Author Topic: [GB] F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! Kishsaver+Industrial Model F  (Read 2355147 times)

Offline DZed

Re: [GB] F62+F77 orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards
« Reply #1000 on: Thu, 29 June 2017, 12:40:38 »
I would normally wait a few days until I had the rest of the legends finished before posting pics but here is the current state of the F XT Quality Legends reproduction for the benefit of the fence-sitting early birds. The mods are the 'F Style' icon only since I have not yet done the lower case letters and more importantly, because it looks pretty cool! All these legends are hand drawn from a very high resolution scan of original Model F keys provided by Ellipse.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 June 2017, 12:47:02 by DZed »

Offline dotcom

« Reply #1001 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 08:19:52 »
Would it possible to change the layout of my F77 from ANSI to ISO with shift split left and the rest ANSI? If it's too late to change the layout, could I please add ISO keys to my order so I can modify the layout myself once it's delivered?

Thanks for your consideration! I'm super stoked!

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #1002 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 18:40:46 »
Here are the various layout options offered for the F62 and F77. Posted for those still sitting on the fence as the early bird deadline approaches!

(Attachment Link)

Some mockups of the various optional key sets.

(Attachment Link)

Better renders with the reproduction font will follow but I wanted to get this posted before the ordering deadline.

My order actually has a layout that isn't in those visuals (ISO, but with additional split right shift). Will this be possible? Or will I have to change it back to standard ISO?

Also, really great job on those legends, I have always been partial to icon-only modifiers, and this really tickle my fancy :D
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline DZed

« Reply #1003 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 19:10:21 »
Here are the various layout options offered for the F62 and F77. Posted for those still sitting on the fence as the early bird deadline approaches!

(Attachment Link)

Some mockups of the various optional key sets.

(Attachment Link)

Better renders with the reproduction font will follow but I wanted to get this posted before the ordering deadline.

My order actually has a layout that isn't in those visuals (ISO, but with additional split right shift). Will this be possible? Or will I have to change it back to standard ISO?

Also, really great job on those legends, I have always been partial to icon-only modifiers, and this really tickle my fancy :D

Thanks duynguyenle it seems Ellipse is also a fan of the icon only option so hopefully we will be able to get those keys made. My layouts were not comprehensive given that the project offers all sorts of customization, I couldn't easily show every possible option. I would think you are OK. Especially if the order went through without any problems but that is up to Ellipse to say for sure.

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
« Reply #1004 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 16:03:45 »
As noted before the default keys will be the Model M style legends for everyone.  I will be making the Model F style legends as well as extra individual keys.  If Zed makes the legend I will try to include it in the dye sublimation but I do not want to put time into custom one off legends when I have to get the orders out.

Soon the key molds will be bottlenecking the project if the molds are not to spec in a month or so.  For that reason I am thinking of replacing the mold subcontractor with another one that I've worked with before.  This will eliminate further delays on the keys.  I was expecting this key issue to be fixed at the start of June. 

The HHKB style F62/F77 comes iwth the 1.5U Delete key with backspace as the function layer, to match the HHKB original.  I can take extra orders if some people want Back- space, the icon only, or the like on the keyboard.

The #3 F77 right side block will be available but it will be extra and not installed on the keyboards.  I will not be printing custom front legends besides the front printed F1, etc. set and the Industrial SSK set.

Zed everything looks great!

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #1005 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 20:34:04 »
Soon the key molds will be bottlenecking the project if the molds are not to spec in a month or so.  For that reason I am thinking of replacing the mold subcontractor with another one that I've worked with before.  This will eliminate further delays on the keys.  I was expecting this key issue to be fixed at the start of June. 

ALWAYS stick with the contractor you have worked with before because we here in no man's land, knows what it's like trusting another sub-contractor to do the job and fails all because they were cheap and the accountants were happy with the low-ball quote.

If we had stuck with our original contractor the job would of been done within time and budget, which overall saved us a whole lot further on down the line.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1006 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 21:19:52 »
Unfortunately Elrick we had production delays with the main guys too, so it is not the case that these guys were holding up the project.  We are still actually waiting on some of their tooling to finish (the top inner assemblies as mentioned above).

I am looking into having the springs made in the US at higher cost if the factory's next samples do not sound right.

Maybe I should write a book on all this after production ends in the coming months?  Of course typed on a brand new F77 :)

Offline DZed

« Reply #1007 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 19:02:43 »
Latest update for the XT Quality font.

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #1008 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 19:23:29 »
Latest update for the XT Quality font.

That's really nice... I'm still happy with the F62 I ordered for now, but if the initial round goes well, I think I will pick up a F77 in the second production round in order to complete the duo.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1009 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 19:44:33 »
Zed sent me the SVG of the XT font and the legends are near perfect!  I printed them out 100% on my laser printer and did some digital micrometer spot checks.

These are going to look great on all our F62 and F77 keyboards!

Great duynguyenle - everyone will have time to try out the first round boards for a month or two at least before the final round ends.

Do people prefer the pebble `~ key for the HHKB layout?  Everyone will be getting the pearl version as the default and the pebble `~ is not part of the HHKB key set but I could probably make them available as an extra key.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 July 2017, 21:21:16 by Ellipse »

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #1010 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 21:35:57 »
Do people prefer the pebble `~ key for the HHKB layout?  Everyone will be getting the pearl version as the default and the pebble `~ is not part of the HHKB key set but I could probably make them available as an extra key.

I personally went with an all black set, but like the idea of having the option to use a pebble key for `~

Also, when is the *very* last round? I'm still on the fence about picking up an alt case for my F62...
@home      @work Swapping out boards... coming soon     wtb

Offline Gamecat

« Reply #1011 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 21:54:28 »
Is it possible to do the ultracompact F77 in industrial gray? 

Offline Atredl

[GB] F62+F77 orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards
« Reply #1012 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 22:52:20 »
Zed sent me the SVG of the XT font and the legends are near perfect!  I printed them out 100% on my laser printer and did some digital micrometer spot checks.

These are going to look great on all our F62 and F77 keyboards!

Great duynguyenle - everyone will have time to try out the first round boards for a month or two at least before the final round ends.

Yup, please include the pebble '~ key for us symmetry freaks.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 July 2017, 00:22:27 by Atredl »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1013 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 23:22:32 »
No Gamecat the ultra compact keyboards only offer black and regular gray anodizing.

The second and last round is the final round later this year.

If anyone wants the custom pebble/dark gray `~ key please order 3 units of the store item "$1 increments" and I will make some (please add a note that it is for the pebble `~ key).

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #1014 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 23:40:29 »
Definitely in for a pebble `~ since symmetry is king; didn't even think to ask about that so thanks for offering it.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #1015 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 00:51:16 »
Do we choose "other shipping" when adding the pebble `~ key?

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #1016 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 04:08:00 »
I'm in for a pebble ~.

Once aqain your attention to detail is astounding on this. I hope you're documenting the process thoroughly, it's a fantastic project.

Offline DZed

« Reply #1017 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 13:39:56 »
I just keep upping the workload for you don't I Ellipse?  :D I swear, that pebble ~ just ended up in the render. I didn't even think about the fact that it wasn't part of the HHKB kit just that the lords of symmetry must be honored!

Offline Gamecat

« Reply #1018 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 13:49:06 »
No Gamecat the ultra compact keyboards only offer black and regular gray anodizing.

The second and last round is the final round later this year.

If anyone wants the custom pebble/dark gray `~ key please order 3 units of the store item "$1 increments" and I will make some (please add a note that it is for the pebble `~ key).

I see an option for "Another color - Please message me beforehand" on the website, is that still a possibility for the ultracompact case?  If so what is the cost and how to setup?

Offline NathanA

« Reply #1019 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 15:25:31 »
I see an option for "Another color - Please message me beforehand" on the website, is that still a possibility for the ultracompact case?
I don't think that was ever an option for the ultracompact, only the classic.

-- Nathan

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1020 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 16:08:49 »
Custom colors are an option for the compact cases, it will cost about $500 extra.  Bright dipping is probably more.

Yes, you can just pick other/free shipping to add it to your order.

Offline Asbrodeus

« Reply #1021 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 17:34:09 »

wondering the same.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1022 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 18:28:30 »
Today the project is featured on the home page of www.PopularMechanics.com - a comprehensive look at the project and on the Model F keyboard.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/a27123/model-f-project-buckling-spring-keyboard/

172483-0

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #1023 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 18:32:36 »
Congrats on the article.

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #1024 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 19:19:01 »
That's so awesome! Congrats  :thumb:

Offline axtran

« Reply #1025 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 19:48:09 »
Today the project is featured on the home page of www.PopularMechanics.com - a comprehensive look at the project and on the Model F keyboard.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/a27123/model-f-project-buckling-spring-keyboard/

That's awesome! Pretty much life goal stuff!
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #1026 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 20:58:21 »

(Attachment Link)

Geez you've done it  :o .

Appearing on Popular Mechanics, that use to be my fave mag when I was in my early teens.  Onya for making it and I hope more of your fellow Americans realize what an awesome project you have accomplished here but also help them understand what a brilliant key-switch that the Model-F is.

Time for the Model-F to become the mainstay of every keyboard owner around the globe, stamp down the pitiful Cherry and other wannabes pretending to offer the only keyboard experience for millions worldwide.  When they start using the Model-F, I bet every Yank within your own country would be in this Group Buy without any hesitation.

Everyone talks about how patriotic the Americans are yet where are they with this Model-F project, where are the MILLION's signing up for this unique piece of history?

Offline Atredl

« Reply #1027 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 00:52:22 »

wondering the same.

I emailed him and he said to choose other shipping.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #1028 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 08:38:34 »

(Attachment Link)

Fantastic. Congratulations!

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1029 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 17:16:17 »
Check out today's ExtremeTech, Tom's Hardware, and Tech Report articles on the Model F Project!  All are great at concisely explaining the project / the Model F keyboard.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/252014-ibm-model-f-keyboard-returns-30-year-hiatus

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/model-f-mechanical-keyboards-buckling-spring-f77-f62,34954.html

http://techreport.com/news/32206/model-f-keyboard-gets-a-modern-reboot

172560-0

172562-1

172564-2
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 July 2017, 18:38:54 by Ellipse »

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #1030 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 02:06:23 »
I noticed the project getting a lot of coverage today. Great to see it pop up in my newsfeed.

Offline Pete

« Reply #1031 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 15:25:04 »
Does the KB ship with an ESC key to replace the tilde key if you want?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1032 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 15:50:14 »
Yep Pete, you get the full set.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1033 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 20:17:45 »
So, if I order an ultra compact f62 in a hhkb layout, I need to order 3 units of the $1 special key and put a note saying it's for the pebble ~` 1u key, right?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1034 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 21:08:02 »
Yes that will work!

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1035 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 19:50:02 »
Today the project is on the home page of Slashdot!  The traffic brought down the site for a bit but now it is back up and running.  https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/17/07/08/0556248/enthusiast-resurrects-ibms-legendary-model-f-keyboard

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #1036 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 19:58:01 »
It's hilarious reading those comments. Sometimes I get too insulated in the keyboard community, and I forget that probably only one in a hundred computer users even notice what kind of keyboards they're using. And most of those are like "why doesn't this keyboard have multicolored backlighting like my gaming special??"

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1037 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 19:59:04 »
The spring-flipper attacher machine is finished! The factory did a great job designing and building this machine.

172771-0
172773-1
172775-2
172777-3

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1038 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 21:06:07 »
The spring-flipper attacher machine is finished! The factory did a great job designing and building this machine.

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
Can you make a mini-video showing how it works?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #1039 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 22:30:12 »

I sure hope they have built at least a hundred of these because you do know you will need at least a million or so springs attached to the lower body sections?

Pity the poor soul who's job is to operate that machine constantly, just have no idea the extra time this will take especially if you want it done to a high standard.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 July 2017, 22:32:23 by Elrick »

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1040 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 22:40:27 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 11:48:59 by alienman82 »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1041 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 22:45:07 »
Thanks, though no paid ads yet for this project interestingly enough - if anyone is a web marketer by trade and has any advice in that area please let me know.  I might want to do some advertising for the final round to make sure as many people hear about the project as possible before the order window closes.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1042 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 15:56:41 »
Wow the project got on the home page at TechSpot!  What an honor to see the Model F on the tech news sites!  https://www.techspot.com/news/70043-weekend-tech-reading-onedrive-stops-supporting-non-ntfs-ibm-model-f-diy-remote-pc-starter.html

Latin00032 I might make a video when I am over in China (where the spring attacher is located) - I expect to head over there for final quality inspections before they ship to me and I do further QC.

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #1043 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 16:12:02 »
Wow the project got on the home page at TechSpot!  What an honor to see the Model F on the tech news sites!  https://www.techspot.com/news/70043-weekend-tech-reading-onedrive-stops-supporting-non-ntfs-ibm-model-f-diy-remote-pc-starter.html

Really awesome to see the positive press this project is (rightfully) getting! I'm sure I'll look back and be very grateful that I had a chance to join in this buy. Thanks Ellipse for all the hard work you've been putting into this project! Really stoked to see stuff like the flipper apparatus -- it's all coming together  :)

Offline Marutks

« Reply #1044 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 13:29:42 »
Are those keyboards programmable?

This picture shows Mac Command keys next to Space.   
https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/command-option-keys/

Do I have to order this specific layout or I can change it myself?

What about arrow keys on Kishsaver?   What key combination is for them?
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 July 2017, 13:34:57 by Marutks »

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #1045 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 17:55:22 »
Are those keyboards programmable?

This picture shows Mac Command keys next to Space.   
https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/command-option-keys/

Do I have to order this specific layout or I can change it myself?

What about arrow keys on Kishsaver?   What key combination is for them?

Yes it's fully remappable (xwhatsit controller I believe). And since it's fully mappable including many function layers as you wish, you can place the arrow keys (and any other keys) anywhere you want.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1046 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 18:04:35 »
The Mac command keys are an additional option.  The keyboards do not come with that layout by default.  You can move keys around to other positions if you want, and you can also configure each physical key using the xwhatsit GUI software.

The factory default setting will match the HHKB style function layers like those here:  http://elitekeyboards.com/proddata/doc/hhkbp2_basic_layout.png

Of course this can be adjusted in the software once you get it.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1047 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 18:44:44 »
Production update:

I continue using and testing the new Model F's and we are very close to getting the right amount of the musical reverb when typing!  Even with some of the components not yet 100%.

I received the latest shipment today from the factory, including two Industrial Gray production cases and sample keys and springs.

The factory did a great job on the Industrial Gray cases.  They are the correct mix of gray, green, and tan that is a cross between the greenish-tan-gray Industrial SSK and the more greenish full size Industrial M's.  Nice bumpy texture and matte paint.

The latest spring samples do not match my tolerances and specifications and they have been rejected.  At this point I expect to work with one of the US spring factories I've received a quote from in the past month or so (after evaluating their samples first of course).  I have to absorb the costs here but it looks like everyone is expected to get US made buckling springs!

The latest keys have excellent PBT like the originals, but failed to match the tolerances and I am talking with the factory about options and next steps.  May have to switch subcontractors on this part as I mentioned before; we don't want to wait forever for these sub's to improve!

173142-0

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #1048 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 18:52:45 »
Production update:

I continue using and testing the new Model F's and we are very close to getting the right amount of the musical reverb when typing!  Even with some of the components not yet 100%.

I received the latest shipment today from the factory, including two Industrial Gray production cases and sample keys and springs.

The factory did a great job on the Industrial Gray cases.  They are the correct mix of gray, green, and tan that is a cross between the greenish-tan-gray Industrial SSK and the more greenish full size Industrial M's.  Nice bumpy texture and matte paint.

The latest spring samples do not match my tolerances and specifications and they have been rejected.  At this point I expect to work with one of the US spring factories I've received a quote from in the past month or so (after evaluating their samples first of course).  I have to absorb the costs here but it looks like everyone is expected to get US made buckling springs!

The latest keys have excellent PBT like the originals, but failed to match the tolerances and I am talking with the factory about options and next steps.  May have to switch subcontractors on this part as I mentioned before; we don't want to wait forever for these sub's to improve!

(Attachment Link)

Have you got any pictures to share of the Industrial Grey cases? Really want to see that one, as that's the colour I ordered!

Offline NathanA

« Reply #1049 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 20:23:40 »
The latest spring samples do not match my tolerances and specifications and they have been rejected.
You rock.   :thumb:

-- Nathan