Author Topic: [GB] F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! Kishsaver+Industrial Model F  (Read 2350551 times)

Offline PancakeMSTR

Re: [GB] F62+F77 orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards
« Reply #1050 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 20:41:53 »
Ellipse,
Could you go into more detail about what about the springs and keycaps do not match your specifications? Have you tested them within a keyboard? How do they operate? I'd like to better understand your basis for rejecting these parts.

Also, what is the updated timeline given that you have to reject the springs and the keycaps? Can we in any way expect to see these keyboards before the end of the year?

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
« Reply #1051 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 21:41:43 »
Yes we are still looking at Q4 - the springs do not take long to make.  The factory is going to talk with the subcontractor to see if the key molds can be corrected.  And they are still working on the updated top inner assembly tooling.

The springs are too short in inner diameter (not fitting onto the flippers properly).  Some of the samples require too much force to press.  Some do not buckle reliably.  The factory has had several tries but has been unable to make the springs to spec so I am not using that subcontractor.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #1052 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 20:44:17 »
Production update:

The factory did a great job on the Industrial Gray cases.  They are the correct mix of gray, green, and tan that is a cross between the greenish-tan-gray Industrial SSK and the more greenish full size Industrial M's.  Nice bumpy texture and matte paint.

PLEASE provide the pics of these miraculous colors chosen, this will help keep us who bought F77's excited for another few months yet  :o   .

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1053 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 09:39:49 »
Agreed.  Let's keep on topic of the board and not politics.  Focus on the light at the end of the Q4 tunnel!

Would love to see some more photos whenever you get time, Ellipse

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1054 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 12:13:48 »
F62 HHKB CANT WAIT BOIIIIIII  :thumb:

Mod Edit: Removed quotes of deleted posts
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 July 2017, 12:47:33 by HoffmanMyster »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1055 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 12:48:34 »
Thread has been cleaned up after recent threadcrapping, and warnings handed out.  Keep the thread on-topic, and more importantly, keep your offensive and insulting views to yourself.  This is not the place for that.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1056 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 12:49:12 »
racism

bitter personal attack

Elrick: Keep your ****ty racist opinions to yourself. Your experience with Chinese equipment doesn't mean what you said isn't racist. It's not allowed on this forum.

PancakeMSTR: Just drop it and report posts you feel break forum rules. Contempt and vitriol will only make things worse. You can also put Elrick on ignore.

Just stay on topic folks.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1057 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 12:49:56 »
Ninja'd.

What hoff said.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1058 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 15:58:09 »
While we wait on the factory and some photos from me, I was wondering if we could discuss:

Where will you be using your brand new Model F keyboard?  What kind of work/activities will you be using it for most (writing, coding, gaming, etc.)?

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #1059 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 16:06:37 »
Model F77
I was planning to have it as a general use board and determine my overall satisfaction with the switches. I will definitely attempt to game with it but more than likely this will be used when filling out forms, updating resume, and maybe my go-to when taking excell courses. At the moment I am not a coder genius like some here but would like to learn.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1060 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 16:21:18 »
Where will you be using your brand new Model F keyboard?  What kind of work/activities will you be using it for most (writing, coding, gaming, etc.)?

I expect it to become my primary work keyboard.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1061 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 17:18:45 »
NPR Interview tonight!

It is an honor to be a guest tonight on NPR's evening program All Things Considered!  The 3 minute segment on the Model F keyboards will air around 7:30 or 8pm, at least in NY.  Please tune in to listen!

The audio is now posted here if you missed the broadcast:  http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2017/07/14/537290841/this-10-pound-keyboard-from-the-1980s-is-making-a-comeback
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 July 2017, 19:20:06 by Ellipse »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1062 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 17:51:35 »
 whoa  npr, that's awesome!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #1063 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 17:53:21 »
Agreed major props looking forward to listening to the recorded session.

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1064 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 18:29:17 »
NPR Interview tonight!

It is an honor to be a guest tonight on NPR's evening program All Things Considered!  The 3 minute segment on the Model F keyboards will air around 7:30 or 8pm, at least in NY.  Please tune in to listen!

The segment will be posted here later tonight/tomorrow:  http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2017/07/14/537290841/this-10-pound-keyboard-from-the-1980s-is-making-a-comeback

What no ****? That's awesome

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #1065 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 23:49:36 »
NPR Interview tonight!

The audio is now posted here if you missed the broadcast:  http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2017/07/14/537290841/this-10-pound-keyboard-from-the-1980s-is-making-a-comeback

Man, this just keeps getting even better. Huge props to you, Ellipse! Curious to find out whether this segment brings in a fresh batch of orders (or at least eyeballs on the site to learn more about your project :D).

Edit: Really enjoyed your description of typing on the keyboard, with the various parts interacting... like a musical instrument :) All this just makes me even more excited to eventually get mine under my fingers.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 July 2017, 23:56:12 by robotsokk »
@home      @work Swapping out boards... coming soon     wtb

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #1066 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 00:50:57 »
I played the segment in front of my girlfriend and wanted to mute it when they mentioned the price lol but the hosts on NPR softened the blow talking about the price for the originals adjusted for inflation. You were well spoken and specific on word choice. Congratulations on your hard work and endeavors building a success story. I hope to find my own someday!

Offline zacheadams

• Friendly Neighborhood Keyboard Enthusiast
« Reply #1067 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 10:54:18 »
NPR Interview tonight!

Awesome dude.  I just put in an order.  I was considering it for a long time, but seeing/hearing this interview reminded me to just click the buttons.

It was a pleasure meeting you at KeyCon and I can't wait to see the finished product sometime between now and certain apocalypse (and hopefully sooner).

:thumb:

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1068 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 15:13:57 »
We reached $300,000 in orders!

Thanks and nice meeting you too!

Offline duncancmt

« Reply #1069 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 11:51:57 »
I'm trying to gather interest to add an extra color of keycap to this GB. They'd be black dyesub on slightly lighter black caps. Sound off in this thread if you're interested.
Since this is intended to be part of the GB, I hope I don't cause any offense by posting in this thread.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1070 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 12:52:34 »
Yes confirmed I'm looking to add an extra key set color.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1071 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 14:18:46 »
I'm totally lost with the keycaps on this board.  I just assumed there was one option when I joined a year back.  Now it seems there are some blue caps somewhere and options for dual tone (different mods from alphas) and now we're talking about black or dark gray.

What comes with the F62 when I chose caps with legends?

What else is available?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1072 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 14:22:24 »
reececonrad here is the proposed summary of the key options:  http://imgur.com/a/WR7h4

You'd be getting the full XT quality base set (the top half of the first photo)

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #1073 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 16:04:59 »
reececonrad here is the proposed summary of the key options:  http://imgur.com/a/WR7h4

Just to clarify, any orders of the F62 and F77 will come with the full set (that means everyone will end up with some extras right)?

What about those of us who ordered ISO boards? Will we still receive the base set + extra ISO keys for our specific language or will it just be the base kit with the select ANSI keys replaced by specific ISO? What about those who ordered boards in the split shift layout? Will there be the correct split shift caps in the order?

I assume if I want to buy stuff like the numrow with front print, it will cost extra right? Have you got any idea in terms of costs for those extra caps?
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1074 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 16:10:18 »
Yes you get the full set for ANSI orders. 

The international sets will just have the full ~103 key international key set that was ordered, no ANSI-only keys.  Yes the split shift caps will be correct.

Here is the store item for F1 printed front row keys:  https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/front-printed-keys-f1-etc/

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #1075 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 16:45:17 »
Yes you get the full set for ANSI orders. 

The international sets will just have the full ~103 key international key set that was ordered, no ANSI-only keys.  Yes the split shift caps will be correct.

Here is the store item for F1 printed front row keys:  https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/front-printed-keys-f1-etc/

Perfect thank you for the clarification. When buying these front-printed F row keys, can we specify which language to get? (because each flavour of ISO has quite a different number row)
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1076 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 16:59:33 »
Yes please do specify.

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #1077 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 17:22:01 »
Ellipse do the blue ESC and ENTER noveltykeys just come extra for free or is there a way to add them to the blue ssk kit?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1078 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 17:24:50 »
Extra blue keys are $3 each outside of the Industrial SSK Blue key set.  You can add them using the store item "$1 increments."

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1079 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 00:29:58 »

Extra blue keys are $3 each outside of the Industrial SSK Blue key set.  You can add them using the store item "$1 increments."

Thanks, this makes more sense now  :thumb:  I'm going to add the blue extra keys.  I would like the blue Esc and Enter keys.  Should I just enter 6 for "Special keys/other" and specify what caps I want in the notes field?
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 July 2017, 00:33:36 by reececonrad »

Offline Atredl

« Reply #1080 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 00:42:40 »

I ordered an extra full set of blue XT keycaps, do I need to add anything to my order to make sure that I get blue HHKB caps as well?

Edit: Actually, I think that I already chose the option to get the HHKB keys with my extra blue set. Follow up question, are the Pebble/beige HHKB keys included when ordering a F62?
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 July 2017, 00:59:44 by Atredl »

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #1081 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 01:51:59 »
While we wait on the factory and some photos from me, I was wondering if we could discuss:

Work is open plan so it's a little too noisy, unfortunately. Currently use my type-s at work so the HHKB style F62 would have been a perfect replacement, maybe one day when I have my own closed off office. So it's gonna be used as my home board for gaming and a little coding and graphic work primarily.

@Ellipse Congrats on the NPR interview!

Offline Kavik

« Reply #1082 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 10:01:43 »
I'm trying to gather interest to add an extra color of keycap to this GB. They'd be black dyesub on slightly lighter black caps. Sound off in this thread if you're interested.
Since this is intended to be part of the GB, I hope I don't cause any offense by posting in this thread.

I am interested in this, but I already ordered a blank black set. I'd want to swap my blank black set for this light black (dark gray?) printed set if I ordered it.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #1083 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 14:51:16 »

'
I'm buying this without having tried buckling spring but assuming I'm gonna love it. If it's as wonderful as it sounds, it'll be on my desk at home, used for writing prose, lyrics, emails, GH posts and any further attempts at learning to code. Probably swapped out at night for something silenced though, for my partner's sake.  :)

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1084 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 21:15:37 »
Thanks atlas!  Atredl not sure what you mean - please PM me.

Just as a production recap for those catching up on the progress:
Production has finished on many of the components - the important components we are waiting on are the springs, key tooling, and inner assembly steel plate tooling.  We are still looking at end of year delivery for everyone.

The factory has agreed that if this month's corrected key molds do not meet quality standards, I will be going with the other factory to make the key molds.

The factory is also finishing up the corrected top inner assembly tooling this month.  Part of the tooling is a huge metal press curved to IBM's exact radius for the top inner assembly.  This will help ensure we reach IBM's exact standards. 

In the mean time as the keys are produced, assembly is expected to finish for everything except the keys.  That way the keys will not bottleneck the project timeline.  The factory expects to produce more of the spring attacher machines to speed things along.

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1085 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 11:39:44 »
Thanks atlas!  Atredl not sure what you mean - please PM me.

Just as a production recap for those catching up on the progress:
Production has finished on many of the components - the important components we are waiting on are the springs, key tooling, and inner assembly steel plate tooling.  We are still looking at end of year delivery for everyone.

The factory has agreed that if this month's corrected key molds do not meet quality standards, I will be going with the other factory to make the key molds.

The factory is also finishing up the corrected top inner assembly tooling this month.  Part of the tooling is a huge metal press curved to IBM's exact radius for the top inner assembly.  This will help ensure we reach IBM's exact standards. 

In the mean time as the keys are produced, assembly is expected to finish for everything except the keys.  That way the keys will not bottleneck the project timeline.  The factory expects to produce more of the spring attacher machines to speed things along.

So supposing you do have to go with the other factory for keycaps, are they basically ready to go on your say so? I.e. they know what they are making, have all the technical files, even produced prototypes maybe, etc, and are just waiting for your say-so?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1086 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 18:32:45 »
No pancake, they need time for their engineers to design and then build the mold.  While they spend about 2 months to do that (if it comes to switching), to avoid bottlenecking production will continue with the inner assemblies and eventually assembly of everything except the keys.

I'm hoping the factory fixes their output - the keys look great, they are just off 0.5mm or less in some of the specifications but that makes all the difference for reliable functionality.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 July 2017, 18:57:48 by Ellipse »

Offline TheInverseKey

• You can run but you cannot hide!
« Reply #1087 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 09:54:53 »
Is there a picture of the F77 Model F Keyboard with the "Right side block::0-9 and cursor keys"?
The reason being is that I am wondering if there is also secondary functions like "Print/ScrLock/Pause/Ins/Del etc"

Thanks

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1088 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 16:46:19 »
Yes here are the proposed layouts:  http://imgur.com/a/WR7h4

And yes you can configure secondary functions in the software if you need Print Screen/Scroll Lock/etc. 

Offline Atredl

« Reply #1089 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 19:32:40 »
Hi Ellipse,

I sent you a PM a couple of days ago. Could you check it out?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1090 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 19:46:38 »
Replied - sorry for the delay!

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1091 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 20:11:33 »
We reached $327,000 in orders!  As we wait for the big week at the factory coming up (where they evaluate the key molds for one last time and they work on the revised top inner assembly tooling), here are some project stats.

Still aiming for delivery in late Q4.

Keyboards ordered this month so far:  147

Keyboards:
F77   378
F62   203
Compact F77   89
Compact F62   53
Grand Total   723

Items:
Extra Flipper and Spring   2237
Extra Barrel   1460
4 Extra bumpers (free with full keyboard purchase)   202
Extra Plastic Stabilizer Insert for keys   170
Industrial SSK Blue Keys   109
Front-printed keys F1, etc.   101
FirstAidKit   101
Unprinted 1U key   89
HHKB 6 Key Set   37
Extra Set of Brand New Production XT-quality one-piece keys   56
Extra steel spacebar tabs (pair)   54
Extra inner foam (F62, F77, F62 split shift, F77 split shift, F107, F122)   49
Apple/Mac Command-Option Keys   46
Custom/Low Serial Number/Birthday   48
Extra F77 Case   36
Extra F62 Case - 'Kishsaver"   26
Extra PCB   5

Case Colors:
F77   
Color: Industrial Gray   187
Color: Off-White/Beige   131
Color: Black   52
Color: Silver Gray   3
Color: True Red   3
Color: Another color   2
F77 Total   378
F62   
Color: Off-White/Beige   102
Color: Industrial Gray   56
Color: Black   35
Color: True Red   8
Color: Another color   1
Color: Silver Gray   1
F62 Total   203
Compact F77   
Color: Black   58
Color: Regular Gray   30
Color: Industrial Gray   1
Compact F77 Total   89
Compact F62   
Color: Black   34
Color: Standard Gray   18
Color: Another color    1
Compact F62 Total   53
Grand Total   723

Installed Key Sets:
Keys: Regular printed key set (US/ANSI layout)   494
Keys: Black unprinted keys   81
Keys: Regular color blank keys (no lettering/legends)   61
Keys: International layout    48
Keys: Use your own keys   32
Keys: Blue printed key set (US/ANSI layout)   2
Keys: Regular printed key set (US/ANSI layout), Model M keys   1

Layouts:
ANSI Enter (default - horizontal Enter key)   353
HHKB-Style Split Right Shift and Split Backspace   177
HHKB-Style Split Right Shift and regular 2-unit wide backspace   125
ISO Enter (vertical enter and split Left Shift)   50
HHKB split right shift only, everything else ANSI Enter (default - horizontal Enter key)   5
HHKB-Style Split Right Shift and Split Backspace and short left shift   2
ANSI Enter (default - horizontal Enter key) and Split Backspace   2
HHKB split right shift only, everything else ANSI Enter   2
ISO Enter (vertical enter and split Left Shift) and HHKB-Style Split Right Shift   1
DVORAK with HHKB style split right shift   1
Regular printed key set (US/ANSI layout)   1
HHKB split right shift only with regular 2-unit wide backspace, with ISO Enter (vertical enter and split Left Shift)   1
ANSI (U.S. default - horizontal Enter key) with split right shift, split backspace, and HHKB keys but not HHKB layout   1
DVORAK layout; ANSI Enter (default - horizontal Enter key)   1
HHKB-Style Split Right Shift and regular 2-unit wide backspace, original position Ctrl and Caps lock keys   1
Grand Total   723

Extra bumper sets:
Bumper type: 2 Large rubber bumpers (left of photo) with screw and nut plus 2 dome (middle of photo)   56
Bumper type: 2 medium bumpers with threaded stud (second photo) + 2 other pictured bumpers (please specify in the notes)   45
Bumper type: 4 square   29
Bumper type: 4 dome (middle of photo)   18
Bumper type: 4 Cork   17
Bumper type: 2 dome (middle of photo) + 2 small cylindrical (bottom right)   16
Bumper type: 2 dome + 2 square   11
Bumper type: 2 square (top right)+2 small cylindrical (bottom right)   9
Bumper type: 2 medium bumpers with threaded stud (second photo) + 2 cylindrical bumpers   1
Grand Total   202

F77 Right Side Block
Print/ScrLock/Pause/Ins/Del etc. keys, cursor keys   280
0-9 and cursor keys   137
Blank(these menu choices just affect those buying keys)   49
0-9 and cursor keys, blue unprinted keys for 5 and 0   1
Grand Total   467

Offline dante

« Reply #1092 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 20:15:22 »
After production is wrapped up what will become of the molds/tooling?
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 July 2017, 20:17:58 by dante »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1093 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 20:31:41 »
The molds will likely be scrapped unless I pay for the upkeep, and the tooling on the factory machines will be just reconfigured for their next customer once production ends.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #1094 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 01:00:41 »
The molds will likely be scrapped unless I pay for the upkeep, and the tooling on the factory machines will be just reconfigured for their next customer once production ends.

If that isn't incentive to get one now, I don't know what is.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #1095 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 10:47:03 »
723 keyboards + parts and different configurations... I do not envy you when it comes time to QC these. Even if you check 20 per day, that's over a month of QC! Good luck and thanks for your continued work on this.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1096 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 10:55:51 »
Yep it will take at least a month to test each one and get them out.  The factory will be doing most of the QC though, so I am just doing the final pass.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1097 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 19:10:51 »
What is the deadline to place an order?
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1098 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 19:25:09 »
We are still in the early bird round user 18, you have some time.  The deadline is not yet set.

Offline Jolly_Green_Giant

« Reply #1099 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 20:44:49 »
Yes here are the proposed layouts:  http://imgur.com/a/WR7h4

And yes you can configure secondary functions in the software if you need Print Screen/Scroll Lock/etc. 

Just asking for some clarificaton on a few things:

1. if I order the F77 with keycaps, the full set of XT Quality Base Set comes with it? (of course, not including the F-Row, HHKB, Apple/Mac, and SSK kits)

2. Will the Mopar Blue Novelty set be added to the menu on https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/set-of-xt-quality-one-piece-keys/  ?

3. How do we order http://i.imgur.com/SC8TI3I.png if we're getting the F77 model? This set would basically cover any uses I would possibly have with the side keys!