model-F keyboard.  For myself, it comes down to how long this keyboard will last and I seriously want this F77 to out live me.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #523 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 17:50:48 »
The die cast zinc cases have finished their secondary CNC/finishing operations and are ready to be powdercoated!

And we are 2 or 3 orders away from $150,000!  Orders continue to be accepted for the early bird round!

151384-0
151386-1
151388-2
151390-3
151392-4

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #524 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 17:56:04 »
Have any gone out? Waiting for final samples and reviews before placing an order.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #525 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 18:08:33 »
romevi not yet - the parts are not yet all made.  From the OP update:

IN PRODUCTION
* Ultra compact cases
* Key molds / keys / buckling springs
* Inner assembly plates
* Boxes / inner foam / outside foam packaging
* Powdercoating for the original style cases

FINISHED PRODUCTION
* barrels
* flippers
* Die cast zinc cases (they have not yet been powdercoated)
* capacitive PCBs
* compact xwhatsit controllers
* case molds
* ribbon cables (to connect controllers to capacitive PCBs)

SHIPPED TO ME
* Current plan is for everything to be finished and shipped to me in December or January.

ORDERS LOCKED
* Cases and other parts have been ordered, so please no major changes!

STILL CAN BE ORDERED
* Everything.  I have ordered extra keyboards and parts for the early bird round, which will be ongoing while supplies last.  Then there will be a final round for about a month after the early bird keyboards are delivered.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #526 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 18:18:21 »
Oh, the OP is updated! Okay, cool. I will rely on that from now on. Thanks!

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #527 on: Sun, 30 October 2016, 14:37:35 »
Here are a few factory built and assembled units from the production run of the compact xwhatsit PCBs.

These compact PCBs will be included in all F62 and F77 keyboards, not just the compact versions.

151651-0

Offline axtran

« Reply #528 on: Mon, 31 October 2016, 06:41:32 »
What's the controller on these?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #529 on: Mon, 31 October 2016, 17:49:38 »

Offline axtran

« Reply #530 on: Mon, 31 October 2016, 18:01:10 »
it is the xwhatsit Model F USB controller - more info here:  http://downloads.cornall.co/ibm-capsense-usb/ and here:  http://downloads.cornall.co/ibm-capsense-usb-web/ibm-capsense-usb.html

Got the controller model handy?

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #531 on: Mon, 31 October 2016, 18:04:50 »
it is the xwhatsit Model F USB controller - more info here:  http://downloads.cornall.co/ibm-capsense-usb/ and here:  http://downloads.cornall.co/ibm-capsense-usb-web/ibm-capsense-usb.html

Got the controller model handy?

ATmega32U2

Offline axtran

« Reply #532 on: Mon, 31 October 2016, 18:37:57 »
Thanks!

Time to reverse engineer and port to TMK once I get mine in. :)

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #533 on: Mon, 31 October 2016, 22:16:29 »
Please do share on this thread if you are able to get TMK working on xwhatsit's controller. 

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #534 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 11:12:30 »
The factory is also working on alternate spring material samples to get to a sound that is even closer to the originals.  I will be getting these samples in the coming weeks for further evaluation.

Offline axtran

« Reply #535 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 15:53:34 »
Please do share on this thread if you are able to get TMK working on xwhatsit's controller.

Will do! Let me know if you have extra controllers so I can have an experimenting one. Might need to reflash boot loader, things like that.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #536 on: Thu, 10 November 2016, 18:48:13 »
Not sure if this was mentioned before but the factory is going ahead with the high quality double walled cardboard boxes with the printed project graphics. 

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #537 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 03:23:56 »
Not sure if this was mentioned before but the factory is going ahead with the high quality double walled cardboard boxes with the printed project graphics. 

Cannot wait to see my brand new model F in its box!

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #538 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 15:06:06 »
The factory tells me they are still on schedule.  We may see completed ultra compact case keyboard prototypes by early December!

Offline RocketGruntJake

• Brb, gotta grow some flowers
« Reply #539 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 15:24:35 »
Will the first ordered keyboards arrive before Christmas this year?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #540 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 15:29:13 »
Nope sorry, not likely.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #541 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 22:55:44 »
We've passed $155,000 in orders!

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #542 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 02:34:16 »

And who said no body wants Model-Fs any more  ;D .

We are now living in a Keyboard Renaissance Movement where a lot more people are interested in historical keyboards.  You've got past technologies that the younger generation are eager to find out about and own a part of this.

Also it's the ONLY United States key switch designed for the public to use, so it's worth resurrecting this again to see the effect it will have on all those addicted to the standard which has become CherryMX based.  Get them to use something far better and worship something again from the past brought back to Life.

You should call this Keyboard a Phoenix Version.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 November 2016, 02:39:47 by Elrick »

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #543 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 03:36:56 »

And who said no body wants Model-Fs any more  ;D .

We are now living in a Keyboard Renaissance Movement where a lot more people are interested in historical keyboards.  You've got past technologies that the younger generation are eager to find out about and own a part of this.

Also it's the ONLY United States key switch designed for the public to use, so it's worth resurrecting this again to see the effect it will have on all those addicted to the standard which has become CherryMX based.  Get them to use something far better and worship something again from the past brought back to Life.

You should call this Keyboard a Phoenix Version.

Haha I really like that, Model F Phoenix :)

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #544 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 12:25:59 »
I posted over 100 F62/F77 project photos here, if anyone is interested in seeing all the production photos in one place:  https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/59umff/photos_hundreds_of_brand_new_model_f_keyboard_f62/?st=ivqz41do&sh=3c48cfcd

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #545 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 17:46:05 »
Project update:  production has finished on all the original style cases for the early bird round!  I made extras so you can still get in your early bird orders.

Also we are at $160,000 in orders!

153508-0

153514-3
153516-4
153518-5
153520-6
153522-7
153526-8
153528-9
153530-10
153532-11
153534-12
153536-13
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 November 2016, 18:06:56 by Ellipse »

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #546 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 17:53:57 »
You Ellipse, are a good ****.

Those photos made me hard.

xoxo  :thumb:

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #547 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 18:20:38 »
You Ellipse, are a good ****.

Those photos made me hard.

xoxo  :thumb:

Quite CORRECT  8) .

His pictures are now moistening my loins consistently.  Need to change my shorts every time I visit this section, shame on you Ellipse for doing this to me.........

Offline Ir0n

« Reply #548 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 08:28:52 »
Every time I see those red cases...oh boy.. Lol

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #549 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 08:44:54 »
Haven't been around GH but love checking up on this thread. So glad I got in on the red.