Author Topic: [IC] EPBT TA Origins  (Read 74034 times)

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
[IC] EPBT TA Origins
« on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 16:28:17 »

With a strong love for vintage keyboards and keycaps with sub legends I completely fell in love with the Triumph Adler series. It is difficult to find those keycaps in a good state and the original Triumph Adler typewriter has a really weird layout with blank shift keys, a L-shaped enter and a weird bottom row. That’s when Ryan (u/quaddepo) and Lucas (me) thought of coming together and bringing TA Origins to life.

TA Origins is a clean and calm set inspired by vintage Triumph Adler Gabriele typewriter series. It features a muted grey base with 2 tint of blue legends, a darker shade for the primary legends and a lighter more colorful blue for the sub-legends. A total of 4 kits featuring a big base kit compatible for most mainstream keyboards, a blue alternative mod kit, a dual-tone 40’s kit for our smaller keyboards and a numpad kit.

During the design phase we tried to get as much to know about the origin of the keyboard and keycaps as possible, during our search we discovered there we lots of different variations of legends out there from Latin to Russian. As we didn't want to overwhelm ourselves by covering everything we stuck with the most known Latin layout of the series.

For the colors we will try to stay close to the original Triumph Adler series, however there is quite a bit of variation from set to set. As a result we have a little creative freedom to get the best out of this colour scheme.

TA Origins will be like the Original Triumph Adler series with Cherry keycap profile with dyesubbing by EnjoyPBT.

Let us know if you have any feedback or suggestions for the set, either by replying below or PMing Ryan or me (details in my signature). As this is still an early IC, pretty much all aspects of the set are still subject to change.

If you'd like you can join our Discord server to chat about this set. This is optional; all updates will still be posted her of course ;D

If you'd like to help support this set, you can add the following banner to your signature:

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=104718.0][img]http://quaddepos.nl/ghbanner.png[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 March 2020, 11:35:46 by dr_derivative »
GH/Reddit/DT: dr_derivative | Discord: dr_derivative#3618 | IG: dr_derivative_mk
MK Ireland Discord: https://discord.gg/2KdxJzR

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 May 2021, 13:01:12 by dr_derivative »
GH/Reddit/DT: dr_derivative | Discord: dr_derivative#3618 | IG: dr_derivative_mk

Offline _ODIN_

Re: [IC] EPBT TA Origins
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 16:30:41 »
Awesome very interested!

Offline lolpes

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 16:30:54 »
OMG it's happening!!!

Offline quaddepos

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 16:31:39 »
Whoop whoop! HYPE

Offline Crack85

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 16:40:35 »
Super clean set!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 16:42:01 »
Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bisoromi

• Formerly Duwang
  • owo
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 16:46:13 »
The mods would need to be reverse dyesubbed right?
(credits to Kokaloo)

Offline PeenixStarr

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 16:47:49 »
As we didn't want to overwhelm ourselves by covering everything we stuck with the most known Latin layout of the series.

Nice try, the most common version of this is Qwertz!

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 16:57:24 »
The mods would need to be reverse dyesubbed right?

Yep, you're right

As we didn't want to overwhelm ourselves by covering everything we stuck with the most known Latin layout of the series.

Nice try, the most common version of this is Qwertz!

I probably worded that awkwardly. What I meant was we chose Latin legends over Cyrillic, etc. which also exist but are way less common. The legends we used are the ones found on the English layout of the typewriter since the vast majority of this community speak English.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 17:13:10 »
Just realised I completely forgot to include the preliminary kit layouts in the post  :-[ . I've updated it now

Offline senryo

• Problems are challenges.
    • Thic Thock
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 17:19:51 »
interested!

Offline lolpes

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 17:27:33 »
I am really liking the mod colour!

Is it based on any particular machine, or more the TA mod colours?

EDIT:

Was referring to this blue colour on a typewriter set:

« Last Edit: Mon, 17 February 2020, 17:33:35 by lolpes »

Offline enrique.aliaga

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 17:27:37 »
Looks amazing! Not a fan of the colored mods, but definitely in for the Base kit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Xerpocalypse

• (◡ ‿ ◡ )
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 17:43:51 »
I like this colorway a lot! Very handsome, I'll keep my eyes out for this 👀

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 17:55:31 »

OK, in

Offline eas

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 17:55:50 »
This looks even better than my Beta 220 set

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 18:00:51 »
Yes.

Offline goddream

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 18:03:47 »
DAILY CLACK FOR OCE VENDOR PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASE
Rei XT-60 | Endash | KHDD | Jinsoul | Tengu | PC Dolphin | Nunu | Hyphen | Mc65 | Unikorn | Dahyun | CARDBORD

Offline Man In Blue

• formery Sollace
  • Man In Blue#9548
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 19:39:47 »
Im in love.
The Koreans did it all right ;)

Offline o3okevin

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 19:58:42 »
YES

Canadian vendor too please

Offline Sunhwan Jeong

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 21:03:52 »
Those blue on the modifiers should be done by dye-sublimation. Am I right? Actually I'm disappointed with kuro-shiro's dye-sublimation all over the keys with black color. So I'm worried about this too. I think double-shot injection is still good for successful results.

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 23:06:22 »
This looks very nice, as an owner of the GMK TA90 set, I’m keeping an eye on this one. How close to the TA90 colour will the alphas be, any idea? If you’re interested in matching them, I can send you some alphas to refer to.

Please please PLEASE consider a colevrak+ kit, you’re dye-subbing, so it can’t be as expensive as double shots (can it?) and you’re already making so many unusual keys anyway.

Offline japanesehorrorwriter

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 23:07:45 »
Y.E.S.

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 23:22:09 »
unless something has changed during the time of the epbt 2048 and this i dont think epbt has a 1.25u r3 mold for the 40s kit but im in for base and 40s regardless as long as it has the ortho keys heh

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 04:09:47 »

EDIT:

Show Image

It was actually inspired by seeing people pair OG alphas with blue mods kits such as GMK Electric Bluegaloo. I'm not completely sure what shade we'll end up going with for the set. It might well be something similar to the blue backspace in that photo  ;D

Vendors are still TBC, but we'll try to make sure we have proxies for every region

Those blue on the modifiers should be done by dye-sublimation. Am I right? Actually I'm disappointed with kuro-shiro's dye-sublimation all over the keys with black color. So I'm worried about this too. I think double-shot injection is still good for successful results.

I don't own a set of Kuro Shiro, but we'll make sure to get samples before the group buy so we have an accurate idea of quality. Doubleshot would give better results, but then we'd have to use different manufacturers for alphas and mods which makes things a lot more complicated. Also, ePBT's Cherry profile doesn't quite match GMK or JTK.

This looks very nice, as an owner of the GMK TA90 set, I’m keeping an eye on this one. How close to the TA90 colour will the alphas be, any idea? If you’re interested in matching them, I can send you some alphas to refer to.

Please please PLEASE consider a colevrak+ kit, you’re dye-subbing, so it can’t be as expensive as double shots (can it?) and you’re already making so many unusual keys anyway.

It probably won't be matched to TA90. The colours are similar, but there is a ton of variation from set to set with the OG typewriter caps, so we have a bit of freedom to choose shades we like  ;D

Depending on the level of interest in this set we might add more kits. No promises though

unless something has changed during the time of the epbt 2048 and this i dont think epbt has a 1.25u r3 mold for the 40s kit but im in for base and 40s regardless as long as it has the ortho keys heh

Yeah, I know there might be some keys that need to be cut. We'll need to discuss with the manufacturer first to see what can or can't be done

Offline hkiri

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 04:46:36 »
I need this in my life... now!

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 05:05:58 »

I don't own a set of Kuro Shiro, but we'll make sure to get samples before the group buy so we have an accurate idea of quality. Doubleshot would give better results, but then we'd have to use different manufacturers for alphas and mods which makes things a lot more complicated. Also, ePBT's Cherry profile doesn't quite match GMK or JTK.

there are problems with Kuro Shiro's reversed dye-sub keys so you might want to stay away from ePBT's reverse dye-sub.

you might want to look into Infinikeys, the manufacturer that do Katakana Cherry PBT Sets,Sanctuary Rebirth , PBT Hive, their reverse dye-sub job is excellent. (though... you might need to contact them through theKeyCompany)

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 07:07:54 »

EDIT:

Show Image

It was actually inspired by seeing people pair OG alphas with blue mods kits such as GMK Electric Bluegaloo. I'm not completely sure what shade we'll end up going with for the set. It might well be something similar to the blue backspace in that photo  ;D

Vendors are still TBC, but we'll try to make sure we have proxies for every region

It probably won't be matched to TA90. The colours are similar, but there is a ton of variation from set to set with the OG typewriter caps, so we have a bit of freedom to choose shades we like  ;D

Depending on the level of interest in this set we might add more kits. No promises though

Yeah, I know there might be some keys that need to be cut. We'll need to discuss with the manufacturer first to see what can or can't be done

Ok that explains the lighter blue for the mods. I was gonna say isn't OG TA sets a darker shade of blue, but I guess those are just the only ones I've seen, LOL! Anyways awesome looking kit I'll be keeping my eye on. Great work!

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 07:08:50 »
I had touch typing classes on these kinds of typewriters! I still have one at home that looks just like the first kit! That's so cool, might get this one :D

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 07:15:25 »

there are problems with Kuro Shiro's reversed dye-sub keys so you might want to stay away from ePBT's reverse dye-sub.

you might want to look into Infinikeys, the manufacturer that do Katakana Cherry PBT Sets,Sanctuary Rebirth , PBT Hive, their reverse dye-sub job is excellent. (though... you might need to contact them through theKeyCompany)

Infinikey have a truckload of issues, I won't buy an infinikey set so I hope he doesn't change to them. I'd have more faith in infinikey if TKC didn't just shrug the issues off with justifications like "everyone isn't picky", or "maybe it will be fixed. keep buying our sets and we will TRY to improve on the issues".

Nah fam

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 07:33:10 »

Thanks. Let's see how this unfolds.

Offline lolpes

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 08:03:54 »

Can you please link or show some pictured of the problems from this set?
i'm curious and don't doubt as reverse dye sub is always tricky, but the few pictures i have seen seem to be ok.

Offline Sunhwan Jeong

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 08:38:32 »

Can you please link or show some pictured of the problems from this set?
i'm curious and don't doubt as reverse dye sub is always tricky, but the few pictures i have seen seem to be ok.

The color is uneven. In other words, it is mottled. But it's hard to express it with photos.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 February 2020, 08:58:22 by Sunhwan Jeong »

Offline sangww

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 08:41:54 »
love what's in the 40s kit!!! Def getting one

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 12:24:02 »
have you thought about splitting the alphas and mods in the base set onto separate kits?

Offline scoopbb

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 12:52:56 »
have you thought about splitting the alphas and mods in the base set onto separate kits?
Yes, please. Or even two separate full base kits, preferably with a few duplicate keys in both colors (F1-F4, F9-F12, ~`, |\). Let's not waste plastic unnecessarily.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 12:53:56 »

epbt also seems to be doing ABS doubleshots now too, just food for thought

Please not ABS.

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 12:55:07 »

epbt also seems to be doing ABS doubleshots now too, just food for thought

Please not ABS.

i prefer pbt also just throwing it out there lol

Offline Tennstrong

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 14:48:17 »
I really like the caps from these boards so color me interested. Are the blue mods going to be similar or matched to TA beta 8050? They seem a bit pale/blue

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 16:02:05 »
Yes, please. Or even two separate full base kits, preferably with a few duplicate keys in both colors (F1-F4, F9-F12, ~`, |\). Let's not waste plastic unnecessarily.

We could do this. There does seem to be a lot of interest in the blue mods, so it makes sense that it's more than just an addon.

I really like the caps from these boards so color me interested. Are the blue mods going to be similar or matched to TA beta 8050? They seem a bit pale/blue

They probably won't be exactly matched, but we are planning to use a similar palish light blue for the mods.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 16:03:20 »
About the blue modkit; we will probably stick with reverse dyesub since the alphas need to be dyesubbed anyway. I think doubleshot ABS mods with PBT alphas would just be weird, I have a vintage keyset with mixed plastics and I would not recommend. The alphas could maybe be made with JTK tripleshot, but that would require a ton of new moulds if they can even tripleshot all the key sizes needed for this set.

Ideally we'd like to stick with ePBT for the blue mods. Kuro Shiro has a lot more contrast than this colourway, so these mods could easily come out a lot better. That's assuming they haven't improved their process in the meantime. If there do end up being issues we can look at an alternative, but discussing it now it a bit premature IMO.

Also, keep the suggestions coming for the kits. They'll all be considered when we finalise the kit layouts ;D

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 16:21:09 »
Also, keep the suggestions coming for the kits. They'll all be considered when we finalise the kit layouts ;D
Well, two things: The comma and dot keys in the kit mockup just have... 2 commas and 2 dots, which I hope is an oversight and not by design; also, I'd be a customer of a Colemak/Workman/Dvorak/et cetera kit and that would push me from maybe buying one kit to definitely buying three kits ;D

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 17:15:03 »
Love it. I am a bit worried about warped space bars though. It's one of the main reasons I prefer GMK sets. Would it be possible to offer a separate ABS space bar pack since epbt is apparently doing abs sets now? Having them made in house would help ensure color accuracy and key feel is much more important than shine resistance for me.

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 21:01:32 »
I'd be a customer of a Colemak/Workman/Dvorak/et cetera kit and that would push me from maybe buying one kit to definitely buying three kits ;D

Might I interest you in this upcoming gb?:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=102335.0

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 03:39:39 »
I'd be a customer of a Colemak/Workman/Dvorak/et cetera kit and that would push me from maybe buying one kit to definitely buying three kits ;D

Thanks! I'm having an eye on it but I'm not sure where to find WoB right now, do you think finding a WoB set will be easy in the future? Or at least WoB alphas?

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 03:42:47 »

Thanks! I'm having an eye on it but I'm not sure where to find WoB right now, do you think finding a WoB set will be easy in the future? Or at least WoB alphas?

We should not drift off topic, so if you have further questions about that gb, please post them there.

But, yes, I do think WOB will be available to buy in the future. It’s a standard set that comes up again and again on drop.com.

In fact I’m planning on buying several colevrak+ sets, and I don’t own a single WOB set yet!

Offline Kasterborous

• HEX Keyboards
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 03:50:57 »
yes pls gib

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 17:04:25 »
Well, two things: The comma and dot keys in the kit mockup just have... 2 commas and 2 dots, which I hope is an oversight and not by design; also, I'd be a customer of a Colemak/Workman/Dvorak/et cetera kit and that would push me from maybe buying one kit to definitely buying three kits ;D

Two commas and two dots is what the OG set had. A lot of typewriters had the same thing, I'm not completely sure why TBH :)) We were considering a kit that replaces some of the weird typewriter legends with their modern equivalents. We'll have to see if there's enough interest  though since the quirky legends are part of the appeal IMO.

And a colevrak kit has been the pretty highly requested, so it's definitely something we'll consider

Love it. I am a bit worried about warped space bars though. It's one of the main reasons I prefer GMK sets. Would it be possible to offer a separate ABS space bar pack since epbt is apparently doing abs sets now? Having them made in house would help ensure color accuracy and key feel is much more important than shine resistance for me.

We can ask about this, but I'm not sure how well it would work in practice. I don't know how easy colour matching ABS to PBT is given the different properties of the plastic. It's also pretty easy to unwarp the spacebars with some boiling water. But we'll see what we can offer closer to GB stage ;D