geekhack Community > Reviews

BKE Redux Light Domes [Short review]

(1/3) > >>

Sup:
It seems that this is gaining attention once more, so after seven years, I'm utilizing my improved grammar skills to rectify my previous mistakes.

Introduction

Today, I am reviewing the BKE Redux light domes from KeyClack. I installed these domes on a stock HHKB Pro 2, utilized them for five days, and now feel confident in sharing my experience with you all.

Product Information

The BKE Redux is a remade and retooled BKE rubber dome replacement. Crafted from silicone, these domes are compressed to deliver a crisp and tactile typing sensation.

Weight, Tactility, Sound

Weight: Initially advertised at 45 grams, these domes exhibit a weight closer to 60 grams in reality. A Geekhack user named _Rubik conducted a coin test on the heavier variant, advertised at 60 grams, revealing an activation force ranging between 86 and 92 grams. My informal testing with European coins (7x20 cents and 2x10 cents) suggests an activation force of approximately 48-50 grams. However, I must note that my testing conditions lacked precision since I did not evaluate the domes inside my keyboard.

Tactility: While undeniably tactile, I find the degree of tactility to be excessive, deviating from the original Topre feel.

Sound: The installation of these domes significantly amplified the typing noise of my HHKB Pro 2, Not using silencing rings or lubrication. The forceful return of the dome to its original form causes the plastic slider to strike the plate with considerable force, resulting in a noise level comparable to Alps clicky switches.

Quality

The craftsmanship of these domes is impeccable, exhibiting no discernible flaws and maintaining a visual and tactile resemblance to genuine Topre domes.

Is it Worth it?

Personally, I find these domes unsatisfactory due to their perceived heaviness and stiffness compared to the stock domes, along with an excessive level of tactility that diverges from the authentic Topre experience. Moreover, the increased typing noise may pose an issue for myself and others, though this may vary for Topre boards employing a steel plate. Thus, I hesitate to recommend them for typing purposes, but I acknowledge their potential suitability for gaming.

microsoft windows:
EXCELLENT REVIEW!

Techno Trousers:
Nice review, thanks. Interesting to hear that you think the weight is like 60g. I'm assuming you're not in the U.S., but can you do a weight test with coins of a known weight to see how much force it takes to collapse a light dome?

Sup:

--- Quote from: Techno Trousers on Sun, 10 December 2017, 13:56:05 ---Nice review, thanks. Interesting to hear that you think the weight is like 60g. I'm assuming you're not in the U.S., but can you do a weight test with coins of a known weight to see how much force it takes to collapse a light dome?

--- End quote ---

I will try to figure out how much pressure is needed to collapse the BKE light dome

--- Quote from: microsoft windows on Sun, 10 December 2017, 13:01:25 ---EXCELLENT REVIEW!

--- End quote ---

Techno Trousers:

--- Quote from: Sup on Sun, 10 December 2017, 13:59:39 ---
I will try to figure out how much pressure is needed to collapse the BKE light dome

--- End quote ---

Much appreciated! The more hard data we have, the better.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version