Author Topic: website idea?  (Read 1828 times)

Offline unicomp_uc

• Interboardal Love
website idea?
« on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 14:00:16 »
Hello All,

I know going in to this I'm sure to get some intentionally ridiculous responses and I'll enjoy reading them, but I'm also hoping to get at least a few helpful replies.

So, I'm pretty novice to anything computer related beyond a 'normal' computer users knowledge. This means, I can't code, identify impoprtant computer inards, design web sites, etc. However, I'm looking to change that and found a cool, free web design 'How To' on youtube and am ready to try and create my own website.

I'm having trouble coming up with a cool idea. I know you don't know me so you won't be able to give a personalized response and I'm not looking to make any money from the site... With that said; can you all help me think of a few cool website ideas?
Realforce 87U Silent (work) | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco Minila browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: website idea?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 14:04:13 »
key... boards?
I love Elzy

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 14:26:31 »
Kcahkeeg?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline unicomp_uc

• Interboardal Love
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 14:40:49 »
Kcahkeeg?

I don't know what that means...
Realforce 87U Silent (work) | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco Minila browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 14:43:24 »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 19:23:48 »
If you don't have anything specific in mind and just want to get some experience, why not make a personal website?  A homepage with a brief bio, sub-sections for projects you're working on or other things you want to share.  Similar to a blog, but not time-based.  This is something I've wanted to do for myself for awhile, but just haven't had the time.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 19:39:51 »
Make a game! With HTML5 nad CSS 3, it's a good idea.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline unicomp_uc

• Interboardal Love
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 01:48:12 »
thanks guys, good ideas!!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 05:02:51 »
Kcahkeeg?

That sounds like something Moose would like.

Read it backwards!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline unicomp_uc

• Interboardal Love
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 12:11:18 »

[/quote]Read it backwards!
[/quote]

I don't know if that was sneaky and clever or if I'm just slow at this point lol.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 12:13:34 »
You should make a website to help people learn about and identify computer parts. I hear people want to learn about that stuff.

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 10:55:21 »
If you don't have anything specific in mind and just want to get some experience, why not make a personal website?  A homepage with a brief bio, sub-sections for projects you're working on or other things you want to share.  Similar to a blog, but not time-based.  This is something I've wanted to do for myself for awhile, but just haven't had the time.

I'm a professional web developer and well, this is it to be honest.

Best option to go for at the moment mate.
你搞砸了

Offline vasouv

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 07:18:00 »
Yeah a personal website is a good idea, I want to mess primarily with php and javascript so I'll probably get a domain and host my website, it's quite cheap to do that. I don't have much to say about myself but I guess it's a cool way to learn a couple of languages and have a domain of your own :P

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 08:17:23 »

Plus, if you make mistakes on a personal site, it's a learning experience and not a blow to your business.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 08:41:15 »
I know there articles are meant to be jokes, but they make valid points. Things to avoid:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/design_hell

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/websites_stop

tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline mr. rampage

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 09:22:01 »

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 09:53:49 »
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/design_hell

Oh man, I'm living through this right now!!

Lens flare FTW. I was a little disappointed that blinking or marquee text was not included -- they enhance any website they touch.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."