Author Topic: [Closed] Metal(zinc) key caps UPDATE All Shipped! Keep taking orders.  (Read 50894 times)

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
[Closed] Metal(zinc) key caps UPDATE All Shipped! Keep taking orders.
« Reply #150 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 13:42:01 »
My metal keycaps are so shiny I have to wear shades when I type :cool:
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 February 2012, 07:48:53 by mmmty »
Keyboardless

Offline Kisakuku

« Reply #151 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 13:44:38 »
Quote from: tsangan;505433
Suit up in latex gloves before you use them

Such incredibly misinformed and non-OSHA-compliant advice! Only nitrile.

:peep:

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #152 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 14:43:15 »
Quote from: gimpster;505215
I got mine in the mail yesterday and put them on. First impressions: they look very nice, I liked that they were individually bagged to keep them from being damaged during shipping. The gold color is great, and I think the previous customer shots might be a tad off in this department because mine didn't have such a yellow tint to them, they're much more like the photos in the OP. That said, I did have a few keys with serious blemishes in the finish. It looks like they were handled too soon after plating because there are fingerprint marks in the finish (pics below). Luckily these blemishes are on the sides of the keys so you don't notice them very easily when you have them on the keyboard. Still, if it's possible to get replacements for these keys, I would really appreciate it.

(Attachment Link) 39231[/ATTACH]
(Attachment Link) 39232[/ATTACH]
(Attachment Link) 39234[/ATTACH]

One thing that surprised me a bit was just how snug these keys fit on the switches. Every key had to be pushed very firmly (and wiggled a bit) to get it to seat fully on the switch. I also noticed that they have two different styles of casting for the post mount. I didn't notice much difference between the two when installing them. The one that is cut all the way through might have been very slightly easier to push on than the other, but not by much. The difference is well within the tolerances I would expect for such an item.

(Attachment Link) 39233[/ATTACH]

Here are some pics of the finished product. Overall, very happy.

(Attachment Link) 39235[/ATTACH]
(Attachment Link) 39236[/ATTACH]
(Attachment Link) 39237[/ATTACH]

Hello gimpster, since those blemishes are so obvious, I could send you the replacements for those keys that have spots on it. Please PM me with your shipping address and what keys you need to replace. Thank you!

Offline slueth

« Reply #153 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 15:03:12 »
I wish the quality was better.. maybe in round two there will be less imperfections.

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #154 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 17:26:34 »
Got them yesterday.  Thanks feng!

Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline slueth

« Reply #155 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 17:29:12 »
the ducky looks nice D:  so does that punisher looking skull

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #156 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 18:41:49 »
^ I concur. =D
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline scarhawk

« Reply #157 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 19:40:07 »
Yeah. I got my gold zerg keycap and silver Protoss keycap a couple days ago and they look great in person.

Offline snarlingchicken

« Reply #158 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 00:16:48 »
Eagerly waiting for mine :X

Offline gimpster

« Reply #159 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 00:19:16 »
Quote from: angry gamer;505240
Nice review. What major differences have you noticed in typing? What I'd really like to know is how heavy the keys are, and how that affects keystrokes.

These are on Cherry Brown switches and the extra weight of the keys definitely makes the switches feel "lighter". I'd imagine they would be ideal on Clears, Blacks, or Greens. I don't mind the lightened feel, though. The tactile "bump" on the Browns does seem less pronounced, but it doesn't ruin the feel of the switches. I'm still waiting to see if I notice much difference in my fingertips after a full day of typing. I didn't notice much difference today, but I wouldn't call today quite a "full day" either, it was only about 6 hours worth of typing (on that keyboard). :) I thought I would miss the nubs on the F and J keys but it hasn't been much of a problem so far. I have caught myself looking down at the keys to make sure I'm lined up before but so far I have never been off. I think it's just psychological and I need to trust that my 20 years of touch-typing muscle memory will get my fingers in the right place on their own. :) Nothing but compliments from guys around the office. Still waiting for the groupies to come swooning, though. ;)
-Ryan

Offline gimpster

« Reply #160 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 00:21:52 »
Quote from: DanGWanG;505423
Did you polish your keycaps or something?  They look SUPER shiny compared to mine lol...

LOL Nope, no polishing on my end, those are straight out of the bag.

Quote from: feng;505489
Hello gimpster, since those blemishes are so obvious, I could send you the replacements for those keys that have spots on it. Please PM me with your shipping address and what keys you need to replace. Thank you!

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'll PM you the info.
-Ryan

Offline angry gamer

• Postmodern Martyr
    • http://www2.b3ta.com/mind-control/
« Reply #161 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 02:18:52 »
Quote from: gimpster;506090
These are on Cherry Brown switches and the extra weight of the keys definitely makes the switches feel "lighter". I'd imagine they would be ideal on Clears, Blacks, or Greens. I don't mind the lightened feel, though. The tactile "bump" on the Browns does seem less pronounced, but it doesn't ruin the feel of the switches. I'm still waiting to see if I notice much difference in my fingertips after a full day of typing. I didn't notice much difference today, but I wouldn't call today quite a "full day" either, it was only about 6 hours worth of typing (on that keyboard). :) I thought I would miss the nubs on the F and J keys but it hasn't been much of a problem so far. I have caught myself looking down at the keys to make sure I'm lined up before but so far I have never been off. I think it's just psychological and I need to trust that my 20 years of touch-typing muscle memory will get my fingers in the right place on their own. :) Nothing but compliments from guys around the office. Still waiting for the groupies to come swooning, though. ;)

Thanks for this. Yeah, I would imagine that the weight would help counteract the force for needed to push the key down...depending on the type of plastic and the blend of the zinc it could be up to five times heavier than the plastic.

In the case of blues, it's almost like you need the force there, I'm not sure what typing with extra weight would feel like and honestly, I'm not sure that feeling is going to be good.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #162 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 02:31:28 »
Quote from: DanGWanG;505423
General question to everyone:  How can I polish them to look better?  What should I use?  I don't know the first thing about metal.

I've polished metal with Brasso before, works very well. But with electroplating for these specific caps, there's absolutely no info on the process or how thick the plating is, so I would use caution to polish, as it might take off enough of the color finish for the zinc to show.

Offline Fred

« Reply #163 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 07:54:15 »
Quote from: gimpster;505215
One thing that surprised me a bit was just how snug these keys fit on the switches. Every key had to be pushed very firmly (and wiggled a bit) to get it to seat fully on the switch.

Heh - you weren't kidding! I'm still debating over whether i should put on the keys or not. My alt switch have already gotten a nasty mark from me trying to force down the key on it. xD

Offline Kisakuku

« Reply #164 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 09:22:54 »
Quote from: Fred;506285
Heh - you weren't kidding! I'm still debating over whether i should put on the keys or not. My alt switch have already gotten a nasty mark from me trying to force down the key on it. xD

Always use protection! You just need to cut a plastic bag into small pieces and put them on top of every switch prior to installing the caps.

Offline Fred

« Reply #165 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 09:57:52 »
Hmm. Might try that. But they fit on *really* tight. =P
Also... the supposed mark was really an already made indentation in the switch... *sigh* >_>
I didn't notice it on the other switches because, for some reason, the indentation is flipped the other way. Only noticed them (and the pre-made shape of them) when examining them with a flashlight.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #166 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 10:05:24 »
You may have to leave the caps on permanently after you put them on. Or risk pulling out the whole switch :scared:
Keyboardless

Offline Fred

« Reply #167 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 10:11:28 »
Something interesting to note is that they fit way better if I put it on sideways, haha. Just tried the only 1x size key i ordered.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #168 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 20:10:35 »
Quote from: Fred;506370
Something interesting to note is that they fit way better if I put it on sideways, haha. Just tried the only 1x size key i ordered.

That could be because the cherry cruciform is not "square". The horizontal bar is thicker than the vertical portion.

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #169 on: Wed, 08 February 2012, 19:48:25 »
Quote from: Kisakuku;506338
Always use protection! You just need to cut a plastic bag into small pieces and put them on top of every switch prior to installing the caps.

I've heard of that method before, but never try it. Cause I'm not so worry about the perfection of those switches.

Offline gimpster

« Reply #170 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 00:25:27 »
Quote from: Kisakuku;506338

I really don't see how this will work. The caps are tight enough already, there's no room to fit a plastic shim...I've done this on the Costar stabilizers for other key caps, because they were loose and the plastic makes it snug enough to fit correctly. That's exactly the opposite of what you need here.
-Ryan

Offline snarlingchicken

« Reply #171 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 02:06:36 »
Did anyone not get their caps yet? Still waiting on mine T_T

Offline angry gamer

• Postmodern Martyr
« Reply #172 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 08:07:17 »
Got my 37 silver legends yesterday.

Some thoughts:

Ordering:
My keys arrived 5 days after I ordered them. Ordered them on Saturday, went out on Monday, received on Wednesday.

Inspection:
There are a few small factory defects on a few of the keys, but nothing worth needing a replacement as seen earlier with some of the gold keys...perhaps it is limited to the the gold keys alone. All of the key faces are without blemishes. Each key was individually bagged in plastic.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 39867[/ATTACH]

Seating the keys:
A few things on this. This was a bit tedious, if one is not careful it seems like it would be easy to break the stem off of the switch if you force the key down too hard...I never found out and hopefully I never will. There seems to be a bit more play in the keys.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 39868[/ATTACH]
Sorry for the really crappy pic. It's a screen cap from a video camera, doesn't zoom in too well.

I was also confused that there are two different kinds of molds for the stems. I seated them from left to right top to bottom, and somewhere in the middle of doing this did I realize that it changed. The keys had the "B" stem but somewhere it changed to "A". I think around the "Z" key, I don't exactly remember. The "A" keys seemed to be harder to seat and don't seem quite as sturdy. Maybe there is a convention for doing this, if someone knows perhaps they could explain.

Action:
I haven't typed with them a whole lot yet, and I'm not sure how well these keys work with Cherry blues. They alter the action in a number of ways. For one, you can hear a metal "ting!" when you type. Not a really big deal to me. However, the classic "snap" you hear from blues is gone, and it is replaced with "thomp!" sound. More importantly, these keys somehow seem to "dampen" the feeling when you bottom out. Also, they are somewhat heavier than the factory keys. Consequently it doesn't take as much force to press, as the weight assists in force. This may or may not be a good thing. In my case it is somewhat not a good thing as I tend to make a lot of mistakes when I type and using blues has helped me correct this to a degree in that I am forced to type more accurately...it takes more effort to press a key and it's more of a subconscious thing where I make more of an effort to type better, even if my WPM falls off. These keys sort of defeat that. Overall, I don't really think it's the keys, but me.

I have to run, but I'll add more later. I at least wanted to get this up.

Also, props to feng for doing this. I paid up in January and had to back out once and feng promptly gave me a refund.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 February 2012, 15:56:50 by angry gamer »

Offline Bertross

« Reply #173 on: Fri, 10 February 2012, 07:12:11 »
still selling Autobots Gold or Silver colour? PM me thanks might be able to add it onto my other PBT order :)

also want punisher and Filco
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 February 2012, 07:18:33 by Bertross »
REALFORCE 86UB / FILCO MJ2 87 BROWN PBT WHITE/BLUE

Offline Fobbah

« Reply #174 on: Fri, 10 February 2012, 19:37:48 »
The electroplating didn't really take on two of my keys, the m key and > key, apart from that they look great!

Any news on when the blank R4s will be available (i'm after 26 of them)? I would be hoping to get replacements for the aforementioned keys at the same time if i could get them individually.

Offline regca

« Reply #175 on: Sat, 11 February 2012, 18:38:38 »
Payment sent~ I forgot to include information in the Paypal message so please check your email ><

Offline angry gamer

• Postmodern Martyr
« Reply #176 on: Sat, 11 February 2012, 20:13:26 »
Quote from: Fobbah;511396
The electroplating didn't really take on two of my keys, the m key and > key, apart from that they look great!

Any news on when the blank R4s will be available (i'm after 26 of them)? I would be hoping to get replacements for the aforementioned keys at the same time if i could get them individually.

What kind did you get, silver or gold?

Offline rekanise

« Reply #177 on: Mon, 13 February 2012, 03:30:36 »
Payment sent ~~

Offline snarlingchicken

« Reply #178 on: Mon, 13 February 2012, 16:56:30 »
Just got my starcraft keys in today after the first ones sent out to me were lost in the mail! Great customer service from Feng to send out a replacement set for me! Keys look great but its a bit difficult to get them on my keyboard. Trying to file the little cross-section down before putting them on as I don't want to damage my switches.

Also: Does anyone else have a straight vertical line going down their keys? Two out of three of my keys have this problem :/ Bugs me the most on the protoss one as its the most visible since the symbol is the smallest.

Offline Kisakuku

« Reply #179 on: Mon, 13 February 2012, 17:02:53 »
Quote from: snarlingchicken;513493
Also: Does anyone else have a straight vertical line going down their keys? Two out of three of my keys have this problem :/ Bugs me the most on the protoss one as its the most visible since the symbol is the smallest.

Yeah, I have a vertical line on the left side of the top surface of both of my Filco Esc caps.

Offline kaen

« Reply #180 on: Mon, 13 February 2012, 20:12:56 »
I have two keys with blemishes, my R key and one arrow key. im having none of the fitting problems tho, they are slightly tight when first put on but after that come off easily and slip back on easily.

Offline Elrobo

« Reply #181 on: Tue, 14 February 2012, 15:04:38 »
I only just got my first mechanical keyboard (ducky shine with cherry reds) and just joined. I was wondering if it was kosher if such a newbie made an order? I only really want a single R4 key to see how it feels and if it even fits with the LEDS on the switches. Also I don't see any reference to the sweet decepticon logo R4 key in some of the original pictures, I don't even see it being out of stock, any chance of seeing more of those?

Offline Playtrumpet

« Reply #182 on: Tue, 14 February 2012, 16:58:35 »
I'm wary about these keycaps as people seem to be finding blemishes or issues with tight fits. Will there be a second round where these problems are addressed more thoroughly?
Dvorak

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #183 on: Tue, 14 February 2012, 22:34:44 »
I'm more concerned about blemishes on the silver. Are they electroplated or (better) pure zinc?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #184 on: Wed, 15 February 2012, 02:09:58 »
When will the R4 blanks be available again?

Offline rekanise

« Reply #185 on: Sun, 19 February 2012, 00:10:39 »
is there anyway to tell when our order got shipped out?

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #186 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 16:38:00 »
Quote from: angry gamer;510074
Got my 37 silver legends yesterday.

Some thoughts:

Ordering:
My keys arrived 5 days after I ordered them. Ordered them on Saturday, went out on Monday, received on Wednesday.

Inspection:
There are a few small factory defects on a few of the keys, but nothing worth needing a replacement as seen earlier with some of the gold keys...perhaps it is limited to the the gold keys alone. All of the key faces are without blemishes. Each key was individually bagged in plastic.

(Attachment Link) 39867[/ATTACH]

Seating the keys:
A few things on this. This was a bit tedious, if one is not careful it seems like it would be easy to break the stem off of the switch if you force the key down too hard...I never found out and hopefully I never will. There seems to be a bit more play in the keys.

(Attachment Link) 39868[/ATTACH]
Sorry for the really crappy pic. It's a screen cap from a video camera, doesn't zoom in too well.

I was also confused that there are two different kinds of molds for the stems. I seated them from left to right top to bottom, and somewhere in the middle of doing this did I realize that it changed. The keys had the "B" stem but somewhere it changed to "A". I think around the "Z" key, I don't exactly remember. The "A" keys seemed to be harder to seat and don't seem quite as sturdy. Maybe there is a convention for doing this, if someone knows perhaps they could explain.

Action:
I haven't typed with them a whole lot yet, and I'm not sure how well these keys work with Cherry blues. They alter the action in a number of ways. For one, you can hear a metal "ting!" when you type. Not a really big deal to me. However, the classic "snap" you hear from blues is gone, and it is replaced with "thomp!" sound. More importantly, these keys somehow seem to "dampen" the feeling when you bottom out. Also, they are somewhat heavier than the factory keys. Consequently it doesn't take as much force to press, as the weight assists in force. This may or may not be a good thing. In my case it is somewhat not a good thing as I tend to make a lot of mistakes when I type and using blues has helped me correct this to a degree in that I am forced to type more accurately...it takes more effort to press a key and it's more of a subconscious thing where I make more of an effort to type better, even if my WPM falls off. These keys sort of defeat that. Overall, I don't really think it's the keys, but me.

I have to run, but I'll add more later. I at least wanted to get this up.

Also, props to feng for doing this. I paid up in January and had to back out once and feng promptly gave me a refund.

Thanks for sharing your experience, gamer!

Basically the blemish only appears on the gold ones, I think it's because of the workers who might have touched the key caps before they get dried.

And yes, there are two different kinds of molds for the stems. The right one as B in the picture, is the new mold. MKC told me that the left one as A is too tight so he changed the mold. But I think it's still tight though. :(

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #187 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 16:42:16 »
Quote from: Fobbah;511396

I'll post the 2nd round of this GB as soon as I can. I'm ready to do that. Just I have many homework and tests these two weeks, damn. x_x

The blank R4, R3, R2, and R1 will all be available to order. As well as the blank Tab, Capslock, and 1.25 modifier.

Also the 37 blank set will be back for sure. :)

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #188 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 16:46:20 »
Quote from: Kisakuku;513501
Yeah, I have a vertical line on the left side of the top surface of both of my Filco Esc caps.

I've talked to MKC, but there's nothing he can do to solve this problem so far. :(

There are huge amount of the key caps have this problem as a vertical line on the top of the key caps. But at least it's better than the blemish issue. -_-

Offline stuffstuff

« Reply #189 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 22:59:24 »
Would getting the wasd keycaps affect the feel of the keyboard?  How different are they from regular keys?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #190 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 18:31:54 »
Still waiting for confirmation on availability of the R4 blanks, and also round 2 of these. Will round 2 have any different selections? Or better tolerances/QC?

Offline stuffstuff

« Reply #191 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 13:46:34 »
Do you take credit card?  I don't have any money in my paypal account but I want a steelseries gold escape key.  I may have some money in it in a couple months though.

Offline rekanise

« Reply #192 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 13:50:49 »
still waiting to recieve mine, ordered quite some time ago

Offline jas0nt

« Reply #193 on: Wed, 29 February 2012, 18:32:08 »
Can you let me know if the Protoss/Terran keycaps are still available? How are they printed on the keycap?

Offline captain

« Reply #194 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 21:25:40 »
When and where (link please) is GB2 for these with the fit and finish problems resolved?
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline Skoobs

« Reply #195 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 15:53:59 »
want!

Offline wompwomp

« Reply #196 on: Sun, 18 March 2012, 05:45:08 »
Are these cherry/sp profile or filco profile?